Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another QB Possibility
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJD4MVP5455

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Another QB Possibility Reply with quote

Say we play ourselves out of a draft position to where we could draft one of the elite QB prospects, what would be thought about making a run at Bears QB Jay Cutler. While its dubious at best that he leaves the Bears this year via free agency, he would be a solid way to improve the QB position and allow us to develop a qb that could be taken in a middle round selection. Plus as far as I recall with our cap situation we are in a position where we would have the cash to add Cutler and still pick up a few more pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks

I hate the Jaguars
.Buzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
No thanks

We're going to draft our QB, no way we get someone in FA. I'm very confident in that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really hard time seeing the Bears let Cutler go. At the least, i think they'd be inclined to Tag him if they're still not sure. Give it one more year to see if he can stay healthy/consistent/grow in the new system. With the shortage of QBs in the draft now that some of the key guys are heading back to school, i think it's even less likely than it may have been otherwise...which was already very unlikely.
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we got hundley or bridgewater I would be absolutely thrilled
.Buzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:

I think the ship has sailed on Bridgewater after tonight, and i'm honestly alright with it. Sure, I'd love to see him in Jacksonville, but winning and see this team grow as much as it has, it's showing we really aren't as far away as we previously thought. It's fun to see, we finally have a good coach and a promising GM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

I think the ship has sailed on Bridgewater after tonight, and i'm honestly alright with it. Sure, I'd love to see him in Jacksonville, but winning and see this team grow as much as it has, it's showing we really aren't as far away as we previously thought. It's fun to see, we finally have a good coach and a promising GM.

How much less far away are we really though, after these wins? What GOOD teams would we beat, even with a QB like Cutler, as per this thread?

I can't think of any. We're barely beating bad teams that are tanking. I think the end result is obscuring what's really going on a bit. Maybe we're not 0-16 bad like it looked to start the season, but we're still really bad. We were one Matt Schaub not throwing a pick away from losing tonight...after being handed hundreds of free yards via dumb penalties from a team that has mostly quit on their coach. Same goes for last week vs the Browns. And so on. We're not 'winning games', we're just managing to barely hang on to games that the other team is 'losing'.

I like Cutler, probably more than most...but we're certainly nowhere near the point where we could bring in a vet like that and be truly competitive.
Vino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. No Jay Cutler please. He is not the answer for this team. Just be patient. This new regime just came in, they don't need to draft their QB right away. Just be patient. I'm personally hoping we have the chance to make a run at Winston, whether that means sucking enough to get him next year or a team that doesn't need a QB getting the number 1 pick and us trading up to get him. Winston is the perfect QB for this team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

Not to be the party pooper, but I really wouldn't start thinking we're anything close to being competitive, or that we will be next year. If we miss out on a QB, the offense has virtually no chance of improving very much, and when MJD goes down we basically lose all energy the offense has, just look at what happened tonight. Marcedes may be leaving altogether. I expect the defense to be better but honestly the offense could get worse before it gets better next year. What we're doing right now could be our version of what the Redskins did last year, and it's kind of just hurting our chances of getting better on offense. But don't be surprised if we're back in contention for the number 1 pick next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

Not to be the party pooper, but I really wouldn't start thinking we're anything close to being competitive, or that we will be next year. If we miss out on a QB, the offense has virtually no chance of improving very much, and when MJD goes down we basically lose all energy the offense has, just look at what happened tonight. Marcedes may be leaving altogether. I expect the defense to be better but honestly the offense could get worse before it gets better next year. What we're doing right now could be our version of what the Redskins did last year, and it's kind of just hurting our chances of getting better on offense. But don't be surprised if we're back in contention for the number 1 pick next year.

I really have no idea how right now you can say that we will miss on a QB though. A lot of players will rise and fall in the draft and i'm sure Caldwell likes a few guys (remember hearing that Caldwell was a big Hundley fan a while back on twitter). This draft isn't what it was hyped up to be, but there is some promising QB's.

If we don't take a QB (which honestly, I see that as very, very doubtful), we're going to continue to pile on talent to this team. Either way i'm feeling good about where we're headed, whereas the past couple years I didn't at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

How much less far away are we really though, after these wins? What GOOD teams would we beat, even with a QB like Cutler, as per this thread?

I can't think of any. We're barely beating bad teams that are tanking. I think the end result is obscuring what's really going on a bit. Maybe we're not 0-16 bad like it looked to start the season, but we're still really bad. We were one Matt Schaub not throwing a pick away from losing tonight...after being handed hundreds of free yards via dumb penalties from a team that has mostly quit on their coach. Same goes for last week vs the Browns. And so on. We're not 'winning games', we're just managing to barely hang on to games that the other team is 'losing'.

I like Cutler, probably more than most...but we're certainly nowhere near the point where we could bring in a vet like that and be truly competitive.

The Titans and Browns were both quality wins. The Titans were playing some solid football and were in the race with the Colts for the division at the time. If the Titans would have won that game they would have went into the Colts game fighting for the division lead. They had Locker for the first quarter/2 quarters and we held them down. They brought in Fitzpatrick, he made some good plays, and we still held on even when they had a lot to play for.

The Texans aren't a good team, but there last 7 losses have came within 7 points in each of them, so to say this team isn't talented or you shouldn't be happy about winning is ridiculous.

As for the Browns, they had an equally awful QB playing, but they have one of the better WR's in the game that absolutely went off and they have a very solid defense.

I don't see how you can't be happy with the wins we got. Sure, we didn't beat the Seahawks or the Broncos or a team of that caliber, but it's hard to do that unless you have at the very least a decent QB, which we don't. On top of that we have had #2 overall pick and our LT out as well as arguably are best weapon on offense in Justin Blackmon.

This team isn't THAT far away, unfortunately our struggles come from 2 places that you need to be good at to beat good teams, our pass rush and our QB play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piling talent on the team doesn't really do much if you don't have a QB. We see it everywhere. QBs are the difference between 4-12 and 12-4. Texans have tons of talent but no QB. Cleveland has a great defense, a great tight end and wide receiver, a great left tackle, but no QB. Green Bay has literally imploded without Aaron Rodgers. etc.

And you keep saying we're definitely going to draft a QB, but actually look at our options: they're very limited. Hundley is probably staying in school. Bridgewater and Carr will both be gone by the time the draft hits us, and none of the other guys are worth a top 10 pick, not even close. When we get to the second round Manziel and Boyd both have great potential to be gone. So that leaves us with David Fales, Jimmy Garapollo, and AJ McCarron. Yeah.

You were one of the main ones advocating us winning, so you should have been prepared for this to happen.

Last edited by Vino on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 am; edited 2 times in total
.Buzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
Piling talent on the team doesn't really do much if you don't have a QB. We see it everywhere. QBs are the difference between 4-12 and 12-4. Texans have tons of talent but no QB. Cleveland has a great defense, a great tight end and wide receiver, a great left tackle, but no QB. Green Bay has literally imploded without Aaron Rodgers. etc.

And you keep saying we're definitely going to draft a QB, but actually look at our options: they're very limited. Hundley is probably staying in school. Bridgewater and Carr will both be gone by the time the draft hits us, and none of the other guys are worth a top 10 pick, not even close. When we get to the second round Manziel and Boyd both have great potential to be gone. So that leaves us with David Fales, Jimmy Garapollo, and AJ McCarron. Yeah.

You were one of the main ones advocating us winning, so you should have been prepared for this to happen.

Been prepared for what to happen?

It's the beginning of December. So much changes from now til than. Give it time. If Caldwell loves Carr or another QB that is in the running to go high like Bortles or some have even said McCarron (Rappaport was saying McCarron is #2 QB and #1 SR on one teams board I believe), he will go and get him. You say how you don't see him trading up, he will stay and get whoever, but if he truly loves a guy there is no way he passes him up.

Again though, so much will change with the draft board from now til April/May. There is no point in arguing about prospects besides guys like Bridgewater/Clowney who we know will be at the top.

Now and always will I want to see us win, I could never hope for the Jaguars to lose. That is not me, at all. The Jaguars aren't going to lose over some prospect in college either. Caldwell will bring talent in here, I have no doubt in my mind that this team will be turned around before too long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but I really don't see Caldwell trading up for any guy in this draft. You keep talking about if he loves them, my point is I don't think he will love anyone in this draft that much. And I think he's the type to go for the best player available to him at the time, not going for a position he feels pressured into drafting. He's not going to force himself to love one of these guys if he really doesn't. I really wouldn't be surprised if we end up trading back at this point.

Also, I really love what the Jags are doing, but I'm not being fooled. We're doing this against a bunch of teams that have pretty much given up on their seasons. We're still far from legit competitiveness. I'm just saying, don't be disappointed when we're vying for the number one spot again next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny manziel. Then Aaron Murray late. Keep henne cut gabbert keep 3 qbs on the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: