Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Realistic free agents
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Realistic free agents Reply with quote

So since we are already discussing the draft, we mine as well discuss the part of the offseason that proceeds it. First of all, an accurate summary of our cap situation by a better, more involved fan than myself would be appreciated.

And please, don't just whip out names...explain why you consider them to be a realistic addition.

I will begin with...

Brandon Pettigrew: former first round pick who hasn't exactly produced. I really don't see him getting your typical overpriced contract that many free agents do. Obviously if he does, I doubt we would pursue, but tight end is a big need(and has been for years), and Bruce Arians offense has always been tight end heavy.

And here is one that I know you will all hate

Ryan Clark: WHAT!!! He sucks, and would not be an upgrade at any position!...he probably wouldn't even start!!'...all good points, but when has that ever stopped this team from signing Steeler castoffs? We all thought when Whiz was canned that would stop, but we are still being coached by a man with heavy connections in Pittsburgh.

sig made by mike23md
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheap ones, we have no money

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
The cheap ones, we have no money

This

We're pretty much at the cap with 41 players...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
mtdowner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Veldheer anyone?

He hasn't played this season after tearing his triceps in training camp so his value might be a little low. But he was a top pass protector last year. Not sure if his contract demands will be in our budget or not.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keim and his staff have my complete trust. They have done a great job thus far and have been creative

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to look at guys that fit our scheme and can fill out our roster cheaply. Experienced vets who can play key backup roles. We are in a very good position now that we can build as much as possible via the draft, we have a very good GM in Steve Keim to be able to trust him to do a good job in the draft.

Free Agency should be used to plug holes and build depth so that you can add talent via the draft.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap vets, lots of them

Want more than a mil per year, go elsewhere

Should be lovely and boring offseason
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i assume we'll go after low-end to moderate FA which is our tradition. I also assume Keim will maintain his philosophy of letting the strengths/weaknesses of the upcoming draft dictate who we sign.

With that in mind, the weak safety draft class and the pretty strong FA safety class makes me think that's a realistic target for FA. Here is a list of some of the FA going from most realistic to unrealistic:

1. Chris Clemons/Dolphins: We need an upgrade over Bell at strong safety. He's played ok at time but he's only going to become more of a liability in coverage at this stage in his career. Clemons was in Miami when Bowles was the DB coach so there's a strong connection there. He's younger than Bell (28 years old) and better in coverage and can be a good long term option at the position. PFF has him as one of the better coverage safeties this season this season. He's on a 1 year/$2.75 million contract right now but he's outplaying his contract. I'd say a 3-4 year contract at around 3.5-4 million per year would be a good deal for both sides.

2. Bernard Pollard/Titans: Basically a bigger and younger Yeremiah Bell. Pollard is known as a big hitter and a liability in coverage but he's been a bit of a journeyman recently so he's probably the cheapest option on this list.

3. Stevie Brown/Giants: Had a huge year in 2012 (8 Int, 11 PD) but tore his ACL and will miss the entire 2013 season. He's young (26) and has shown he can be a playmaker. We could either give him a moderate sized long term deal or give him a 1 year prove it deal.

4. Donte Whitner/49ers: I'm not sure where his value is right now but I don't think he'll get a huge deal. Overall, he's a solid player and a big upgrade over Bell.

5. Major Wright/Bears: Very good player for the Bears and I don't think they'll let him go. May be out of our price range.

6. Jairus Byrd/Bills: Out of our price range and not really a strong safety type.

7. TJ Ward/Browns: Out of our price range and is a strong safety type. The Browns may have to let Ward or Alex Mack go if they can't get a deal done since they can't franchise tag both. Either way, Ward will get Goldson type money IMO.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Wright and Very Good Player should never be used in the same sentence unless they are separated by "Is not a"

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we quietly made a lot of moves, but most of the big names we signed came late, Dansby, Winston, Abraham...but we were active none the less. Very much unlike the Graves/Whisenhunt combo.

sig made by mike23md
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Major Wright and Very Good Player should never be used in the same sentence unless they are separated by "Is not a"

hmmm I could have sworn he played well in 2012 and early this year.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
Last year we quietly made a lot of moves, but most of the big names we signed came late, Dansby, Winston, Abraham...but we were active none the less. Very much unlike the Graves/Whisenhunt combo.

Yeah Keim's forte seems to be picking up guys late for good value (Abraham, Winston, Dansby) and also claiming well'known guys off waivers (Ta'Amu, Ballard, Moch, etc)
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Cardinals

We have a little over 9M of cap space for 2014. Cut a few guys like Brinkley, Williams and Powers and it could be around 14-15M. Roberts is a FA, so is Los and draft picks will take up the rest. PP will get an extension soon.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a couple of cuts, nothing massive

Probably more restructures than anything

Also, PP's deal with dictate any spending, I can see a deal starting after 2014 with a big signing bonus and lots of years, that has to be done this offseason.

Also, hoping Roberts stays for a couple mil per year, if he wants more we can draft a replacement.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the Cardinals can start negotiating with Peterson about a new contract this offseason, but assuming they get a deal done, does that add money to the last year of his rookie contract, or would the big contract come into play after his rookie contract expires?

Justo on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: