Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Needs: 2014 Draftcentric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Team Needs: 2014 Draftcentric Reply with quote

I was browsing the Mock Draft forum here and there for the past month and what little mock draft went passed the first round seemed to be off a little on the Colts needs. OT coming up a lot lately. So I thought it best to start a thread to begin the discussion

1) DE/DT - Franklin, Moala, and Matthews are all hitting Free Agency this year. Would like to see Franklin and Moala resigned. But would also like to see Chapman's reps increase at the Nose. Need depth to push guys and you never know when Franklin and Redding will hit the wall (Franklin and Redding are 33)

Colts DL
DT (RE) - Ricky Jean-Francois // Ricardo Matthews // Montori Hughes (IR)
NT - Aubrayo Franklin // Josh Chapman
LE - Cory Redding // Fili Moala

2) CB - Greg Toler and Darius Butler are the only CBs under contract next year. Vontae Davis is on my list of most important resignings. Toler lost 7 weeks this season with a groin injury with injury being his biggest weakness coming over from Arizona.

3) C - Samson Satele has another year on his contract but I could care less about that. Mike McGlynn has actually outplayed Satele at C which is a surprise because he tries so hard to be the worst offensive lineman in the league. Khaled Holmes hasn't impressed the coaches enough to warrant being active enough and there were some instances this year where he was active and still didn't play.

4) ILB - Connor and Sheppard have been disappointing this year. And Angerer and Connor are FAs. Josh McNary has played well in limited time. And even before his season ending injury what I seen of Mario Harvey look good (I know there still wasn't much)

5) WR - A couple weeks ago this would have been #1, but Rogers and Brazill have both been showing steady improvement along with Luck seemingly growing more and more comfortable with them. Reggie Wayne returning next year means we have depth on the top but still need to add a WR or 2 for depth (notice I didn't mention anything about a certain individual who goes by 3 initials?)

6) OT - I've seen a lot of people giving us OT in the second round. I don't think they understand how well Castonzo and Cherilus have played this year. But we need depth. Joe Reitz is our backup LT and he isn't even a natural OT. Link and Nixon are our backups at RT and they have both played more OG then OT

SS, FS would be next but we only have 5 (or 6) picks depending on what happens with the Josh Gordy and AQ Shipley trades.

Thoughts? What do your rankings look like?
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
6) OT - I've seen a lot of people giving us OT in the second round. I don't think they understand how well Castonzo and Cherilus have played this year. But we need depth. Joe Reitz is our backup LT and he isn't even a natural OT. Link and Nixon are our backups at RT and they have both played more OG then OT

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Daily-Headlines-December-26th-Edition/6975f172-d279-4d93-80f7-ca552f7594e6

By: Stephen Holder, Indy Star

Quote:
Holder takes a look at the Colts bookend tackles in Anthony Castonzo and Gosder Cherilus.

"I actually think Gosder has been ballin' out," said Castonzo, fresh off a dominating performance against two-time Chiefs Pro Bowl linebacker Tamba Hali. "I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more buzz about him for the Pro Bowl. He's been kicking a--, playing against a lot of good players and knocking them down one by one."

Of Castonzo, Cherilus said: "I'm telling you you can mark this down you can search the whole NFL and you will not find a guy who works harder than Anthony. I'm talking about from the weight room, to the training room, to outside on the field. He works hard and he's a very prideful individual. He takes a lot of pride in what he does and it's paying off. I'm so happy for him."

For all the issues the Colts have endured from the interior of their offensive line, where injuries and subpar play have been ever-present obstacles, the Colts have enjoyed superb play from their offensive tackles. They have been much-needed stalwarts, not missing so much as a snap this season for a team that has started seven different offensive-line combinations.

And they've done it while playing at a high level at two of the most critical positions on the field.

"You could say they've been the two pillars of strength," said quarterback Andrew Luck, the beneficiary of his tackles' protection from opposing edge rushers.

I dont think we need to address Tackle in the draft at all. With the versatility of Reitz, Link and Nixon, I think we can look to add a free agent and look interior line in the draft? Or I guess we could look the other way, G in free agency and add Tackle in the draft, since there wouldnt be any immediate pressure.

Interesting article none the less
80tds (1 behind 22nd)

Colts Roster/Cap 2014-2018
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to really figure out draft needs, so much to happen up to that point.

Re-signing our FA
Trades
Free Agency

I think we will be in great position to go BPA(outside of QB).

We shall see what happens.

If we dont re-sign Vontae, CB will be #1 need though
80tds (1 behind 22nd)

Colts Roster/Cap 2014-2018
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Davis is our top priority. If we don't resign him then I think we use our 2nd rounder on a CB. If we do then I see us looking for an ILB to partner up with Freeman. I like McNary but I'm not sure if he is a full time starter, at least at this point. I would like to see Skov from Stanford.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on who we resign. I think Mlb and dt Stand out mostly to me.
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any prospects to look at? I don't really know college guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the closes thing to a 2014 draft thread I figured I would post draft talk in here.

My 2 favorite WRs ran 4.40 in the 40.

TJ Jones and Jordan Mathews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: