Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft or Free Agency? Addressing our needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that Nicks can be a true #1, I think he can be an excellent #2 though. However, I don't think we need a true #1 anymore. The WR is becoming more of a comittee than a single player in recent years. Look at Seattle, 49ers, Patriots, Broncos (to an extent),

I think if we went out and added a Nicks/Decker, resigned one of Lafell/Ginn, to go along with Smitty/Olsen that we would be in super shape heading into the season next year.

Not to mention, I would imagine that we would add a draft pick as well; there's a variety of offensive play makers that would be available to us. I like TEs Amaro/Ebron and WRs Lee/Allen/Cooks available to us as well. WRs tend to slide in the 1st round, so we might be looking at potentially Watkins or Evans landing out laps too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Nicks is asking for a #1 contract, I am passing on him and not thinking twice about it. He is battling an injury every season and it has affected him mightily these past 2 seasons. Ultimately it depends on how much we can get him for but I don't want it to be a Sidney Rice situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took San Fransisco only their 2013 1st and 2013 3rd to move up to Dallas for their 2013 1st. If Watkins is on the board and that is all a team in the teens is asking to move up, I think Gettleman should take it without any hesitation. Huge fan of Watkins. I think he is the big play receiver our team is missing. Assuming we re-sign LaFell and keep Smith around with Olsen, I think we would already have enough possession guys thus not really attracting me to Evans (plus, I have my doubts about him). Watkins would be the perfect fit in our offense.

I have serious doubts we get him, though. Granted I was thought there was no way we would get Lotulelei either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
If Nicks is asking for a #1 contract, I am passing on him and not thinking twice about it. He is battling an injury every season and it has affected him mightily these past 2 seasons. Ultimately it depends on how much we can get him for but I don't want it to be a Sidney Rice situation.

Agreed. I'd assume he won't be as expensive as Decker will be. If he is then no thanks.

I'd love if Lee fell to us, but his play lately has been really good, I doubt he will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this as as good of a thread as any to put this in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXYJUC3Q64o

How do you guys feel about Odell Beckham Jr.? The only two receivers I have really looked into in-depth so far are Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans (like them both but neither won't be there at #28 although I think there is a much bigger chance of Evans falling than Watkins). According to his team page, he is 6'0 and 193lbs but he does a very good job at playing bigger than his size and going up to get the football as seen several times in the above video. He is very good at catching the ball away from his body. Fantastic YAC skills as well. Seems to do a good job at running routes and getting separation. I'm becoming a huge fan the more and more I see of him.

Unfortunately, there is one huge issue with him. His hands are very inconsistent. He has the ability to make some fantastic catches but seemingly has concentration issues at time. Will be interesting to see if teams feel he will be able to correct the issue ala Julio Jones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
It took San Fransisco only their 2013 1st and 2013 3rd to move up to Dallas for their 2013 1st. If Watkins is on the board and that is all a team in the teens is asking to move up, I think Gettleman should take it without any hesitation. Huge fan of Watkins. I think he is the big play receiver our team is missing. Assuming we re-sign LaFell and keep Smith around with Olsen, I think we would already have enough possession guys thus not really attracting me to Evans (plus, I have my doubts about him). Watkins would be the perfect fit in our offense.

I have serious doubts we get him, though. Granted I was thought there was no way we would get Lotulelei either.
Yeah I agree Watkins is my favorite WR so far in this draft. I wish we would have drafted Justin Hunter last year. He sees no playing time there

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atown703 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Yeah I agree Watkins is my favorite WR so far in this draft. I wish we would have drafted Justin Hunter last year. He sees no playing time there

Him or Da'Rick Rogers

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
faccda01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Thought this as as good of a thread as any to put this in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXYJUC3Q64o

How do you guys feel about Odell Beckham Jr.? The only two receivers I have really looked into in-depth so far are Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans (like them both but neither won't be there at #28 although I think there is a much bigger chance of Evans falling than Watkins). According to his team page, he is 6'0 and 193lbs but he does a very good job at playing bigger than his size and going up to get the football as seen several times in the above video. He is very good at catching the ball away from his body. Fantastic YAC skills as well. Seems to do a good job at running routes and getting separation. I'm becoming a huge fan the more and more I see of him.

Unfortunately, there is one huge issue with him. His hands are very inconsistent. He has the ability to make some fantastic catches but seemingly has concentration issues at time. Will be interesting to see if teams feel he will be able to correct the issue ala Julio Jones.

Don't know much about him, but I like what I saw in the videos. Watkins at this point is a pipe dream. There is talk of him going #2 to the Rams. I doubt Evans or Lee will be there either. I like Matthews and Benjamin, but there isn't even certainty they will fall either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to double dip offense with a nicks and a draft wr or te. I would also like to re-sign lafell and ginn to 1 year contracts and if we draft a wr have him take over (hopefully) for one of the latter 2. nicks should be cheap and he's still young. I am in no way expecting a full season out of him but if we get 12 ill be happy.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
i would love to double dip offense with a nicks and a draft wr or te. I would also like to re-sign lafell and ginn to 1 year contracts and if we draft a wr have him take over (hopefully) for one of the latter 2. nicks should be cheap and he's still young. I am in no way expecting a full season out of him but if we get 12 ill be happy.

Why pay Nicks anything if you don't expect him to play all year?

Thanks CK
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:

because it's the reason he will be discounted. high caliber players with no injury concerns and no red flags will not be paid what we can offer them. expectations have to be tempered. you cannot get a 16 game 1400 yd 10 td wr for the 3-4 mill a year nicks'll probably get. risk/reward. the risk is he gets injured. the reward is the possibility he becomes what he was and dominates again.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect the Panthers to be pretty quiet this offseason (again) due to the cap restraints. Some minor signings considerable to last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:

because it's the reason he will be discounted. high caliber players with no injury concerns and no red flags will not be paid what we can offer them. expectations have to be tempered. you cannot get a 16 game 1400 yd 10 td wr for the 3-4 mill a year nicks'll probably get. risk/reward. the risk is he gets injured. the reward is the possibility he becomes what he was and dominates again.

I agree. We don't have the flexibility to go after an Erik Decker this year. We need to get some talent, albeit a risk. Nicks has great ability, we can only hope he isn't as injury prone as we think he is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo18287 wrote:
I fully expect the Panthers to be pretty quiet this offseason (again) due to the cap restraints. Some minor signings considerable to last year.

This is how I feel too. We'll see some new guys come, some guys go while Gettleman fixes our cap issues that Hurney left us with. I think once he gets past signing Cam long term, we're good for a while.

The biggest part of this offseason will be finding contributors in the draft. Last year, Gettleman did an excellent job in finding guys that could go day one with Star, SHort, and Klein. If we can come away with 3-4 day one contributors; we're in really good shape.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Dingo18287 wrote:

This is how I feel too. We'll see some new guys come, some guys go while Gettleman fixes our cap issues that Hurney left us with. I think once he gets past signing Cam long term, we're good for a while.

The biggest part of this offseason will be finding contributors in the draft. Last year, Gettleman did an excellent job in finding guys that could go day one with Star, SHort, and Klein. If we can come away with 3-4 day one contributors; we're in really good shape.

I think if we could sign one bigger FA, it would be idea. I'm thinking a 6-7 out of 10 type guy. Nicks really fits the bill for me, as I don't think he will be expensive and has high upside, even though there is a risk associated with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: