Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft or Free Agency? Addressing our needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
billybob99


Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 130
Location: Greenville, NC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I doubt Benjamin will be there even in the second rd....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BringinDaPain


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, what do you think Decker would cost? What kind of contract?
_________________

2011 OROY Winner - Cam Newton
2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2013 DPOY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2014 OROY Watch - Kelvin Benjamin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19361
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shaX 07


Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.


Oh em gee I came into this thread to talk about Richard Marshall! He just got beat for a Broncos TD Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighPointNCKid


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 2195
Location: Hampton, VA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.


I was NOT happy with either of those picks, nor the Munnerlyn or Edwards or Everett Brown picks, that was straight buffoonery!
_________________
You're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericr0319


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1083
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringinDaPain wrote:
Guys, what do you think Decker would cost? What kind of contract?
this is a guy ive been preaching for awhile. we can address needs in FA that arent the place for draft.
I would love to resign Gross RT sign Ryan Clady and Decker. Than 1st round go CB or WR, and 2nd RB Ka'Deem Carey, this is after we cut both Dwill and Stewart. they are both absolutely worthless. there isnt a RB that plays for an NFL team that cannot do what they do. They both MUST be gone.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9263
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who are saying we should cut Stewart aren't considering the cap ramifications of doing so. Even with a June 1st cut, by which you can distribute the cap penalty from the dead money over 2 years instead of 1, I think he would cost too much to cut. Might as well keep him and hope he can stay healthy. If he does, he can still contribute.

DeAngelo's contract also makes it tough to justify cutting him, but it would be less of a gut check to get rid of him. He may not be as productive as Stewart on a per play basis, but at least he stays healthy and on the field.

Hurney really handicapped us with both of these contracts. Hindsight is 20-20, so I wouldn't argue that signing either DeAngelo or Stewart to a large extension at the time we did was a mistake. Sure, RB is a position that's pretty easy to fill, but they were both productive. But to have decided to keep both for the amount of money in those contracts was ridiculous.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21262
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringinDaPain wrote:
Guys, what do you think Decker would cost? What kind of contract?


He's not a #1 guy, he's probably a better version of Brandon Lafell when you look at him. He'll command somewhere between 6-7M per year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.


I was NOT happy with either of those picks, nor the Munnerlyn or Edwards or Everett Brown picks, that was straight buffoonery!


You weren't happy with Munnerlyn? He was a 7th. Do you mean Marshall?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19361
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
HighPointNCKid wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.
I was NOT happy with either of those picks, nor the Munnerlyn or Edwards or Everett Brown picks, that was straight buffoonery!
You weren't happy with Munnerlyn? He was a 7th. Do you mean Marshall?
Must mean Marshall. It takes a rare breed to get incensed about a 7th round DB.

But I still can't imagine why people would have been raging about Marshall. Eventually he grew out of disfavor here because of contract demands, but he was a solid DB while here (as good or better than anyone we currently have on roster, while he was here anyway). And he's still in the league after 8 years, so you can't really argue that it wasn't a solid pick.

And I'm also not sure why people would be livid at us taking Jarrett in the second. He had loads of talent and a good college career. There were absolutely concerns about him, but that's why he fell into the second round. That tends to be where you start taking guys who are a little riskier, but have the talent to justify it. He's simply one of the riskier picks that didn't pan out.

I mean hell, most people hated the Charles Johnson pick when we made it. He was too raw, he probably wasn't going to amount to anything, yada yada yada.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
HighPointNCKid wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Ryan Kalil was a second round pick in the 2007 draft. The only second round pick I think he made that panned out, ha. Hurney always seemed to draft studs or duds.
Deshaun Foster and Richard Marshall both played well for the Panthers.

The jury is still out on Amini Silatolu.

Keary Colbert wasn't bad, just wasn't particularly good either (outside of one year). Bruce Nelson didn't pan out mainly due to injuries.

And while he picked guys like Eric Shelton and Dwayne Jarrett, I'm pretty sure just about everybody on these boards at the time when those picks were made was rather excited about each of them. Pretty much everybody on the planet thought Jarrett was a great pick where we got him.

The only really "bad" picks in the second round were Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown (who was really a first rounder Evil or Very Mad ), and Armanti Edwards (technically a third rounder). Well, and probably Sherrod Martin.
I was NOT happy with either of those picks, nor the Munnerlyn or Edwards or Everett Brown picks, that was straight buffoonery!
You weren't happy with Munnerlyn? He was a 7th. Do you mean Marshall?
Must mean Marshall. It takes a rare breed to get incensed about a 7th round DB.

But I still can't imagine why people would have been raging about Marshall. Eventually he grew out of disfavor here because of contract demands, but he was a solid DB while here (as good or better than anyone we currently have on roster, while he was here anyway). And he's still in the league after 8 years, so you can't really argue that it wasn't a solid pick.

And I'm also not sure why people would be livid at us taking Jarrett in the second. He had loads of talent and a good college career. There were absolutely concerns about him, but that's why he fell into the second round. That tends to be where you start taking guys who are a little riskier, but have the talent to justify it. He's simply one of the riskier picks that didn't pan out.

I mean hell, most people hated the Charles Johnson pick when we made it. He was too raw, he probably wasn't going to amount to anything, yada yada yada.


Agree on all counts. Marshall was pretty good for us, definitely worth the second. He got greedy and has regressed since, but you can't be upset with his production.

I was absolutely thrilled with the Jarrett pick, he was at one point a top 10 prospect. Obviously with hindsight it didn't turn out well, but at the time I don't think anyone was actually upset with the pick.

Good point about CJ. I didn't know much about him when he was drafted, so I reserved judgement, but I know some people were not a fan of the pick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 25201
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker has too many drops, and is not a #1 caliber WR.
Hakeem Nicks looks like he is going to be cheaper this offseason than we expected. I would love a double dip of Nicks and Benjamin with Smitty in the slot. I know we need help in the secondary, but it's time to help Cam out.
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19361
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Decker has too many drops, and is not a #1 caliber WR.
Hakeem Nicks looks like he is going to be cheaper this offseason than we expected. I would love a double dip of Nicks and Benjamin with Smitty in the slot. I know we need help in the secondary, but it's time to help Cam out.
I would definitely take Nicks over Decker, especially if we didn't have to break the bank for Nicks.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Decker has too many drops, and is not a #1 caliber WR.
Hakeem Nicks looks like he is going to be cheaper this offseason than we expected. I would love a double dip of Nicks and Benjamin with Smitty in the slot. I know we need help in the secondary, but it's time to help Cam out.


I too am on the Nicks bandwagon. He probably has more interest in Carolina than Decker does anyway.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RabidPanther89


Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 353
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offensively we really need a new RT and a future #1 WR.

I think OG will pan itself out. Between Wharton, Amini, Kugbila, Scott and Chandler I think we will have an answer there.


I'm not convinced that Nicks can be the #1 WR we need. If we do sign him I hope we at least draft another TE to go with him. LaFell is auditioning for next season in the next 3 games in my opinion. I like him but if he keeps dropping the easy move the chain passes he needs to be gone.

I really want to bring back Ted Ginn too.

Smitty, Ginn, Nicks, Olsen, and a new TE would be a great set of weapons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group