Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 QB Market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Underwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we end up with the first pick, I think we should take Bridgewater. The only other option for that spot is Clowney (which I'm not really that opposed).

Someone enlighten me, please. Do the people that think we should take Clowney want him to play 3-4 DE or have us switch to the 4-3?

Also, I don't see a scenario where taking Mathews makes sense. If we are drafting too low for Bridgewater or Clowney, but high enough to take Mathews, how to you justify taking a right tackle so high?

If we are drafting in a spot where Mathews is available, but Bridgewater or Clowney are not, I think you either draft Barr or trade down.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:
If we end up with the first pick, I think we should take Bridgewater. The only other option for that spot is Clowney (which I'm not really that opposed).

Someone enlighten me, please. Do the people that think we should take Clowney want him to play 3-4 DE or have us switch to the 4-3?

Also, I don't see a scenario where taking Mathews makes sense. If we are drafting too low for Bridgewater or Clowney, but high enough to take Mathews, how to you justify taking a right tackle so high?

If we are drafting in a spot where Mathews is available, but Bridgewater or Clowney are not, I think you either draft Barr or trade down.

My support for taking Matthews is outdated. I had based my desire to draft him on a few assumptions that no longer hold true: firstly, that Keenum was the answer and the future at quarterback. Secondly, that Kubiak would remain head coach due to Keenum's success and the misfortune of his stroke. Thirdly, that a significant source of the offensive line's issues were due to the sieve at right tackle, which was a need so dire that drafting one early was worthwhile. And lastly, that Matthews is a right tackle in the mold of Eric Winston at the next level and we'd be getting the best available right tackle in free agency or the draft next year.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is an unpopular sentiment, I don't think we fire Kubiak or Wade Phillips after this season. I think the organization believes we have more talent than our record indicates (and I do too), and looks to re-tool rather than rebuild. That said, I could see a scenario where we look to find our QB via the trade route. Perhaps a guy like Phillip Rivers could be acquired from a rebuilding Chargers team. Or a guy like Nick Foles from Philly. The price would be high but I think that the organization tries to 'win-now' before looking to move a guy like Andre Johnson before the 2015 season.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would we keep Kubiak?

What are people smoking?

Quote:
I think the organization believes we have more talent than our record indicates (and I do too)

How does this support keeping Kubiak in any way? If anything it is a stronger reason to fire his [inappropriate/removed]!

texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Why on earth would we keep Kubiak?

What are people smoking?

Quote:
I think the organization believes we have more talent than our record indicates (and I do too)

How does this support keeping Kubiak in any way? If anything it is a stronger reason to fire his [inappropriate/removed]!

This organization believes in stability. If we truly feel like Kubiak has lost the locker-room and we need to rebuild the franchise, then certainly we will look at firing Kubiak and letting him go. But think for a second about the implications of firing Kubiak and Wade Phillips. We would need to hire a coach that we feel would take this organization in the proper direction. In order to do that, he would be given the latitude to hire his own coaches, implement his own schemes, and ultimately bring in his own players. That will take time to do.

If we finish with the first overall pick and decide it's time to begin the Teddy Bridgewater era in Houston, then Kubiak will likely be gone and we will look to rebuild. But assuming we end up with a top-5 pick, we may not go with a QB, and may look at a veteran for next season. If so, we may give Kubiak one more year.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's anything that would make Bridgewater look like a bust, it would be Kubiak's outdated, predictable, and limited offensive system.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
If there's anything that would make Bridgewater look like a bust, it would be Kubiak's outdated, predictable, and limited offensive system.

And you really think Kubiak will be retained? He's going into the final year of his latest extension and rarely do coaches coach a lame duck year. The either get extended or canned.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
20 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this: After the last Texans/Titans game, if the Texans are slated to pick #1, I am going to put all my stock into Teddy B for this team.

This being said...I would not be bothered in the least with Jadevion Clowney in the first and Tajh Boyd in the 2nd. I have a feeling that Clowney was really doing whatever it took to make sure he made it through this season without a catastrophic injury, and I believe Boyd would have went ahead of EJ Manuel last year (a QB I was VERY high on during draft season, and the first QB off the board last season).

We shall see where the cards fall, but either one of the two above would make me happy.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not realized until this point that part of the discussion entailed here involved what we would do should we land the first pick. I find speculation in this regard to be absurd. If we have the first pick, the obvious choice is Teddy Bridgewater and their ought to be no hesitation nor consideration otherwise.

Bridgewater is head and shoulders above whoever else may enter this draft. Clowney will not impact this team the way Bridgewater will, nor will Anthony Barr, Sammy Watkins, nor Jake Matthews.

Bridgewater has the most complete skillset of any quarterback to arrive on the scene not named Andrew Luck in quite some time. Securing Bridgewater on this roster not only guarantees we've given ourselves a quarterback with a bright future and a comparable skillset to Luck, but also promises quick success given how much stronger this current roster is at key spots than most other teams that have the first overall pick.

Plus, just imagine the legendary decade-long rivalry between Luck and Bridgewater that would be concocted by the media between our two franchises. Houston would finally be given its rightful permanent niche in the BSPN constant news rotation. Bridgewater vs. Luck twice a year would be two guaranteed nationally televised games. Entire swaths of people would be drawn in to root for our franchise because of Bridgewater's name or because of their disenchantment with Indianapolis or because of how illustrious and exciting the rivalry would be. We're talking being able stake an ownership in the next Peyton-vs.-Brady, and I think we'd also be silly not to consider the possibility of legitimate championships being on the horizon.

As exciting as I know it sounds to have both Clowney and Watt on the same defensive line, what good are they together if we miss this opportunity and are the next Cincinnati Bengals: an elite defense weighed down by a quarterback who only sometimes gets it right (Boyd, Mariota, Hundley, Bortles, Keenum... take your pick). You all know as well as I do that the true pain of this season is knowing that we are witnessing the worst coaching job in the history of the NFL -- a painfully inept STAFF, Philips included, given a finely-honed roster ripe with talent, incapable of securing a championship.

I'm tired of it. Give me Bridgewater, give me a coach with a some fire; I'll show you just how fun being a Texans fan can really be.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

And you really think Kubiak will be retained? He's going into the final year of his latest extension and rarely do coaches coach a lame duck year. The either get extended or canned.
No he's definitely getting fired.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I had not realized until this point that part of the discussion entailed here involved what we would do should we land the first pick. I find speculation in this regard to be absurd. If we have the first pick, the obvious choice is Teddy Bridgewater and their ought to be no hesitation nor consideration otherwise.

Bridgewater is head and shoulders above whoever else may enter this draft. Clowney will not impact this team the way Bridgewater will, nor will Anthony Barr, Sammy Watkins, nor Jake Matthews.

Bridgewater has the most complete skillset of any quarterback to arrive on the scene not named Andrew Luck in quite some time. Securing Bridgewater on this roster not only guarantees we've given ourselves a quarterback with a bright future and a comparable skillset to Luck, but also promises quick success given how much stronger this current roster is at key spots than most other teams that have the first overall pick.

Plus, just imagine the legendary decade-long rivalry between Luck and Bridgewater that would be concocted by the media between our two franchises. Houston would finally be given its rightful permanent niche in the BSPN constant news rotation. Bridgewater vs. Luck twice a year would be two guaranteed nationally televised games. Entire swaths of people would be drawn in to root for our franchise because of Bridgewater's name or because of their disenchantment with Indianapolis or because of how illustrious and exciting the rivalry would be. We're talking being able stake an ownership in the next Peyton-vs.-Brady, and I think we'd also be silly not to consider the possibility of legitimate championships being on the horizon.

As exciting as I know it sounds to have both Clowney and Watt on the same defensive line, what good are they together if we miss this opportunity and are the next Cincinnati Bengals: an elite defense weighed down by a quarterback who only sometimes gets it right (Boyd, Mariota, Hundley, Bortles, Keenum... take your pick). You all know as well as I do that the true pain of this season is knowing that we are witnessing the worst coaching job in the history of the NFL -- a painfully inept STAFF, Philips included, given a finely-honed roster ripe with talent, incapable of securing a championship.

I'm tired of it. Give me Bridgewater, give me a coach with a some fire; I'll show you just how fun being a Texans fan can really be.

I'm on the Bridgewater bandwagon with you, if we get the #1 pick. Is it possible to forfeit our remaining games? JK One question though. Is it worth taking Bridgewater this year vs. the QB talent possible in 2015; Brett Hundley, Jameis Winston, or Kevin Hogan? Hopefully we wouldn't have the #1 overall pick next year, so we'd also have to factor in what a trade up would cost. IF, yes a big if, we take Bridgewater #1 overall then I think it's imperative that we also take the best RT available to us, even if we have to trade back into the late 1st round to get a guy like Cameron Erving, Antonio Richardson, Brandon Scherff or Cedric Ogbuehi, etc... We need to upgrade the overall talent level of our O-line, and especially if we take a QB at #1. We don't want another QB running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped or spending a short career on the IR list. I don't think we can count on anything from Brennan Williams (serious doubts that he ever plays a down for us), and I don't want to rely on Newton or Harris either. I hope Quessenberry is our future at LG, but even that isn't certain.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys dont for get we will have a little money to play around with in free agency, RT can be filled via free agency too......so we could go qb then bpa on defense in rd 2. I will start my off-season plan soon.
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
guys dont for get we will have a little money to play around with in free agency, RT can be filled via free agency too......so we could go qb then bpa on defense in rd 2. I will start my off-season plan soon.

Me 2... call it something generic so I can post after yours (or I will do likewise)

Also, IMHO you are correct about RT (my guess is T Anthony Collins out of Cincy).
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'll say this: After the last Texans/Titans game, if the Texans are slated to pick #1, I am going to put all my stock into Teddy B for this team.

This being said...I would not be bothered in the least with Jadevion Clowney in the first and Tajh Boyd in the 2nd. I have a feeling that Clowney was really doing whatever it took to make sure he made it through this season without a catastrophic injury, and I believe Boyd would have went ahead of EJ Manuel last year (a QB I was VERY high on during draft season, and the first QB off the board last season).

We shall see where the cards fall, but either one of the two above would make me happy.

I seen Boyd play tonight vs South Carolina and he looked horrible. I don't want any part of him in round 2 anymore. His stock was higher last season than right now, and I wouldnt be shocked if he fell past round 2. Not a good deep ball for my liking. I'll pass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't fathom not taking Bridgewater should the opportunity present itself. Even when the team was clearly stalling I was imagining a few wins here and there to 'only' receive a top 10 pick.

If we end up with the #1, you take the potential franchise QB and don't look back. Schaub's time has passed, and I don't think we can look at Case and think 'Yes this is it, he is a LOCK franchise QB.' If you can't say that with certanty you take a QB with such a high floor as Bridgewater and roll the dice you get a great QB.

The league rules have and continue to be so tweaked to make the games higher scoring and passing first, its quickly making otherwise well constructed/coached teams irrelevant, if you don't have a top QB you don't compete. (I don't like this, but until they make me NFL Commish...)

While he's not the complete and utter sure thing Luck appeared to be at the time, he is for sure an elite prospect. If you wait for the next Luck, it could be a long time coming.

I hate to see the Texans lose, but it would be in the long term best intrest IMO if we ended up with the #1 and got Bridgewater.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: