Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 15 GDT: BAL Ravens @ DET Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's more mad?
Matt Elam... he hates old people.
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Dez Bryant... he wants all the attention.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Calvin Johnson... Because he'll need a cain soon.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Jimmy Smith... Because he hasn't reached nickname status yet.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Packers fans... if we lose.
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Anyone else a bit annoyed when they ran the montage of 'questionable calls' we've benefitted from? I understand that there are aggrieved fans on the other side of the other calls, but the fact that they had put together a clips package ready to roll the second we got away with PI was more than a little annoying, especially when they rushed through it providing no context so as to make a casual fan think that every important game we've ever won was on the backs of a bad call. Webb certainly got away with PI last night on that play in the end zone, but there are a lot of reasonable people and neutral fans who would agree that the Super Bowl play was a good no-call and that even if there was no PI on the Pitta play last week against MIN, illegal contact may have occurred earlier in the play (the part of the play that was not shown in their quick re-hash last night)... as for the 2 point conversion against PIT, that's not even debatable IMO... I don't see a real argument for PI occurring on that play.

They might all be debatable on their own but to put something like that together to not-so-subtly discredit the accomplishments of this team felt a bit disrespectful, and I'm not generally a fan of taking that sort of stance - I've just never seen them paint such a broad picture of a franchise in that way as being built off of questionable decisions as if we're the first team to ever have seen a call go our way.

That was incredibly annoying. The Superbowl no-call with Crabtree is now regularly referenced as a "missed PI". There was a pretty big debate on pretty much any forum that involved football when that play happened, and most people agreed it was a good non-call. But a minority of people will just keep repeating the "missed PI" line until becomes accepted as fact. Kind of like the Ray Lewis situation. At least we have the super bowl win to show for it.

I remember the refs routinely killing the Ravens with terrible calls from before the Harbaugh era all the way into 2011. It was either I, or someone else from here that even made a topic about it on NFL gen, and Ravens' fans got painted as a bunch that always cry about bad calls. After a long time of watching football I had just come to accept, referees will make bad calls, the good teams just overcome it. Funny enough, when I finally learned that, it seems like Harbaugh has managed to coach this team up to play pretty clean football. To the point where, even as a Ravens' fan, it seems to me that we get a lot of calls going our way since 2012.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note... it was a smart play by Rice but I don't think I would have blamed him if he tried to take that last run to the house.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Side note... it was a smart play by Rice but I don't think I would have blamed him if he tried to take that last run to the house.

Anything to get that YPC up and get some fantasy stats Wink I thought he was going to go a little farther than he did, actually

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Joe's reaction in the background Laughing

http://instagram.com/p/iCKrhJBiR6/

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

Anything to get that YPC up and get some fantasy stats Wink I thought he was going to go a little farther than he did, actually

Haha, moreso just to get the monkey off his back a little. Man's got a 3.1 YPC right now Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

- What the hell was the playcalling on that last 3rd down?! RUNNING the ball on 3rd and 10 instead of letting your clutch QB win you the game? I mean don't get me wrong, I love Justin Tucker (as shown above) and so does my fantasy team (which still lost by 20 points because Jacoby didn't get 2 TD's Sad), but still, WHY?! WHAT IS THE THOUGHT PROCESS?!

I think I can explain this; I'm pretty sure Joe made that play call as he was thinking that converting 4th and 7 would be slightly easier then trying to convert 4th and 10. Harbaugh just had to remind him that even the wrong side of the 50 is still Tucker Territory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

Selfless too. Great decision to take that dive and let the clock run out. You know he's aching to get in the endzone, and to rack up yards, especially after the year he's had, especially when it would have put them up by 9 with barely any time on the clock, but he sat down for the team.

Too many players in this game put themselves before their team. Ray Rice ain't one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewatching the 61-yarder it's so obvious how important passionate commentators are. Tirico going nuts only adds to the awesomeness of the play.
Now imagine the kick being called by Joe Buck.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
nevermore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Pettigrew's reaction is my favourite.

That's wide ...

Whaaa ?!

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermore wrote:
Rewatching the 61-yarder it's so obvious how important passionate commentators are. Tirico going nuts only adds to the awesomeness of the play.
Now imagine the kick being called by Joe Buck.

It'd be just like Harry Doyle's announcing partner in Major League when Doyle passes out drunk:

"The kick is up. Good."

BlaqOptic wrote:
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
That was a completely BS call there... I didn't see PI...

The facemask is definitely legit from the play before. There's clearly helmet tuggage similar to when Smith played the Patriots in 2012 after his brother's tragedy. The Lions DB just doesn't hold onto it quite as long.

Rewatching the game and yeah, that PI call was definitely EXTREMELY soft. Delmas does put his hands on Brown's jersey, but Brown doesn't fall until later when he's trying to adjust to the ball. There is the possibility that Delmas does contact him a second time right before the adjustment and thus helps him lose balance, but there's not a good angle front side to see if that occurs. If it does and the official had a clean view backside, well, then this call just might have some legs.

But it doesn't matter. Even if it was soft. It led to about 15 yds and we kicked a 24 yder there... pretty sure Tucker nails a 39 yarder. Plus we still had two downs to pick up those 15 yards and thus extend the drive.

More importantly, however, it doesn't matter because the Lions got the makeup call... as expected. On the very next Ravens drive right before half time, the Lions mugged Marlon Brown in coverage. That was quite clearly a pass interference as Brown was trying to make a play on the ball and the Lions CB was contacting him, shielding/hugging him from the ball, but not looking at the ball himself... and then to make matters worse Delmas tackles Brown over the top... all before the ball gets there... yet the play was called a "personal foul" penalty that netted us only 15 yds... as opposed to putting the ball at the 7 yd line for the DPI (and maybe even slightly closer to the endzone), we got it at the 29 yd line... a difference of 22 yards.

So yeah, from that, we actually loss yds on that sequence. And the difference in calls is the difference in losing a potential TD on that last series (3 shots, with 3 TOs at the 10 yds line) to gaining better field position for the field goal by putting us just inside the redzone. Lions definitely didn't get screwed by us "benefiting" from any calls. You could make a better argument that we did, in fact.

EDIT: Was rewatching the game and wanted to make a correction on an earlier comment/post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in terms of Smith/Megatron- Just finished watching the game and tracking the coverage. The numerator shows the plays where Smith is covering and the denominator is the total amount of pass plays on that drive...
Smith/Megatron coverage chart wrote:
Man coverage:
1st drive- 2/4 = No completions
2nd drive- 1/3 = No completions
3rd drive- 2/3 = No completions, 1 target
4th drive- 1/2 = 1 completion, 7 yds
5th drive- 3/5 = 1 completion, 1 yd
6th drive- 1/2 = No completion, Stafford INT on Calvin target by Tyson
8th drive- 3/3 = No completion, 2 targets.
9th drive- 2/2 = No completions
10th drive- 3/6 = No completions

Game- 18/30 (60%) = 4 targets; 2 completions, 8 yds; 1.33 yds/target

Zone coverage:
3rd drive- 1/3 = No completions
5th drive- 1/5 = No completions, 1 target
7th drive- 1/3 = 37 yds, pass between Smith/Ihedigbo... Smith shoe string tackle.
10th drive- 3/6 = 1 target; 2 completions between Smith/Ihedigbo, first for 21 yds, 2nd for 14 yds.

Game- 6/15 (40%) = 2 targets; 3 completions, 72 yds; 14.4 yds/target;

All Coverage:
10 drives- 24/33 (73%) = 11 targets; 5 completions, 80 yds; 7.27 yds/target; 2.42 yds/pass play

The only time Megatron made any impact against Smith... was in zone coverage.

I think it's quite safe to say that Smith put forth a dominant man coverage game and was average to above average in zone coverage vs the best WR in the game.

As an aside, I do think I understand what Elam MEANT to say in reference to Calvin. Calvin has been limited by a knee injury most of the season. Perhaps Elam was unaware of Calvin's knee issue and attributed his less physical play this season to age/possible declining, rather than playing through an injury all season. And when you look at it from that perspective, his statements and the context in which he said them in does make much more sense IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
And in terms of Smith/Megatron- Just finished watching the game and tracking the coverage. The numerator shows the plays where Smith is covering and the denominator is the total amount of pass plays on that drive...
Smith/Megatron coverage chart wrote:
Man coverage:
1st drive- 2/4 = No completions
2nd drive- 1/3 = No completions
3rd drive- 2/3 = No completions, 1 target
4th drive- 1/2 = 1 completion, 7 yds
5th drive- 3/5 = 1 completion, 1 yd
6th drive- 1/2 = No completion, Stafford INT on Calvin target by Tyson
8th drive- 3/3 = No completion, 2 targets.
9th drive- 2/2 = No completions
10th drive- 3/6 = No completions

Game- 18/30 (60%) = 4 targets; 2 completions, 8 yds; 1.33 yds/target

Zone coverage:
3rd drive- 1/3 = No completions
5th drive- 1/5 = No completions, 1 target
7th drive- 1/3 = 37 yds, pass between Smith/Ihedigbo... Smith shoe string tackle.
10th drive- 3/6 = 1 target; 2 completions between Smith/Ihedigbo, first for 21 yds, 2nd for 14 yds.

Game- 6/15 (40%) = 2 targets; 3 completions, 72 yds; 14.4 yds/target;

All Coverage:
10 drives- 24/33 (73%) = 11 targets; 5 completions, 80 yds; 7.27 yds/target; 2.42 yds/pass play

The only time Megatron made any impact against Smith... was in zone coverage.

I think it's quite safe to say that Smith put forth a dominant man coverage game and was average to above average in zone coverage vs the best WR in the game.

Great research. I was looking for these numbers, but didn't the time to compile them for myself. Jimmy and Webb at corner for the foreseeable future sounds pretty good to me.

GO RAVENS!!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's assuming Webb gets back to his elite play. But as of right now, he's been inconsistent this season. Just as I was ready to pronounce him as back after that Bengals game, he has had less than stellar performances. And the Lions game wasn't much different in the grand scheme of things. He didn't give up any huge completions but his coverage wasn't exactly stellar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ryan Mink ‏@ryanmink 1h
Wow RT @BSL_Bryden: Jimmy Smith was aligned opposite Calvin Johnson for 47 of 61 snaps (77%). Smith was not beaten in man coverage all game.

BlaqOptic wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: