Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
As for him not making enough money off endorsements? Um, many players make endorsement money and still take as much money as they could. It is easier said than done telling someone to take less money. As fans we always hope players would do that, but how often does that happen? If you are making 90K and have a chance to make 120K, would you turn that down? I know players make millions but the point still stands.

if you have a smart agent and are a smart guy.... its not that crazy
victor cruz is an excellent example

idk what were offering him. but for example if we are offering him 15 and he isnt taking it because he wants 18, hes an idiot
his endorsements, which wil continue if he stayed here from nike, beats, jag, will not be there if he goes to jax (maybe for a year, but then there gone). also the team and weapons hes surrounded by... good luck with that

best case scenario for me personally is that we draft a qb in 2 or 3. kap starts this year and we do well (maybe win the sb).
then our rookie has shown enough in practice for our staff then we put the nonexclusive tag on kap. a team like jax, oak, clev give us 2 firsts for him and pay him.
or we exclusive tag him next season. then nonexclusive tag him the next year or trade him. and the rookie is ready have 2 years on the bench.

not sure if we can tag then noexclusive tag him the year after. but if we can, would work out good

i dont like us extending him this season. he hasnt shown enough improvement and i dont think hes worth what peyton and a little less than what aaron is making. these guys are on another level. i dont care what cutler and sanchez got, we havent let that affect us with past fas and i hope we dont start now.
he gets a mill this year or whatever. the tag should be about 18-19 mill i think. so average 20 mill for 2 seasons. which is about what he supposedly wants per season

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not crazy, but still easier said than none. In most cases, taking a hometown discount is a myth, especially for someone coming off their rookie contract. Now, maybe his next contract he takes a little less, but I think he will want to make as much as he could this time around. We don't have to pay him 18-20 million that he reportedly wants and could let him bet on himself. That is a win-win for us and then we could gladly pay him that amount if he wins us a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider (and it saddens me to think about it), it's that if we sign him for 18 per, and a long enough term, at the end of his contract, he'll possibly end up being a bargain, because QB salaries will have increased to 25 per during that time. So, in a sense, it's better to extend him now, rather than wait for the cap to rise significantly.

Right now, I really hate Flacco and his agent for raising the bar the way they did. I was okay with Brees, Manning and Rodgers getting 20 millions, because they're the best. Now, if any QB, however average he is, gets 20, we're screwed.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Obfuscation, I say! Kap says that, waits till Cam and Russell both signs for 20+ million, then next year, he signs a team-friendly 12 million per contract, while the other teams are tight to the cap, then DYNASTY, BABY!

Honestly, Kap doesn't have the stats to justify that salary. 3100 yards, 21 TDs... if he cites his record as a starter, which is his only outstanding statistic... 21-9... big deal. Alex was what, 20-6? He doesn't have much to support his claims that he's worth 2 and a half times more money than our next highest paid player, who is probably even more important to the team's success than Kap is. Seriously, if he really asks for that much money (20+), he'll really drop in my esteem (not that it bothers him much anyway).

a fresh idea! Draft Jimmy G in the 2nd... let Kaep play out his 2014 contract and likely walk away for the FA pig-fest. See how he likes playing for a new and un-stacked team!

( don't already make enough from your lame endorsements, Kaep? ) Rolling Eyes

we get it oldman….you don't like Kaep. You never have. He took your man crushes spot. Get over it man.

Um...he is stating an opinion which is what we are allowed to do on a forum, right? If you don't like it...scroll on, man! It's classier than telling someone to 'get over it'.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Obfuscation, I say! Kap says that, waits till Cam and Russell both signs for 20+ million, then next year, he signs a team-friendly 12 million per contract, while the other teams are tight to the cap, then DYNASTY, BABY!

Honestly, Kap doesn't have the stats to justify that salary. 3100 yards, 21 TDs... if he cites his record as a starter, which is his only outstanding statistic... 21-9... big deal. Alex was what, 20-6? He doesn't have much to support his claims that he's worth 2 and a half times more money than our next highest paid player, who is probably even more important to the team's success than Kap is. Seriously, if he really asks for that much money (20+), he'll really drop in my esteem (not that it bothers him much anyway).

a fresh idea! Draft Jimmy G in the 2nd... let Kaep play out his 2014 contract and likely walk away for the FA pig-fest. See how he likes playing for a new and un-stacked team!

we get it oldman….you don't like Kaep. You never have. He took your man crushes spot. Get over it man.

Um...he is stating an opinion which is what we are allowed to do on a forum, right? If you don't like it...scroll on, man! It's classier than telling someone to 'get over it'.

we get it chrissooner, you like oldman. You always have. He is your man crush! Get over it, man!

Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

we get it chrissooner, you like oldman. You always have. He is your man crush! Get over it, man!

Applause Very good sir! Not good for me to laugh out loud while my students are quietly working... Embarassed
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Applause Very good sir! Not good for me to laugh out loud while my students are quietly working... Embarassed

I disturbed education in the US. Next step: we (canada) storm the border!

Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

You and what army?! Wait, if you're threatening us with Newfies then I surrender NOW! Just keep those Newfies to yourself! Don't bring them south of the border... Pray
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

It's an opinion we have all read multiple times. We know what his opinion is on Kaep. And if you don't like my opinion because it is not as classy or it isn't the same as a guy that has 30+ thousand posts then you can take your own advice and scroll on, man!.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

You and what army?! Wait, if you're threatening us with Newfies then I surrender NOW! Just keep those Newfies to yourself! Don't bring them south of the border... Pray

Hey, there's a reason why we put them on their own island. We don't want anything to do with them. It's the same reason why we (quebecers) put all the idiots on an island called Montréal.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable, the Cohn's are truly pathetic and have no shame at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/kaepernicks-mom-takes-issue-with-columnists-criticism/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Unbelievable, the Cohn's are truly pathetic and have no shame at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/kaepernicks-mom-takes-issue-with-columnists-criticism/

I saw a similar article with his moms tweet and thought it was hilarious.

And stop giving pft hits j! You can't read that no mo!

new sig... sorry alex
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this point gets lost in anything else I say below I want to make clear. I am not saying he is a bad quarterback, or even not a good one. I'm saying he is not a great one, at least not yet. And I'm also saying he had a bad championship game - despite his passing and running totals. And for those reasons I don't think he has yet earned a $20 million per year contract. Now on to what you asked about.

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Kap's turnovers were absolutely inexcusable, but who is trying to argue otherwise?

Well, for one, the person who said he is the only reason we were even in the game, and frankly, I think you're suggesting it too because you're focusing on what you perceive as his "production". So let me talk about that

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I don't care how he did it, but production is production.

First we have to define production, and I'm pretty sure this is where you and I differ significantly. In b-ball these days they keep track not only of how many points a guy scores, but how many he gives up on defense. His "net production" is what matters. For a QB, "net production" has to include the positive yards he gains OFFSET BY the mistakes he makes. You yourself have already made clear that you understand that a team that makes a lot of TOs has little chance of winning. So you should understand that when those TOs come from the QB then it takes a huge amount of yardage gained by him to offset them. No amount of output is sufficient to offset a large number of turnovers. So "net production" is not high when a QB makes a lot of turnovers. In several weeks of checking every single game I discovered something that I believe in fact is generally true. A team has a better chance of winning a gamew hen its QB runs for zero yards, or passes for less than 200, or throws zero touchdown passes, than when he makes a bunch of turnovers. In other words, the "net production" of a QB who makes a bunch of QBs is not very high at all - no matter how many yards he gets rushing or passing.

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
And you said yards from his legs aren't the same as yards from his arm? Why?

I'm not saying this is a fact. It's just what I think and I'm happy to explain it since you asked. My reasoning is something like this ... lotf of guys can run the ball. It is a zero sum game though. Any run a QB makes is one that a RB did not make. Any rushing yards a QB makes are rushing yards that a RB did not have an opportunity to make. But while there are several guys that can run the ball, there is only one who can pass it. If a QB is runs instead of passing, or, worse, bails out of the pocket and runs when he has receivers open, then all he is doing is trading running yards for passing yards. If that seems like an even trade to you I ccontend it is not. Why? Because a team's best chance of being successful is to have a balanced attack. You can prefer the pass, or the run, but you will be more successful if you can do both. In particular, everyone knows you can pass for several hundred yards, but it is almost impossible to run for several hundred yards. If there is no no viable threat of passing for a lot of yards, or even breaking a big passing play for a TD it becomes very much easier for a team to play defensse. If all a team does is run, and they cannot pass almost at all, as was the case for us in that championship game, then the defense can play to stop the run, as Seattle did, and you will get the results we did. If every one of Kap's running yards had been passing yards, we would have had the same number of yards -from him. But it likely would have caused them to back guys out of the box, opening up the running game, thus resulting in more success for our backs, and more total yards from the team as a whole. I'm not arguing against a "dual threat" QB. But he must be "dual". 14 out of 24 for 150 yards and 2 ints plus a lost fumble while scrambling is not much of a threat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does having stated Kaepernick being the only reason we were in the game have to do with excusing his late turnovers? When did that happen? NO one said Kaepernick WASN'T terrible in the 4th quarter. It is just that BEFORE that, he was the main reason we were in the game.

Again, you cherry pick your arguments to make your case look better. NO one said his production offset his turnovers. But just stop acting like protecting the ball is the end all be all. When you have three turnovers are you going to likely win? NO, and you said you discovered teams have a better chance of winning by not turning it over and having less than 200 yards compared to throwing for more yards but having more turnovers? Um, have you ever thought why that would be true? Because if you are winning and don't have to throw it much, you will have less than 200 passing yards. Against the Jaguars Kaepernick had 149 yards in the first half and ended up with 164. Why? Because we threw the ball one time in the 2nd half.

And to your last point, I don't even know where to begin. His scramble of 58 yards would not be the same as an 58 yard pass? Why not? Seattle wasn't going to change their game plan either way. They will always trust their CBs against our WRs and that will never change. Does any of our WRs have a physical mismatch against Sherman or Maxwell? Nope, but could our WRs still make plays? Absolutely, but you are COMPLETELY underselling what Kaepernick did with his legs. You are just writing it off saying well it was alright that he did that, but would have been much better if he made those plays with his arm. That is not even considering the fact we used more DESIGNED run plays than we usually do and that was a big part of the game plan. I'm not talking about the scrambles, but he had plenty of yards the other way as well. And yes, 14-24 for 150 yards was not good enough. But his overall game including what he did with his legs made him effective.

So since I'm sure you watched the NO/SEA game along with the DEN/SEA one, from all three QBs which one in your opinion did more damage against that GREAT defense?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Let him play out and bet on himself Reply with quote

I don't think we should panic and give kaepernick the $20+ mill he is seeking. Let's let him play out his contract and see if he delivers in the clutch this upcoming season. We have been on the cusp of winning #6 ever since Harbaugh got here. If not for the kyle william's fumbles and the Sherman tip we probably play in 3 straight SBs. Our Defense is what gets us there year in and out. Alex Smith got us as far as Kaepernick did (nfcc, within a play of SB). our offense is a run-oriented ball control offense and will stay the same as long as Jim is our coach. If we pay Kaep his $20+mill then we will have the same situation the Ravens are in. Forced to renounce other positions that aren't as glamorous yet extremely important to the team.

So let him play out his contract and hopefully he learns from his mistakes brings #6 home and franchise tag him next year. If we are to come close to getting #6 next year our defense has to stay strong.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 42 of 86

Jump to: