Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alternate First Round Direction...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Alternate First Round Direction... Reply with quote

First off, I know we're in the thick of the playoff race and that's front and center, but I was just thinking... most people on here FINALLY agree about what direction we should go with our first round pick. That direction tends to be WR with *insert whoever you think is your BPA wide receiver prospect is*.

But other than WR what guy are you most looking forward to being there at the Ravens draft selection to snatch him up?

Usually we tend to have more variation across the board and I'm just looking for an alternate first round pick. Who is that guy that you realistically believe will be available come pick #25 (or so) that you would love for the Ravens to target?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A non-receiver?

Two months ago, I'd have said I want a LT, and that I'd prefer the Ravens to go there in the 1st round than to go for a WR. But now they have Monroe.

So perhaps Jace Amaro at TE, depending on what happens with Pitta and Dickson. A two TE set, with two guys who are significant receiving threats, would be nice.

Stephon Tuitt or Louis Nix would be great additions to the D-line, but hardly areas of need. Still, they could either end up being the BPA when the Ravens pick.

The only other guy I can think of would be Haha Clinton-Dix, who would be a fantastic complement to Matt Elam, as a FS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Mancunian Raven just said. I'd also like to add, Darqueze Dennard and Ryan Shazier (if he's coming out) as a couple of players I'd love to see us get in the first round.

Dennard could replace Graham when he leaves in free agency. In today's passing league it's crucial to have three great corners on your defense.

If Daryl Smith walks in FA as well then Arthur Brown will need another wingman. Unless you want to see Bynes or McClain starting. Enter Ryan Shazier.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it would be much deviation from receiver, but if we do decide to let Dickson walk after this season, I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins in a bad way - er that probably didn't come off right. But regardless, this guy is going to be a beast at the next level. He really under-produced in the Huskies offense, but I expect him to put up some electric numbers at the combine. He's a great receiver as well as blocker who can serve as another outlet for Joe or go vertical on smaller linebackers and safeties. I think he has all the tools necessary to be the best tight end in this draft class, except the numbers. And can you guys imagine running two tight end sets with him and Pitta (assuming he gets re-signed) with Torrey and either of Jacoby or Deonte Thompson on the outside? Shocked

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids

Last edited by RavensTillIDie on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to end up picking in the low 20s I would be so stoked if Ryan Shazier or Eric Ebron fell to us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't go WR, which honestly, I don't think we should with a 1st round pick, BECAUSE, assuming we bring back Jacoby (which is a big assumption), we could have Smith/Jacoby/Marlon/Doss with Pitta as well. I like that combination. Plus Deonte Thompson. We have size, speed, hands spread throughout the roster, we just don't have anyone who emphasizes all 3 of those traits.

I think in the first round we need to go BPA or Defensive Line. Haloti is not the man he once was, Canty is oft-injured, and Art Jones will likely be leaving via free agency, which leaves us with a hole at LE/DT which needs to be filled by someone like a Muhammed Wilkerson. We need that interior presence of athleticism, size, and pass rush that can penetrate and cause havok when our outside rushers aren't doing that. Earlier on this year, Canty was that guy but he's slowed down a lot. In previous years it's been Haloti but now he's slowed down and plays a different role. Ideally, I would love to see that guy be Pernell McPhee but he's just not big enough I suppose.

Another direction we could go is to fire Dean Pees (PLEASE!), switch to a 4-3 alignment, put Arthur Brown(assuming Daryl doesn't come back) at MLB, and then draft an athletic LB such like Seattle's KJ Wright or Bruce Irvin to play Weakside LB for us and put Courtney / McClellan at Strongside LB, thus the defense would look like:

*Draft Pick* Arthur Brown Courtney Upshaw
Terrell Suggs Chris Canty Haloti Ngata Elvis Dumervil

Or of course we could swap out Upshaw for Jameel McClain and still keep Upshaw in his limited role and NEVER take the training wheels off of him, which then means we essentially wasted a 2nd round pick on a role player.

And last but not least, the third option I think is just drafting a FS with SPEED and BALL SKILLS. Think Earl Thomas. This way we can move Matt Elam down to his more natural SS position and hope that he can find the football, because right now his knack for finding the football and generally making plays is just abysmal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Not that it would be much deviation from receiver, but if we do decide to let Dickson walk after this season, I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins in a bad way - er that probably didn't come off right. But regardless, this guy is going to be a beast at the next level. He really under-produced in the Huskies offense, but I expect him to put up some electric numbers at the combine. He's a great receiver as well as blocker who can serve as another outlet for Joe or go vertical on smaller linebackers and safeties. I think he has all the tools necessary to be the best tight end in this draft class, expect the numbers. And can you guys imagine running two tight end sets with him and Pitta (assuming he gets re-signed) with Torrey and either of Jacoby or Deonte Thompson on the outside? Shocked

I really really really really hope the Ravens get ASJ and then in the next couple of years get Bishop Sankey as well. Dude was a straight animal in high school here in Spokane and he's beasting it up in college and I love it, even though I'm not a UW fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before but it would be hard for the Ravens to take a position I wouldn't like in the first round this year. There are quite a few areas of need with what looks like a pretty good draft at multiple positions. Here's a list off the top of my head:

CB: With Graham being a free agent they're going to need a new third CB unless he's re-signed, which I doubt. I'm not comfortable with Chykie Brown or Asa Jackson taking over that big of a role. But looking past that Jimmy Smith is a free agent after next season too. With the way he's playing now I'd expect him to get a fairly good deal on the open market. I doubt Baltimore would keep two CBs with big deals and I'm expecting one of Smith or Webb not to be with the team for the 2015-16 season. They'll need another good CB and it seems to take a lot of guys a little bit of time to acclimate to the NFL. A prospect that I'm of course going to suggest is Darqueze Dennard. He's probably not going to test out as well athletically as other players so there's a better chance of him being there later in the first round. This guy is a beast.

DE: I don't think Baltimore has a replacement for Jones at DE on the roster. Canty is also getting older and hasn't been the picture of health over his career. Like I said in the other thread I want another big rangy DE that can make plays. Enter RaShede Hageman. I really like what I've seen of him as a prospect. The big production numbers aren't there but I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't a first round pick.

I think FS, RT, C, TE, and ILB (sort of) are needs too but I'm not expecting the team to address them in the first round.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think we can pick up an option on Jimmy's deal for something like the average of the top-20 players at the position or something like that. Trying to find the specifics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like somebody like Ebron, Amaro, ASJ at TE, Mosley at ILB, or Clinton-Dix at FS. Potentially a CB too, but I haven't studied up on them much.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Well, I think we can pick up an option on Jimmy's deal for something like the average of the top-20 players at the position or something like that. Trying to find the specifics.

Ah, the Ravens do have an option for the fifth year of his deal. I don't know what it entails but I'm pretty confident they'll exercise it. I missed it because it wasn't noted in his Rotoworld profile.

That doesn't change my opinion about them possibly going for a CB in the first round though. Like I said before I'm not comfortable with Brown or Jackson taking over the 3rd CB spot which is pretty close to a starter these days. Mostly depends on the opposing offense. Webb's health is probably something that's going to be a concern for the rest of his career.

Oh yes, I'm going to be pushing this Darqueze Dennard thing hard.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we can trade our 1st rounder for the next 3 years, go get Megatron and then become the dynasty we were destined to be? I'm wit it. Laughing

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
Or we can trade our 1st rounder for the next 3 years, go get Megatron and then become the dynasty we were destined to be? I'm wit it. Laughing

I'm down. We don't usually pick in the 1st round anyways so why not?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

I'm down. We don't usually pick in the 1st round anyways so why not?!

I mean, they would all be pick #32 Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:

Nah, he's older and who knows how physical he'll be. Wink

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: