Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where's The Rush?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Where's The Rush? Reply with quote

Quote:
Detroit boasts one of the NFL's top D-lines. So why is it having trouble getting to QBs?

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/3256/why-the-lions-have-inconsistent-pass-rush

Wonder why our defensive line isn't putting up the sack numbers, or getting to the QB as often as we'd like? Good article
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Rockcity


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 1311
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping this would get brought up. I think a lot of it is the qb gets away with to much throwing the ball away.. I've seen a lot of questionable grounfing calls. Willie ain't gettn it done. Ansah raw as raw. Both hurt. Fairley turned into a nt.. aannd the holding on our team is insane imo when you compare...dirty rep? But through all that were still doin pretty good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1046
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be wise to start having our LB's jump slant routes every now and again... that seems to be other teams go-to play. I'm tired of seeing slant routes thrown on us all game.
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just magnifies how terrible our secondary has been at times.

One of the main supposive advantages of our scheme is that we constantly have 7 on the back end, so big plays should be kept to a minimum.

I believe heading into the Steeler game, we were near the top in 40 yard plays allowed, and that game certainly didnt help with that.

An aspect just as relevant is how teams are using shorter drops from their QBs and still having success.

Ive said this before, and I'll say it again: A huge part of being able to limit the better QB's in this league, is being able to keep them uncomfortable. You not only do that by your pass rush, but you do it by giving them different looks; on almost every snap, QB's know exactly what we are going to do on D, and they simply do what they want.

Schwartz and Gunn have had 5 years to work with, and we really havent seen much improvement since 2011. Although our Run Defense seems to be better, our pass D is still garbage. A good portion of that blame can surely go to Mayhew for not bringing in the horses at DB, but I think there are enough pieces in place right now for our D to be better than it is.
_________________
Team Stylish

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilson2k3


Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 288
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its bad coaching, bad play calling. Lions have what 16 or maybe 18 sacks on the season now, while the Saints and Bills are up to 37. You gotta really be doing something to not be at least in the middle of the pack. Even last year the Lions only had 34 sacks, they look on pace to do worse then that now. And last year they had an issue with not blitzing enough. They had 41 sacks in 2011, 44 sacks in 2010 I think that was Suhs rookie year, with 26 sacks in the 0-16 season I think. But it goes to show, its a big issue.

When the secondary is horrible, and we know it is, its going to make it look even worse when the QB isn't getting pressured. Late hits don't count.

We are good against the run, we rank 5th against the run, and were not too far from having the 2nd best run defense in the league. But we do have the 3rd worse pass defense in the league..

Maybe the question should be; is this defensive line being coached to stop the run? And forget about attacking the QB? This line use to be pretty bad against the run in 2011 the Lions were the 11th worst rush defense, last year the Lions had the 17th worst rushing defense, so I'm really wondering if this defense has been coached to stop the run instead of getting at the qb. Yet its safe to say outside of playing the Vikings, this is a passing league.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson2k3 wrote:
Its bad coaching, bad play calling. Lions have what 16 or maybe 18 sacks on the season now, while the Saints and Bills are up to 37. You gotta really be doing something to not be at least in the middle of the pack. Even last year the Lions only had 34 sacks, they look on pace to do worse then that now. And last year they had an issue with not blitzing enough. They had 41 sacks in 2011, 44 sacks in 2010 I think that was Suhs rookie year, with 26 sacks in the 0-16 season I think. But it goes to show, its a big issue.

When the secondary is horrible, and we know it is, its going to make it look even worse when the QB isn't getting pressured. Late hits don't count.

We are good against the run, we rank 5th against the run, and were not too far from having the 2nd best run defense in the league. But we do have the 3rd worse pass defense in the league..

Maybe the question should be; is this defensive line being coached to stop the run? And forget about attacking the QB? This line use to be pretty bad against the run in 2011 the Lions were the 11th worst rush defense, last year the Lions had the 17th worst rushing defense, so I'm really wondering if this defense has been coached to stop the run instead of getting at the qb. Yet its safe to say outside of playing the Vikings, this is a passing league.
I just don't believe ours, or any DL is good enough to be great against the run, and get a bunch of sacks as well-

When you've got one of the worst secondaries in the entire league like we've had since Mayhew and Schwartz have resided over the Lions.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
DLF54927


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 832
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but look at all those extra blockers that had to stay in on that 85 yard TD pass by a rookie QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeForChange


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 1823
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many QB hurries and hits do we have?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theuntouchable


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 9373
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
wilson2k3 wrote:
Its bad coaching, bad play calling. Lions have what 16 or maybe 18 sacks on the season now, while the Saints and Bills are up to 37. You gotta really be doing something to not be at least in the middle of the pack. Even last year the Lions only had 34 sacks, they look on pace to do worse then that now. And last year they had an issue with not blitzing enough. They had 41 sacks in 2011, 44 sacks in 2010 I think that was Suhs rookie year, with 26 sacks in the 0-16 season I think. But it goes to show, its a big issue.

When the secondary is horrible, and we know it is, its going to make it look even worse when the QB isn't getting pressured. Late hits don't count.

We are good against the run, we rank 5th against the run, and were not too far from having the 2nd best run defense in the league. But we do have the 3rd worse pass defense in the league..

Maybe the question should be; is this defensive line being coached to stop the run? And forget about attacking the QB? This line use to be pretty bad against the run in 2011 the Lions were the 11th worst rush defense, last year the Lions had the 17th worst rushing defense, so I'm really wondering if this defense has been coached to stop the run instead of getting at the qb. Yet its safe to say outside of playing the Vikings, this is a passing league.
I just don't believe ours, or any DL is good enough to be great against the run, and get a bunch of sacks as well-

When you've got one of the worst secondaries in the entire league like we've had since Mayhew and Schwartz have resided over the Lions.


I think the DL Det has is capable of doing that. I think Ansah being out was bigger than what we had thought it would be. IMO I think Ansah being back in there really opened the floodgates (and an ill advised comment from a dumb Packer).
_________________

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
wilson2k3 wrote:
Its bad coaching, bad play calling. Lions have what 16 or maybe 18 sacks on the season now, while the Saints and Bills are up to 37. You gotta really be doing something to not be at least in the middle of the pack. Even last year the Lions only had 34 sacks, they look on pace to do worse then that now. And last year they had an issue with not blitzing enough. They had 41 sacks in 2011, 44 sacks in 2010 I think that was Suhs rookie year, with 26 sacks in the 0-16 season I think. But it goes to show, its a big issue.

When the secondary is horrible, and we know it is, its going to make it look even worse when the QB isn't getting pressured. Late hits don't count.

We are good against the run, we rank 5th against the run, and were not too far from having the 2nd best run defense in the league. But we do have the 3rd worse pass defense in the league..

Maybe the question should be; is this defensive line being coached to stop the run? And forget about attacking the QB? This line use to be pretty bad against the run in 2011 the Lions were the 11th worst rush defense, last year the Lions had the 17th worst rushing defense, so I'm really wondering if this defense has been coached to stop the run instead of getting at the qb. Yet its safe to say outside of playing the Vikings, this is a passing league.
I just don't believe ours, or any DL is good enough to be great against the run, and get a bunch of sacks as well-

When you've got one of the worst secondaries in the entire league like we've had since Mayhew and Schwartz have resided over the Lions.


I think the DL Det has is capable of doing that. I think Ansah being out was bigger than what we had thought it would be. IMO I think Ansah being back in there really opened the floodgates (and an ill advised comment from a dumb Packer).
That was a horrible GB Packer offense. We'll see what they do against some upcoming tougher matchups, in Philly-Baltimore-NYG.

My feeling is that our secondary is still trash, and one decent game against Matt Flynn and a banged up GB offense didn't do anything to change that opinion.

We'll see if the Lion's DL can continue doing both(dominating against the run, and sacking/pressuring the QB) during that stretch.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 48895
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better secondary would equal more sacks
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theuntouchable


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 9373
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
wilson2k3 wrote:
Its bad coaching, bad play calling. Lions have what 16 or maybe 18 sacks on the season now, while the Saints and Bills are up to 37. You gotta really be doing something to not be at least in the middle of the pack. Even last year the Lions only had 34 sacks, they look on pace to do worse then that now. And last year they had an issue with not blitzing enough. They had 41 sacks in 2011, 44 sacks in 2010 I think that was Suhs rookie year, with 26 sacks in the 0-16 season I think. But it goes to show, its a big issue.

When the secondary is horrible, and we know it is, its going to make it look even worse when the QB isn't getting pressured. Late hits don't count.

We are good against the run, we rank 5th against the run, and were not too far from having the 2nd best run defense in the league. But we do have the 3rd worse pass defense in the league..

Maybe the question should be; is this defensive line being coached to stop the run? And forget about attacking the QB? This line use to be pretty bad against the run in 2011 the Lions were the 11th worst rush defense, last year the Lions had the 17th worst rushing defense, so I'm really wondering if this defense has been coached to stop the run instead of getting at the qb. Yet its safe to say outside of playing the Vikings, this is a passing league.
I just don't believe ours, or any DL is good enough to be great against the run, and get a bunch of sacks as well-

When you've got one of the worst secondaries in the entire league like we've had since Mayhew and Schwartz have resided over the Lions.


I think the DL Det has is capable of doing that. I think Ansah being out was bigger than what we had thought it would be. IMO I think Ansah being back in there really opened the floodgates (and an ill advised comment from a dumb Packer).
That was a horrible GB Packer offense. We'll see what they do against some upcoming tougher matchups, in Philly-Baltimore-NYG.

My feeling is that our secondary is still trash, and one decent game against Matt Flynn and a banged up GB offense didn't do anything to change that opinion.

We'll see if the Lion's DL can continue doing both(dominating against the run, and sacking/pressuring the QB) during that stretch.


I agree, I think our secondary is trash. I just think that Ansah coming backboosted the DL pressure.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group