Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gruden to Oakland rumors from La Canfora CBS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raidin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Why would we ever let Bill O'Brien make a squad in his image? What exactly has he done to deserve that kind of power?

Every HC expects to make the team in their image. That is why when there is a regime change there is expected attrition as some players will be miscast in the new system(s). If Mark wants to make the team in his or his father's image then he should coach. If that is Mark's agenda then we can expect another decade of pain.

Very few HC get the chance. Certainly no way Bill O'Brien should be one of those HC who do.
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cowher anyone? I posted on this thread earlier talking about him but no one replied, so I thought I'd try using a photo lol. I don't know whether or not he plans on coming back but I personally thought he was an excellent coach with the Steelers, he did have the best DC in the league at the time though.
Chali21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ro4DPoY wrote:

Bill Cowher anyone? I posted on this thread earlier talking about him but no one replied, so I thought I'd try using a photo lol. I don't know whether or not he plans on coming back but I personally thought he was an excellent coach with the Steelers, he did have the best DC in the league at the time though.

Personally I think Cower is done, he has been in the league for almost 10 years. If we are going to go for a coach hasn't coached in awhile I'd say Gruden.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Ro4DPoY wrote:

Personally I think Cower is done, he has been in the league for almost 10 years. If we are going to go for a coach hasn't coached in awhile I'd say Gruden.

It also comes down to styles of football. Cowher's style of smash mouth football doesn't fits the new NFL. Gruden's offense on the other hand will probably be more potent with all the rule changes.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Ro4DPoY wrote:

It also comes down to styles of football. Cowher's style of smash mouth football doesn't fits the new NFL. Gruden's offense on the other hand will probably be more potent with all the rule changes.

I wouldn't go that far gruden flamed out in Tampa towards the end. I don't recall his offenses tho anybody remember ?

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
bitty wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Ro4DPoY wrote:

I wouldn't go that far gruden flamed out in Tampa towards the end. I don't recall his offenses tho anybody remember ?

It's a pass heavy WC with a lot of dump offs to the RBs.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
When you see all those experienced coaches on that list, and think about how much cap room they'll have to work with, along with the high draft picks, I can really see us canning Allen.

Allen is here to learn, and while he might be learning, I don't know if he's learning quickly enough. Don't get me wrong, if he's still here next year, that's fine by me, because I've always said you need time and continuity, but man, looking at that list of experienced coaches, it just makes you think. In recent years, the Oakland job has been poison; something no coach in their right mind would want to take unless they were young and with nothing to lose. But now we're heading in the right direction, that's totally different and I think we could attract a decent number of names on that list.

Pretty much how I see it as well. It could be really enticing to some coaches. Allen could be upgraded. But I wouldn't cry if we kept him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Why would we ever let Bill O'Brien make a squad in his image? What exactly has he done to deserve that kind of power?

Every HC expects to make the team in their image. That is why when there is a regime change there is expected attrition as some players will be miscast in the new system(s). If Mark wants to make the team in his or his father's image then he should coach. If that is Mark's agenda then we can expect another decade of pain.

Very few HC get the chance. Certainly no way Bill O'Brien should be one of those HC who do.

OK. I don't know if you're paying attention but O'Brien is certainly getting more suction than any of the retreads everyone else is throwing around. Btw, in whose image should a team be made?
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:

OK. I don't know if you're paying attention but O'Brien is certainly getting more suction than any of the retreads everyone else is throwing around. Btw, in whose image should a team be made?

Here is something for you to read Bagga:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/26/bill-obrien-penn-state-nfl/

I love O'brien as well. Think he could be the hard-nosed team developer the Raiders franchise needs. But it sounds like there are some external (family related) items that would be detractors.

Didn't know any of this about O'brien prior to reading this.
91jmay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fine with canning D.A now. I thought he showed something mid way through the year but the team, even though it is talent-less at virtually every key position, collapsing two years in a row is a death sentence. I think D.A could be a very good coach one day, but doubt its in Oakland.

Chucky coming back? Eh. Likes vets and not sure its a route Reggie wants to go.

He's going to last until the 20's, quote that.

On Bridgewater.
dante9876

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:

I think he is trying to say the gm makes the team and only few coaches have complete control of personal. I believe that's what he is getting at. Which in any case is still a pretty silly statement. I don't know why people think gm and coaches don't talk and that they don't build their teams around the coaches strengths.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:

Here is something for you to read Bagga:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/26/bill-obrien-penn-state-nfl/

I love O'brien as well. Think he could be the hard-nosed team developer the Raiders franchise needs. But it sounds like there are some external (family related) items that would be detractors.

Didn't know any of this about O'brien prior to reading this.

interesting....

i dont hate o'brien but id like him as a oc more than a hc at least initially

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
Willis666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
I am fine with canning D.A now. I thought he showed something mid way through the year but the team, even though it is talent-less at virtually every key position, collapsing two years in a row is a death sentence. I think D.A could be a very good coach one day, but doubt its in Oakland.

Chucky coming back? Eh. Likes vets and not sure its a route Reggie wants to go.

It's very disappointing seeing how the team has collapsed these last weeks. I was firmly behind Allen having at least one more season to show what he can do with some talent, but now I'm ehhh about the whole situation. Although I wouldn't mind him staying, I certainly won't complain if he's shown the door. This upcoming season would be a perfect time for a new coach to come in with the draft picks and the salary cap. We also aren't tied to a QB.
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a young COACH. I think from college or something. I'm tired of bringing coordinators in to coach, when all they know is one side of the ball, and don't know how to lead.

If we get an actual coach and let him grow with the team I think we'll be in ok shape for the future.

Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:

I think he is trying to say the gm makes the team and only few coaches have complete control of personal. I believe that's what he is getting at. Which in any case is still a pretty silly statement. I don't know why people think gm and coaches don't talk and that they don't build their teams around the coaches strengths.

+1

No HC should have complete control.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: