Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFC West Division thread-Sizing up the competition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: NFC West Division thread-Sizing up the competition. Reply with quote

I thought it would be cool to have a space to discuss the state of our division, currently, and going-forward.

As predicted by many, the NFC West has been an incredibly competitive group of teams.Here are some fun quick facts;

-Only division to feature all teams with positive net points on the season.

-When playing opponents outside of the division, NFC west teams are a combined 22 and 9 in wins/losses.

-NFC West teams have a combined 12 and 3 record against the AFC south

So despite the gaudy win-loss statistics and positive net points, This division is only 10-6 against teams in the NFC, which is still pretty good.

So how do you see each team in our division finishing out the year, and the outlook for them next season. I'll start us off below. Disagree by hitting the reply button and smashing some keys....

Arizona Cardinals-

As of this writing, the surprising Cardinals are sitting at 7-4 and are threatening for a playoff run. In my opinion, that record is a complete facade.

They've won games against Detroit, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, Houston, Jacksonville, and Indy. Carolina is probably the most impressive of their wins, but they played before the Panthers decided to change their approach.

For those of you who say Indy was an impressive victory...no way. The Rams shattered the Colt's confidence, and Arizona is the lucky benefactor.

I see mediocrity in this team's future. Sure, they've got some real nice young pieces, but Carson Palmer is their QB. Their high total of wins will only make it more difficult for them to land a franchise signal caller. Game, set, match.

San Francisco 49ers

After a sluggish start to the season, the 49ers have rebounded nicely. I think their most impressive win on the year was their dismantling of The Rams, and their most impressive game was in New Orleans, a narrow loss.

Having said that, this team hasn't beaten many good teams either. Their remaining schedule is likewise light, with the exception of the Seattle game, but that's in San Francisco.

I think this team is disappointed in some of their young stars, specifically Aldon Smith and and Kaepernick. For a franchise that just last year seemed to be one of the most promising, the combination of alcohol abuse, a sophomore slump, and the increasing difficulty of keeping together good rosters through multiple years, things could take a turn.

That being said, they've got a good head coach and they draft well, so they are going to be highly competitive for a while longer at least.

Seattle Seahawks

What's to say here? Their one of the best all-around teams in football right now. This despite having faced significant injuries along the offensive line and Percy Harvin just now returning to the field. The only thing that is going to slow these guys down are PED suspensions.

However, the Seabirds have played an incredibly soft schedule. Just look at this heap:

TB, ATL, JAX,HOU, MINN, TENN,STL (and barely, without Bradford).

Their lone impressive win was against the 49ers. This game against New Orleans is going to be a great one, and will say a lot to me about how good this team really is. They should win, given the venue and likely weather conditions against a Dome opponent. If they secure home-field throughout, they go to Super Bowl most likely.

Going forward, this team looks pretty set for awhile. They've got a solid game managing QB who also creates splash plays when needed, and a strong young defense. If they want to stay on top, they'll have to draft well, as the roster will be hard to keep together throughout the coming years.

Saint Louis Rams

I've invited several posters from our rivals' forums to join our conversation and to offer their analysis on our team in a similar manner. It seemed fair and inclusive.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Cardinal defense is for real, they are fast and aggressive. Furthermore, they have the best WR trio in the division.

The 9ers greatest attribute is also their greatest weakness, Colin Kaepernick. As a drop back passer in passing situations he is average along with the OL. That team relies so heavily on running the football.

The Seahawks are the Seahawks.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
That Cardinal defense is for real, they are fast and aggressive. Furthermore, they have the best WR trio in the division.

The 9ers greatest attribute is also their greatest weakness, Colin Kaepernick. As a drop back passer in passing situations he is average along with the OL. That team relies so heavily on running the football.

Probably true, but does it really matter when they can't run the ball, can't block a pass rush, and have a immobile QB?

mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Probably true, but does it really matter when they can't run the ball, can't block a pass rush, and have a immobile QB?

Carson had a man in his face all game long against Robert Mathis and the Colts pass rush and he faired ok.

Our run game has actually been pretty effective all season long. Arians just chooses to completely bail on it at times.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Can't is a strong word in this context. It's more we choose not to run the ball but when we do we have been effective. And having a bad line and an immobile QB doesn't always matter (See Kurt Warner and how Palmer has played the last 4 weeks)

This team had 3 major positions of weakness we think we will go after in the draft but this year we have found some decent stop gaps: Tackle (Which I am thinking will be filled with a name such as Cameron Erving in the 1st) pass rusher (which Abraham has filled rather nicely. Could see us going with Khalil Mack in the first. I'm also a Michael Sam fan) and QB (Which Palmer has stepped up in, in past weeks. And this draft is pretty deep at QB if the right guys declare AKA Bortles, Petty, Hundley, Smith etc) and that's not to say those are our only needs though we have a need at safety and a 2nd corner would be nice as well,

Now as far as seeing mediocrity in our future, personally, I though we would win 5 games this year. I did not like the roster and I tend to be a major homer. But guys have continued to step up and with this years draft having a lot of talent at our positions of need. I'm confident we won't be seeing mediocrity and that the new GM Steve Keim can continue his ways of stocking up quality free agents and that we will be relevant just as we are this year for years to come now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shore up the OLine and find the QB of the future and the Cardinals are a serious contender for a while in this division.
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Carson could've played any better than he has the past couple of games. He's thrown no picks in the past two games and made some big time throws (Especially that off-balance 30 yd bomb to Fitz). Along with that, he's missed very few throws. He's finally comfortable with the offensive scheme and has some chemistry built with the receivers. Hoping Carson continues to play well and the offense gets better and better every week (knock on wood).

As far as the future of the Cardinals goes, I'm really excited not just for the remainder of the season but also the next few years in the Arians and Keim era. I'm thrilled that the Cards are in the thick of the playoff race right now. It's going to be a tough stretch and Carson's play will determine if the Cardinals make it to the playoffs. I'll be upset of course if the Cards miss out on the playoffs but still very optimistic about the Cardinals for next year. The immediate turnaround Arians and Keim have orchastrated has been unreal. I believe we changed about 50% of our roster last offseason and look at how much success we've already had. I can't wait to see the draft Steve Keim puts together after this year and maybe we find our QBOTF if Carson doesn't play well down the stretch. If he does perform well though, we'll draft that premier LT we have been looking for forever or maybe that play-making pass rusher that will make our defense even tougher for opposing teams to face. Let's not forget Jonathan Cooper is coming back next year. Would be nice to see Steve Keim work some magic and put some more pieces on that offensive line that makes them at least mediocre next season.

I don't want to make a statement like this when there are a ton of more games to be played but this team reminds of the '08 Super Bowl run team. Now Carson needs to prove he's capable of consisting playing like he did last game. This team will only go as far as our QB takes us. But the level of talent on defense is far superior to the '08 team and I feel like this can be more of a COMPLETE offense if Carson continues to play well (not saying Carson can be better than Warner).
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the Rams are kinda like the Cardinals last year. Very strong defense, some good pieces in play but just an inept offense that is preventing them from becoming a good team. It's unfortunate that Bradford suffered a season-ending injury but that being said I don't know if the Rams would be much better off than where they are at right now. Bradford isn't bad but he is about as average as a QB can be in the NFL. The Rams are kind stuck in a tough situation right now. Bradford had one good year (his rookie year) and since then has been meh. Maybe this year was the year he would finally break out but now I don't think he can get any better. He's not good enough to where can be declared a franchise qb but also not bad enough to be benched. Therefore, the Rams may not draft a qb this offseason and will continue to suffer average at best play from a qb that can't take them to the next level. This offseason will determine the direction the Rams head in. They can either regress into suffering coninuous regrettable seasons or take the next step....
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Carson Palmer is good enough to lead our team, but Bradford isn't good enough to lead ours? You're guy has thrown 15 interceptions through 11 games and only 16 touchdowns. With the best WR group in the division.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a Carson Palmer/Sam Bradford debate, but you've got to be kidding me, right?

I know the Arizona breakdown was somewhat harsh. Ya'll got a lot of great young pieces; Honey Badger, Campbell, Peterson, to name a few. I just feel that the end win-loss record will not be indicative of how good you guys are.

LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
So Carson Palmer is good enough to lead our team, but Bradford isn't good enough to lead ours? You're guy has thrown 15 interceptions through 11 games and only 16 touchdowns. With the best WR group in the division.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a Carson Palmer/Sam Bradford debate, but you've got to be kidding me, right?

I know the Arizona breakdown was somewhat harsh. Ya'll got a lot of great young pieces; Honey Badger, Campbell, Peterson, to name a few. I just feel that the end win-loss record will not be indicative of how good you guys are.

It's tough for anybody to come straight into a team and be successful. There's going to be growing pains while you learn a new system. We have two prime examples of that on this team with John Abraham as well as Palmer. You aren't going to come in and be expected to lead this football team and be some superstar right away. Carson has been great the last few weeks and I believe that is Tom Moore and Bruce Arians' system finally getting drilled into his head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

Don't get me wrong Carson Palmer was not good up until the past 4 games. I mean looking back on it you could tell he and the offense as a whole did not have a complete understanding of the offense. Arians' system takes time but it looks like the whole offense is on the same page now and it's no coincidence that that has resulted in better play from Carson. I still want to wait and see how he does to finish out the season to make an honest evaluation of his play but there is no doubt he has played really well lately. I just don't know if Bradford has shown me anything that makese me believe he is better than just an average qb.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmPacman wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

Don't get me wrong Carson Palmer was not good up until the past 4 games. I mean looking back on it you could tell he and the offense as a whole did not have a complete understanding of the offense. Arians' system takes time but it looks like the whole offense is on the same page now and it's no coincidence that that has resulted in better play from Carson. I still want to wait and see how he does to finish out the season to make an honest evaluation of his play but there is no doubt he has played really well lately. I just don't know if Bradford has shown me anything that makese me believe he is better than just an average qb.

I've got criticisms of Bradford too, but that mostly stems from the incredibly high expectations he faces as a former #1 overall pick. Give him a clean pocket and he can play ball, like most QBs really.

This is a good division all the way around.

jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably am just going to sit this thread out. Don't want another place where the Bradford debate pops up again. It's gotten old and I think people entrenched themselves in a stance coming into this year.

Regardless, this is going to be a competitive division. I hope the Rams can keep up.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Tooki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seahawks have had a cupcake schedule but the team is 10-1, as any good team would be considering the circumstances. The passing game is starting to get hot and that keeps me optimistic as the playoffs start to come up on the calendar.

(The big factor that needs to be considered is that the Seahawks are playing really well on the road unlike other years.)

I think that the NFC West will be really competitive next year, given how the 4 teams are playing right now. I like how the Cards D has rebounded from losing Ray Horton.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: