Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 QB Market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houstonX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I think the best choice would be to select Bridgewater #1 overall if in position, but my god have I seen other boards suggest the Texans take Mariota. I wouldn't like that one bit.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, listening to Russ Wilson interviewing with the MNF football crew....he's such a classy professional and smart as hell. Why couldn't we have taken him! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
20 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Man, listening to Russ Wilson interviewing with the MNF football crew....he's such a classy professional and smart as hell. Why couldn't we have taken him! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Because he was taken in the 3rd round and everyone knows we only take useless scrubs in the 3rd.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maturity is very important at the QB position. Underclassmen that enter often need a year or two to adapt to the pro game. If you want a quick rebound, the best route is acquiring a Veteran. Regardless of the next Coach, it should be somebody who can reestablish the system Kubiak implemented- Stretch Zone, Hard Play Action & also add new wrinkles.

Desperately, Mike Shanahan is trying to get his walking papers from Daniel Snyder to head to Houston. The Staff's already built, he'd have the premier Defensive Player in Football, a Coordinator that would stay on Staff & all he needs is a Quarterback.

Kirk Cousins will be the Texans Quarterback in 2014, which makes the teams top pick available. It'll be the opposite of what Mike had, he'll be in St. Louis shoes looking for somebody to part with a ransom of picks to move up.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Maturity is very important at the QB position. Underclassmen that enter often need a year or two to adapt to the pro game. If you want a quick rebound, the best route is acquiring a Veteran. Regardless of the next Coach, it should be somebody who can reestablish the system Kubiak implemented- Stretch Zone, Hard Play Action & also add new wrinkles.

Desperately, Mike Shanahan is trying to get his walking papers from Daniel Snyder to head to Houston. The Staff's already built, he'd have the premier Defensive Player in Football, a Coordinator that would stay on Staff & all he needs is a Quarterback.

Kirk Cousins will be the Texans Quarterback in 2014, which makes the teams top pick available. It'll be the opposite of what Mike had, he'll be in St. Louis shoes looking for somebody to part with a ransom of picks to move up.

Id VOMIT if ANY of what you said happened
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Because he was taken in the 3rd round and everyone knows we only take useless scrubs in the 3rd.

Sucks that he was picked one picked ahead of us in round 3. We didnt have a 2nd round pick either. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariota is off the table.

Tank for Teddy in full swing

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
22 catches 262 yards
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Mariota is off the table.

Tank for Teddy in full swing

Let's hope, cause winning a game now does no one any good. Also with Mariota staying in school the QB pickings just got slimmer for teams in need thus that #1 overall pick just got more expensive should we choose to trade down.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:

Yeah, I think we're done with trading for a backup. I think the book is out, it fails more than it works. Keep in mind, the guy we're getting rid of is arguably the best of the "former backup traded to become the starter" club.

For as bad as Matt Schaub is, he's worlds better than Kevin Kolb, Rob Johnson, Matt Cassel, AJ Feeley, etc...other backups moved to become the guy for a new team. History is starting to show that it's a waste of a draft pick. (Trent Green and Matt Hasselbeck might be considered as successful, but not exactly world beaters...)

TL;DR - NO to Kirk Cousins.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
squadsright

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. What makes Bridgewater that much better than Cousins?

To draft a QB first overall, he has to be CLEARLY a Franchise QB. A no brainer like Andrew Luck. Otherwise, get the best player available for your team needs. If not sold on Teddy, the Texans could trade back and get another high draft pick. We need stud defensive players who could be starters. Safety is a huge weakness. I'd draft at least 2 in the secondary, plus a LB.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squadsright wrote:
I dunno. What makes Bridgewater that much better than Cousins?

To draft a QB first overall, he has to be CLEARLY a Franchise QB. A no brainer like Andrew Luck. Otherwise, get the best player available for your team needs. If not sold on Teddy, the Texans could trade back and get another high draft pick. We need stud defensive players who could be starters. Safety is a huge weakness. I'd draft at least 2 in the secondary, plus a LB.

Is this really the case though, or have we become conditioned to think that a #1 QB selection HAS to be Luck-esque? Last I checked, Cam Newton is doing well; As is Matt Stafford. Neither of those two guys were as touted as Bridgewater is, but both went #1, and both have made good on that choice.

To be fair, there WON'T be a Luck-esque prospect for another 10 or so years. That's what made Luck so special; He himself was the best prospect since 1998, when Peyton Manning went #1. So why wait when there could be a Ben Roethlensberger, an Aaron Rodgers, a Phillip Rivers, a Drew Brees?

Don't overthink it, don't try to outsmart everyone. If the Texans are at #1, if the position of need is QB, and if Bridgewater tests well...don't look too far into it, pick him and get your #5 jersey made.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your idea ET, how is that working for the Colts? You think they are anywhere near ready for a super bowl? No, their TEAM is just not very good. I do agree qb is VERY important, our team needs quite a bit of help everywhere....so picking a qb and passing on a chance to get a stud on defense could be equally as bad as passing on a qb, BUT what makes it worse is our other pass rushers (not named watt) are terrible. SO IMO its more devastating because you can get by with a slightly less talented qb (isnt that what all you preached about Schaub? That he didn't need to be Manning or Luck?)
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens is Bridgewater decides to return to school because he doesn't want to play for a bad team? Leinert did it, and he was the #1 pick hands down his Jr. year. Having the #1 pick hasn't always worked out so well for the Texans in the past.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
What happens is Bridgewater decides to return to school because he doesn't want to play for a bad team? Leinert did it, and he was the #1 pick hands down his Jr. year. Having the #1 pick hasn't always worked out so well for the Texans in the past.

Then just take Clowney and take a QB in a deeper class in 2015, but I higly doubt Bridgewater is going to stay another year. His stock hasnt been higher and like I said the QB class will be deeper. Plus we only had 1 round picks in the past. I would say Mario worked out for us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Then just take Clowney and take a QB in a deeper class in 2015, but I higly doubt Bridgewater is going to stay another year. His stock hasnt been higher and like I said the QB class will be deeper. Plus we only had 1 round picks in the past. I would say Mario worked out for us.
Well #1, Bridgewater would gladly go to Houston over Jacksonville, and #2 if you're going 1st overall why stay another year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: