Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We DESPERATELY NEED a True #1 Weapon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Alshon was listed at 6'4" 230 in college. Evans is 6'5" 230. The idea that he'd move to TE is just as crazy as the idea that Jeffery would move to TE.

Evans is a NFL WR.

College teams list players way above what they are all the time. However, Jeffery got into that 225-230 range and it was obvious he needed to slim down. One of the biggest knocks on him was his 2012 playing weight. He's now playing around 215 in the NFL. Evans is a legit 230 already and could add more weight...

Like I said, I'm not advocating that it needs to happen. I'd give him every opportunity to play on the outside first. I'm just not sure every team would...

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean there aren't NFL scouts and teams out there that feel he'd be a better fit down the line as a hybrid TE...

IDOG_det on the sig...

Last edited by kgarrett12486 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Alshon was listed at 6'4" 230 in college. Evans is 6'5" 230. The idea that he'd move to TE is just as crazy as the idea that Jeffery would move to TE.

Evans is a NFL WR.

College teams list players way above what they are all the time. However, Jeffery got into that 225-230 range and it was obvious he needed to slim down. One of the biggest knocks on him was his 2012 playing weight. He's now playing around 215 in the NFL. Evans is a legit 225-230 already and could add more weight...

Like I said, I'm not advocating that it needs to happen. I'd give him every opportunity to play on the outside first. I'm just not sure every team would...

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean there aren't NFL scouts and teams out there that feel he'd be a better fit down the line as a hybrid TE...

Alshon is playing around 220. Odds are that Evans is 6'4" to 6'5" 225 to 230. There's absolutely no reason to move him to TE.

I feel pretty confident that NFL teams would rather keep a guy with his tools and talent at WR than risk asking him to add weight and play a new position. There are multiple athletic TE types in this draft.

What's the upside to moving him to TE? If teams aren't covering him with a LB at WR...they're not covering him with a LB at TE.

Mike Evans is a NFL WR. And he'll be a damn good one.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Alshon is playing around 220.

You're splitting hairs with me here, as everything has him listed at 215-217 lbs. which is more on the 215 range than 220...

jrry32 wrote:
I feel pretty confident that NFL teams would rather keep a guy with his tools and talent at WR than risk asking him to add weight and play a new position. There are multiple athletic TE types in this draft.

Most of, if not all those athletic types in this draft don't have the pure pass catching skills and hands that Evans has. I get what you're saying, I'm just saying I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea. There have already been scouts on record saying they think he'd be a better fit as a hybrid TE...

All it takes is one team to fall in love with the idea...

jrry32 wrote:
What's the upside to moving him to TE? If teams aren't covering him with a LB at WR...they're not covering him with a LB at TE.

A team isn't going to put a LB on him outside the numbers. He's going to get a CB/FS out there...

He'd get plenty of LB and SS coverage playing right off the line. Jared Cook gets this coverage all the time as a FLEX guy...

IDOG_det on the sig...
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was ever a time to Trade for a Veteran Wide Receiver, this is it. You have two Top 10 Picks, and can deal the 2nd Rounder & potentially 3rd for a proven commodity. Next year is critical, and waiting for development on a Mike Evans won't allow this team to take the proverbial next step.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
A team isn't going to put a LB on him outside the numbers. He's going to get a CB/FS out there...

He'd get plenty of LB and SS coverage playing right off the line. Jared Cook gets this coverage all the time as a FLEX guy...

So then put Evans in the slot. Cards do it with Fitzgerald from time to time. Bears/Broncos did it with Marshall from time to time.

Jared Cook also isn't Mike Evans. Despite Cook's talent, he doesn't attack that LB coverage the way he can consistently.

If I see Mike Evans playing inside, I'm putting a DB on him. Same thing if he's playing outside. Doesn't matter if you call him a TE or WR.

I just see no point in risking his speed/agility to add unnecessary weight for an unnecessary position change.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I just see no point in risking his speed/agility to add unnecessary weight for an unnecessary position change.

Fair enough, I totally get that...

And for the record, I'm not advocating that either. When I said he could add weight, I was simply talking about him adding more mass from an NFL weight program (like if he's truely the 228 lbs listed, after a year/two in the NFL I could see him playing at low 230's)...

I'd give him every chance to play WR first and foremost with the Rams. I'm saying other teams might not. He's never going to line-up in-line, but they could potentially use him as that hybrid, Aaron Hernandez type role if it better fit their style/scheme/etc...

IDOG_det on the sig...
FRO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
If there was ever a time to Trade for a Veteran Wide Receiver, this is it. You have two Top 10 Picks, and can deal the 2nd Rounder & potentially 3rd for a proven commodity. Next year is critical, and waiting for development on a Mike Evans won't allow this team to take the proverbial next step.

Who is that player?
FRO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I know this has a .01% chance of happening, but hear me out. The Cowboys are a projected 21 million over the 2014 cap. Dez wants a deal this offseason. They can't fit him in. We have 2 first rounders, one plus some other picks could be attractive because the Cowboys can get a younger cheaper WR in Watkins or Evans and we can get a guy who is NFL elite already. I know this is totally pie in the sky.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
Ok so I know this has a .01% chance of happening, but hear me out. The Cowboys are a projected 21 million over the 2014 cap. Dez wants a deal this offseason. They can't fit him in. We have 2 first rounders, one plus some other picks could be attractive because the Cowboys can get a younger cheaper WR in Watkins or Evans and we can get a guy who is NFL elite already. I know this is totally pie in the sky.

You got that right. Dez is a truly elite player. Teams don't trade that away because of cap problems.

The best option, IMO, is to go after another OK State alum in Justin Blackmon.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Halradio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams have guys who can make big plays down field - Tavon Austin, Jared Cook and if he ever remembers how to catch again - Chris Givens (i.e. the guy who tied the record for most games with a 50+ yard catch).

What the Rams need IMO is a guy who can run an 8 yard route on 3 and 7 and make the catch with a defender draped on him like a cheap suit.
FRO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
The Rams have guys who can make big plays down field - Tavon Austin, Jared Cook and if he ever remembers how to catch again - Chris Givens (i.e. the guy who tied the record for most games with a 50+ yard catch).

What the Rams need IMO is a guy who can run an 8 yard route on 3 and 7 and make the catch with a defender draped on him like a cheap suit.

Yes. That guy is Sammy Watkins/Mike Evans.
SJax39

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
Halradio wrote:

Or Allen Robinson. I desperately want one of those 3 on the team next year.

[b]CLOWNEY WILL NOT MAKE IT PAST #2
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJax39 wrote:
FRO wrote:
Halradio wrote:

Or Allen Robinson. I desperately want one of those 3 on the team next year.

Or Jordan Matthews. I could go with another Vandy player after taking Zac Stacy.
Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:

Isnt that supposed to be Stedmans bread and butter? Dude has looked legit past few weeks

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Evans or bust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: