Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Shiny New Off Season - Rod promoted, Linehan added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
So, word is we're looking to move Lee to WLB and Carter to the SAM. If so, then we have an opening at MLB.

That's...interesting. I guess they figure by moving to the Will spot Lee will take less of a beating in hopes of staying on the field for a full season?

If we do go this route...I wonder if they'll give Holloman a shot at the Mike? Broaddus did mention the staff feels he's a better fit at either SLB or MLB...

At this point, this all seems to just be fan speculation. But, Lee would have more opportunities to make plays at the WLB spot, like Derrick Brooks used to do in Tampa. I have my doubts about Carter at the SLB spot. Holloman at MLB is interesting, but we'd still need to draft a MLB with good cover skills to compete with him.

Lee has a better inside tackling ability and a nose for the ball. Brooks did not. Brooks was a good rusher, decent in zone, with a great burst but not very good all around speed. Lee is the opposite. You don't move that to the will spot in this system, you leave that in the middle where he can do it all for you.

This move would be a huge mistake and take Lee away from what he does best.

So let me get this right...you are saying Lee has better speed, is a better tackler and has a better nose for the ball than Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
So, word is we're looking to move Lee to WLB and Carter to the SAM. If so, then we have an opening at MLB.

That's...interesting. I guess they figure by moving to the Will spot Lee will take less of a beating in hopes of staying on the field for a full season?

If we do go this route...I wonder if they'll give Holloman a shot at the Mike? Broaddus did mention the staff feels he's a better fit at either SLB or MLB...

At this point, this all seems to just be fan speculation. But, Lee would have more opportunities to make plays at the WLB spot, like Derrick Brooks used to do in Tampa. I have my doubts about Carter at the SLB spot. Holloman at MLB is interesting, but we'd still need to draft a MLB with good cover skills to compete with him.

Lee has a better inside tackling ability and a nose for the ball. Brooks did not. Brooks was a good rusher, decent in zone, with a great burst but not very good all around speed. Lee is the opposite. You don't move that to the will spot in this system, you leave that in the middle where he can do it all for you.

So let me get this right...you are saying Lee has better speed, is a better tackler and has a better nose for the ball than Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks.

Wow. I have officially seen it all. Stephen Hawking could put on a cowboys uniform and some people would say that better than another team's HOFer. He's better at reading defenses than Peyton Manning. Or, he's a better decision maker than Brett Favre.

matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird that Rotoworld says something like that in their mock but has no news of that sort on Lee or Carter's pages

That said, I LOVE Mosley, and I think Dallas' LB play last year was about as bad as their DL play, so no objections here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Wow. I have officially seen it all. Stephen Hawking could put on a cowboys uniform and some people would say that better than another team's HOFer. He's better at reading defenses than Peyton Manning. Or, he's a better decision maker than Brett Favre.

Well, I'm pretty sure Hawking never texted pics of his junk to an overrated plastic looking intern. So, yeah, he is a better decision maker than Brett Favre. As for being better at reading defenses than Peyton, did you watch the Superbowl?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Cerbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like Mosley, the Cowboys defense needs pass rushers more than anything. Losing Ratliff and Spencer last season was a total disaster for us and we didn't have a consistently dependable replacement for either. Even Ware is coming off his worst season, so there really isn't any question about it. Best DE/DT available tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerbs wrote:
As much as I like Mosley, the Cowboys defense needs pass rushers more than anything. Losing Ratliff and Spencer last season was a total disaster for us and we didn't have a consistently dependable replacement for either. Even Ware is coming off his worst season, so there really isn't any question about it. Best DE/DT available tbh.

But locking yourself into one position is a pretty risky proposition, and attempting to overcorrect a problem in one offseason can be outright calamitous. See: giving Brandon Carr $50M and trading up for Morris Claiborne. Or look at 2010, when OL and S were widely considered Dallas' two biggest needs. Would you rather have Nate Allen and Vlad Ducasse or Dez Bryant and Sean Lee?

The DL is in a truly abominable state, and there will likely be one available worth the selection. But if the top tier guys are gone, no need to reach on one if Mosley's available and you think he's going to be an elite linebacker. Admittedly I've no idea if the FO shares this viewpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:

But locking yourself into one position is a pretty risky proposition, and attempting to overcorrect a problem in one offseason can be outright calamitous. See: giving Brandon Carr $50M and trading up for Morris Claiborne. Or look at 2010, when OL and S were widely considered Dallas' two biggest needs. Would you rather have Nate Allen and Vlad Ducasse or Dez Bryant and Sean Lee?

The DL is in a truly abominable state, and there will likely be one available worth the selection. But if the top tier guys are gone, no need to reach on one if Mosley's available and you think he's going to be an elite linebacker. Admittedly I've no idea if the FO shares this viewpoint.

I'm all for drafting best player available as opposed to drafting for need, but our defense was setting NFL records in futility last season and a lot of that had to do with the fact we had non-existent pass rush.

Of course, a lot will depend on whether or not we can free up enough cap space to strengthen the D line through free agency, but we're already in danger of losing Hatcher too because of that problem. Frankly I just don't think we're privileged enough to draft that way when we have such a pressing need. It's the same reason a lot of Houston fans are already upset because their team is leaning towards drafting Clowney over a franchise QB. I'd LOVE to have Mosley on the Cowboys roster, but man... our D line is awful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerbs wrote:

I'm all for drafting best player available as opposed to drafting for need, but our defense was setting NFL records in futility last season and a lot of that had to do with the fact we had non-existent pass rush.

But the linebackers apart from Lee were pretty abominable as well. Maybe improved DL play would make Carter and such better, but it didn't stop Lee from playing well. Ditto to the secondary- blame the pass rush for Carr and Claiborne's struggles if you like, but how does that explain Scandrick outplaying them for much of the year?

I agree with the rather obvious notion that D-line is this defense's biggest problem, given their poor play last year, Hatcher and Spencer's impending free agency, Ware's likely release, and the startling lack of young talent. But, Mosley (and Clinton-Dix and Pryor) could do a lot for this defense if they're all they're billed to be, and, moreover, it's just a pet peeve of mine that improved DL would be a fix-all for the defense. Like improved OL was a fix-all for the offense, right? Nope.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure what this is based on, but...

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1ycqai/ranking_the_top_35_left_tackles_in_2013/

Tyron grades out as the 6th best (left) tackle last season.

^^^Deadpulse
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:

Yes.

Brooks was a rusher who was good in coverage. Blitz and cover, cover and blitz. A true Will 'backer. Great player, HoF worthy without a doubt.

Saying he was not as fast as, not as good of a tackler as, or not as ball hawking as someone else isn't at all a knock. Players do different things differently, even when they play the same position.

Which they don't. Linebacker is like saying 'west coast offense' - a vague term. The differences between a Will and a Mike are pretty big, especially from system to system.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/25/5430150/nfl-draft-history-worst-picks

This is interesting.

^^^Deadpulse
Cerbs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas has wanted a Super Bowl champion QB for a long time.

Done.

lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/25/5430150/nfl-draft-history-worst-picks

This is interesting.

"Guy with torn femur." Laughing Laughing I'd say that background is another leaked Cowboys draft board, but there's no TE's on it. And I do appreciate an article that gives a wall of text for all you literate types, and fun little infographic pictures for those of us with degrees in history.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Well, I'm pretty sure Hawking never texted pics of his junk to an overrated plastic looking intern. So, yeah, he is a better decision maker than Brett Favre. As for being better at reading defenses than Peyton, did you watch the Superbowl?

To be fair, Hawking would need someone to help him with that. Favre's personal IQ may be in the "highly functional" realm of mental retardation, but he's still capable of ordinary motor skills. Not much more than that, but still capable of ordinary motor skills.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Cerbs wrote:

Exactly. It's never the right strategy to zero in on one specific position and not look at anything else because you could be screwing yourself out of a far better player and/or lose out on a solid opportunity to trade down and still net that same player you covet. We've "dialed in" with that strategy before and it didn't work out very well. For reference, please see the 2009 draft. Not only did we dial in on specific positions (read: backups and special teams), but we focused on one player in the entire draft (Max Unger) and subsequently lost out on a different yet VERY productive OG in Andy Levitre. Do we really need to continue that type of proven failure? I'd say not. Even as leery as I am with respect to Mosley's injury history, if he's the BPA and a trade down is not a viable option, then he should be the pick, no questions asked.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 58 of 59

Jump to: