Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens vs Patriots Flexed Out of Primetime (12/22)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Ravens vs Patriots Flexed Out of Primetime (12/22) Reply with quote

LINK

Quote:
The rematch of the past two AFC championship games will no longer take place in primetime.

The league announced today that the Dec. 22 game between the Ravens (7-6) and New England Patriots (10-3) at M&T Bank Stadium, which was originally scheduled to kick off at 8:25 p.m. and be broadcast on NBC, was moved to a 4:25 p.m. game and will now be shown on CBS.

In its place, the league has decided to flex the game featuring the Chicago Bears (7-6) at the Philadelphia Eagles (8-5), into the Sunday night NBC matchup.

Guess they wanted a closer game, tbh. Cool

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids

Last edited by RavensTillIDie on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
nevermore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the NFL wants no part of a possible snowball incident on national television. Thanks a lot, guys.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, WHAT? Wow, of course they're going to flex an NFC Least team to primetime and take two AFC playoff teams out. What a freaking joke. This is embarrassing for the league.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermore wrote:
Clearly the NFL wants no part of a possible snowball incident on national television. Thanks Joe Flacco.

FIFY. Wink

Matts4313 wrote:
nevermore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Clearly the NFL wants no part of a possible snowball incident on national television. Thanks Joe Flacco.

FIFY. Wink

Yeah, him too. Thinking about it, maybe they also don't wanna see another epic comeback of him. And that against the Patriots on Sunday Night?

The media would actually have to talk about it!

StevenV32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really pisses me off. i always look forward to the games we play on sunday night, they always seem to be the most exciting. Now Brady Vs Flacco gets replaced with Foles Vs McCown? K.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight flexin' !

All good. They'll be forgiven after they flex us at the Bengals Week 17.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
Straight flexin' !

This is a good point and one aspect I did not think about; it could very well be the reason they chose to do this. I don't think teams are allowed to play in back-to-back Sunday night games, so it'd stand to reason the possibility of a division showdown between the Bengals and Ravens was more appealing to the execs at NBC than Ravens vs Patriots the week prior.

Matts4313 wrote:
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
Straight flexin' !

This is a good point and one aspect I did not think about; it could very well be the reason they chose to do this. I don't think teams are allowed to play in back-to-back Sunday night games, so it'd stand to reason the possibility of a division showdown between the Bengals and Ravens was more appealing to the execs at NBC than Ravens vs Patriots the week prior.

I thought of this and it could be good or bad for us. I don't think this happens unless the 2 seed isn't dependent at all on NE's week 17 game, because otherwise it's possible the whole nation watches us earn a playoff spot against a team that's not trying.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
Straight flexin' !

That's still not okay with me. Takes the center stage away from us, playing in primetime AT HOME and puts us playing in primetime at the Bengals home.

This Ravens-Patriots rivalry has been pretty darn good as of late. I see no reason to flex the game for a random contest. I mean, sure there are implications there, but it's not as if it's a division battle with implications or a better matchup, or a fierce rivalry.

Ravens-Patriots should have playoff implications and is a known rivalry game. Really, it doesn't bother me much just because I like CBS's coverage better than most because they have Shannon Sharpe, but still. Kind of a WTF type thing by the league. I'd almost guarantee this isn't flexed if this battle were taking place in NE.

Like someone else mentioned in NFL General, the league seems to prefer it when the underdog is playing on the road in these games for some reason. It's annoying. I wonder if this game is flexed if Gronkowksi doesn't go down for the season. Maybe they think that gives advantage Baltimore and doesn't want their precious Patriots exposed to a stronger chance of defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long as we get to the playoffs they can flex our entire schedule! I'm a little upset because I love Sunday Night Football. And as it was stated, we are at home, but I'm not trippin'. Just control what we can control.

Right Johnny Harbaugh? Laughing

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's annoying. When I lived out-of-market and a primetime game was a lifeline from watching a crappy Internet stream this was a bigger deal to me but it's still just a little irksome - that the defending Super Bowl champions got one home primetime game all year long just doesn't feel right.

It's not like Ravens/Pats wasn't going to get good ratings though, and with how many clunker of primetime games we've seen so far this year you'd think that Ravens/Pats with the the recent history between the two and the fact that combined they have seen 20 of their 26 games this year end up decided by 1 score, it would have been a decently safe bet for a solid primetime game.

It is what it is, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, we already don't get jack for home primetime games, this takes away another home primetime game from the Ravens.

I just don't understand the justification behind flexing this game at all, and I don't want to start throwing out guesses either. This just makes no sense at all. Two playoff teams who met in the AFCCG last year and have the chance to do that again this year aren't good enough to play in primetime?

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
nevermore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been reading this may be the NFL doing CBS a favour after they lost the Broncos/Chiefs game earlier this season - a game they actually had protected.

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's speculation out there that in exchange for getting the Broncos/Chiefs flexed from CBS on to Sunday night last month, CBS may have been given back the Ravens/Pats game in return. CBS is allowed to protect one game from being flexed every week and had used that to try to keep the Chiefs/Broncos game, so it would make sense that special circumstances went into moving that game into primetime. Ravens/Pats will be the featured 4:25 game that everyone not in the Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Oakland, or San Diego will see so it should be a big draw for them.

EDIT: Yeah, what nevermore just said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: