Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: 2014 NFL Draft Thread Reply with quote

Just to get it started early, not saying the seasons over in the slightest, just wanted to hear some opinions on players. Since its finals week I probably wont have much time to update this, but i'm sure LBC will be in here updating us as well as JH.

As of now, here's how i got our needs...

OLB/Pass rush
NT/CB
OG/C
SS
OT

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Just to get it started early, not saying the seasons over in the slightest, just wanted to hear some opinions on players. Since its finals week I probably wont have much time to update this, but i'm sure LBC will be in here updating us as well as JH.

OLB/Pass rush
NT/CB
OG/C
SS
OT

By Hades our team needs seem to look the same every year...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

OLB/Pass rush
NT/CB
OG/C
SS
OT

WR? You have to think Floyd is done as well as Alexander. I guess you guys could roll out with Allen, Brown and Royal (FA yet?) with Green and Gates at the TE spot. I feel like y'all could use a WR that can stretch the field.

LT? I know Dunlap has played well but man, he's had 3 or 4 concussions? Fluker played well there for a bit but I think he's better suit at RT.

SS? Gilchrist that bad?

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilchrist is up and down, but if there's a good enough player, he should be replaced.

If we want to take Lamarcus Joyner and stick him there, I'd be all for it. He is unreal.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with WR, but disagree with LT and SS. The scheme allows the team to just plug anyone there and be fine and Gilchrist like JH said is an up/down player, not a plus.....but not a clearcut liability.

I would say the Chargers needs are a NT, OLB, CB, and a big WR.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into the year I thought RB would be a need but with Mathews really stepping up and Woodhead giving a nice change of pace I think we don't need to bother with drafting one. Maybe pick up an UDFA and/or a vet to compete with Ronnie Brown for backup but otherwise I like what we have.

WR position is complicated. We have our #1 in Allen, but there are tons of question marks beyond him. Is Brown just having a bad year? Does Floyd come back healthy? Is Royal's contract too high for his production? Do we take 1 more chance with Alexander? It will really be interesting to see how TT handles this position going forward. My guess is we run with Allen/Floyd/Royal/Brown and hope M80 can return to form. I think its unlikely we draft a WR unless someone on TT's eye falls to us.

Left tackle is tricky. I've really like Dunlap this year when he's been on the field, which hasn't been enough. So many concussions in a short time has me worried about his long term ability. We should also get Mike Harris back next year, he was terrible as a rookie but played like an entirely different person this season before getting inured. We still need some depth as well. I could see us taking a LT pretty early on depending on how the draft falls.

Right guard... GET CLARY OFF THIS TEAM NOW!!! I'd love to roll with Troutman and Rinehart as our guards. I could see using a mid round pick for another guard for depth purposes, also I believe cutting Clary nets us some cap space though not 100% sure. I'd rank this as a semi need.

Nose tackle is our biggest need in my opinion. Cam just isn't the guy and our run defense has suffered with him starting. Can we snag a decent vet on the cheap like we did with Franklin? If not then I see this being a high priority and day 1 or 2 pick needs to be on this position. We must have someone who can demand double teams and anchor our D better.

OLB/Pass rusher is right there behind NT in my eyes. I think the Freeney experiment is over, believe the contract was setup to be able to release him though again, I'm not great with contract situations. We have some decent role players in Keiser and JJ, I also like Reggie Walker and his ability to play multiple roles plus the guy just seems to be around the ball. Ingram is good on one side but we really need a stud who can get after the QB, we've needed one since the Titans ruined Merriman (along with the roids). I see this as day 1 or 2 pick depending on how things turn out.

Strong safety is another odd spot. In our D, does the "SS" really play that usual role? I mean more often than not I see Weddle playing more the "SS" role attacking the runner or qb.. so idk. Never the less, this is a position we've also struggled with for a while. Multiple draft picks used to find the right guy and none being too successful. I really thought Taylor would work out but I'm not sure what happened with him. I see this as a day 3 pick. If we can get someone who can start right away then possibly earlier then have Gilchrist move to CB again.

Cornerback... ugh. I thought Cox was going to be an upgrade over Cason/Jammer.. boy was I wrong. Dude has been a huge bust so far. Wright has been getting better, still young but I see glimpses that make me maintain hope. I'm hopeful that Steve Williams can make an impact next year, he showed some promise before he got hurt. We still need to bring in another CB. I'm guessing day 2 pick again, depending on how things fall. Getting a better pass rush and getting Williams back should improve this position though we do need better talent.

In short

NT - OLB/Pass Rusher
CB - LT
RG - SS

BPA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB- No Need here.

WR- Floyd is on the cheap and worth bringing back, K. Allen has been more then I hoped for which has partially made up for the dissapointment I feel towards V. Brown. Royal needs to be jettisoned so we have two roster spots open. I don't want to sink a first or second just yet into this position because of our investment in Brown but if the value is good we have to pull the trigger.

RB- It's a late day 3 or UDFA type of position. I'll consider it higher in 2015 when Matthews departs. Unless we get a shot at incredible value, this should be selected no earlier then the sixth.

TE- I see no need to spend a draft pick here.
OT- We're one tackle short, no matter how we slice it. I don't need an elite player but someone smart and durable would fit the bill.

G- Rinehart is a FA and Clary sucks. Troutman has appeared servicable. I don't know why we haven't been able to find a serviceable body for these positions. Got to follow the value here and grab at least 1 guard in the draft.

C- Hardwick started considering retirement two seasons ago. We need to draft an heir. Hopefully, one that can redshirt at guard for a year or two.

DE- We have to draft one and likely early. Lieuget is a FA next season and after a dismal performance this year we can't consider an extension a given. Although, now would be a perfect time to extend him on the cheap.

NT- Yes, I agree Cam Jordan isn't the man for the job at this point. Too bad I can count on 1 hand the number of college prospects I've seen that can play NT from day 1. We have to find a veteran like Garay or Franklin that can stop gap this for us and see if Cam can make the jump late in his career like other NT's have.

ILB- Butler's contract dictates if this is a need or not. He deserves starter money but not star money and I have no idea where contract talks are.

OLB- SP95 was our only legitimate pass rusher for years and he was let go this last off season without a suitable replacement. We've swung and missed on a pass rusher so many times but it's the hugest hole on this team. Our corners are trash but can be disguised if we can just get a pass rusher worth the roster spot. It's our top need and outside of last season where Rivers just got lit up every play, has been since Merriman went down.

CB- Both of them are garbage. Both of them should be replaced. However Corners and pass rushers are such a crap shoot in the draft. We have to go best value at multiple positions of need. It's high up on my list of we NEED to address.

S- I'm not a huge Weddle fan, however he makes the guy next to him look so much better then they really are. Gilchrist is below average and I don't even know what has happened with Taylor. Has he been on the field?

1-3rd BPA between OLB, CB, or great value at WR, T, OL or DL
3-5th BPA between OL, DL, CB depth, another pass rusher etc.

With how many needs we have we're basically going BPA in every round. That's what happens when your previous GM was an egomaniac that overvalued SEC players as highly as AJ SMITH did.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the season's over, i thought i'd bump this up to get this going a little bit. We really need some sort of pass rush, like desperately...and a NT as well. We have good ends, but nobody to occupy the space needed to let our DE's and LB's make plays. Similarly, while we still play soft zones for our corners, we need some semblance of a pass rush. We really dont have anybody who can consistently threaten the QB off of the edge.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
I agree with WR, but disagree with LT and SS. The scheme allows the team to just plug anyone there and be fine and Gilchrist like JH said is an up/down player, not a plus.....but not a clearcut liability.

We'll take a WR, but this class is deep enough that I don't view it as a massively pressing need (barring Sammy Watkins falling to us at #25, I wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on the position). The massively deep rookie WR class will only make the free agent WR pool more affordable. Throw on that Keenan Allen is a bit of an anomaly, rookie wideouts rarely produce like he does, so again, using an early pick on a player we're not getting an early return on (versus taking and working with a project guy in the mid-to-later rounds) just doesn't sound as wise.

We need to get the scheme figured out and figure out whether we're sticking with it as is or if they're going to adapt. If we're going to continue to run this soft-zone nonsense then there's no point in investing in CB's early - improving pass-rush goes further with this particular scheme to improving overall performance in the secondary than plugging a premium prospect in there. Grab guys with high football IQ and good instincts over "great measurements" - that's the key to running zone.

If we decide to actually adapt to the modern league and realize that with the increased incidence of quick-strike, get-the-ball-out-quick offenses in the NFL you can't run soft-zone with heavy cushions and expect to find a lot of success, well then that a whole other story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

We'll take a WR, but this class is deep enough that I don't view it as a massively pressing need (barring Sammy Watkins falling to us at #25, I wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on the position). The massively deep rookie WR class will only make the free agent WR pool more affordable. Throw on that Keenan Allen is a bit of an anomaly, rookie wideouts rarely produce like he does, so again, using an early pick on a player we're not getting an early return on (versus taking and working with a project guy in the mid-to-later rounds) just doesn't sound as wise.

We need to get the scheme figured out and figure out whether we're sticking with it as is or if they're going to adapt. If we're going to continue to run this soft-zone nonsense then there's no point in investing in CB's early - improving pass-rush goes further with this particular scheme to improving overall performance in the secondary than plugging a premium prospect in there. Grab guys with high football IQ and good instincts over "great measurements" - that's the key to running zone.

If we decide to actually adapt to the modern league and realize that with the increased incidence of quick-strike, get-the-ball-out-quick offenses in the NFL you can't run soft-zone with heavy cushions and expect to find a lot of success, well then that a whole other story.

True, I expect us to use a 4th or 5th on WR, whom is over 6-2 and can run go-routes.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lissemore, Geathers, and Jerideau are under contract for cheap next year. That's two big bodies, and a guy that filled in well this year. Unless there's amazing value on a NT, I think that will be the rotation next year.

A pure pass rusher is very necessary. Ingram is a really good LB, but can't be counted on as a guy that will get to the QB every time. JJ would save $2.5m to cut, so Ingram would move over into his spot. There has to be somebody on the other side that can consistently get pressure.

CB is a mess. None of them are really worth keeping. After blowing money on Cox, I can't see them spending on a FA again, so they're gonna have to rely on the draft. It's either going to be the 1st or 2nd, but they'll have to go high on CB.

I'm actually ok with the Safeties for once. I think Gilchrist was ok, and despite trying to kill everybody on the field, Addae improved all year. Stuckey is a decent backup to Weddle, and a ST's monster. Taylor is still pretty cheap as another backup. It's not the best group in the league, but it's definitely good enough not to panic and overdraft.

I like Dunlap and Fluker at the OT's. I am afraid Dunlap's career is done with another concussion though. There's definitely a need for a good swing tackle, and/or somebody to groom for Dunlap's job.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
True, I expect us to use a 4th or 5th on WR, whom is over 6-2 and can run go-routes.

There's two of those guys on the roster, and they didn't use them enough. Rivers still seems to trust Ajirotutu. Unless they're grabbing a guy that can outrun everybody on the field, I expect it to be

Allen
Floyd
Royal
Ajirotutu

As the game day actives.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that hasn't read it yet, here's Annie's (final) article of the season:
http://shenanniegans.com/2014/01/13/the-chargers-and-the-end/

Definitely worth a read and certainly gives reason to have hope that we have the right infrastructure in place. Whether we'll be able to transmit that into wins and a championship is still anybody's guess, but we look to be on the right path with the right attitude.

Now, granted, we are about to see that resolve tested as we enter what can be affectionately (?) known as "selfish season" where players by and large look out for #1 first and the team (and their teammates) second.

We're strapped enough cap-wise (starting out at just slightly over $6 million in available cap space which is basically enough to sign our draft class and one minimum-contract veteran) that something's going to have to be done, be it cuts (Clary - though I can - sadistically - see the club being reluctant to outright dismiss him right away with the other starting guard also being a free agent; possibly Royal, but not likely; McClain; Johnson) or some contract voodoo (Rivers should likely see an extension in order to get some cap relief this year and to get him some more guaranteed money, the question is whether he gives us a "Brady deal" discount; Gates is a possibility; Weddle's possible but his contract really doesn't yield us much help; possibility of Freeney taking a pay-cut too if it means loading up the club to give him an improved one more shot for a ring).

Don't know if it wastes him or not, don't know if he'd be greatly effective at it or not... hell, I don't know if our defensive coaches are even innovative enough to think of this, but they could even look at rotating Liuget in on some of the NT snaps (since he saw time at both the 1- and 0-tech's in college) if someone like Guy makes big strides in the offseason or if great value at 5-Tech falls to us in the draft. Kind of a rank thing to do to him in a contract year, but the best interest of the team is what our administration should have in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion S.Wright started to look like a CB near the end of the season. After another off season I think he'll be a legit starter. Maybe better as a #2 but will probably be thrown into the #1 spot. Do you think that maybe a guy like Steve Williams can step up on the other side. Or maybe Cox can get his stuff together and learn to play in our system. If we can get our pass rush going with Ingram, Freeney, Leiuget and Reyes plus a high pick stepping in maybe our corners can be servicable. I DO think we will need to draft one but we are actually pretty deep considering Cox and Williams didn't play during our playoff run. Just throwing it out there.
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
game3525 wrote:

There's two of those guys on the roster, and they didn't use them enough. Rivers still seems to trust Ajirotutu. Unless they're grabbing a guy that can outrun everybody on the field, I expect it to be

Allen
Floyd
Royal
Ajirotutu

As the game day actives.

You Got Ajirotutu over Brown??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: