Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rest of the Season - Save Your Job, Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Rest of the Season - Save Your Job, Rick Reply with quote

Rest of this Season
I – like amazing andre and others on this board – will likely be doing an off-season plan. However, I wanted to focus on the end of this season before posting about next season.

I think there are some players the Texans could bring in that are (1) young / have upside; (2) have the requisite measureables to be a success; and (3) should be provided an opportunity to see if they possibly have the ability to play in the NFL. Moreover if we can lock them in for cheap now (3 year, rookie minimum deals), all the better! Obviously, I am not privy to any information that these additions should not be made because of a lack of football IQ, drug usage, and / or other character concerns that would nullify any potential physical success.

A couple of points – even with a new coach: (1) I think we keep ZBS, but apply more of Tom Cable-style ZBS (i.e. mobile, but thicker OL) and (2) move to a more traditional 3-4 (lane clogging, OL occupying NT). It will enable a new coach to “hit the ground running”.

Quarterback
- Start Case with TJ as 2nd string – see what you have
- Look to see if someone will take on Schaub’s contract next season (OAK? maybe for a 6th or 7th round pick)

Running Back
- Shut Tate down (place on IR) (the key: don't be wishy washy about it)
- Run DJ & Karim to find out if one could be a backup RB or a 3rd down back next season
- Sign RB Montario Hardesty (give him a look see as he was supposedly made for the ZBS – before all the injuries)
- Add RB / KR / PR Treavor Scales (Harvard / ATL) to practice squad
http://vimeo.com/56731599
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94207&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB
- Cut Edwin Baker from practice squad

Fullback
- Cut FB Greg Jones (so he can sign with a playoff team)
- Re-sign FB Zach Boren (or sign Owen Schmitt)

Wide Receiver
- Despite the last game TD catch, give Posey more reps at 3rd WR than Martin (or I would possibly play Martin showcasing him for an off-season trade)
- Cut WR Rico Richardson from practice squad

Tight End
- Play Griffin more and see what Byrne can do

Tackle
- Start Ryan Harris at RT over Newton (seriously, I think this is another reason Kubiak was let go)
- Sign T Chandler Burden (KC) to practice squad – Burden weighs in at 310-315 lbs., but appears to have mobility to succeed in ZBS; former defensive player should have right mindset for oline play + may be able to help with special teams; he was recently cut by KC from their practice squad– so there may be something else to his situation
- Cut T Nate Menkin from practice squad

Guard
- Cut G Alex Kupper
- Sign T / G Xavier Fulton from CFL – pull out all the stops to find cheap, but talented offensive linemen for ZBS (Miami, Seattle, and the Oilers found some talent north of the border) Wink

Here is a video of Fulton in action in the CFL: http://riderfuns.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-most-spectacular-cfl-hog-play-so.html (not EVERYONE can make a solid jump from the CFL to the NFL, but I think Fulton would be good to decent in the ZBS, especially as a backup Olineman)

Compare his measureables with those of Lane Johnson
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33042&draftyear=2009&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109129&draftyear=2013&genpos=OT

- Sign G / T Wade Jacobson (Wash St / WAS) to practice squad

Center
- No changes other than maybe seeing if Jones has the ability to play center if something happens to Myers

Defensive End
- Sign DL Zach Clayton (Auburn / TN) to practice squad – showed some initial quality physical abilities; could have success as a 3 – 4 DE as opposed to playing DT in a 4 – 3 alignment
- Cut OLB / DE Keith Browner, Jr. from practice squad
- Rotate the players more to keep ‘em fresh (for next season)

Nose Tackle
- Sign NT Antonio Dixon (PHI) – could play more of a traditional, blocker-occupier / gap plugging NT role
- Cut NT Terrell McClain

Outside Linebacker / Defensive End
- Sign OLB / DE Louis Nzegwu (Wisc / CAR) – Watt’s former teammate; has the tools to be pass rushing demon, but not the results (so far) + could play on special teams
http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/nfl-despite-strong-camp-ex-badger-louis-nzegwu-victim-of/article_e97e3af0-5de9-555d-9802-ba94b92b9940.html
- Cut OLB / DE Ricky Sapp

Inside Linebacker
- Give Tuggle some burn

Cornerback
- Cut CB Elbert Mack
- Sign CB / S Terry Hawthorne (PIT) – Hawthorne has upside / potential; could help with special teams while learning to play DB in the NFL; he was drafted by the Steelers in 2013 5th round, but was injured and they needed to sign lots of Oline help
- Play Harris over McCain
- Give KJ some burn at safety (I think he can have a GQ like flourishing at safety)

Safety
- Sign S Keelan Johnson off of Philadelphia’s practice squad – should help with special teams; has the physical tools to play deep safety for our defense (possibly way better than Starling)
- Cut S Jawanza Starling
- Sign S Steven Terrell from practice squad
- Cut CB Josh Victorian
- Give Eddie Pleasant more burn

Special Teams
For now, keep FaTAMU (or FAT Shamu – you decide) Kicka

Thoughts? Additions? Subtractions?
Anyone have a cell phone # / e-mail / Twitter handle for Rick Smith to make some of this happen!?!
dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds much more like an off season plan. Wade is not going to change schemes right now. We might see some changes but they will be minimal: starting Ryan Harris, more burn for young players etc. I would not expect any real roster changes until next season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
This sounds much more like an off season plan. Wade is not going to change schemes right now. We might see some changes but they will be minimal: starting Ryan Harris, more burn for young players etc. I would not expect any real roster changes until next season.

Yes, most of the moves suggested would be made with an eye toward next season.

But for Rick Smith, it would afford him the chance to show the he does have an eye for talent, but has been "overruled" in the past.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, thats way too much, there is just no chance any of that happens. I think we just ride the year out as is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I agree, thats way too much, there is just no chance any of that happens. I think we just ride the year out as is.

I think there is some confusion about the suggestions.

Am I saying do them all, not so much. Just suggestions at each level / position.

Most of the suggestions could happen in regards to not adding players:
(1) TJ as 2nd string over Schaub
(2) Shelve Tate - what good is it for him or team trotting out there with ribs that need to heal
(3) Giving Posey more PT over K-Mart
(4) Giving Greg Jones a chance to join a playoff team - he hasn't been on a playoff team since 2006 - 2007 season IIRC (which I think FAs would pay attention to in the off-season)
(5) Play Griffin more at TE
(6) Start Harris over Newton
(7) Give Tuggle some PT
(8 ) Play Harris over McCain
(9) See if Eddie P can contribute more than just ST

That being said, depth has been one of big issues this season. So I was definitely advocating bringing in younger, cheaper players who looked to have the skills to succeed to give them a chance to show what they can do vs. the other younger, cheaper players currently on our roster. Moving forward the idea would be to have mainly vets who can carry most of the load with young players who can help with ST and provide breather opportunities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: