You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you......?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Would you......? Reply with quote

Would you make a RGIII type trade for Teddy Bridgewater... First rounder for the next three years? Thoughts? Did anyone watch the kid ball on Thursday Night?
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that we can afford to do that.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
This.

There's some merit to the idea. Dave did well at finding bargain guys to come in, and we have a lot of money to spend. If Dave basically knows he's good enough to throw some money at those type of guys and get some mid-level guys to play at a level above their pay grade, then you might be able to make it work.

The Redskins deal was bad for a couple reasons. First, they had mismanaged the cap for a while and didn't have too much room to work with. That coupled with the hit they took for breaking rules really tied them down with what they could do. Secondly, they really set the team back using all those picks when their second rounder could have been used on Russell Wilson. They could have Wilson and two first rounders on that roster right now, and this year's coming to help.

So in order to do it, we would need.
1. The money to supplement the players lost - check
2. A GM capable of getting value - check
3. Complete belief there's no other QB out there that we could get that will help the team - [unknown]

Live like you're down 3-1
Vino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. That was an extremely dumb deal, just look at where the Redskins are now. 3-10 with no first round draft pick. Bridgewater is not such a can't miss QB to do that.

Now...I'd consider a deal like that if it were for Winston. Just not as much. Maybe something like our second and third round picks that year and a first rounder the next year. But trading away multiple first round picks is retarded. But I'd mostly be willing to do that because I think by the time we would be able to get Winston (2015) we'd have already fixed our O-Line and shored up a lot of the defense and we'd just be waiting for our franchise QB.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Dave hinted when talking about the Julio Jones trade that he wasn't afraid to go get his guy if he thought it was in the best interest of the team and we wouldn't be able to either the current year or next. This was right after he was signed, so nothing recent.

I wouldn't do it, and I don't expect it to be done, but I wouldn't be upset if it was and Dave handled things in a way to supplement the losses without ruining the cap situation.

Live like you're down 3-1
Vino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's looking way too far ahead and is an eternity in football years, but looking long term, it really would be better to wait and try to get Winston. The more I see of him the more I realize just how perfect a fit he is for this team. And I'm not just saying that because he's the overhyped Heisman guy. It's right down to the way he carries himself. He meets all criteria above and beyond for a QB for this team

-FSU QB (means he will excite the fanbase here in Jax right off the bat)
-He preaches and carries himself in an ultra positive goofy manner like Gus, and would be the perfect extension of the coach on offense
-Is the perfect match for Jedd Fisch's offense, being a big armed pro-style QB that can extend plays with his legs
-Would immediately boost this team into national attention and make it so the media can't treat us like the ugly stepchild of the NFL anymore
-I have a feeling he would be a great presence in this locker room

If Caldwell can get Winston next year....I want him to do everything in his power to get him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to have to be the worst team in the league in order to get Winston next year. I don't see that happening and whoever has the number pick next year is not given up the chance to draft that kid. You'd have to give up your whole draft for the next 2 years in order to make a team flinch to that pick (sarcasm) as far as 2 whole drafts but you know what I mean no team is given that pick up if they hold it.
Vino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? If a team that already is locked in with a QB gets the number 1 pick then they'll obviously be looking to trade down.

And besides, as long as we don't have a real QB under center, we'll always be in contention for the number 1 pick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the worst roster in the NFL and we may not even end up with a top 10 selection at this pace. Get that Winston pipe dream out of your head.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

This.

Despite winning a few games that other 'Tanking Teams' have handed to us on a silver platter...this Jaguars team has holes everywhere. Big ones.

The price to move up and grab a Teddy Bridgewater/RGIII/etc is going to be extremely prohibitive for a team like ours, even IF it were to be available as an option, which also isn't all that likely. a)we probably just don't have the assets to outbid other parties who might be involved in that sort of auction. b)even if we did have those assets, we need them so badly on this team, that i just don't think you can go blowing your future on one player, no matter how critical that position may be to the future. A great young QB can cover up for a lot of other deficiencies...but not all of them.

I just don't see it as feasible for Caldwell to go 'all in' on one player at this point, given how very far away from the real 'endgame' we are, of competing in the playoffs.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
We have the worst roster in the NFL and we may not even end up with a top 10 selection at this pace. Get that Winston pipe dream out of your head.

But with him coming out a different year than this one, it isnt completely out of the question to have a shot, although i assume you mean our roster will only get better and if we are winning games now, we would probably play ourselves out of getting him

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

But with him coming out a different year than this one, it isnt completely out of the question to have a shot, although i assume you mean our roster will only get better and if we are winning games now, we would probably play ourselves out of getting him

yeah

Vino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
You know how improbable it is for us to have literally 5 out of 6 games against teams who have given up on their seasons and have no QB? We're winning because we had no expectations and Gus excites the guys. But it's way too optimistic to think just because we're beating on a bunch of teams who have given up and who have questionable coaches at best to think this means we'll be any good next year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
You know how improbable it is for us to have literally 5 out of 6 games against teams who have given up on their seasons and have no QB? We're winning because we had no expectations and Gus excites the guys. But it's way too optimistic to think just because we're beating on a bunch of teams who have given up and who have questionable coaches at best to think this means we'll be any good next year.

Expectations don't have anything to do with how we're doing right now.

Please show me where I said we'll be good next year. Saying I don't think we'll get the #1 selection next year isn't the same as saying we will be good.

If Gus & company can manage 4+ wins with this squad then I don't see how you can confidently say we'll have the #1 selection next year when that will be another year with Caldwell's roster moves and Gus' coaching & scheme.

Sorry, but clamoring for Winston is a pipe dream and to be doing it right now is ridiculous. If we could hold off on the Winston obsession just a little bit until after May, I'd be appreciative.

Vino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They managed four wins BARELY against teams who literally aren't trying and have given up. And we had one of those teams TWICE. There's something to be said about a team who had no expectations going into the season and our playing carefree going against teams who had tons of expectations and find themselves bottom feeding because of bad coaching and bad QB play. You can't ignore that element, otherwise you're just ignoring reality.

It's highly unlikely we get that again next year, and we'll be going up against better defenses with teams that will all have at least serviceable QBs with weapons unless Geno and Andy Dalton implode or the Titans implode in similar fashion to the Texans.

You keep saying "there's no way" this and that but I doubt you've actually looked at the situation we'll be going into next year broadly. I just don't see us winning even as many games as we will this year, and it's because we won too many to push us out of getting Bortles or Carr, never mind Bridgwater, or even one of the top defensive prospects in Clowney and Barr. And if we draft a developmental guy he won't be starting. Meanwhile, AFC North defenses, Jets defense, NFC East offenses, two powerhouses in our conference, a Titans team we can only hope to beat if they implode, and the Chargers. All this with likely Henne starting, and there's no guarantee Goodell will let Blackmon come back. And the defense just can't get good enough in a year to carry an offense, especially since we will have a bunch of rookies in the front 7 and second years in the secondary.

:/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: