Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm good with him playing his contract out, but QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Salary cap will be 150+ mil in two years, but I'd be good with not giving him a deal this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Let him play out and bet on himself Reply with quote

Xcusesr4losers wrote:
I don't think we should panic and give kaepernick the $20+ mill he is seeking. Let's let him play out his contract and see if he delivers in the clutch this upcoming season. We have been on the cusp of winning #6 ever since Harbaugh got here. If not for the kyle william's fumbles and the Sherman tip we probably play in 3 straight SBs. Our Defense is what gets us there year in and out. Alex Smith got us as far as Kaepernick did (nfcc, within a play of SB). our offense is a run-oriented ball control offense and will stay the same as long as Jim is our coach. If we pay Kaep his $20+mill then we will have the same situation the Ravens are in. Forced to renounce other positions that aren't as glamorous yet extremely important to the team.

So let him play out his contract and hopefully he learns from his mistakes brings #6 home and franchise tag him next year. If we are to come close to getting #6 next year our defense has to stay strong.

Good post.

and big9er... to add to this quote of yours... which I overall thought excellent...

Quote:
For a QB, "net production" has to include the positive yards he gains OFFSET BY the mistakes he makes.

Some turnovers are obviously less significant than others ( I know.. duh, right? )

If a QB chucks up a hail mary on 4th and long and likely their last possession of the game? Hey. so what? He tried in a desperate moment with nothing left to lose.

If that same QB chucks up a 1st down INT when he didn't need to? That can be a true killer. If he chucks up INTs or fumbles that are or get returned to the short field for opponents? Killers...

If he chucks up a 2nd quarter INT with the game tied and the INT is a glorified 45 yd punt with no return? So what? Not a big deal.

So this is why it may be more difficult to add up all turnovers, as you once did. But anyway... some of Kaep's turnovers were brutal.. and yeah, they greatly take away from any few-and-far-between positive plays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, you have to look at the situation the turnovers occur, and Kap's certainly were a killer. That goes without saying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest, I decided to reply here so as to not pollute the Garrapolo thread.

49ers Finest wrote:
The difference between the two is pretty obvious to me. It's not blaming one and not the other.

It's true that Alex didn't win us the game. But he didn't lose it either.
Kap lost us the game. He have the defense the ball 3 times in the most important quarter. And two times in scoring position if I remember right.

That's the difference for me. Oh and Alex signed for 9 after a good season knowing that the team made him better. Kap askin for double... Another difference for me

I was talking about Kap's Super Bowl game. I don't disagree that he cost us the NFCCG, although I think there's a lot more to it than just him. He didn't end the Super Bowl with an interception, he just wasn't able to get the points in the end to win it. Similar to how Alex failed to get us points in the end. But for some reason, Alex is off the hook, and Kap is at fault.

When it's Alex's game, the fault gets shifted to Williams, which is fair. However, at least be consistent with the argument. How about with Kap's SB game? No mention of the LaMichael James fumble on the Raven 24 yard line?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Exactly, you have to look at the situation the turnovers occur, and Kap's certainly were a killer. That goes without saying.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

Yep, that's the part I don't understand. It has been discussed quite a bit but everyone agrees already.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest, I decided to reply here so as to not pollute the Garrapolo thread.

49ers Finest wrote:
The difference between the two is pretty obvious to me. It's not blaming one and not the other.

It's true that Alex didn't win us the game. But he didn't lose it either.
Kap lost us the game. He have the defense the ball 3 times in the most important quarter. And two times in scoring position if I remember right.

That's the difference for me. Oh and Alex signed for 9 after a good season knowing that the team made him better. Kap askin for double... Another difference for me

I was talking about Kap's Super Bowl game. I don't disagree that he cost us the NFCCG, although I think there's a lot more to it than just him. He didn't end the Super Bowl with an interception, he just wasn't able to get the points in the end to win it. Similar to how Alex failed to get us points in the end. But for some reason, Alex is off the hook, and Kap is at fault.

When it's Alex's game, the fault gets shifted to Williams, which is fair. However, at least be consistent with the argument. How about with Kap's SB game? No mention of the LaMichael James fumble on the Raven 24 yard line?

i was talking about the hawks game

the sb was ugly everywhere. lamike. slow d in first half. slow o in first half. refs.

flacco outplayed kap though.
if whitner bettered his play the offseason before instead of last. damn. we win that sb easy. i remember him getting picked of for tds like crazy. in that game specifically, but it was the whole season too Crying or Very sad
eli and alex were about even imo (i thought alex played slightly better at the time... dont remember the game very much now)

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wasn't really good aside from that bomb to Davis. Eli clearly was superior.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Alex wasn't really good aside from that bomb to Davis. Eli clearly was superior.

neither were superior. they both had bad games.
why was eli clearly superior?

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Why wasn't he superior? Neither played great for sure, but Eli was better. We couldn't sustain a drive AT ALL late in the game. I mean we must have had four possessions in a row with a total of one first down. Eli was getting things going but we'd step up right when they got past midfield.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Why wasn't he superior? Neither played great for sure, but Eli was better. We couldn't sustain a drive AT ALL late in the game. I mean we must have had four possessions in a row with a total of one first down. Eli was getting things going but we'd step up right when they got past midfield.

Eli definitely did better, especially with what our defense was doing to him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, our defense absolutely murdered him. One of the most gutsiest performances I have ever seen by a QB. I don't even know the stats from the two, but we really couldn't generate much after the first bomb to Davis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much respect to Eli for that game. Incredible. I may never see the beating he took in that game replicated.

Now, that being said, in regard to the conversation at hand, I would say that yes, Eli played better, not just because he took a beating, but I don't care how well the Giants defense was playing that postseason; they had nothing on our defense that year, which was incredible (even with the in-game injuries). So a nod to Eli for that. However, in Alex's defense, if you look at the 4 quarterbacks who played the Giants that postseason, which were Ryan, Rodgers, Smith and Brady, you could argue the only quarterback who played better than Smith was Brady in the superbowl (case could be made for Rodgers as well, but I thought he played particularly poorly that game and his bulk numbers were more or less meaningless).

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, I'm good with him playing his contract out, but QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Salary cap will be 150+ mil in two years, but I'd be good with not giving him a deal this offseason.

I'm actually flipping my script on this one. Anyone who has read any of my posts knows that I have been a vocal critic of kaepernick and one of the opponents to giving him 18 million dollars a year. However, the bolded here really makes me ponder my stance. One of the reasons I have hesitated is because I'm not convinced he's an elite quarterback in the NFL, and I don't know that I have seen enough growth in the passing game to believe he ever will be. For whatever reason that may be; could be him, could be the way we utilize him and scheme in the passing game. Whatever. The point is, questions abound. However, because the salary cap is rising, we really are at a point where we can afford to give it to him without breaking our team apart in six million different ways. We already have the talent in place all around as well; teams that signed their quarterbacks to these big contracts in the past have already had to make their cuts and trim the payroll fat and now have positions that really need talent. We don't have that issue.

The market dictates what Kaepernick is worth, and even I cannot deny that he is worth the same as someone like Cutler. He just is. Do I want to lock him up super long term? Nope. Give him a 7 year deal like Cutler that is essentially a 3 or 4 year deal. As J said, contracts are only going to go up now that the cap is going up. I don't think we have any intention of letting him go this year or next year anyway.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Much respect to Eli for that game. Incredible. I may never see the beating he took in that game replicated.

Now, that being said, in regard to the conversation at hand, I would say that yes, Eli played better, not just because he took a beating, but I don't care how well the Giants defense was playing that postseason; they had nothing on our defense that year, which was incredible (even with the in-game injuries). So a nod to Eli for that. However, in Alex's defense, if you look at the 4 quarterbacks who played the Giants that postseason, which were Ryan, Rodgers, Smith and Brady, you could argue the only quarterback who played better than Smith was Brady in the superbowl (case could be made for Rodgers as well, but I thought he played particularly poorly that game and his bulk numbers were more or less meaningless).

I was going to say that as well, our defense was an absolute BEAST that year. Eli didn't dominate us or anything, but the man just kept making play after play. Our pass defense was lacking that season. Shame, because last two years it has been top 10 even without an elite CB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 43 of 86

Jump to: