Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General NFL Draft Talk- Giants 1st pick at 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we're going WR or CB at 12. Boom. I said it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:

The only WR I want at 12 will be gone by 6.
I don't want Mike Evans. I think Coleman is a better prospect he just needs to work on his hands. I'd rather take a TE than any of the WRs.
Kelvin Benjamin is a good prospect but not at 12.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we should keep in mind is that perhaps a 6'5" receiver doesn't fit the mold of the new offensive system. This isn't the Gilbride chuck it down field system where you need a big body to win jump ball situations. I don't think we're looking for the next Plaxico Burress.

While Green Bay still throws it down field, they also rely on a lot of quick slants, and intermediate routes. You need quickness to get open, and then some ability to get YAC. Sammy Watkins would be ideal, obviously. But a guy like Odell Beckham in the second round would be nice as well. I'll certainly be interested in seeing who sets themselves apart in terms of speed and quickness at the combine.

In other news, there are reports that Tennessee won't be franchising Alteraun Verner. If we can sign him, that would solidify our secondary and allow us to focus on other areas early in the draft.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
One thing we should keep in mind is that perhaps a 6'5" receiver doesn't fit the mold of the new offensive system. This isn't the Gilbride chuck it down field system where you need a big body to win jump ball situations. I don't think we're looking for the next Plaxico Burress.

While Green Bay still throws it down field, they also rely on a lot of quick slants, and intermediate routes. You need quickness to get open, and then some ability to get YAC. Sammy Watkins would be ideal, obviously. But a guy like Odell Beckham in the second round would be nice as well. I'll certainly be interested in seeing who sets themselves apart in terms of speed and quickness at the combine.

In other news, there are reports that Tennessee won't be franchising Alteraun Verner. If we can sign him, that would solidify our secondary and allow us to focus on other areas early in the draft.

I agree, but Coleman has mastered the slant route. He is quick, but he also has a huge catch radius. IMO, he will stretch the field and let Cruz and a TE work underneath. It would be silly to pass on someone like him because he doesn't fit the scheme. Plus I think Coleman will fall bc of his inconsistent hands which is the only real knock I have on him (and thats a big one for a WR).

Verner will be expensive and he's a little smaller than I'd like but I like his playing style. Him + Prince would be a nice duo back there. If Hosley ever gets healthy, he and TT (Who I'm 99% sure the Giants will resign... We've been loyal to him so far and he's a feel good story) can compete for the slot.
I don't think Thomas will ever regain the step or two he lost from his injuries so I don't think his future is outside. But, if Hill screws up again - he could be a good safety.

Am I allowed to post links to scouting reports from other websites? I found some pretty interesting scouting reports especially at the RB position.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

I don't want Mike Evans. I think Coleman is a better prospect he just needs to work on his hands. I'd rather take a TE than any of the WRs.

You know what... sometimes, it's not always about you kodaraw! Smile

If I said that to my girlfriend, id be single lol

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

You know what... sometimes, it's not always about you kodaraw! Smile

If I said that to my girlfriend, id be single lol

I guess that's why I am single Crying or Very sad

I just don't like Mike Evans. I think he is a [inappropriate/removed] bag. I live about 2 hours from TAMU and him and Johnny Football are [inappropriate/removed]. Everyone in College Station thinks the same thing, but of course when you win games no one really cares how [inappropriate/removed] you are.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

Why? You want to depend on Kiwi and Moore? Thats all we have under contract besides JPP. Thats 3 DE under contract. 1 has a major injury thats hampered him for two years. One is HORRIBLE against the run (bottom 5 DE against the run) and one has limited situational experience... We've been in the bottom of the league in sacks for years now. DE is a huge area of concern. Look at carolina. Mediocre secondary, strong front 7. Overall, they had a strong defense. Thats been us. Strong front 4 to mask the deficiencies.

Aaron Lynch is a sleeper IMO. We need to go D on this draft. The talent is too much to pass up. We will regret it in 2-3 years when we overcorrected to fix the offense and let the defense slip. Fix the defense, sign a FA or two OL (mack has said he will test FA, btw) and draft a WR or TE. DE, CB, LB, DT should all be addressed IMO.

And lets be real - we have a limited number of draft picks and salary cap space, with a lot of needs.
Yankey will be gone by our second round pick IMO.

We have a franchise QB. We have a #1 WR.
Would you rather dedicate all of your resources to the offense and neglect the defense?
Or a strong defense and let your franchise QB do his magic?

IMO we can get by with one to two offense picks... a RB and OL. POSSIBLY TE/WR depending if someone of value really falls (I like brandon coleman)
The rest should go to defense.

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft another defensive end, but I made my statement with the assumption that Tuck is resigned. We've invested a lot of top picks on the defensive front already. I'm not ready to say that those top picks have busted so bad that its time to invest another top pick on another one.

I'm completely aware what the team is capable of doing with a strong defensive front and average linebackers with a mix of talent in the secondary.

I've got no problem if the Giants drafted defense with every single pick, I just don't think that its needed. You know as well as I do that the Giants typically draft best player available and I've never had an issue with that.

If best player available is defensive end, then so be it. I just hope that its linebacker or corner. I'd feel more comfortable going defensive at those positions than defensive end.

I don't see receiver as big of a need as you do and I might be on the other side of the fence with that one but tight end and running back are much higher on that board than receiver.

My ideal draft would be to trade down from 12 and spend our first pick an a offensive interior lineman, but if a trade can't happen then use the first pick on linebacker/ corner and second on a center, after that I'm basically fine with what ever position.

You mentioned over correcting on offense and paying for it a couple years down the road. I kinda think thats what our offense is dealing with right now. Too many top picks spent of defense and not enough on offense.

Something like 7 third round or higher draft picks spent on the defense since 2010.

ROUND 1 Pick 19: Prince Amukamara
ROUND 2 Pick 46: Linval Joseph
ROUND 2 Pick 49: Johnathan Hankins
ROUND 2 Pick 52: Marvin Austin
ROUND 3 Pick 81: Damontre Moore
ROUND 3 Pick 94: Jayron Hosley
ROUND 1 Pick 15: Jason Pierre-Paul

on offense

ROUND 1 Pick 19: Justin Pugh
ROUND 1 Pick 32: David Wilson
ROUND 2 Pick 63: Rueben Randle
ROUND 3 Pick 83: Jerrel Jernigan

Now in the overall draft, its basically neck 'n' neck in terms of equal number of picks for offense and defense.

I think you're saying the same thing as I am we just looking at it differently.

I fine drafting defense with a mix of offensive players.

I don't think receiver is a glaring need, but I also don't have a lot of confidence in Randle to step up. I like Coleman and he was vying for #1 WR this year but dropped tremendously because of inconsistent hands. He has a good route tree, he's big, physical, ginormous catch radius, and his speed isn't bad. He will be a nice replacement to Nicks.

I agree that our first round shouldn't be a DE because I don't think Clowney will fall, and I'm not sure about Ealy yet. He's supposedly going to rise like JPP, Chandler Jones, and Ziggy Ansah when it comes to combine. He's a physical freak with long arms, but he's raw, just like the rest. Personally, I'd like Khalil Mack or Gilbert/Dennard or Haha Clinton Dix. HCD will probably catch most people off guard but he's a solid pick for the future. Rolle is aging, Hill is unreliable, and Stevie only has one good season and then tore his ACL.
I wouldn't mind a G/C in the second though. Richburg or Swanson would be find by me.
Then DE/DT/LB/CB in the third and fourth. I like Kareem Martin, Dominque Easley (3tech DT... Nothing like pressure up the middle), and Aaron Lynch (Will need a season or so to really come on but once he gains muscle he will be a force.. Him + JPP + Moore would be nasty... NASCAR package all over again).
Jeremy Hill would be my RB pick. Charles Sims and Carlos Hyde are also in the running, but I think Hill could be had a round or two later because character flags will make him drop, but he is a physical, hard runner and I think we need that. I like Pierre Desir, SJB, Watkins from Florida at CB.

Also - Don't forget Hakeem Nicks was a first rounder
Mario Manningham was a third
Steve Smith was a second or third.
The entire 2009 draft was offense except Sintim
A lot has been spent on offense as well.

First and second round picks you mentioned are right up my ally. Have high grades on them all.

Also like the backs you mentioned, favorite being Hyde.

My point with listing the picks the last couple of years was to show that we've been putting more attention on the defense the last couple seasons, but yes you go a little further back we did have some offensive picks up.

I'd have to do some looking but off the top I think Reese and co. typically load up in areas that need improvement and try to utilize the draft for best player available with the exception of a few recent picks.

But honestly, I think we're basically on the same page in terms of where we need to invest our picks and money.
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Odell will be available in the 2nd. He'll certainly be gone by the time we pick.

I think we go CJ Mosely or we go OL.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
I doubt Odell will be available in the 2nd. He'll certainly be gone by the time we pick.

I think we go CJ Mosely or we go OL.

Mosley has had 3 or 4 surgeries.. So thats rough to invest a first round pick in someone with so much wear.
What about Yawin Smallwood or Carl Bradford? Or even Christian Jones? They could all be had later. I think Smallwood is just as good as Mosley. I haven't looked at a lot of WR in the early rounds, TBH. So I can't comment on O'Dell.

ny92jefferis wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

Why? You want to depend on Kiwi and Moore? Thats all we have under contract besides JPP. Thats 3 DE under contract. 1 has a major injury thats hampered him for two years. One is HORRIBLE against the run (bottom 5 DE against the run) and one has limited situational experience... We've been in the bottom of the league in sacks for years now. DE is a huge area of concern. Look at carolina. Mediocre secondary, strong front 7. Overall, they had a strong defense. Thats been us. Strong front 4 to mask the deficiencies.

Aaron Lynch is a sleeper IMO. We need to go D on this draft. The talent is too much to pass up. We will regret it in 2-3 years when we overcorrected to fix the offense and let the defense slip. Fix the defense, sign a FA or two OL (mack has said he will test FA, btw) and draft a WR or TE. DE, CB, LB, DT should all be addressed IMO.

And lets be real - we have a limited number of draft picks and salary cap space, with a lot of needs.
Yankey will be gone by our second round pick IMO.

We have a franchise QB. We have a #1 WR.
Would you rather dedicate all of your resources to the offense and neglect the defense?
Or a strong defense and let your franchise QB do his magic?

IMO we can get by with one to two offense picks... a RB and OL. POSSIBLY TE/WR depending if someone of value really falls (I like brandon coleman)
The rest should go to defense.

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft another defensive end, but I made my statement with the assumption that Tuck is resigned. We've invested a lot of top picks on the defensive front already. I'm not ready to say that those top picks have busted so bad that its time to invest another top pick on another one.

I'm completely aware what the team is capable of doing with a strong defensive front and average linebackers with a mix of talent in the secondary.

I've got no problem if the Giants drafted defense with every single pick, I just don't think that its needed. You know as well as I do that the Giants typically draft best player available and I've never had an issue with that.

If best player available is defensive end, then so be it. I just hope that its linebacker or corner. I'd feel more comfortable going defensive at those positions than defensive end.

I don't see receiver as big of a need as you do and I might be on the other side of the fence with that one but tight end and running back are much higher on that board than receiver.

My ideal draft would be to trade down from 12 and spend our first pick an a offensive interior lineman, but if a trade can't happen then use the first pick on linebacker/ corner and second on a center, after that I'm basically fine with what ever position.

You mentioned over correcting on offense and paying for it a couple years down the road. I kinda think thats what our offense is dealing with right now. Too many top picks spent of defense and not enough on offense.

Something like 7 third round or higher draft picks spent on the defense since 2010.

ROUND 1 Pick 19: Prince Amukamara
ROUND 2 Pick 46: Linval Joseph
ROUND 2 Pick 49: Johnathan Hankins
ROUND 2 Pick 52: Marvin Austin
ROUND 3 Pick 81: Damontre Moore
ROUND 3 Pick 94: Jayron Hosley
ROUND 1 Pick 15: Jason Pierre-Paul

on offense

ROUND 1 Pick 19: Justin Pugh
ROUND 1 Pick 32: David Wilson
ROUND 2 Pick 63: Rueben Randle
ROUND 3 Pick 83: Jerrel Jernigan

Now in the overall draft, its basically neck 'n' neck in terms of equal number of picks for offense and defense.

I think you're saying the same thing as I am we just looking at it differently.

I fine drafting defense with a mix of offensive players.

I don't think receiver is a glaring need, but I also don't have a lot of confidence in Randle to step up. I like Coleman and he was vying for #1 WR this year but dropped tremendously because of inconsistent hands. He has a good route tree, he's big, physical, ginormous catch radius, and his speed isn't bad. He will be a nice replacement to Nicks.

I agree that our first round shouldn't be a DE because I don't think Clowney will fall, and I'm not sure about Ealy yet. He's supposedly going to rise like JPP, Chandler Jones, and Ziggy Ansah when it comes to combine. He's a physical freak with long arms, but he's raw, just like the rest. Personally, I'd like Khalil Mack or Gilbert/Dennard or Haha Clinton Dix. HCD will probably catch most people off guard but he's a solid pick for the future. Rolle is aging, Hill is unreliable, and Stevie only has one good season and then tore his ACL.
I wouldn't mind a G/C in the second though. Richburg or Swanson would be find by me.
Then DE/DT/LB/CB in the third and fourth. I like Kareem Martin, Dominque Easley (3tech DT... Nothing like pressure up the middle), and Aaron Lynch (Will need a season or so to really come on but once he gains muscle he will be a force.. Him + JPP + Moore would be nasty... NASCAR package all over again).
Jeremy Hill would be my RB pick. Charles Sims and Carlos Hyde are also in the running, but I think Hill could be had a round or two later because character flags will make him drop, but he is a physical, hard runner and I think we need that. I like Pierre Desir, SJB, Watkins from Florida at CB.

Also - Don't forget Hakeem Nicks was a first rounder
Mario Manningham was a third
Steve Smith was a second or third.
The entire 2009 draft was offense except Sintim
A lot has been spent on offense as well.

First and second round picks you mentioned are right up my ally. Have high grades on them all.

Also like the backs you mentioned, favorite being Hyde.

My point with listing the picks the last couple of years was to show that we've been putting more attention on the defense the last couple seasons, but yes you go a little further back we did have some offensive picks up.

I'd have to do some looking but off the top I think Reese and co. typically load up in areas that need improvement and try to utilize the draft for best player available with the exception of a few recent picks.

But honestly, I think we're basically on the same page in terms of where we need to invest our picks and money.

Carlos Hyde is probably one of my favorite as well. He can carry this offense, but I think Hyde will be drafted earlier than we would like to spend a pick on. I have seen more and more mocks with us taking Matthews. TBH, if Matthews falls to us I am all for pulling the trigger. I don't know what we would do with Beatty and Pugh... Idk if Beatty can play G, but Pugh probably could.. But Pugh rocked RT last year while Beatty was horrible. Otherwise, I'd prefer interior line in the second or third.
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike mayock, the only draft guy I praise, called the Pugh pick out of now where last year( had to have info inside for that) says we need to go WR or OL as of now.

I think IMHO the pick is gonna be kelvin Benjamin
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsEST96 wrote:
Mike mayock, the only draft guy I praise, called the Pugh pick out of now where last year( had to have info inside for that) says we need to go WR or OL as of now.

No chance. Hes not worth being picked at 12. We could pick him in 2nd round.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:

I agree. Unless Benjamin has a great combine and pro day I can't justify any WR except Watkins at 12
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:

I agree. Unless Benjamin has a great combine and pro day I can't justify any WR except Watkins at 12

But guess what, that combine is this weekrnd, I'm sure he'rues to the occasion
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsEST96 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:

So...running fast in the combine or putting up a lot of reps is going to make the Giants want him more? I don't recall that having much impact in the past...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:

So...running fast in the combine or putting up a lot of reps is going to make the Giants want him more? I don't recall that having much impact in the past...

The main thing the Giants look at is how many backflips can they do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 20 of 67

Jump to: