Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
I agree with that 100%

But he didn't take less. He structured it in order to create room easily, yes. But he didn't take less so that we could resign crabs

I don't think money matters as much as cap flexibility. Yes, he will make good money, but in two years from now, his 18m will start looking really good with the higher salary cap and the contracts to the other young QBs out there. He didn't take less than current QB, but he's perhaps taking less than future QBs, and in the sense, yes, he "took less money" in order to re-sign other players. Add to that the flexibility his deal offers, something other QBs might not replicate, and we might just be able to build a stronger roster than those other teams because of it.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
WorldChampsHawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
WorldChampsHawk wrote:
sherm wrote:
More details from PFT... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

Quote:

And there’s plenty of fluff.

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

Ive read the article, but i still dont get it. im kind of sick so i cant think straight rght now. can someone explain this to me?

Basically, the only amount of money that is guaranteed to Kaepernick is $13.073 mil. That's what he gets for sure (and about 5-6mil of that is for this season). If he plays terribly this year, and the team thinks he's not going to be worth the contract he just signed, they release him and owe him the remainder of that guarantee, which then counts against the cap.

So if he's cut after this year - we take up to an 8 million cap hit (I saw someone mention as low as 5 and as high as 8, so I'll be conservative and assume the worst case scenario), and then he's off the books in 2016.

The exception - if Kaepernick is injured before April 1st, we guarantee his salary for that upcoming season, and cutting him would create a much larger cap hit. If he stays on the roster past April 1st, 2015 - his salary also becomes guaranteed for 2015.

And then it keeps going through 2017 like that. In 2018, a portion of his salary is guaranteed that way. After 2018, the team can cut him before 2019 or 2020, and owe very little if anything.

The structure of this contract is crazy...and in the best of ways.

thank you
silus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the 49ers brass. It seems like there is this mentality of "everything is failure unless it's a championship". And they are pressing this upon the people that made the team competitive to begin with. Maybe i'm missing something, but it's like the 49ers players/coaches are being punished for getting extremely far the past 3 seasons yet not winning the superbowl.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
I don't understand the 49ers brass. It seems like there is this mentality of "everything is failure unless it's a championship". And they are pressing this upon the people that made the team competitive to begin with. Maybe i'm missing something, but it's like the 49ers players/coaches are being punished for getting extremely far the past 3 seasons yet not winning the superbowl.

Who's getting punished? Kap, by being paid millions of dollars to play football? If that's punishment, I've been a really baaaaad boy!

big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:

What??? This is a fair contract for both sides. If plays lights out and we win some SBs, he gets $126 million. If he sucks it up and doesn't contribute our winning, he gets very little. If plays like a good but not great QB, he gets good but not great QB money.

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:

Honestly at this point that is the right mentality to have. we have come too close to winning it all to accept anything less than #6. champions never settle for 2nd place, and make no mistake about it we have finished 2nd every year harbaugh has been here. as a result 2nd place is no longer good enough.

I think a lot of people feel that way as well. anything than a superbowl this year would be disheartening - as it has been for my entire life as a 90s child

no one is getting punished. I think calling it a de escalator instead of an incentive makes you feel as though not making it to the superbowl would induce some sort of punishment. I think it looks better for the agent if the contract is structured in such a way and I seriously doubt that kaep looks at it as though he wont get 2 million if he makes it to the superbowl but rather that he will get 2 million if he does. I think that is an important distinction to make as one implies a certain degree of negativity

also I dont think the FO giving such a contact to kaep is pushing any sort of mentality upon the "guys who made us competitive in the first place". this team went to the NFCCG without him. maybe if they gave guys like justin or willis some sort of deal like that you would have a point.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Taylor Price @TaylorPrice49
Follow
QB guru George Whitfield is a #49ers coaching intern, started Monday. He trained Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel for combine.

very good new imo. worked with big ben and luck too

he helped to make manziel more of a "qb" this past season.
there plenty of videos ive seen. hes very unorthodox and changes things up depending on who hes working with.

his history is pretty interesting too

nice move for kap

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess jim knows him from sd.
and its an internship for the bill walsh miniority college fellowship. hes only here through training camp.
wish it was longer, this guy has had major success.

him plus harbs. with the gifted and malleable kap who has spots to work on... magic

hopefully Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
and its an internship for the bill walsh miniority college fellowship. hes only here through training camp.

him plus harbs. with the gifted and malleable kap who has spots to work on... magic

hopefully Laughing

When do we start screaming for him as out next OC?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

hopefully Laughing

How about next QB coach? I was really disappointed in the progress, or lack thereof, of Kap last season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

hopefully Laughing

How about next QB coach? I was really disappointed in the progress, or lack thereof, of Kap last season.

NOW!!! Lol, kidding, but it would be nice to see Greg Roman unemployed.

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he likes working with new guys a lot. so if he could do that with this. please

he seems to love it. post pics every day about how he loves seeing the doors, the catch pic, etc
(but wondering if somebody should warn him that jim doesnt like the social media stuff Laughing )

new sig... sorry alex
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
i think he likes working with new guys a lot. so if he could do that with this. please

he seems to love it. post pics every day about how he loves seeing the doors, the catch pic, etc
(but wondering if somebody should warn him that jim doesnt like the social media stuff Laughing )

Jim likes doors, though, so that counterbalances.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No charges to be filed in the Miami incident.

Not a surprise, but glad this is over now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
No charges to be filed in the Miami incident.

Not a surprise, but glad this is over now.

What about Culliver's case? I haven't heard squat since it happened but he's posting on Instagram regularly. Lol

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 85 of 86

Jump to: