Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Shiny New Off Season - Rod promoted, Linehan added
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: 2014 Shiny New Off Season - Rod promoted, Linehan added Reply with quote

God, I hate clutter. Given this discussion is happening on several fronts - here is a nice place where everyone can discuss the Coaching Staff Next Year.

Keep Redball? If not, then who?
Keep Cally? If not, then who?
Re-sign Kiffin? Promote from within? Outside?

Who you got and why?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 5 times in total
resilient

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Red ball out 2 years ago. Have no idea for coaching. What respectable coach is out there that would be willing to coach for JJ?
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we just discussed T_O...bring in Gus Malzahn.

Other options I wouldn't mind seeing would be (for HC, not going to delve into a full staff tonight)

- David Shaw, current Stanford HC
- Darrell Bevell, current Seahawks OC
- Dave Toub, current Chiefs ST coach
- Ray Horton, current Browns DC (although this could mean a switch to a 3-4 again)
- Adam Gase, current Broncos OC
- Todd Bowles, current Cardinals DC (again, possibly a move to a 3-4)

^^^mack
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Gruden

We could do so, so much better...

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. This team is such a mess I honestly don't think it matters who comes in, the results will be the same.

Given the obvious benefit of hindsight, is it even arguable that bringing in Kiffin and this scheme was an epic mistake? I have my doubt that a healthy DL makes it a whole lot better.

I absolutely loathe the idea of another 3 yrs and out coaching staff, but there is nothing to lead me to believe this team is going anywhere. The 'process' has not equaled progress...or enough progress to warrant continuing down this path.

Candidates? Like I said, I honestly don't think it matters.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
No idea. This team is such a mess I honestly don't think it matters who comes in, the results will be the same.

Given the obvious benefit of hindsight, is it even arguable that bringing in Kiffin and this scheme was an epic mistake? I honestly doubt that a healthy DL makes it any better.

I absolutely loathe the idea of another 3 yrs and out coaching staff, but there is nothing to lead me to believe this team is going anywhere. The 'process' has not equaled progress...or enough progress to warrant continuing down this path.

the 4-3 is predicated on getting a pass rush out of the front 4. Something we have been unable to do.

as for coaching, we are finally building young talent again. I want someone who will continue to develop it and not be a yes man.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:

Given the obvious benefit of hindsight, is it even arguable that bringing in Kiffin and this scheme was an epic mistake? I have my doubt that a healthy DL makes it a whole lot better.

Dude, when did you become so pessimistic? Laughing

I've said this before, but here it goes.

I think Garrett has done a fairly decent job here during his three seasons. We're a much better team (I know, that may not be saying much) than what we were when he took over midway through the 2010 season. We have quite a few pieces to build on and still compete, but I don't think Garrett can get us over the hump, so to speak. I still think he'll end up as a good coach somewhere, or (more likely) a very good GM for some other team, but I don't think he's "the guy" to get us to a Super Bowl or win one.

So, we let him go. I think it's imperative that we hit on whoever Jerry decides to hire as the next head coach, and I think it's VERY imperative that we continue to dedicate our drafts to the trenches (this time on the DL) and continue to add quality depth.

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Dude, when did you become so pessimistic? Laughing

I've said this before, but here it goes.

I think Garrett has done a fairly decent job here during his three seasons. We're a much better team (I know, that may not be saying much) than what we were when he took over midway through the 2010 season. We have quite a few pieces to build on and still compete, but I don't think Garrett can get us over the hump, so to speak. I still think he'll end up as a good coach somewhere, or (more likely) a very good GM for some other team, but I don't think he's "the guy" to get us to a Super Bowl or win one.

So, we let him go. I think it's imperative that we hit on whoever Jerry decides to hire as the next head coach, and I think it's VERY imperative that we continue to dedicate our drafts to the trenches (this time on the DL) and continue to add quality depth.

I know, right. DCRA here I come. Sick of the one step forward, one back. 15 yrs worth mediocrity and tonight's game I think may have finally beaten me down.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Gruden

We could do so, so much better...

grudens primary flaw was not having a QB. He would have that here. I think he would fit his role, as a guy to push them to the next level while we still have a franchise QB.

who knows, maybe we can steal his bro from the bengals too.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I REALLY wanted to fire JG after last year. It was such a pivotal offseason with huge decisions (extending Romo, franchising Spencer) that will impact well beyond the 2013 season. I took a lot of crap for saying we should have hired Andy Reid last year, but I think everybody now sees that he's a damn good HC. At this point, it's really unfair to any new HC to be so limited in the direction he can take the team. The salary cap situation is a complete mess and will be for at least 2-3 years to come. And, the there are still glaring holes on the team at OL, DL, and secondary. It's a lot to ask of a new HC to deal have all these holes and not enough resources to fix them AND deal with the restructurings that will occur this offseason that will impact the cap for years to come.

That's one reason why Matts and I are in agreement on Gruden being one of the better alternatives. I have no doubt that he would get more out of this team than JG has. He's got a big enough name and reputation that both players and front office have to respect him. When he's had good QB play, he's had playoff success. He knows how to deal with troublesome owners. Gruden is definitely on the shortlist.

If we start talking coordinators, things get really murky. It's got to be a dynamic coordinator. Going back to last year, I think there were several viable candidates like Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy and Bruce Arians. There are not a lot of coordinators that I'm sold on this year. I really think we need a big personality guy as the HC who makes his presence felt with players and front office alike. Otherwise, no matter who it is... he will be perceived as a Jerry puppet. Gruden would never be mistaken for a Jerry puppet.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Feels hopeless. Embarassed

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
TVScout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan is about to be fired.........
atran35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie Smith.
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:

I'm with you WH. There are so many glaring holes on this team that it will be a continual cycle of one step up, two steps back. While another "rebuild" is undertaken, the core of the team gets older or is gone. It is very frustrating being a Cowboy fan these days. Heck, these days, how about this era? Very sad when you consider what we once were. A model of consistency and perennial playoff contender. Days long gone.

If Garrett is fired I want a successful coach from the college ranks like Shaw from Stanford. But any new coach is going to have Jerry and a nasty cap situation to deal with. What a mess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 1 of 59

Jump to: