Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft or Free Agency? Addressing our needs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Draft or Free Agency? Addressing our needs Reply with quote

We have had a lot of talk about what we need. We can all agree that in no particullar order, we need the following:

WR
OL
DB

We should have a decent amount of money to spend in FA this year, as opposed to last year. However I think that we can really only afford one mid to big level name. What position to we go with in FA?

I'd say either WR or OL should be addressed in FA. If we can do that, we spend our first round pick on the other, and the next pick or two on DB. I think there is more FA depth at OL. However if we could grab a guy like Decker I would be happy with that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now it all depends of what juniors decide to come out in the draft and the amount of depth. i think it is key we resign gross to a 2/3 year deal and he should give us a home town discount. i would cut d will in a heart beat and blackburn. those are no brainers.

i dont know who the list of FA are but, i would pay Ryan Clady what he wants or the 2nd best OT what he wants. Have FA LT, LG (Silitouli?), Kahlil, Chandler( who i like, but id also draft a G in the 3rd/4th), Gross at RT is a pretty good Oline.

I would also take a CB in the 1st or 2nd round.

1st round i go WR. Either Matthews from Vandy or if Kelvin Benjamin comes out from FSU take him. Idk if you have watched him this year, but I go to law school at FSU and i watch every game. He is a monster, wait till you see im in the BCS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a WR and another TE. A WR for the future and I don't think there is one in FA with the kind of talent we need.

I'm not that worried about the o-line. We've had an unusual amount of injuries there. We will have a lot of guys coming back. I would love for us to make an upgrade but not on the expense of missing out on a play maker.

DWill is probably gone and Stewart's career may very well be over. I expect a compliment to Tolbert in the offseason too.
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With news that CJ2k is going to most likely be released, I wouldn't mind him for the right price, if Williams is not coming back. He would compliment Tolbert very well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I had been very quick to dismiss our need for a top tier secondary player, but after this game it's apparent we need some help, doesn't matter if it's safety, CB, or what...we just need help there. The real test will be how we come out the next time we play the Saints in a few weeks.

WR is still at the top of my list. We need playmakers for Cam to help our offense when we get down like we did last night. WR, TE, doesn't matter as long as they can make plays.

OL is a need due to how banged up our line has been, but I feel that we have played pretty well over the course of the season. If it's there for the taking, I'd like to pick up Gross' replacement. I think that pick alone fixes the OL for the next season. Let Gross play LT, new guy play RT, move Bell to RG, and let Silatolu play LG; of course Kalil at C. However, I'm not opposed to bringing in a FA to take care of this for us. Jared Veldheer is a guy that I think can take the reigns at LT for us while we draft a RT in the draft.

Overall, we really just have to go BPA through this draft and try to focus on these posistions. I feel we would really benefit from trading back and picking up another 2nd and 3rd. Most of the talent that will be available at the end of the first, will has the ability to be at the end of the 2nd as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabidPanther89 wrote:
We need a WR and another TE. A WR for the future and I don't think there is one in FA with the kind of talent we need.

I'm not that worried about the o-line. We've had an unusual amount of injuries there. We will have a lot of guys coming back. I would love for us to make an upgrade but not on the expense of missing out on a play maker.

DWill is probably gone and Stewart's career may very well be over. I expect a compliment to Tolbert in the offseason too.

We sit and wait on that. My plan would be to keep DWill at least one more year, get rid of Stewart(simply can't stay healthy), then draft a RB in the 2015 draft. This class will be VERY deep, few SEC names I like.

Mike Davis(Junior)
Todd Gurley(Junior)
Jeremy Hill(Junior)
TJ Yeldon(Junior)
Tre Mason(Senior, if stays)
Henry Josey (Senior, if stays)
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. WR
2. CB
3. OL

We've seen how effective our D can be, even with the secondary we have. We need to improve the back end, but it's behind WR for me. We need a clear #1, and maybe even #2, with Smitty in the slot.
For those down on Olsen, let's relax. He is not a YPA player, but he is a top 10 TE.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, still think Olsen is a baller.

I'd amend WR to Receiving Threat. I'd be good with them getting a top flight receiving TE, too. WR would be nice, but if a comparable one isn't available at our pick, I'm not going to sneeze at another TE. I still think the two TE sets like we ran with Shockey Newton's first year are money for Newton.

DB and OL help are musts. We are set to get some guards back next year, so that will make a difference. We need a tackle, though.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Fly392009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Yep, still think Olsen is a baller.

I'd amend WR to Receiving Threat. I'd be good with them getting a top flight receiving TE, too. WR would be nice, but if a comparable one isn't available at our pick, I'm not going to sneeze at another TE. I still think the two TE sets like we ran with Shockey Newton's first year are money for Newton.

DB and OL help are musts. We are set to get some guards back next year, so that will make a difference. We need a tackle, though.

This. I like the options at the TE position as adding another possible weapon for Cam more than the WRs available.

Also agree with the rest of your post.
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we really need to solidfy our DB position. We have played well overall as a defense, but we have shown that we cannot handle the top flight QBs (Brees/Brady).

In the playoffs, all we will face is top flight QBs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know where to put this so I guess this is as good a place as any... Man, I wish the Panthers could have drafted Alshon Jeffery...
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
Don't know where to put this so I guess this is as good a place as any... Man, I wish the Panthers could have drafted Alshon Jeffery...
Yup. Or Keenan Allen this year.

But, we've had some good drafts the last couple years, so I can't really complain all that much.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

But, we've had some good drafts the last couple years, so I can't really complain all that much.

If Star and Short end up being a long time 1-2 punch for us at DT, it was completely worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

If Star and Short end up being a long time 1-2 punch for us at DT, it was completely worth it.

Agreed. Our hole at DT was way more pressing than WR. However I believe a lot of us on this board were interested in Jeffery with our 2nd. Was he availabe for that pick? Did we have a 2nd?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

No doubt. We needed loads of help up front on defense and we at least appear to have gotten that taken care of at this point. Definitely worth it.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: