Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions 2014 Salary Cap Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 26070
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Update: 2014 cap projected to be $130m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10487942/nfl-projected-raise-salary-cap-130-million


If we re-structure Suh, and make another cut or 2, we could go after Decker.


He's rumored to be approaching $10m / yr. I think we could find a lot of better ways to spend that.
lol Decker is going to get soooooo overpaid
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3355
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Update: 2014 cap projected to be $130m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10487942/nfl-projected-raise-salary-cap-130-million


If we re-structure Suh, and make another cut or 2, we could go after Decker.


He's rumored to be approaching $10m / yr. I think we could find a lot of better ways to spend that.
lol Decker is going to get soooooo overpaid


Agreed. I think he's truly worth about $4-5m/year, would pay about $6m because we need a complement to Calvin so badly, but $10m is just out of the question.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25888
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Update: 2014 cap projected to be $130m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10487942/nfl-projected-raise-salary-cap-130-million


If we re-structure Suh, and make another cut or 2, we could go after Decker.


He's rumored to be approaching $10m / yr. I think we could find a lot of better ways to spend that.
lol Decker is going to get soooooo overpaid


Agreed. I think he's truly worth about $4-5m/year, would pay about $6m because we need a complement to Calvin so badly, but $10m is just out of the question.


The Lions need to improve at a number of positions so I agree with you.

They need to find a compliment to CJ but not at the expense of not improving elsewhere. Spending 10 million per year on a number two would be a huge mistake.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4723
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know.

Thats our biggest need and I would hate to sit through a 3rd straight year of poor receiver play.

However we do it, that needs to be our #1 priority.

We have some needs elsewhere, but nothing nearly as glaring as that one.
_________________
Team Stylish



2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25888
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
I dont know.

Thats our biggest need and I would hate to sit through a 3rd straight year of poor receiver play.

However we do it, that needs to be our #1 priority.

We have some needs elsewhere, but nothing nearly as glaring as that one.


Nothing as glaring but there are other significant needs. One of the problems already hampering the team is $$$$ invested in three players.

This team will only be as good as their weakest link and while they need a complimentary receiver if they spend all the money there then the secondary won't be addressed.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4723
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
I dont know.

Thats our biggest need and I would hate to sit through a 3rd straight year of poor receiver play.

However we do it, that needs to be our #1 priority.

We have some needs elsewhere, but nothing nearly as glaring as that one.


Nothing as glaring but there are other significant needs. One of the problems already hampering the team is $$$$ invested in three players.

This team will only be as good as their weakest link and while they need a complimentary receiver if they spend all the money there then the secondary won't be addressed.


Well I surely agree we shouldnt spend all our money there.

We do need a starter at safety.

We probably need a starting CB.

Tough decisions to be made.

I honestly worry a bit about Staffords confidence with his receiving crew. Hes growing more and more impatient. I also worry about our reliance on CJ. Both in terms of Staffords development, and just on CJ's body. He takes a beating constantly.

We dont want to fail to address other areas and we dont want to panic and overpay someone, but it would be torture to sit through another season of Kris Durham or hoping that Broyles can stay on the field.

Our defense did make strides last season, but our offense as a whole regressed.
_________________
Team Stylish



2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
We dont want to fail to address other areas and we dont want to panic and overpay someone, but it would be torture to sit through another season of Kris Durham or hoping that Broyles can stay on the field.

Unfortunately "overpay" is a word of the past. I mean, Riley Cooper just got $25 million over 5 years. A guy who did next to nothing until last year and, for all intents and purposes, appears to be a middling #2 option. The deal isn't terrible cap-wise--his signing bonus is only $4 million so they can cut him and pay only $800K a year in dead money if he doesn't pan out--but that is a lot of money for someone with Cooper's résumé. Do we want to pay that kind of money for the rest of the guys on the market (Hakeem Nicks, Golden Tate, Julian Edelman, Emmanuel Sanders, Sidney Rice, James Jones)? This puts me even harder in the Mike Evans camp.

Then there's the Pitta deal. 5 years, $32 million. Half of that is guaranteed. What does this mean for Pettigrew? I was thinking something like 5 years and $25 million prior to Pitta's deal, but I don't know what this could mean for the Lions. Pettigrew's stock probably isn't as high, but this does kind of set the market.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25888
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
I dont know.

Thats our biggest need and I would hate to sit through a 3rd straight year of poor receiver play.

However we do it, that needs to be our #1 priority.

We have some needs elsewhere, but nothing nearly as glaring as that one.


Nothing as glaring but there are other significant needs. One of the problems already hampering the team is $$$$ invested in three players.

This team will only be as good as their weakest link and while they need a complimentary receiver if they spend all the money there then the secondary won't be addressed.


Well I surely agree we shouldnt spend all our money there.

We do need a starter at safety.

We probably need a starting CB.

Tough decisions to be made.

I honestly worry a bit about Staffords confidence with his receiving crew. Hes growing more and more impatient. I also worry about our reliance on CJ. Both in terms of Staffords development, and just on CJ's body. He takes a beating constantly.

We dont want to fail to address other areas and we dont want to panic and overpay someone, but it would be torture to sit through another season of Kris Durham or hoping that Broyles can stay on the field.

Our defense did make strides last season, but our offense as a whole regressed.


I can't disagree with anything you've said in this post. Balance and improve multiple areas.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3355
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with Leroy Harris cut and Isa Abdul-Quddus, Don Muhlbach signings.

Currently sitting at about $124.6m after the Delmas per-game money from this year, leaving us with about $8.4m in space to the projected cap of $133m with 51 guys on the roster. Keep in mind, during the offseason, only the top 51 salaries really "matter" - that being said, we can swap in/out $500k/yr guys without any real effect.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 26070
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
We dont want to fail to address other areas and we dont want to panic and overpay someone, but it would be torture to sit through another season of Kris Durham or hoping that Broyles can stay on the field.

Unfortunately "overpay" is a word of the past. I mean, Riley Cooper just got $25 million over 5 years. A guy who did next to nothing until last year and, for all intents and purposes, appears to be a middling #2 option. The deal isn't terrible cap-wise--his signing bonus is only $4 million so they can cut him and pay only $800K a year in dead money if he doesn't pan out--but that is a lot of money for someone with Cooper's résumé. Do we want to pay that kind of money for the rest of the guys on the market (Hakeem Nicks, Golden Tate, Julian Edelman, Emmanuel Sanders, Sidney Rice, James Jones)? This puts me even harder in the Mike Evans camp.

Then there's the Pitta deal. 5 years, $32 million. Half of that is guaranteed. What does this mean for Pettigrew? I was thinking something like 5 years and $25 million prior to Pitta's deal, but I don't know what this could mean for the Lions. Pettigrew's stock probably isn't as high, but this does kind of set the market.
The Eagles sign some really safe contracts. The players get the fluffy numbers they want but they always manage to give out a small amount of guaranteed money. I mean, just look how quickly and cleanly they got out of that "dream team".
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3355
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI to all - my numbers check out with Birkett's from the free press minus the Delmas addition, which he does not have included yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25888
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Updated with Leroy Harris cut and Isa Abdul-Quddus, Don Muhlbach signings.

Currently sitting at about $124.6m after the Delmas per-game money from this year, leaving us with about $8.4m in space to the projected cap of $133m with 51 guys on the roster. Keep in mind, during the offseason, only the top 51 salaries really "matter" - that being said, we can swap in/out $500k/yr guys without any real effect.


It's better than a kick in the butt with a frozen mukluk but not by much.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8718
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread hasn't seen much action lately, but does anyone know if the Lions have enough cap room to offer Prater a competitive offer?
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 26070
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
This thread hasn't seen much action lately, but does anyone know if the Lions have enough cap room to offer Prater a competitive offer?
I started setting up all the financial stuff to make a mock draft, and we could have the room this year for him. Spotrac shows 1.3 million in cap space, which should be enough for a kicker, and that would be before we cut Henery to make room for Prater.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group