Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Positions that dont need attention
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Positions that dont need attention Reply with quote

We have some holes on this team for sure, but there are also a few ares where we are some great young or just great talent.

WR - I think Andre has 2 more seasons he can be the man, and we already have Deandre Hopkins who looks like he could be the real deal. We have had terrible QB play this season, and yet Hopkins, as a rookie, has posted the highest yardage total by our #2 WR since Kevin Walter in 2008. Posey and Martin have their issues, but as a 3/4 i think they are fine for now. We have 2 years before we have to give Hopkins some help

TE - good bye OD. The Last guy from our great 2006 draft class is finally leaving us. Graham and Griffin both look capable of playing big time TE for us next season, so i would leave this alone completely

CB - OK, dont stone me here, but lets face it, JJOE and Kareem are not terrible. When you look at the really horrible Safety play and the extremely poor nickleback play, it makes our secondary look terrible, but with many other holes to plug, i would leave our starting CBs alone. Cut Brice McCain for sure, and maybe sign a low cost 3rd CB, but we have bigger holes to fill

DE or DT might be set depending on what we do. If we move to a 4-3, then i would say we have some very good options at DE, if we stay in a 3-4 then i would continue to roll with Mitchell at NT, not because we couldnt use an upgrade, but you can only do so much in one off season

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB is most definitely a need.

You dismiss the NCB like he isn't on the field a lot. And KJ took a step back this year and still can't find the ball.

If we can get a CB with the aim of getting him to the outside by the end of the year or start of year 2 and move KJ to nickel that would be best.

Manning has been out which is a big reason our safety play has been poor. Swearinger has been up and down but you expect that from a rookie. We need depth there to guard against an injury which Keo and Pleasant don't provide. But I'd have no problem going into the season with Manning and Swearinger as the starters.

And if we stay in a 3-4 NT is a top 3 need. Mitchell is horrible.

#JDI
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't fill all the holes in one draft. So sometimes you just have to roll with the OK players, and see how things work out.

Only positions we are set at are RB,WR,TE,OLB,CB,SS,P,K

Just need to fix right side of OL, slot corner, FS, QB and DT

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's had four years to figure out how to get his head around and hasn't done so, culminating in excessive penalties. A new coach absolutely must fix this, or it's time to move him either to a new team or a new position (Safety). Moving him to Safety would help shore up our coverage there. Harris has been playing pretty decent I think, and could be a very solid backup on the outside, or possibly the starting NCB. However, I still think it's imperative that we draft or pick-up a FA CB that can play on the outside. This is a pretty solid CB draft, and I think it's important that we look for a starter, or at least get some quality depth.

I also think we've been awful at developing our young talent. KJ has flashed at times, but is still pretty mediocre much of the time. JJoe has taken a step back after his first season, which I know is partially due to injuries and age. Carmichael was next to worthless, but is playing decent for the Eagles. Harris has played well at times, but still needs more snaps to form an accurate opinion. If I recall correctly, we're looking at a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick that have not lived up to their potential, all with plenty of time to prove themselves. This means we miscalculated their talent level, failed to properly coach them, or a combination of both.
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that almost every position is in play in one way or another.

QB- Obviously need a new one and Schaub is gone
RB- Tate is going to get paid. Will our UDFA backups fit the new scheme?
FB- None under contract
TE- OD has 1 year left and Graham is a FA.
LT- Set with Brown
LG- Smith is a FA. Do we fix it with internal options?
OC- Set with Myers/Jones
RG- Not expecting us to move on from Brooks
RT- Obvious Need
WR- Top 2 are set, but if we switch schemes will we have to bring different guys to fit the scheme?

Then the defense is a mess because we don't know if it will be 3-4 or 4-3.
-Need DL because Antonio and Micthell are FA
-Need at least one LB next to Cushing
CB: McCain sucks but could be replaced internally by Harris, maybe. Kareem is in the last year of his deal.
S: Manning is in the last year of his deal. If we go to a 3 safety dime again, we need a 3rd safety.

K: Bullock sucks
P: Could be set here with Lechler bu he's not getting any younger
LS: who knows

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Can't fill all the holes in one draft. So sometimes you just have to roll with the OK players, and see how things work out.

Only positions we are set at are RB,WR,TE,OLB,CB,SS,P,K

Just need to fix right side of OL, slot corner, FS, QB and DT

I LOL'd so hard......are you serious?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't have All-Pro at every position sometimes you have to see which needs are the most glaring, and move on from there.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
mse326

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Can't have All-Pro at every position sometimes you have to see which needs are the most glaring, and move on from there.

Out OLBs only job is to get to the QB. Neither can do that. It's a pretty glaring need.

#JDI
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Out OLBs only job is to get to the QB. Neither can do that. It's a pretty glaring need.

On top of that, it's a passing league therefore why concentrate on the backend when even the best corners/safties in the league can't cover for more than 4-5 secs. You HAVE to get pressure on the QB and aside from JJ we generate nothing, and that's coming from a 1st and 2nd round pick on the edges.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only seriously address 4-5 positions per off season, maybe get 3 rookies and sign 2 free agents

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
He's had four years to figure out how to get his head around and hasn't done so, culminating in excessive penalties. A new coach absolutely must fix this, or it's time to move him either to a new team or a new position (Safety). Moving him to Safety would help shore up our coverage there.

I'm 100% behind this. Kareem DOES have some good tools, is a good football player...but the weaknesses he has when playing man coverage are some major issues, and the guy hasn't shown much of a propensity to correct it. It's time to call a spade a spade; Kareem simply isn't cut out to be an NFL CB. He could be a pretty good FS alongside Swearinger, however.

This being said - I think the need for FS trumps the need for CB. While some are assuming that Danieal Manning is coming back, I've heard media sources as well as medical experts call Manning's knee injury a "catastrophic" injury, and have speculated that it could be a career altering or career ending injury. The plateau of the tib/fib is something that can't be surgically repaired, like an ACL or something. Word is that he shattered that thing pretty bad, and a hit against that affected knee could have permanent repercussions. This all being said, we saw what a sieve our defense became when Manning left - it was a sieve when he was IN the lineup, but only got worse with Shiloh Keo/Eddie Pleseant splitting reps. Moving Jackson would be the move I'd make, taking a platoon approach with a rookie in the 3rd round along with a veteran signed this offseason...but this draft class has some value at S, could be a nice find to pair up with Swearinger for a long period of time.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we suddenly have so many needs? Crying or Very sad

Maybe we should trade back. Bilk the Rams for roughly what they got out of the Redskins; both 1sts this year and a 2nd and next year's 1st and 2nd or something outrageous. I can't believe I'm even considering it.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

Maybe we should trade back. Bilk the Rams for roughly what they got out of the Redskins; both 1sts this year and a 2nd and next year's 1st and 2nd or something outrageous. I can't believe I'm even considering it.

Nobody is going to give us the same package the Rams for for RG3 to trade up for Bridgewater.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

Cleveland is the only team that might be desperate enough and have the picks to make the deal. Personally, I don't want to trade down. Bridgewater seems to be easily a tier ahead of the other QBs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
kenney wrote:

Cleveland is the only team that might be desperate enough and have the picks to make the deal. Personally, I don't want to trade down. Bridgewater seems to be easily a tier ahead of the other QBs.

Trust me, I don't disagree. I'm on the record as saying that Bridgewater is the best QB prospect second to Luck in at least 10 years.

But I'm conflicted because 4 months ago I was confident we had a roster that could compete with any team in the AFC, QB notwithstanding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: