Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 13 (vs Bengals) GDT: Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivers gave the skill players opportunities and they just got wasted so badly.....

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sacks, no QB hits, 3 lost fumbles (Counting the "INT" as a Gates fumble), bad penalties. There was no way to win this, and the Bengals tried to give it away.

Just a depressing game.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
No sacks, no QB hits, 3 lost fumbles (Counting the "INT" as a Gates fumble), bad penalties. There was no way to win this, and the Bengals tried to give it away.

Just a depressing game.

There was a sack. On third in our own territory, Wallace Gilberry sacked Rivers

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Rivers2GatesTD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel pretty good about Telesco's ability to put together a good roster. I'm not sure how long that will take though, probably another 2-3 years and by then Rivers will be getting up there.

I'm not as confident in McCoy, but I guess I didn't expect much from this season anyway.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivers2GatesTD wrote:
I still feel pretty good about Telesco's ability to put together a good roster. I'm not sure how long that will take though, probably another 2-3 years and by then Rivers will be getting up there.

I'm not as confident in McCoy, but I guess I didn't expect much from this season anyway.

McCoy is the type of coach that is going to need a defense capable of generating a good amount of turnovers in order to really succeed (such is the case with John Fox as well and why, until he had Peyton - and all the benefits that come with Peyton - Fox was a fairly middle-of-the-road coach minus one SB appearance with a turnover-happy defense in that year).

That can be built, but we need an offseason dedicated to philosophically and personnel-wise retooling this defense the same way in which they did with the offense this year. Thing is, I'm not sure having an "aggressive" defensive coordinator fits in with McCoy's/Fox's outlook on games. They want to minimize risk - aggressiveness doesn't lend itself to that. Our best hope may be Wade being able to come home.

Regardless, we need some form of athletic edge-rusher who can create mis-matches (because we presently have none; no Ingram even with the potential he's shown isn't quite that) and we need a more capable NT than any we currently have on the roster. I'm now praying that there's enough concern surrounding Nix's knee surgery that he falls out of the Top 10 so we have a crack at him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think McCoy's ideal model would be the 2010 Patriots. Ball-control, efficient offense and turnover happy defense. I also agree that our top two needs are NT and pass-rusher. Reyes and Liuget have fallen off this year and I think that is due to the departure of Franklin, Cam Thomas has been a massive disappointment and is strictly a mediocre back-up. Pass-rusher has been a problem for 6-7 years now, we just haven't had that "guy" since Merriman. Honestly I wouldn't mind losing out to get a better shot at Barr.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liuget isn't that great against the run, but he's effective at times rushing the passer. Only issue is that he's really the only threat, so he seems to get the most attention.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Liuget isn't that great against the run, but he's effective at times rushing the passer. Only issue is that he's really the only threat, so he seems to get the most attention.

And I think that's the issue with Cam, he commands nothing more than a single blocker to neutralize - many centers were driving him backwards after little more than a chip from one of their guards initially at the snap. There is no anchor to Thomas and moreover, in comparison to guys of late like Garay and J-Wall there is absolutely no forward push from him. if we had another 5-Tech of Liuget and Reyes' quality (Lissemore really doesn't count and Guy hasn't proven enough yet), we'd have a more optimal lineup just kicking Liuget to the NG spot, going undersized, and letting our LB's play cleanup (since we're already so insistent on them operating in zone anyway). That would work just fine... if we tackled properly.

And I think that may be my biggest critique of Pagano - and the famed Joe Barry... ever since John was promoted from LB coach and Milus was hired as DB coach our tackling across the whole of the back eight (minus Weddle) just went all to hell. It's really inexcusable.

If Pagano doesn't go, then at minimum Barry and Milus should; honestly all three should be tossed - unless Pags is willing to take a demotion (which I doubt). As long as the value is good, spend 2 of the first 3 picks in the draft on the best NT and OLB available, and then carpet-bomb the crap out of Day 3 and UDFA with DB's with high game IQ and firm technique (figuring to likely gain 1-2 long-term players out of 5-6 total rookies). And truthfully, we ought to go back to using more of Wade's style of 3-4, where the weakside rusher is more of a hybrid DE than a pure 3-4 OLB who is asked to drop into man or zone coverage 30% of the time (as it opens up our options in terms of rushers to guys like Trent Murphy or Van Noy - who I can see this coaching staff and front office taking shines too because of their personalities, program pedigrees, and work ethic).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added L green for my fantasy team and he got me a 0. Did he get hurt or something?? Killed my score this week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerbacker87 wrote:
I added L green for my fantasy team and he got me a 0. Did he get hurt or something?? Killed my score this week.

He won't play as much with Royal back. He's also the #2 TE, expecting big things every week is a little ridiculous. He's the type of guy you start if you have no other options. Laughing

#JDI
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
packerbacker87 wrote:

He won't play as much with Royal back. He's also the #2 TE, expecting big things every week is a little ridiculous. He's the type of guy you start if you have no other options. Laughing

Yea, He had three weeks of consistent play and they hyped him up good. I rolled the dice....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm ready for round 2!

Will be interesting this time. They play better at home but we will have our starting OLBs, our starting LT, and slot WR back... all of which missed our first meeting. Hopefully Ingram and JJ can get some pressure on Dalton. We'll see what happens!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: