Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential Free Agent Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
If Flacco goes down for any length of time, I think the season would probably be a write off anyway. Even if Kubiak gets the run game firing on all cylinders, I can't see much production out of Tyrod Taylor if he's asked to throw the ball. I don't know much of anything about Wenning, but if he was considered capable of starting this year, or even taking first team snaps, he would probably have gone before the 6th round.

And if Wenning doesn't make the roster, I expect he'll develop a mysterious injury that puts him on IR.

Again, I strongly disagree with this type of thinking. At least if they have a guy that's competent as the backup quarterback. If Taylor is the guy then I agree the team wouldn't be going anywhere. Wenning probably wouldn't get the chance this season but if Baltimore can bring someone (decent) in to replace Taylor for a season then i wouldn't write off the season if Flacco had to miss a handful of games. Especially if Kubiak's scheme which seems to be less stressful on a quarterback.

In other news Brandon Flowers left San Diego without a contract. He wants to visit at least one more team before making a decision. I don't think the Ravens signing Franks and Ross has any impact on their pursuit of Flowers.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
If Flacco goes down for any length of time, I think the season would probably be a write off anyway. Even if Kubiak gets the run game firing on all cylinders, I can't see much production out of Tyrod Taylor if he's asked to throw the ball. I don't know much of anything about Wenning, but if he was considered capable of starting this year, or even taking first team snaps, he would probably have gone before the 6th round.

And if Wenning doesn't make the roster, I expect he'll develop a mysterious injury that puts him on IR.

Again, I strongly disagree with this type of thinking. At least if they have a guy that's competent as the backup quarterback. If Taylor is the guy then I agree the team wouldn't be going anywhere. Wenning probably wouldn't get the chance this season but if Baltimore can bring someone (decent) in to replace Taylor for a season then i wouldn't write off the season if Flacco had to miss a handful of games. Especially if Kubiak's scheme which seems to be less stressful on a quarterback.

In other news Brandon Flowers left San Diego without a contract. He wants to visit at least one more team before making a decision. I don't think the Ravens signing Franks and Ross has any impact on their pursuit of Flowers.

I was talking about the team as it is currently, with Taylor as Joe's backup. I agree that if they got a passable journeyman QB, then they could still be competitive if Joe missed some games.

I'd like to see how Wenning does in Training Camp and the pre-season, though. Because if he picks things up quickly, he could win that backup spot himself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/22/report-brandon-flowers-expected-to-choose-new-team-this-week/

Quote:
Ex-Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers looks likely to choose another team “sometime midweek,” according to Jason La Canfora of CBS, who notes that Flowers has “(plenty) of suitors.”

Pray

If Flowers chooses Baltimore the only thing I have a little doubt about the defense is maintaining a consistent pass-rush. But the coverage would definitely be improved from last season considering his addition as well as a fully healthy Webb, a more experienced Smith, and a more talented (Elam is an improvement over Ihedigbo at strong safety and Brooks is an improvement over Elam at free safety) and better constructed safety tandem. Of course Pees is still a concern but that's a given. As it is currently whenever the defense lines up in a nickel formation there's an obvious weak link on the field and one that can definitely be taken advantage of with any competent offensive scheming.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/22/report-brandon-flowers-expected-to-choose-new-team-this-week/

Quote:
Ex-Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers looks likely to choose another team “sometime midweek,” according to Jason La Canfora of CBS, who notes that Flowers has “(plenty) of suitors.”

Pray

If Flowers chooses Baltimore the only thing I have a little doubt about the defense is maintaining a consistent pass-rush. But the coverage would definitely be improved from last season considering his addition as well as a fully healthy Webb, a more experienced Smith, and a more talented (Elam is an improvement over Ihedigbo at strong safety and Brooks is an improvement over Elam at free safety) and better constructed safety tandem. Of course Pees is still a concern but that's a given. As it is currently whenever the defense lines up in a nickel formation there's an obvious weak link on the field and one that can definitely be taken advantage of with any competent offensive scheming.

If we can snag Flowers, I think on paper this would be our best defense since 2006.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:

Pray

If we can snag Flowers, I think on paper this would be our best defense since 2006.

I would agree. This would be the most talented defense I've seen since I've started watching the Ravens (2008), but of course we all know what's going to prevent our on-paper talent from reaching it's full potential...

Dean. Pees.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers signed Brandon Flowers.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
CB Brandon Flowers’ 1-year deal with the #Chargers is worth up to $5M, I’m told. Can prove himself in 2014, cash in again at 29

Well, damn. The Ravens couldn't have offered anything like that so it lessens the sting a bit. Just barely though.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Chargers signed Brandon Flowers.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Flowers was a long shot. Would've been great but I didn't see how it really made sense for him to play with Webb and Smith and possibly not even be an every down player.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great move for the Chargers. They needed the help on the back end
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just confused as to what anyone here sees for our #3/#4 CB spots going into the season if they don't believe Ross and/or Franks make the roster.

Going into the season with Chykie and Asa and/or UDFA CB's is bringing a knife to a gun fight.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would feel better about seeing what Brown or Jackson has as opposed to playing a veteran like Ross who we know is below average at best. Those two are at least mostly unknown so they might have upside. Franks is kind of an unknown too and like I said before he's my preference to make the team over Ross. But the team still needs to get a veteran in there who is proven to be capable. Unfortunately there isn't a free agent out there with that description. Maybe Houston if he recovers fast enough but after him... eh.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I would feel better about seeing what Brown or Jackson has as opposed to playing a veteran like Ross who we know is below average at best. Those two are at least mostly unknown so they might have upside. Franks is kind of an unknown too and like I said before he's my preference to make the team over Ross. But the team still needs to get a veteran in there who is proven to be capable. Unfortunately there isn't a free agent out there with that description. Maybe Houston if he recovers fast enough but after him... eh.

Brown is not an unknown and he's pretty much shown what he is, which is below average at best.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Brown is not an unknown and he's pretty much shown what he is, which is below average at best.

He wasn't that bad a couple of years ago filling in when Webb got hurt. nothing special and uneven but passable for a depth guy. Brown still isn't someone I want playing as the 3rd cornerback but I'm with him as the emergency 4th. There's not going to be a real upgrade at this point and unless a team really invests in that position a guy of his caliber is about standard for that rung of the depth chart.

Jackson is the one I'm more interested in seeing. He's one strike away from a long suspension but until that happens I want him to be a serious candidate/competitor for the 3rd cornerback spot. Unless some quality veteran hits the open market again which I doubt.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

If you're looking for more than that from Ross or Franks, you'll be sorely disappointed. At least Brown and Asa are younger with some upside, not injury prone, familiar with the coverage schemes, and both have ST value.

Unless one of the UDFAs really stands out in camp, I still think a veteran will be added toward the end of camp, either right before or after final cuts (like the Josh Wilson trade a few years ago). But you still aren't going to be getting a anything significantly better than the current in house options even with that, because good CBs get paid and generally aren't available unless you're looking at a blockbuster trade, which isn't going to happen.

And, even though I know you won't agree with this, most teams don't have better options for the 3rd/4th corners, so our situation is neither dire nor unique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: