Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I'm actually flipping my script on this one. Anyone who has read any of my posts knows that I have been a vocal critic of kaepernick and one of the opponents to giving him 18 million dollars a year. However, the bolded here really makes me ponder my stance. One of the reasons I have hesitated is because I'm not convinced he's an elite quarterback in the NFL, and I don't know that I have seen enough growth in the passing game to believe he ever will be. For whatever reason that may be; could be him, could be the way we utilize him and scheme in the passing game. Whatever. The point is, questions abound. However, because the salary cap is rising, we really are at a point where we can afford to give it to him without breaking our team apart in six million different ways. We already have the talent in place all around as well; teams that signed their quarterbacks to these big contracts in the past have already had to make their cuts and trim the payroll fat and now have positions that really need talent. We don't have that issue.

The market dictates what Kaepernick is worth, and even I cannot deny that he is worth the same as someone like Cutler. He just is. Do I want to lock him up super long term? Nope. Give him a 7 year deal like Cutler that is essentially a 3 or 4 year deal. As J said, contracts are only going to go up now that the cap is going up. I don't think we have any intention of letting him go this year or next year anyway.

Yeah, it is a risk for us either way. I don't think we are giving him 20 million, but a Cutler type of deal will be fine. Paraage Marathe is one of the best in the business at working the cap, and I trust him to handle this situation in a way that will not screw our future up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest, I decided to reply here so as to not pollute the Garrapolo thread.

49ers Finest wrote:
The difference between the two is pretty obvious to me. It's not blaming one and not the other.

It's true that Alex didn't win us the game. But he didn't lose it either.
Kap lost us the game. He have the defense the ball 3 times in the most important quarter. And two times in scoring position if I remember right.

That's the difference for me. Oh and Alex signed for 9 after a good season knowing that the team made him better. Kap askin for double... Another difference for me

I was talking about Kap's Super Bowl game. I don't disagree that he cost us the NFCCG, although I think there's a lot more to it than just him. He didn't end the Super Bowl with an interception, he just wasn't able to get the points in the end to win it. Similar to how Alex failed to get us points in the end. But for some reason, Alex is off the hook, and Kap is at fault.

When it's Alex's game, the fault gets shifted to Williams, which is fair. However, at least be consistent with the argument. How about with Kap's SB game? No mention of the LaMichael James fumble on the Raven 24 yard line?

Well wait now. Let's put aside for a moment Alex's 2 TD and zero turnover game compared to Kap's 1 TD and 3 turnovers, and let's also ignore Kap's 51 QBR compared to ALex's QBR of just short of 100 and let's do look at "points in the end", because it's not very close there either. Alex led the team on a drive late in the 3rd Q to take the lead. On the very next possession he was denied the opportunity to build on that lead because of the muffed punt. Then he, for the second time, led the team on a scoring drive to tie the game - not only failing to make a mistake but actually making up for one someone else made. And of course he was denied yet another opportunity to make the game-scoring drive by the second muffed punt and that cost us the game, with the defense on the field, no with ALex throwing an int to lose it.

Sure he didn't score every time he had the ball, but he did have two late game scoring drives, and zero turnovers, compared to zero late game scoring drives for Kap and three straight turnovers. Not really a very close comparison at all. I feel wholly comfortable not giving nearly as much blame to Alex for that loss as to Kap for this one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, I'm good with him playing his contract out, but QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Salary cap will be 150+ mil in two years, but I'd be good with not giving him a deal this offseason.

I'm actually flipping my script on this one. Anyone who has read any of my posts knows that I have been a vocal critic of kaepernick and one of the opponents to giving him 18 million dollars a year. However, the bolded here really makes me ponder my stance. One of the reasons I have hesitated is because I'm not convinced he's an elite quarterback in the NFL, and I don't know that I have seen enough growth in the passing game to believe he ever will be. For whatever reason that may be; could be him, could be the way we utilize him and scheme in the passing game. Whatever. The point is, questions abound. However, because the salary cap is rising, we really are at a point where we can afford to give it to him without breaking our team apart in six million different ways. We already have the talent in place all around as well; teams that signed their quarterbacks to these big contracts in the past have already had to make their cuts and trim the payroll fat and now have positions that really need talent. We don't have that issue.

The market dictates what Kaepernick is worth, and even I cannot deny that he is worth the same as someone like Cutler. He just is. Do I want to lock him up super long term? Nope. Give him a 7 year deal like Cutler that is essentially a 3 or 4 year deal. As J said, contracts are only going to go up now that the cap is going up. I don't think we have any intention of letting him go this year or next year anyway.

That's what I've been saying. Next year, $18 million might look like a bargain with that cap ceiling. There's no doubt in my mind that if he signs a deal this season, it will have a lot of incentives.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, I'm good with him playing his contract out, but QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Salary cap will be 150+ mil in two years, but I'd be good with not giving him a deal this offseason.

Yeah, the rising salary cap is the single most important reason to sign Kap long-term as fast as we can. If we give him 18 now, it is high right now, but at the end of the term, 18 will be small in comparison with other premium QBs, and small in relation to our salary cap (relatively speaking). I remember in hockey, when an average defenseman was signed for something like 6 years/4 mil per year. There was major criticism flying around. 4 was way too much. But I tried to remind people that at the end of the 6 years, in the context of the salary cap and other salaries, 4 wouldn't be that bad. Kap might just end up being a bargain at 18-20 in 5 years. We just have to make a deal that protects us, and dangles something enticing enough for Kap.

I made my contract proposal the other day, and it was completely ignored for silly debates about Alex and Eli Manning... go back and re-read my post, everyone. I thought it was quite brilliant.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
3.) Smith was a free agent last season and there was no market for him.
Yes, Smith technically was a free agent in 2012, but there needs to be a large asterisk next to that designation. Everyone in the league assumed the 49ers would re-sign Smith because the 49ers said they would do so - Remember Jim Harbaugh-heart-Alex Smith at Pebble Beach last year? - and because Smith said he wanted to be back. It was only when the 49ers offered Smith a mediocre deal and pursued Peyton Manning that Smith figured he ought to make himself available on the open market. But that was nearly a week into free agency, and most teams already had made their plans.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/02/the-five-myths-about-the-49ers-and-alex-smith.html

it's a real shame that Alex and the NFCCG has to keep getting brought into this mess... This stuff is all so recycled and old.

As for the NFCCG... an important thing to note was that this was a yr 1 offense. We also had crap on the field like Brett Swain and some other nobodies I can't even recall. I like how someone stated that Alex didn't do enough to win that game, but he sure as hell didn't lose it for us either. Eli had vastly superior WRs that day.. and he still managed to luck out on two would-be easy INTs. 2 TD passes from Alex, right? a 4th quarter drive and TD pass that tied the game 17 all, right? After that, it was back and forth defense forcing punts, right? until finally, KW fumbled yet again in enemy territory.

Time to let this go, and stop using it to deflect on the issues of today...

I'm not saying Alex lost the game, I don't think he did. What I was wondering, was why the criticism isn't ever fair. For example, since we're on the topic of Alex's NFCCG game, you're defecting a lot of the loss onto the rest of the team; which is fair imo. However, how come when it comes to Kap, why is it always him? No mention of the terrible o-line play, or insufficient run game?

I don't deny that Kap cost us another SB birth with that interception, but I'm talking about people who are saying he practically cost us TWO Super Bowls. Why didn't Alex cost us one? Much like Kap's SB game, in the 2011 NFCCG, Alex was unable to get us into scoring position after multiple tries. Yet somehow he gets a pass? Kind of unfair don't you think?

NO ONE has said he single-handedly lost the SB for us, SoCal! I said he CONTRIBUTED to the loss. Unfortunately so did LaMike, Special Teams, etc...
What evidence is there that Alex lost us a chance at the SB? He actually scored TD(s) in the 4th qrtr. He had much worse WRs than we do now. Kyle Williams' 2 disastrous returns coupled with the refs denying us a fumble (Ahmed Bradshaw was stripped of that ball BEFORE he was brought down) is what cost us that game.

Like I said, with Alex's loss, our WR core gets brought, and our terrible ST play gets brought up. And I said this before, I feel that it's fair. On the flip side, how come when Kap loses, nothing else besides his own play gets brought up?

A lot of the times, Alex got the benefit of the doubt when he struggled. However, when it comes to Kap, all that gets thrown out the window.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So what does having stated Kaepernick being the only reason we were in the game have to do with excusing his late turnovers? When did that happen? NO one said Kaepernick WASN'T terrible in the 4th quarter. It is just that BEFORE that, he was the main reason we were in the game.

Again, you cherry pick your arguments to make your case look better. NO one said his production offset his turnovers. But just stop acting like protecting the ball is the end all be all. When you have three turnovers are you going to likely win? NO, and you said you discovered teams have a better chance of winning by not turning it over and having less than 200 yards compared to throwing for more yards but having more turnovers? Um, have you ever thought why that would be true? Because if you are winning and don't have to throw it much, you will have less than 200 passing yards. Against the Jaguars Kaepernick had 149 yards in the first half and ended up with 164. Why? Because we threw the ball one time in the 2nd half.

And to your last point, I don't even know where to begin. His scramble of 58 yards would not be the same as an 58 yard pass? Why not? Seattle wasn't going to change their game plan either way. They will always trust their CBs against our WRs and that will never change. Does any of our WRs have a physical mismatch against Sherman or Maxwell? Nope, but could our WRs still make plays? Absolutely, but you are COMPLETELY underselling what Kaepernick did with his legs. You are just writing it off saying well it was alright that he did that, but would have been much better if he made those plays with his arm. That is not even considering the fact we used more DESIGNED run plays than we usually do and that was a big part of the game plan. I'm not talking about the scrambles, but he had plenty of yards the other way as well. And yes, 14-24 for 150 yards was not good enough. But his overall game including what he did with his legs made him effective.

So since I'm sure you watched the NO/SEA game along with the DEN/SEA one, from all three QBs which one in your opinion did more damage against that GREAT defense?

I beg to disagree with this statement, and it is the heart of my argument. We are a rushing team - and Seattle knows that. They are a great rushing defense - and we know that. If we design a game plan, or execute a game plan that allows them to play 8 or even 9 men in the box and then try to run against that, we will have little to no success (as was the case). If, on the other hand, we successfully complete a bunch of passes and are moving the ball against the loaded-box defense by passing the ball, either of two things would happen - we continue to move the ball passing and probably for more yardage than our running game would normally bring, or we force them to play 7 or even 6 in the box, and then we can successfully run. It's silly to argue they would never adjust their defense, especially if were ripping them apart through the air.

J - it's not worth continuing to argue with you because you and I fundamentally disagree on this. You're still focusing on "production". You're still saying he was "effective". I'm saying I do not measure a QB by how many yards he gets - either passing or running. It's not about "production". It's about winning. When a QB personally makes 3 TOs he gives his team just about no chance to win. You can't keep saying you understand that but then say "but he was "effective" or "productive". Those words are meaningless in the context of a QB who gives his team no chance to win. I've pointed out week after week after week, for more than one season now, that the most "productive" QBs of any given week are often in losing efforts. I'm saying we would have had a better chance to win the game if Kap had had zero rushing yards and zero turnovers than the game he had. In fact, as my mind is rambling a bit now I'm wondering how many instances there are of a QB have a QBR of 50 in a game, but a lot of running yards, and having his team win. Maybe it happens, but I'll bet not very often. I mean can you think of many examples? Does it sound like a winning formula to you? I know everyone remembers Kap running wild agasint GB last year. But I'll bet hardly anyone remembers him having a QBR of over 90 that game. Give him a 50 instead, and maybe we wouldn't win that one either despite almost 200 rushing yards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is not worth continuing this discussion, I will save my response Laughing .

Anyways, predictions on if Kap gets a deal done this offseason or not? I'll guess NO!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Since it is not worth continuing this discussion, I will save my response Laughing .

Anyways, predictions on if Kap gets a deal done this offseason or not? I'll guess NO!

I think we will get a deal done soon... whether we end up regretting it down the road? I'm feeling 60% yes... 40% no... Think

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give my opinion on whether Kaepernick is worth $18 million in a few days, but before I do - I want to do a little poll. Of the two players below - which one would you pick to quarterback this team? After you pick - I ask a second question - if all you knew were that each of the following quarterbacks were very young and could each quarterback the team for the next decade - would you consider either a franchise QB?

Player A:

274 of 438 (62.6% completion percentage), 3675 yards, 23 TDs, 7 INTs, 100 QBR/ 96 rushes 544 yards (5.7 YPA), 4 TDs

Player B:

278 of 451 (61.6% completion percentage), 3712 yards, 22 TDs, 3 INTs, 101.2 QBR/ 86 rushes 540 yards (6.3 YPA), 3 TDs

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest, I decided to reply here so as to not pollute the Garrapolo thread.

49ers Finest wrote:
The difference between the two is pretty obvious to me. It's not blaming one and not the other.

Kap lost us the game. He have the defense the ball 3 times in the most important quarter. And two times in scoring position if I remember right.

That's the difference for me. Oh and Alex signed for 9 after a good season knowing that the team made him better. Kap askin for double... Another difference for me

I was talking about Kap's Super Bowl game. I don't disagree that he cost us the NFCCG, although I think there's a lot more to it than just him. He didn't end the Super Bowl with an interception, he just wasn't able to get the points in the end to win it. Similar to how Alex failed to get us points in the end. But for some reason, Alex is off the hook, and Kap is at fault.

When it's Alex's game, the fault gets shifted to Williams, which is fair. However, at least be consistent with the argument. How about with Kap's SB game? No mention of the LaMichael James fumble on the Raven 24 yard line?

Well wait now. Let's put aside for a moment Alex's 2 TD and zero turnover game compared to Kap's 1 TD and 3 turnovers, and let's also ignore Kap's 51 QBR compared to ALex's QBR of just short of 100 and let's do look at "points in the end", because it's not very close there either. Alex led the team on a drive late in the 3rd Q to take the lead. On the very next possession he was denied the opportunity to build on that lead because of the muffed punt. Then he, for the second time, led the team on a scoring drive to tie the game - not only failing to make a mistake but actually making up for one someone else made. And of course he was denied yet another opportunity to make the game-scoring drive by the second muffed punt and that cost us the game, with the defense on the field, no with ALex throwing an int to lose it.

Sure he didn't score every time he had the ball, but he did have two late game scoring drives, and zero turnovers, compared to zero late game scoring drives for Kap and three straight turnovers. Not really a very close comparison at all. I feel wholly comfortable not giving nearly as much blame to Alex for that loss as to Kap for this one.

If you read my post, I'm talking about Kap's Super Bowl game, not his NFCCG. Which I already said he screwed up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
I'm going to give my opinion on whether Kaepernick is worth $18 million in a few days, but before I do - I want to do a little poll. Of the two players below - which one would you pick to quarterback this team? After you pick - I ask a second question - if all you knew were that each of the following quarterbacks were very young and could each quarterback the team for the next decade - would you consider either a franchise QB?

Player A:

274 of 438 (62.6% completion percentage), 3675 yards, 23 TDs, 7 INTs, 100 QBR/ 96 rushes 544 yards (5.7 YPA), 4 TDs

Player B:

278 of 451 (61.6% completion percentage), 3712 yards, 22 TDs, 3 INTs, 101.2 QBR/ 86 rushes 540 yards (6.3 YPA), 3 TDs

Wow, both QBs with YPA over 8 which is great. I'd say give me EITHER!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Every one of our guys who left here for more money, and for an amount we were not willing to pay was worth what they got paid. So much depends on the QB that people will "overpay" for that position more than any other. If someone ponys up $20 million per year then that's what he's worth. But it doesn't necessarily mean that's what we should be willing to pay him. We've let other valuable contributors go because we found their price tag too high. But you just can't afford to do that with a QB unless you have one just as good sitting behind him. This is one reason I kind of like Oldie's pitch for Garapolo. Bring him and develop him for a year. Maybe he's not as good as Kap ... but maybe he is. Right now we have no option other than to pay him what he wants, and that might wreck the chances of getting or keeping other guys.

Boldin is here because of the contract they gave Flacco. And we are much better because of it, and they are much worse because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Player A:

Player B:

Wow, both QBs with YPA over 8 which is great. I'd say give me EITHER!

You're probably not going to like my answer.

I like hypotheticals, but I can't choose from just this. How much time does each guy get to pass? How good is each guy's receiving corps? Does his team have running game to complement the passing attack? How do they do late in close games when their team needs a score? How good are they at audibling - at least for running plays since it seems like their passing results are in the same ballpark. What kind of success have they had (winning I mean)? How have they played in the games that mattered most to their teams? If they're young, as you are proposing, how does this season compare to last? Are they improving, declining, or staying the same? What am I anticipating in the way of future development based on whatever I use to judge that sort of thing? Even though both are young, have they in fact got the same amount of experience?

These are all things that help differentiate between guys who would otherwise seem to be pretty similar. And your question about "franchise QB" causes me to think about what in the world I even mean when I think of a guy that way. I think I mean one of the top handful of QBs in the league and who makes his team a winner, and maybe even helps them consistently play above the expected level you expect from that team. None of that can be answered by the stats alone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:

Yeah, it is a risk for us either way. I don't think we are giving him 20 million, but a Cutler type of deal will be fine. Paraage Marathe is one of the best in the business at working the cap, and I trust him to handle this situation in a way that will not screw our future up.

The question for me really, is what are our options? I assume playing Colt all year would not be an option. So either we pay Kap whatever he will settle for, even if it's high teens, or we start figuring out who to replace him with. And despite all the criticism, from me and others, he still has a ton of upside (I've never said otherwise).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

49ers Finest wrote:

If you read my post, I'm talking about Kap's Super Bowl game, not his NFCCG. Which I already said he screwed up.

Oops. Sorry. Yeah. Kap had a perfectly fine game that day. Well not exactly "perfectly fine" or he'd have hit one of those final passes. But, yeah, better game than Alex's last game the year before, I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 44 of 86

Jump to: