Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Colin Kaepernick Thread/Agrees to 6 yr 110 mil extension Reply with quote

I mean why not? He is the most talked about player on a weekly basis and we could track down his progress here.

Here are his final stats:

243-416 58.4% 3197 yards 7.68 YPA, 21 TDs 8 INTs, 91.6 QB rating

92 carries 524 yards 5.7 YPC, 4 TDs

Total stats: 3721 yards, 25 TDs, 8 INTs

All in all, a roller coaster season but he finished the season well. Last six games he had 1584 total yards, 11 TDs, 1 INT, and had a QB rating of 106.5.

For being his first actual season as the starter, it wasn't as bad as some believe. He has a lot of to improve on but we are seeing some flashes. Hopefully the best is yet to come for THIS season!

Last edited by J-ALL-DAY on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparison, Russell Wilson finished the season with 3896 yards, 26 TDs to 9 INTs, and 63.1 completion percentage along with a 101.1 QB rating.

Obviously one guy played better, but Kaepernick wasn't that behind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More downs than ups this year, and I hate that I am really not seeing a lot of progression in the things that he struggles with. Perhaps most disappointing though, outside of the rushing stats...are we seeing much of a difference between him and Smith? I was just hoping for something more out of the quarterback position when we jettisoned Smith in favor of Kaepernick. Perhaps I should simply temper my expectations.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are getting more plays down the field but the difference will possibly be seen in the playoffs. Kaepernick is the perfect type of QB to excel in cold weather situations.

The expectations may have been too much, but we have to remember this is his first actual season as the starter. The opposing defensive coordinators were ready for him in the early going, but things started to change once Crabtree returned. The mental aspect of the game is going to be so important for him during the offseason. If he could make strides, then we will be set for the next 10 years. Still, he ended the season on a high note but had similar struggles to most sophomores (I know 3rd season).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Colin Kaepernick Thread Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I mean why not? He is the most talked about player on a weekly basis and we could track down his progress here.

Here are his final stats:

243-416 58.4% 3197 yards 7.68 YPA, 21 TDs 8 INTs, 91.6 QB rating

92 carries 524 yards 5.7 YPC, 4 TDs

Total stats: 3721 yards, 25 TDs, 8 INTs

All in all, a roller coaster season but he finished the season well. Last six games he had 1584 total yards, 11 TDs, 1 INT, and had a QB rating of 106.5.

For being his first actual season as the starter, it wasn't as bad as some believe. He has a lot of to improve on but we are seeing some flashes. Hopefully the best is yet to come for THIS season!

He's showing all that potential I thougth he had when I was really hoping we'd draft him. I'm disappointed in his pocket presence, his reading of defenses, and his full-field vision. Right now those are the things that are keeping him from being a great QB. It takes time for guys to get all that. Some are quicker than others. Unfortunately some never do develop those skills.

With Kap it will take easily another season to see. What seems clear is that he hasn't developed much this year - either over last year, or even from the beginning of the year to now. We need to get rid of Chryst and get him someone who can help him realize that potential of his. We also need to get a WR coach who can develop our WRs better, and work together with the QB coach to develop a more effective passing game that doesn't rely just on Kap's strong arm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Well, we are getting more plays down the field but the difference will possibly be seen in the playoffs. Kaepernick is the perfect type of QB to excel in cold weather situations.

The expectations may have been too much, but we have to remember this is his first actual season as the starter. The opposing defensive coordinators were ready for him in the early going, but things started to change once Crabtree returned. The mental aspect of the game is going to be so important for him during the offseason. If he could make strides, then we will be set for the next 10 years. Still, he ended the season on a high note but had similar struggles to most sophomores (I know 3rd season).

I think we see more intermediate completions than we did with Smith, but Kaepernick still struggles with his actual "deep ball" (though the one he threw to VD last week I believe was absolutely gorgeous). The trade off to that though is that he rarely checks down.

The mental aspect I have a really hard time swallowing, second season, third season, whatever...this should not be a recurring issue with no growth; I can deal with the spotty accuracy every now and again, but the mental problems are a big red flag. He has looked considerably better since Crabs has been back, but if he's going to start trusting Patton as well, then he needs to work on progressing through his reads as he's developed slightly happy feet back there. He's still one reading and pulling down far too often. He also needs to get way more consistent in the red zone; I think a portion of that is the playcalling, but he looked ugly and great in equal measure inside the 20. He has all the potential in the world, but I wouldn't be the biggest fan of giving him an extension just yet.

Also, I do have to wonder sometimes if our scheme/playcalling is holding him back from his talent.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought. These are his stats after Crabtree's return..

87-141 61.7% 1160 yards 8.27 YPA, 7 TDs 1 INTs, 101.3 QB rating

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, does our scheme truly help him out? I mean running all these one WR sets, what does it accomplish? He has only two reads on certain plays and usually takes off if the first one is not open. Heck, at times the second read is a freaking OLineman Laughing .

His deep ball was actually once again among the elite in the game. I feel his deep ball is fine, but his intermediate ball could improve on.

I did like that he went to Patton about four times today and gave him a chance to make a play late even after dropping a pass on the prior possession. How would Kaepernick do if we spread it out more with the three WR sets though? It would open things up and give him more space to operate. As I stated a few weeks ago, our team unlike the norm gets creative with the run game, not the pass game.

Today was the first time where we used quick hitters to the WRs and it worked to a tee. I still wish Kaepernick would have gone to Crabtree on that one play instead of taking a shot deep to Boldin. Still, I think we could agree he is a very good passer on the run. His stats did improve big time as the season went along and that is a good thing. Thinking about it, he had a very similar season to what Newton had last year.

Now, as for not wanting to give him a contract this year? You take the risk of him completely blowing up next year and having to give him a Flacco type of deal. But if he wins a Super Bowl this year, we are screwed one way or another with the type of contract he will demand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Food for thought. These are his stats after Crabtree's return..

87-141 61.7% 1160 yards 8.27 YPA, 7 TDs 1 INTs, 101.3 QB rating

Yep, you add the WAS game where the win streak started and it is 10 TDs to 1 INT.

I'll take that any day of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
That's the thing, does our scheme truly help him out? I mean running all these one WR sets, what does it accomplish? He has only two reads on certain plays and usually takes off if the first one is not open. Heck, at times the second read is a freaking OLineman Laughing .

His deep ball was actually once again among the elite in the game. I feel his deep ball is fine, but his intermediate ball could improve on.

I did like that he went to Patton about four times today and gave him a chance to make a play late even after dropping a pass on the prior possession. How would Kaepernick do if we spread it out more with the three WR sets though? It would open things up and give him more space to operate. As I stated a few weeks ago, our team unlike the norm gets creative with the run game, not the pass game.

Today was the first time where we used quick hitters to the WRs and it worked to a tee. I still wish Kaepernick would have gone to Crabtree on that one play instead of taking a shot deep to Boldin. Still, I think we could agree he is a very good passer on the run. His stats did improve big time as the season went along and that is a good thing. Thinking about it, he had a very similar season to what Newton had last year.

Now, as for not wanting to give him a contract this year? You take the risk of him completely blowing up next year and having to give him a Flacco type of deal. But if he wins a Super Bowl this year, we are screwed one way or another with the type of contract he will demand.

That's the one big flaw in his game. Sometimes he locks on way too long. James and Dixon did a good job jumping up and down to get his attention, but good QB should know where his guys are. Hopefully it's something that doesn't remain a huge issue, and can be coached up in the off-season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and I think it caught AZ off guard he even went to them because they had NO one covering the flats Laughing .

If Kaepernick hits Crabtree on that one play, he could have picked up easy 30 yards. Those are the ones he can't miss. Like you said, he locks on to one guy way too much. Only time it works is when he allows the WR to get open deep.

Loved what I saw from Patton though. Showed some nice shiftyness and was an aggressive blocker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Taylor Price ‏@TaylorPrice49 1h
#49ers @Kaepernick7 posted 111.2 QB rating vs. AZ. Kaepernick posted 108.6 rating or better in 5 of last 6 regular season games. #factsonly

Quote:
Vincent Frank ‏@VincentFrankNFL 2h
Kaepernick since Week 3: 60 percent completion, 2,903 total yards, 22 touchdowns, four interceptions, 101.2 rating (11-2 record).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge you also have to understand that, Kap had a better season this season (his 1st complete) than Alex ever had here in 7 seasons. Kap was not perfect, and far from it at times. But i remember the many seasons where we didnt have a 300 yd passing game, a 3000 yd passing season or a 20 td season. Kaps td/int ratio is still 2.5/1 which is top third of the league.

Im not happy with eveything kap does. I hate that after his first read, his next read is a roll out to right or left instead of up in the pocket. These too often lead to HUGE sacks. I dont like that he locks onto Boldin soo often. Today he had crabs underneathe and still threw an incompletion to boldin who was doubled.

I also dont think we have great creativity in our passing game but that has gotten a bit better since crabs returned.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scott Kegley ‏@ScottKegley 2h
The #49ers are now 15-0 when @Kaepernick7 starts and has a 90+ QB rating. Crazy...

Wow, that says it all. Having over 90 isn't even THAT great, but as long as Kaep performs just well it is enough to win.

I do agree we don't have much creativity and that holds back the pass offense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN 37s
With all eyes on Rodgers, Kaepernick heads into playoffs with NFL-best 82.2 Total QBR and 4th-ranked 109.7 passer rating over last 3 games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 1 of 86

Jump to: