Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: What to do next? Reply with quote

Now that I am starting to sober up and the anger is subsiding it's time to take a serious look at our team and the state it is in.

As it stands we are still technically in the drivers seat to win the division but its not looking good. If you were running this team what would your next step be? (i.e. bench this player, more plays from this scheme.)

And looking forward what would you like to do in the off season? What positions/ players are you looking at in FA/the draft?
thenoilif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sorry I was drunk all afternoon we lost to who? Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
Now that I am starting to sober up and the anger is subsiding it's time to take a serious look at our team and the state it is in.

As it stands we are still technically in the drivers seat to win the division but its not looking good. If you were running this team what would your next step be? (i.e. bench this player, more plays from this scheme.)

And looking forward what would you like to do in the off season? What positions/ players are you looking at in FA/the draft?

1st priority but not likely is to replace the coaching staff. The Lions # 1 issue is they are failing to take that next step. For the last three years they have basically been that team that either wins or loses their games by a score. They have rarely been able to thuroughly dominate a team. If they do not make the playoffs especially with the North being a bit down at the moment, they coaching staff should be gutted. The team has enough talent they just need better coaching and not just from a player progression standpoint but also from and x's and o's standpoint.

2nd priority is to find a consistant playmaker on defense. A guy with the ability to create turnovers and then turn those TOs into points. A stud LB or DB would do wonders for this defense.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of mental mistakes from our offense today. Stafford was off, Megatron wasn't making catches he can make and looked hurt, and Bush looked like he was trying to do too much juke and jive out there.

I think that is a big part of our problem. Where do you blame for focus and determination? Coaching or the players or both?

We really lack discipline. Depending on where you lay the blame there, that is where changes need to be made.
cibowilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me first start off by saying that I like Schwartz, I've usually supported him and think he's done great things for this team. However, sort of like when Tampa had Dungy, I might be time to get our "Gruden" to help get us over the hump.

But that's in the offseason. As for right now, I would really like to see Slay play more. I think he has been really unlucky. Even the PI call looked like a bad call on player making a play.

I would also like to see Leshoure get some carries. Bell as been great and so Bush as been really good so I understand it's hard to get him in there but we have the chance to have a big time run game with that 3 headed monster.

Also, we need to be under center more! My God its so obvious when we are running and when are passing. We are already predictable and this on makes it more so.

Speaking of the run game, if we really want to be a dominant run team then we need to commit to it and get a damn FB! Good running teams that commit to being a good running spend the roster spot on a FB and commit to being a good running team.

I think being under center more and improving our run game will lead to Stafford being more successful thus more wins.
Chups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supported Schwartz up until a few weeks ago. This team doesn't have the same discipline as the top teams in the league. No one is being held accountable (outside Reggie last week) for the mistakes they make. The worst part is they make the same mistakes week in and week out. How many games have the Lions lost over the past few years to bogus fumbles? I don't even want to know.

And when they do dominate a team, they still find ways to keep the games close due to mental errors. Like the Vikings game on week one. They dominated that game and almost lost it. They dominated Dallas a few weeks ago but had to make a miraculous come back in the final seconds to secure a win. That's is the sign of a poorly coached team in my eyes. This team has too much talent to lose games like this.

Last edited by Chups on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the thread title. Can't have thread titles that are misleading or have nothing to do with the conversation. Secondly, we are not supposed to talk about intoxication and or drug use. I know it happens some, and that is ok, but not in thread titles.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I changed the thread title. Can't have thread titles that are misleading or have nothing to do with the conversation. Secondly, we are not supposed to talk about intoxication and or drug use. I know it happens some, and that is ok, but not in thread titles.

The thread title you need to change is oddly enough what will get us back on track. Take the jinx voodoo power away from Fuller and rename the anything thread!

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what we should do next is get a secondary that actually tackles, we need a "revis, Joe Haden" type cb and move Houston back to the #2 guy, idk what happened from last yr to this with him. btw. our run D has been boarder line top 10 in the last few weeks.
Locke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the coach:

I would bench Houston and start Slay. I'd even put Jonte Green over him in the depth chart. Give Bentley another chance on the outside. Develop these people.

I would attempt to reel Stafford back in, work on his short power and accuracy. I would try to show him the pros and cons of throwing it 20+ yards into double coverage.

I would blitz linebackers more, like what we saw in the first half of the Dallas game.

If I were the GM:

Fire Coaching Staff - I really like Schwartz, I think he has done great things and his mentality fit for our team when we were 0-16 and 2-14, but this team has outgrown him sadly. He gets out coached by most coaches he competes against, and his blunders are seemingly more costly.

We need a WR2 with size, speed and hands. Sadly I don't expect Burleson to be back or be any good anymore, so we'd also need a slot receiver. I'd focus additionally on DE, CB, S.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my gosh, the sky is falling... we lost two games in a row Sad Sad Sad

we're still in first, but by golly, the season is lost Sad Sad Sad

TRADE SCHWARTZ! FIRE CJ! LETS RIGHT THIS SHIP!!!

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the staff to win in place. We need to get a lil luckier first of all. Bad breaks happen. We have 5 turnovers and a blocked punt and had a chance to win this game. Coaches can't force CJ to catch that ball. Nor prevent a freak fumble like Durham had (how did he fall oob but the ball stayed in?). That was maybe the unluckiest game I have ever, EVER, seen in my life.

We need the team to stay composed and go beat the Packers. This team has the ability and coaching to score on anyone and stop anyone.

Mad our secondary is putrid. Sad

Sig bet
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
oh my gosh, the sky is falling... we lost two games in a row Sad Sad Sad

we're still in first, but by golly, the season is lost Sad Sad Sad

TRADE SCHWARTZ! FIRE CJ! LETS RIGHT THIS SHIP!!!

I do agree that some people are overreacting but this team has enough talent to beat the likes of Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay looked absolutely horrible. No run game to speak of and outside of that big pass play Glennon was relatively average.

I don't even think their defense was that sound especially after Revis went down. We made too many mental mistakes and had too many turnovers. I know that is stating the obvious.

The whole we are still in first place is a poor argument. We aren't playing like a first place team and if we lose to GB on Thanksgiving and then Rodgers will be back after that, GB will be in the drivers seat.

If we don't make some changes whether its schemes or something, we are going to miss the playoffs. We can't keep playing like this.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
We have the staff to win in place. We need to get a lil luckier first of all. Bad breaks happen. We have 5 turnovers and a blocked punt and had a chance to win this game. Coaches can't force CJ to catch that ball. Nor prevent a freak fumble like Durham had (how did he fall oob but the ball stayed in?). That was maybe the unluckiest game I have ever, EVER, seen in my life.

We need the team to stay composed and go beat the Packers. This team has the ability and coaching to score on anyone and stop anyone.

This team will not beat Green Bay, I don't care who the opposing QB is!
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

This team will not beat Green Bay, I don't care who the opposing QB is!

Noted.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we seen the bad on offence.. lets hope that don't happen again.. it seems everytime we play a great db they over gameplan it imo. Games where your qb doesn't have his A game..I don't understand why you don't pound your backs.

Defense.. as much as we committ to stopping the pass you'd think it would look much better. We need some speed to this pass rush.. zig avril suh fairley..

I'm getting annoyed but not given up yet.. we are still good team. We could just as easily catch fire. Thing that worries me the most is calvins knee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: