Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We DESPERATELY NEED a True #1 Weapon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: We DESPERATELY NEED a True #1 Weapon Reply with quote

I'd like to say, I'm happy with the impact guys like Tavon Austin and Zac Stacy have made in their rookie seasons. I really like that we went out and got a guy like Jared Cook Jr in free agency as well as Jake Long. We are headed in the right direction. However, we still need that true full blown #1 WR in our offense.

We've had opportunities to get guys like Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall in the past. We just passed up an opportunity to get a guy like Josh Gordon who is a true #1 threat. I understand there are certain circumstances such as salary cap or the fact that some of these guys are headcases (Marshall and Gordon), but we need someone like this to take our offense to the next level.

I realize these guys are difficult to find, but when the opportunity presents itself we need to GRAB one of these guys. It would help Bradford out a great deal as well as the rest of the offense. As I said, I really like Austin, Givens, Cook, etc but those guys are really great complementary pieces. We need a go-to guy.

So what I'm asking is, who is upcoming in free agency, the draft or maybe someone we could trade for in the offseason who fits the bill?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive mentioned this in other threads, but Im torn on how I feel about going out and getting another WR. I think it would be wise to push Quick to the limits for another year or at least the rest of this season to see what we have.

If not, I am all for getting a guy like Evans/Lee/Watkins. Heck even a guy like Robinson or Matthews.
l3lind golfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be on record, I'm about done with Quick. If he turns out to be the next Vincent Jackson, I'll eat my words; but I'm not counting on him to become what we need.

As far as the draft goes, I like those guys, but my issue there is are those dudes going to be the legit #1 threat we need or are they going to be another Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Quick hasn't done enough to warrant him being the starter. Givens has had a down year. I think the ship has sailed with Gordon getting traded. Would the Jags be willin to take a third or fourth rounder for Blackmon? Is that too much for a guy who has a substance abuse problem?

If we dont obtain a top notch vet, Sammy Watkins/Mike Evans are a must pick type player.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder where the other guys like Cook and Austin let alone Givens/Quick/Bailey/Pettis fit in if we go get another guy. Yeah when we are playing from behind we need all the help we can get, but when we play how we want running the ball in a tight matchup we complain how we dont get our playmakers the ball enough and we look just fine. I just wonder if it would be a waste of talent and for lack of a better word "overkill". Not saying it is, just giving my reasons for being torn.
FRO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I just wonder where the other guys like Cook and Austin let alone Givens/Quick/Bailey/Pettis fit in if we go get another guy. Yeah when we are playing from behind we need all the help we can get, but when we play how we want running the ball in a tight matchup we complain how we dont get our playmakers the ball enough and we look just fine. I just wonder if it would be a waste of talent and for lack of a better word "overkill". Not saying it is, just giving my reasons for being torn.

I think Austin needs to work on his route in the offseason. If he could run those combo routes like Amendola did, he would be unstoppable. He has the quickness to do it. I think Austin fits well in the slot. I think adding another receiver puts Quick or Givens on the bench, which as of now is where they belong because they aren't cutting it.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting this idea that Josh Gordon could have been had via trade. Contrary to early national reports, Cleveland's beat writer and various other sources close to their FO said that multiple teams inquired about Gordon before the trade deadline and were told he wasn't available...

Gordon was never an option for this team, unless we were going to blow them away and overpay...

IDOG_det on the sig...
FRO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
Where are you getting this idea that Josh Gordon could have been had via trade. Contrary to early national reports, Cleveland's beat writer and various other sources close to their FO said that multiple teams inquired about Gordon before the trade deadline and were told he wasn't available...

Gordon was never an option for this team, unless we were going to blow them away and overpay...
You know what I just went by the national media buzz. I stand corrected. It would be stupid to trade him.
stl_rams_fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of bringing in a true #1 WR. My opinion was only brought into full plunge after watching that horrible game against the 49ers. I mean way too many drops (which we lead the NFL in), bad routes, inability to get open when your QB needs you to. I know some of it can fall on Clemens, but its not all him.

The free agent class this year has some bright spots, but its going to be hard to get a guy who:
1. fits our salary cap
2. wants to come here
3. after these 2, is actually a good reciever

Here's a list of the best upcoming free agent targets:
Kenny Britt - total head case, has never been the same after his injury. And I wouldn't bet Fisher would even bring him in again
Jeremy Maclin - hometown kid, I would actually love to bring him in. He may be cheap coming off an ACL injury
Anquan Boldin - after watching game this Sunday, it doesn't look like Boldin has too much chemistry with our team
Eric Decker - I would also like to bring Decker in here. Obviously he's worked with Peyton, and he could definitely come in and teach the young recievers and work with Sam

I would much rather use on of our 1st round picks on a receiver.
What about this:
We trade the Brown our 1st round #2 overall pick, and the Browns give us their 2nd first round pick (from the Colts) and a second round pick
This way we can use 1 first on a tackle, 1 on HaSean Clinton-Dix, and 1 on a receiver like Lee , Evans, or Watkins, even Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews later
l3lind golfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^This issue with all those guys is that they're really not #1 WRs. Maclin is a #2 WR at best, as is a guy like Eric Decker. Boldin has had a really nice career, but at this point he's getting up there in age.

As far as Josh Gordon goes, I thought he could be had for a 2nd rounder it's just that no team was willing to give that up because he's one mistake away from being suspended for an entire season. My fault.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a #1 WR, take Mike Evans. But I don't think the Rams take a WR in the first round again this year. I actually like our WR core.

I wouldn't consider Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen, or Desean Jackson #1 Receivers, but those franchises are doing ok.

Were not going to get a Calvin/AJ Green type. It's just not going to happen.
Deemo55

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
If you want a #1 WR, take Mike Evans. But I don't think the Rams take a WR in the first round again this year. I actually like our WR core.

I wouldn't consider Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen, or Desean Jackson #1 Receivers, but those franchises are doing ok.

Keenan Allen is a number 1 guy and will most likely find himself in a pro bowl sooner than later. All the guys you listed have pro bowl, go to type talent. The Rams don't have anyone like that and they need it whether it be a first, second or third rounder.
yrba1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuity with our current crop of receivers is more important. Unless there's an upcoming Randy Moss-type receiver in the draft, it's going to be another 2-3 long years before we see a rookie receiver breakout. Quick has been improving despite his inconsistencies and Bailey has been coming along nicely as well. Having these guys play with an inaccurate QB like Clemens is only going to improve them once Bradford is back at the helm.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deemo55 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

Keenan Allen is a number 1 guy and will most likely find himself in a pro bowl sooner than later. All the guys you listed have pro bowl, go to type talent. The Rams don't have anyone like that and they need it whether it be a first, second or third rounder.

So after 12 weeks of his rookie season and after trading up to 8th overall to select him, you are already ready to classify Tavon Austin as not the go-to pro bowl type guy the Rams need? Typical.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin's problem working with Bradford is two fold. Tavon is quite small & Bradford isn't the most accurate intermediate QB. Tavon has yet to develop the route running skills to stretch vertically. It was a really poor fit prior to the injury. I'd be hesitant to go for a Big Bodied WR in the draft b/c the lag time it takes to get that guy production- I'm talking Mike Evans. And with Sammy Watkins, I fear he & Tavon could be a major issue.

You need a Veteran Presence in the receiving corps. Look at what Vincent Jackson did/does down in Tampa Bay. Find a proven commodity, a true professional. So I'm already saying no to Kenny Britt.

In Free Agency, I'd make a huge play for Anquan Boldin on a deal to work the slot. Also look into Maclin's Health. Don't chase Decker or Nicks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: