Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is the Offense Too Conservative? Is it Time to Open it Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzaloha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Is the Offense Too Conservative? Is it Time to Open it Up? Reply with quote

In these last two games, the offense seemed to struggle. Against the Niners, I think that the penalties and really good defense by the Niners explains the tepid numbers. I thought the Giants defense played well, but this is the first game that made me feel like the play calling was a bit too conservative. (They did try to make an adjustment at some point.)

I don't necessarily think they should throw the ball down field--what I have in mind are more quick hitting pass plays, including from spread formations. I'm not sure what the coverage was, but my (vague) sense was that both the Giants and Niners had a scheme that would shut down the run and handle the pass from the type of formations/plays Seattle ran--that is, they were geared to stop a more conventional NFL offense (versus the spread, pass-heavy offenses). Seattle seemed to do better when they went to empty back sets (but I could be wrong about that).

I'm wondering if certain good defenses have figured out a way to shut down the run, while making the passing game difficult (This partly occurs because the OL struggled at times with pass protection.) And I'm wondering if it's time to go beyond a more conservative/traditional approach--at least some of the time?

(For what it's worth, I really like the more traditional approach--in general--but I do think there's a time and place for more pass-oriented plays that many teams favor in the NFL.)
Ring Worm Sherm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see more passing. Were more than capable of it. So yes, I think they're being a bit conservative and need to open it up. Bevell has gone back to his run 1st and 2nd down and be absolutely predictable come 3rd down.

“Its pay back, Russell Wilson"
Jazzaloha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the offense is capable of it--my concern is the effect it may have on the defense. If it means weakening their effectiveness, I'm not sure I'd go for that trade-off.

The thing is, during a game, you could stick with a real conservative approach--and then switch to a more pass-oriented one, when you have to. That plan would work, I think. For example, against the Giants, was there a need to open up the offense? Given the way the Giant offense and Seahawk defense played, I don't think so. I also think the relatively conservative approach in the Niner game was probably the right one. (If they defense just didn't give up that long run to Gore,...)

Still, during yesterday's game, I did get a little antsy and sort of wanted them to open it up. Plus, I'm wondering if they should consider doing this in the playoffs.
Wee-Bey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll see the playbook open up until the playoffs, unless we get desperate in the next two weeks, and I doubt that happens.
KayJayz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the playoffs, we'll be playing very good teams and eventually we'll have to open it up and mix in an effective passing attack. I'd rather see us trying to fit that in now so we're comfortable with it during the playoffs but I suspect that Pete knows and likes where we're at and wants to keep the opposing teams focusing on stopping the run. If the defense focuses on stopping Marshawn and succeeds in doing so, they might not be as prepared to stop a 350 yard passing attack. At this point, I have trust in Pete's coaching ability and pray to god that Bevell gets a head coaching spot somewhere else next year.

~props to mike23md~
Wee-Bey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayJayz wrote:
During the playoffs, we'll be playing very good teams and eventually we'll have to open it up and mix in an effective passing attack. I'd rather see us trying to fit that in now so we're comfortable with it during the playoffs but I suspect that Pete knows and likes where we're at and wants to keep the opposing teams focusing on stopping the run. If the defense focuses on stopping Marshawn and succeeds in doing so, they might not be as prepared to stop a 350 yard passing attack. At this point, I have trust in Pete's coaching ability and pray to god that Bevell gets a head coaching spot somewhere else next year.

Even the run game has been basic off tackle runs with little other variation. I think it's pretty obvious that the team isn't playing for right now.
Jazzaloha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I re-watched the game last night, and they actually did open up the offense at some point. (I also was a little too harsh on my assessment of Wilson's performance, too.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: