You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting CB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will the Vikings fill the starting CB position in 2014?
Draft the starter
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Sign a free agent
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Promote from within: (Robinson, Prater)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Give Cook another chance to not spoil the broth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: 2014 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting CB Reply with quote

The Vikings will certainly have some holes to fill on their team next year regardless of who the coach may be.

One of those positions is the starting cornerback opposite Xavier Rhodes, as it is anticipated that the incumbent starter, Chris Cook, will be a free agent and not retained.

Potential Free Agent CBs include: Aqib Talib (NE), Brent Grimes (Mia), Tim Jennings (Chi), Josh Wilson (Wash), Corey Graham (Balt), Tracy Porter (Oak)

Thx to Lil Uno!

Last edited by disaacs on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft, Draft, Draft.

Big free agent corner signings have a way of not really panning out. We need an outside corner to play opposite of Rhodes. I like Blanton in the slot.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sign a veteran to play the slot. This doesn't have to be an expensive signing.

I would also draft a rookie early to compete with Josh Robinson at RCB.

the slot guy could start at RCB if the rookie isn't ready or Robinson doesn't improve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft someone for the slot.....move Robinson to the outside, draft another CB......if they draft 8th, the BPA might be a CB.....I'd do that.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Draft someone for the slot.....move Robinson to the outside, draft another CB......if they draft 8th, the BPA might be a CB.....I'd do that.

Slot can be a challenging position for a young guy to be thrown into. The position relies more on reading routes and having a good feel. We are seeing Robinson struggle in this area. That is where the benefit of a veteran slot guy could come into play.

I don't think Blanton is the answer at slot either. He got burned against Jackson pretty badly, I'm not sure he has the speed and quickness to be a top 3 cb on the depth chart. I see him as a potential 4th cb and 4th safety.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

Slot can be a challenging position for a young guy to be thrown into. The position relies more on reading routes and having a good feel. We are seeing Robinson struggle in this area. That is where the benefit of a veteran slot guy could come into play.

I don't think Blanton is the answer at slot either. He got burned against Jackson pretty badly, I'm not sure he has the speed and quickness to be a top 3 cb on the depth chart. I see him as a potential 4th cb and 4th safety.

If you want someone that can shut down Desean Jackson, you are likely to be disappointed with whomever they get.......not that I think Blanton is the LT answer, but that's a dang high bar......
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these polls, it looks like the Vikings have to draft 3 or 4 starters this year . . . QB, CB, LB and OG and NT Laughing

CB is obviously a concern, and I suspect most of us are on the same page that Cook needs to go. Jefferson's gone. Robinson's hurt, but offers the most promise to be promoted from within . . . just don't play him at the slot.

Blanton, Sherels, and Prater are proving to be pretty good depth players.

So, do I think the Vikes need to draft a CB -- yes, but in which round? I personnally hope they address it in the 4th/5th round or later.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we sign someone, I'd want it to be a short-term deal.

I personally think outside CB is an important position that needs to be upgraded through the draft, not through patchwork free agent signings.

Can someone be promoted? Sure, but I'm not sure I'd count on any of the guys on the roster for 16 games year in and year out.

I'd address CB high in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

If you want someone that can shut down Desean Jackson, you are likely to be disappointed with whomever they get.......not that I think Blanton is the LT answer, but that's a dang high bar......

Is there not an in between here. Of course Jackson will get his but that doesn't mean he should abuse Blanton. Philly was obviously picking on him, I see Blanton as a dime cb at best. It's nice to see him getting reps though but it might be a case of another young and inexperienced player having a hard time in the slot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not realistic to add 2 CBs, a highly-drafted rookie and a FA, in the same offseason where we have 5-6 other holes to fill.

They drafted CB and S in the first rounds in the last 2 drafts. Smith and Rhodes are great, but I don't think it's realistic to spend yet another first rounder in that area given that the team has bigger needs (QB, DT, LB to start).

I'd rather see them sign a veteran CB who can play the slot. If somehow Verner or Thurmond hits the market, it would be worth throwing money at a high-talent guy who's only 25-26. Otherwise, a mid-priced older guy (Tim Jennings is making $4M this year in Chicago) would be fine.

Agree that there's no point bringing back Cook, he just looks worse and worse.

Josh Robinson is still too young and promising to abandon hope of improvement (which is what you're doing if you draft CB in the 1st round and also bring in a slot CB in FA, he'll never see the field except for injuries). I think he's worth giving a chance as the #3 playing outside in nickel.

They should still draft a rookie CB in the mid rounds. Depth chart could be Rhodes/TJennings/Robinson/Sherels/rookie, plus Blanton at backup NCB.

The FA contract can be 2 years. If Robinson develops he's the starter at RCB in 2015. If not, CB is the #1 priority in the draft next year, but not yet.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Robinson needs to be the #4 CB. I think Prater has a shot at being the #5 and Sherels coming in as the reserve/PR (unless we find a better player to fill his spot, all though he is a solid PR)

So that leaves #2 and #3, with Rhodes filling in the #1 spot (and hopefully staying healthy enough to do so). I can't see Chris Cook coming back.

I'd hope we move Robert Blanton to slot CB. He seems to do pretty well there, and with giving time, could really develop into a strong #3.

So #2 I'd hope that if we don't see anyone worthwhile in the draft, we pursue this hard in FA.

If I had to guess, Tim Jennings would be a nice fit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
It's probably not realistic to add 2 CBs, a highly-drafted rookie and a FA, in the same offseason where we have 5-6 other holes to fill.

You could argue that if MN had a much more talented secondary, this team would have several more wins.

Signing a cheap veteran and spending an early pick on a CB could be a realistic scenario.

This team will surely be big spenders on the free agent market if a new head coach comes to town, especially if they are switching schemes. I could see 2-3 players being added from free agency who could be starters or part time contributors. If MN drafts wells, they should be able to land 3 immediate impact players with its first three picks. That would be 5-6 players right there that would be expected to play immediately.

If the team drafts a backup QB in the first three rounds, certainly, that could hinder filling other starting needs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Krauser wrote:

You could argue that if MN had a much more talented secondary, this team would have several more wins.

Signing a cheap veteran and spending an early pick on a CB could be a realistic scenario.

This team will surely be big spenders on the free agent market if a new head coach comes to town, especially if they are switching schemes. I could see 2-3 players being added from free agency who could be starters or part time contributors. If MN drafts wells, they should be able to land 3 immediate impact players with its first three picks. That would be 5-6 players right there that would be expected to play immediately.

If the team drafts a backup QB in the first three rounds, certainly, that could hinder filling other starting needs.

I think the secondary isn't that short of talent, so much as badly coached and organized.

They need a better slot CB, someone who plays outside in base and slot in nickel. That should be easy enough to find in FA, Tim Jennings for example. Rhodes/Jennings/Robinson (major FA signing 2014, 1st round pick 2013, 3rd round pick 2012) would already be a 3 deep quality investment at CB that we're lacking at any other position on defense, even without drafting another first rounder.

The secondary would be more improved by an upgrade at safety than by anything else at this point. And the pass defense would be better upgraded at SLB or pass rushing DT.

Robinson is going to need to play if we're going to give him a chance to develop (if they think he's a bust already, fair enough, but I'd give him another chance on the outside).

Meanwhile, they also need another 1-2 top-level playmakers in the front 7, an improvement at safety opposite Smith, and a decent young QB (who'll have to be drafted in the first 3 rounds to be worth taking at all).

Of course if BPA is clearly CB (Dennard I guess?)... there's no arguing with BPA.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: