Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanitizer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to this draft and with most drafts, I'm really hoping we can move down from the first. With the talent available, we might have that option more this year than others, depending on if a team falls in love with someone. A Roby, Hageman, Ealy, Benjamin, Mosely, Shazier etc and honestly the slew of QB's which I'm predicting to drop. The problem is the amount of talent so moving up may not be as enticing.

Getting multiple day 2 picks, and moving down would allow up to eat up some of the talent in the top 60.

IF we can move back, and grab a Lawrence/Attaochu/Van Noy and McGill/Verrett/Roberson/Gaines while having our 3rd to do what we want with, I would be ecstatic.

Recently I've been looking at the possibility of going WR in round 1, to help with our possession offense, and give Phil more weapons at this point of his career. Cooks is a guy who intrigues me if thats the case. I don't really know how I feel about that, as a guy like Abbredaris, Norwood and Campanaro (a zone eater) are guys I really like a little later in the draft.

This should be a fun draft, as they all are, but with the projected talent swirling around this draft its got me extremely excited. This delay/push back to draft date is driving me mad!
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
In regards to this draft and with most drafts, I'm really hoping we can move down from the first. With the talent available, we might have that option more this year than others, depending on if a team falls in love with someone. A Roby, Hageman, Ealy, Benjamin, Mosely, Shazier etc and honestly the slew of QB's which I'm predicting to drop. The problem is the amount of talent so moving up may not be as enticing.

Getting multiple day 2 picks, and moving down would allow up to eat up some of the talent in the top 60.

IF we can move back, and grab a Lawrence/Attaochu/Van Noy and McGill/Verrett/Roberson/Gaines while having our 3rd to do what we want with, I would be ecstatic.

Recently I've been looking at the possibility of going WR in round 1, to help with our possession offense, and give Phil more weapons at this point of his career. Cooks is a guy who intrigues me if thats the case. I don't really know how I feel about that, as a guy like Abbredaris, Norwood and Campanaro (a zone eater) are guys I really like a little later in the draft.

This should be a fun draft, as they all are, but with the projected talent swirling around this draft its got me extremely excited. This delay/push back to draft date is driving me mad!

I don't want anything to do with McGill and I don't think Roberson fits our scheme at all.

I also don't think Van Noy is a good enough pass rusher, but it seems like our FO is enamored with him.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
WorldChampsHawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, what are the Chargers needs in the 1st round?
Example The 49ers #30 overall needs is WR/CB. will be shocked if it isnt.

any details would help like raning of needs. trying to make myself a draft guide
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
sanitizer wrote:

I don't want anything to do with McGill and I don't think Roberson fits our scheme at all.

I also don't think Van Noy is a good enough pass rusher, but it seems like our FO is enamored with him.

I think Van Noy can be a good enough pass rusher in a 3-4 - I just haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that Pagano has the scruples to work him effectively into the scheme. If Tennessee goes against what many project (i.e. taking a 1st round OLB - and, say, draft a 1st round QB), I don't expect Van Noy to get past Ray Horton in Rd. 2 - and that's assuming he makes it past Rob Ryan and the Saints immediately after us. As a zone-blitzing OLB or psycho package LB who can move all across the formation he's a very good fit.

Roberson can fit our scheme, but it's probably more as a safety than a boundary corner unless we actually do intend to press more (and I'll believe that when I actually see it happen on the field and not a second sooner). I'm still not convinced there's not a major disconnect between our front office and our secondary coaches - because we now appear to be getting back into the old habit we were in with Cason, Jammer, and Cro of trying to fit press-man corners into off-man zone-heavy assignments.

I'll be honest, I won't be shocked if we see a draft that is just plain heavy BPA early on. We ended up with a winning record and a playoff berth and win in the first TT/McCoy season - they're going to know that buys them a lot of good faith with regard to job security, with an owner who already has an established trend of giving plenty of slack in that department. We've also got an upcoming season again a brutal schedule and with the Broncos making it pretty damn clear they're going all-in to cash in on Peyton's final year(s). Meanwhile, we've got an extraordinarily deep draft class in terms of talent and a team that could do well with an injection of good young talent.

This is the sort of draft where if value is emphasized over need, you can set the team up to be concentrated with a good deal of high-end young talent across the board for years to come (see Seattle and San Fran) that might not compete in 2014 (not as competitive as the 2013 squad was), but is positioned extremely well for 2015-2020 to be a legitimate force in a conference where the perennial powerhouses are aging quickly.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ TT's presser kind of intimated as much that this might be the approach.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
^^^ TT's presser kind of intimated as much that this might be the approach.

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking. Basically i think we end up taking the best player on our board at WR, OLB, CB, SS, OG, and maybe TE too for at least the earlier rounds. I love his classification of needs. He basically said that they dont rank needs, there's areas we think are a strength, and there's areas that we can add guys at. I always think of the scale of grading girls for this kind of thing, we're not ranking the girls from 1-10, we're grading them a 1 or a 0, there's no complicating it splitting that 1 into multiple categories.

Thats how you have to do it to be successful honestly, that allows you to select from a much larger talent pool, and get the player that helps you best.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree entirely with the assessment this team won't be more competitive the. The 2013 squad. Matthews in a contract year and Rivers finally having a WR that can be a #1. If our defense isn't a complete joke this is a playoff contending team and an improvement over the 2013 squad.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I disagree entirely with the assessment this team won't be more competitive the. The 2013 squad. Matthews in a contract year and Rivers finally having a WR that can be a #1. If our defense isn't a complete joke this is a playoff contending team and an improvement over the 2013 squad.

I really think having Brown come aboard (even though I think he got too much $) will help. There was a distinct drop in our run game when Mathews was hurt since Woodhead is basically just a receiver and Ronnie Brown is just old. Having D.Brown back there should keep Mathews fresher and hopefully healthier down the stretch.

We have GOT to get better on D though. I see a lot of people putting CB in our mock drafts but I just don't think we'll go that way early with Williams coming back from injury. Pass rush has been a need for as long as I can remember, then we also need some beef up front who can plug running lanes. People always talk about how bad our corners were but I was more annoyed with our front 7 not getting pressure or letting RBs pound us down.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the following article on Brandin Cooks. Wow! What an intelligent, dedicated, amazing young MAN! Would love him to somehow end up on the Chargers...

http://grantland.com/features/brandin-cooks-nfl-draft-oregon-state-wide-receiver/
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd screenwriter wrote:
Just saw the following article on Brandin Cooks. Wow! What an intelligent, dedicated, amazing young MAN! Would love him to somehow end up on the Chargers...

http://grantland.com/features/brandin-cooks-nfl-draft-oregon-state-wide-receiver/

That was a really good read, but I doubt Cooks will be available at 25. It seems like his value has catapulted past Beckham. I really think Cooks is a great fit for our offense and would have a Keenan Allen-like impact straight away.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Manziel is still there, trade down or just go BPA?
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(NON QB BPA, of course...)
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there will be someone there that Telesco loves... it just makes me nervous that we keep seeing Manziel in front of the Chargers banner.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we'll have either Dennard or Nix available. Whaddaya think? (Cincinnati probably goes Dennard) At least no more AJ where we have to worry about some crazy reach here....
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a great pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: