Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Quarterbacks
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: 2014 Quarterbacks Reply with quote

Note: this is NOT a place to discuss Blaine Gabbert. So please check your love or hatred for him at the door. If you wish to discuss his future with the team, please use the thread in this link. Please do not use this thread as a means to trash other QBs to prop him up, or to trash him. It's tiring to have every thread eventually turn into somehow being about him.

------

At the start of the 2014 calendar year, the Jaguars will have two Quarterbacks under contract; the aforementioned Blaine Gabbert and Iowa-fan favorite Ricky Stanzi. It's a virtual certainty that this team will be in the market for a QB, whether you believe it to be a starter or a backup, or both.

Pending Free Agents
Michael Vick
Jay Cutler
Chad Henne
Matt Cassel
Shaun Hill
Josh Freeman
Charlie Whitehurst
Colt McCoy
Tarvaris Jackson
Curtis Painter
Dan Orlovsky
David Garrard
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Rex Grossman
Derek Anderson
Luke McCown
Rusty Smith
Seneca Wallace
Jordan Palmer
Brady Quinn
Matt Flynn
Jimmy Clausen

I took this from Spotrac's list of pending QB Free Agents, I realize that some of these guys won't actually see Free Agency (Cutler being one of the ones that should re-sign).

It's seemingly a given that if a player is signed in Free Agency, he will either be a backup or a scab starter while a younger player is groomed. It would be very unlikely that the Jaguars would target a player in Free Agency to start for any long period of time. The one exception could be if the team was excited about what Henne has done and wants him long term, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Also possible: Matt Scott and Jordan Rodgers could be retained for another year as camp arms and eventual Practice Squad players.

Pending Rookies
4 Teddy Bridgewater
10 Derek Carr
12 Johnny Manziel
38 Blake Bortles
49 A.J. McCarron
70 Zach Mettenberger
80 David Fales
92 Brett Smith
99 Jimmy Garoppolo
123 Tajh Boyd
160 Aaron Murray
174 Braxton Miller
227 Stephen Morris
264 Logan Thomas
271 Garrett Gilbert
285 Casey Pachall
293 Connor Shaw
301 Jeff Mathews
321 Keith Price
366 Tom Savage
377 Keith Wenning
397 Kenny Guiton
418 Jordan Lynch
438 Bryn Renner
455 DeNarius McGhee
471 Brendon Kay
484 James Franklin
492 Logan Kilgore
502 Nathan Scheelhaase
518 Tyler Russell
528 Chase Rettig
538 Dustin Vaughan
549 Brock Jensen
553 C.J. Brown
558 Taylor Martinez
572 Adam Kennedy
582 Tyler Tettleton
595 Corey Robinson
614 Tommy Rees
639 Drew Allen
666 Clint Chelf
687 Cody Green
708 Charley Loeb
749 Kolton Browning
821 Derek Thompson
892 Cody Vaz
921 Brandon Mitchell
968 Kurt Hess
984 Case McCoy
994 Joe Southwick

I pulled these from CBS's website, because they have the most extensive full list I was able to find. Most of those guys will go undrafted, and probably about half won't even get an invite to a camp, but I wanted them all there anyway. I left the ranking numbers there, just to give a starting point of where they are being ranked. Those numbers aren't the end all, be all for the discussion, obviously. I'm well aware that this group could have some players in it that will return to school. If a player is set to return to school, simply dropping his name will likely get me to remove them from the list.

The first 5 guys on that list are probably guys you could get ready to be day one starters if need be. That doesn't mean there won't be a learning curve or that they wouldn't benefit from sitting for a bit, it just means that they're far enough along that as long as they have a good offseason, they'll be at least capable enough to start "learning on the job." There's a case for some of the guys past that point, and maybe even the top 10 could be "ready by week 5 or so," but ideally if you wanted a guy to start early on, it'll probably be one of those first 5. Fales has a case too, maybe Brett Smith as well. Mettenberger will probably need a full year because that injury will limit how he can adjust to the NFL.

And here we go.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
MJD4MVP5455

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh McCown interests me somewhat as a stop gap QB...hes older so he wont want a longer contract and if we go in the direction of drafting a development QB who needs a year or two to learn then McCown could be a good option if Dave believes that his success in Chicago could be replicated somewhat without having 4 very good-elite offensive weapons around him

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Teddy is pretty clearly the ideal solution to the QB situation. If he's available, i think he has to be the pick and i'd be very happy with that. Realistically though...that is looking less and less likely, unless Houston decides to go a different direction (Bortles, Carr lololololol, or a trade/signing of a vet like Kirk Cousins, Cutler, etc.).

So barring the Teddy option...

-I'm really not sold on Bortles as a top-5 selection in the draft. There are things to like there for sure, but when you select a top-5 QB...that has to be the guy. And there's a huge amount of risk involved with Bortles, and no shortage of questionmarks as well. It's worth considering though at least.

-Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel, i have a really hard time convincing myself that either is at all worthy of a top-5 selection. There are just too many flaws, issues, questionmarks with both. There are some things to like with each, but not 'top-5' sort of like.

The Free Agent options don't really entice me at all.

-I like Cutler, but it's the wrong sort of player at the wrong time for where this Jaguars team is headed right now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see

-Henne back next year, as he's obviously earned some trust from the coaching staff and the team in general...he emerged as 'the guy' for this year with the confidence of the organization over Gabbert. I think he'd be an acceptable option if we end up with a 'developmental guy' who needs to sit, as you can obviously start Henne for a while without losing the team...they'll play hard for him at least.

-Colt McCoy for me, is the guy i'd really love to see as a backup here if we happen to land a 'day 1 starter' type. He'd bring a measure of 'reliability' to the position, and seems to know his role, as well as being a useful sideline presence with lots of those 'intangibles' to offer.

-Jimmy Clausen is a name that is also extremely interesting to me...as i think it is very relevant to this whole "Johnny Football" dialogue. There are some similarities there that are hard to ignore for me.

As far as the rest of the draft goes:

-Brett Smith is an extremely interesting name for me. I seriously doubt he opts in for this year, but if he does...i see him a lot like what Johnny Manziel is supposed to be...without any of the hype. Obviously runs under the radar because Wyoming, but he's very mobile and has a real knack for extending plays and throwing on the run. I think he also demonstrates some aptitude for passing from the pocket that might be developed a lot if you could put him in a situation with more talent around him. He'd be a very exciting 'developmental guy' i think.

-Jeff Mathews is another guy that i find really interesting as a 'developmental' guy. He has some tremendous tools and it's hard to ignore the complete lack of talent around him at Cornell. But the flip side of that is obviously the lack of competition. Personally, he's near the very top of my list of 'guys to take a flyer on' if that's the route we go. He's got great size, a strong arm, decent mobility, tremendous attitude and charisma, and i mean the guy goes to Cornell...he's gotta be relatively intelligent. I'd hope that he can progress in the complexity of reads and offensive scheme when presented to him. I'd have him a lot higher than '301'.

-AJ McCarron is an interesting one, as i personally liken him a lot to a Kirk Cousins coming out. And i think we're generally talking about the same sort of player. He seems capable of being a 'game manager' with a potential +, and doing so almost immediately in the NFL. He's a guy with tons of valuable high level experience and seems very capable of operating an offense as a 'game manager' without turning the ball over or making huge mistakes. Maybe not a 'long term answer', but there's still plenty of value in a guy who can come in and play 'well enough'...particularly if there's a developmental ace in the hole behind him.

As far as the late round/UDFA type guys go:

-Bryn Renner is interesting to me. Not as a potential starter, but i think he could develop into a serviceable backup with some real work and polish. The injury has hurt him more than it probably should have, as i think he's a better player with more ability than a lot of the guys ranked well above him there.

-Tyler Russell is also very interesting to me. Again, i think injury really halted any upward momentum he may have developed this year. But the guy has some great physical tools. He very well may never figure out how to put it all together, but a guy with those potential physical tools and the little flashes he showed, has to be worth a late round flyer for a QB needy team imo.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing i'd add...is that despite the flak he gets, i think Sam Bradford would be a very interesting option if the Rams decide to move on from him. Despite the elephant contract, he's at least a mid-tier QB in the NFL imo, with potential to be much better if he ever decides to fully unleash his really strong arm.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could really see Jacksonville taking a flyer on someone like Josh McCown, Matt Flynn (low chance), or even Matt Cassell.

I do NOT think that if they went into Free Agency for a QB (unless it was Jay Cutler) that would even remotely change their draft plans. In other words, if they were planning to take a QB with their 1st round pick, if they picked up one of the Free Agent QBs, I don't think that would make them not draft a QB in the first round.

Perhaps they even go out and grab Mike Vick, I don't think Vick is going to get a huge contract, he could be a player that adds excitement? How do you guys feel about that?

Personally, if you don't get a shot at Teddy (in other words, if Houston does draft him instead of Carr), and Carr isn't on the board, perhaps the Jags should wait it out until the 2nd round and select another position, perhaps Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack?

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that list, I'd think they'd either bring back Henne, and if they can't land Teddy, take McCarron atop of round 2, and maybe draft someone in the later rounds/PFA, but then again, still have Matt Scott.

QB: Henne / McCarron / Scott[Stanzi]

A couple of late names on that list are Matthews/Savage/Guiton/Wenning/Morris/Vaughan/ and most surprising he's so low is Brock Jensen.

#JDI
dswinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for one of the three Bridgewater, Cousins or Bortles. Something striking me about Bortles I was rooting for UCF to lose all year but every week he proved me wrong. I'm not going to say he has the it factor but he has been clutch all year, I'm really starting to like this kid. I'm waiting to see what he does against Baylor.

"Thanks for the great sig MoJo122-b-21, one of the best alive".
sadjag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Matthews is extremely compelling too me. Russell wilson fell down so far because of his height, turned out not too be a big deal. Matthews will fall because of his school imo this is also not a huge deal.

I haven't watched a lot of his games so I'm not suggesting he is anywhere near the same player Wilson was coming out of the draft.

I am saying that I believe he could be a starting QB in the league if he has some time too sit and get comfortable. The fact that the other teams are going too overlook him because of the competiton he faced in college presents the opportunity for tremendous value in the 2nd-3rd round.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at a draft breakdown video of him against Dartmouth. He didn't look impressive at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the Jaguars and I couldn't get Teddy, I'd draft Blake Bortles.

I'd also sign Shaun Hill in FA(or try to).

And if I didn't like my first round options at QB, I'd consider a guy like Aaron Murray or David Fales in the mid rounds.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
sadjag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
I just looked at a draft breakdown video of him against Dartmouth. He didn't look impressive at all.
Yea I'm starting too regret that "starting QB" bit, like I said I haven't watched very many of his games this year. I believed the games I watched were from last year but i did come away impressed with his arm and accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me if Bridgewater isn't there which I highly doubt he is I kind of wish he goes back to school so we won't have to face him twice a year. But with that being said I see them picking Defense with the first pick and QB second round.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im fine bringing back Henne but not to start all year obviously. I wouldnt mind giving McCown a chance, but i feel like Flynn is a bad idea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just watched two games of Bortles ( Penn St. and Akron ) and I must say I don't see how guys are putting Carr ahead of him.

Bortles has + intermediate accuracy and a fairly impressive deep ball. He underthrew a couple guys down the field but he also made some great deep throws on the run that really impressed me. He also showed great pocket presence, stepping up in the pocket and rolling out when he had too extend the play all while keeping his eyes downfield. I'm not an expert when it come too footwork but nothing I saw jumped out too me as bad.

Now I realize it was only two games but I wanted too ask you guys what deficiencies do you see in his game? Because too me from what I've seen this year ( admittedly not much ) I'd have him as my #2 QB. I have serious worries about Manziel's body holding up and I'm not nearly as high on Carr as most. I think He's going too need some time and coaching too be effective.

Why is he the 4th QB on most boards including the one on this thread? Please don't say level of competition He's played at least as many good teams as Carr and Teddy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake Bortles is a late first rounder to second round talent to me. His draft stock will be inflated (presumably) because of team needs though. He has serious ball placement and accuracy issues and to me it doesn't look like he reads defenses well. His physical upside is great and so is his poise in the pocket, but with the way his accuracy comes and goes and that questionable defense reading ability I'm not call him a top 15 pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: