Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd Half Time of Possession
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: 2nd Half Time of Possession Reply with quote

I hate to start this topic because the announcers, fat Tony Siragusa in particular, talked about this ad nauseam; but it's certainly a debatable topic and one that has plagued the Eagles essentially all season.

Chip has made it clear he does not care about time of possession. Does this belief hinder the offense when protecting a lead in the 2nd half? Or can these collapses be attributed elsewhere as in play calling and execution?

PowerElite wrote:
Please stop responding to my posts. You are a consistently terrible poster and aren't worth my time to thoroughly refute your drivel.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an issue until under 10 minutes remaining really.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't mean a thing. It really doesn't. There is absolutely no correlation between ToP and winning a football game. It's all about scoring points, and our defense has held up perfectly that past four games.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.

People can't complain that we don't run the ball in these cases, because we do. We also pass the ball. Maybe the defense makes adjustments or maybe a huge part of our offense is the up tempo and we slow it down just a little bit.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Vindicatedxx

Hey Tony is a chill guy gtfo!

Anyways obviously....we have issues closing out games.

But lets be honest....we BEND but dont break so far right?
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to be able to get first downs. Taking off 5 extra seconds on the play clock is not a big deal to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have so many negative plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters for whatever reason. I don't know if it has to do with slowing the pace, adjusting the playcalling, or just a mental issue with our players when we're up. But this team will never do anything if Chip doesn't sort it out

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to run some more under center runs right up the gut IMO. We have had success with that this year and the shotgun runs where we try and get outside clearly weren't working.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Eagles have gone into the second half with a lead 6 of their 12 games. That's about 50% with my calculations.

Anyway those games are the most important to look at because those specific samples would highlight a need to "run the clock" and play with a lead. Including all 12 games though, the Eagles are being outscored 140-162 (not that big a deal considering the Denver game where they were outscored 7-31 in the 2nd half)

With the lead in those 6 games, the Eagles are outscoring their opponents only 69-67 in the second half. This is a bit of a troubling statistic because it elucidates the Eagles inability to close games.

PowerElite wrote:
Please stop responding to my posts. You are a consistently terrible poster and aren't worth my time to thoroughly refute your drivel.
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
We need to run some more under center runs right up the gut IMO. We have had success with that this year and the shotgun runs where we try and get outside clearly weren't working.

That's an interesting point and one I never thought of. With the lead in the second half, you obviously want to run the clock. Therefore running out of bounds is rarely a decent option. Chip and the Eagles have had success running outside zone plays.

It's important to mention that in the college game, the hashmarks are wider making the success of these zone reads higher because there is more room to the outside.

Could it be that without the boundary line as a suitable destination come the second half, by running outside the Eagles are really enclosing their field?
Also because they had success running this way, are teams adjusting and taking away the stretch plays?

PowerElite wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poloc2289 wrote:
So the Eagles have gone into the second half with a lead 6 of their 12 games. That's about 50% with my calculations.

Anyway those games are the most important to look at because those specific samples would highlight a need to "run the clock" and play with a lead. Including all 12 games though, the Eagles are being outscored 140-162 (not that big a deal considering the Denver game where they were outscored 7-31 in the 2nd half)

With the lead in those 6 games, the Eagles are outscoring their opponents only 69-67 in the second half. This is a bit of a troubling statistic because it elucidates the Eagles inability to close games.

Huh? Wouldn't an inability to close games be seen by losing close games? I don't see the real issue at this point. We haven't lost a game recently, and we are nit picking about how we are winning them Confused

Idk, maybe its just me, but I am not worried at all. In fact, I am ecstatic. I never thought in a million years this team would be even half this good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Poloc2289 wrote:

Huh? Wouldn't an inability to close games be seen by losing close games? I don't see the real issue at this point. We haven't lost a game recently, and we are nit picking about how we are winning them Confused

Idk, maybe its just me, but I am not worried at all. In fact, I am ecstatic. I never thought in a million years this team would be even half this good.

Exactly...Bend but dont break.
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

I didn't mean it in that respect. I meant to highlight the near equal points scored in the second half of games the Eagles are leading.

That exhibits an inability to pull away from teams towards the end of the game.

I don't believe this is nitpicking at all because it has been a documented, statistical consistency throughout the year. The offense cannot produce as well with the lead in the 2nd half. I think, at least in a simple sense, it can be attributed to an over-reliance on outside zone reads and an inefficiency in the short passing game.

I don't feel, unlike the announcers, that time of possession is being mismanaged.

PowerElite wrote:
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Poloc2289 wrote:

Exactly...Bend but dont break.

I hate how fans can have unwavering support of a defense labeled as so.
As if a good defense is one that lets the offense march down and holds them to field goals or turnovers. Scoring gets tougher in the red zone because of the shortened field. I'm not willing to give the defense so much credit.

There are clear deficiencies in this defense that could just as easily make it a break defense next week. Chung has been horrible in every facet. Nate Allen is still poor in run support. The defensive line plays really well but sometimes the linebackers are out of position allowing for the big run.

I don't like "bend but don't break" defenses.
A few calls go the other way today and we're talking about how this defense broke (with a lot of help from the offense).

::EDIT::
I don't mean to say at all the defense isn't good. They are and deserve considerable credit.
But to praise a defense for being "bend don't break" seems asinine to me.

PowerElite wrote:
Daimonas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one would talk about our no huddle offense in the 4th quarter if we had better playcalling to continue the drive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: