Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My first stab at a Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: My first stab at a Mock Draft Reply with quote

Notable players not returning (due to expired contracts or being cut):
Rodger Saffold-OT
Cortland Finnegan-CB
Isaiah Pead-HB

While most people are having Dahl and/or Wells cut, I just don't see that playing in our favor too well. Throwing in several rooking O-linemen at once is a recipe for disaster--especially with Bradford coming off such a bad injury. So yes, Dahl and Wells are getting paid too much, but for now we eat that. Finnegan on the other hand is making wayyyy too much and his play has severely decreased. I like the thought of Johnson and Jenkins as our two main corners and McLeod as our slot/nickel corner. So cutting Finnegan (which I unfortunately do not see happening), would free up a great deal of money for us and allow us to sign a decent free agent. Having Saffold come back and play a guard position would be ideal, but I just don't see it happening. He'll get paid to play more somewhere else to play the position he prefers (all it takes is ONE team to offer that). Regardless, we need to move on at tackle opposite of Long. Pead is done here (and likely in the league in general). He has ruined every opportunity he has had and hasn't been impressive in them either.

Big Free Agent Signing:
Jon Asamoah-OG: I saw a few other people put him in their mocks and I really think it would just be a great move. He's a very good guard (perhaps even a great guard) and would fit in great as a upgrade over Chris Williams. Asamoah is young enough to where he wouldn't be a stop gap player and could actually have some longevity with us here. He was a player I actually liked going into the class he was drafted in. While this move may not be as likely, I would love to see it happen.

Draft
1a: Sammy Watkins--WR--Clemson
I wouldn't exactly call a WR a need, but when I look at our team, I don't see a true number 1 wide receiver. Quick's progression is slower than we had hoped and Givens has regressed, but regardless, neither strike me as a number 1 guy. With us having two first rounders, we don't have to go for our most pressing need with this pick; we can go for a bit of luxury. Watkins is an explosive receiver who would give us a TRUE #1 target for Bradford. If Jake Matthews is here, then yes- we have to consider him, but more than likely he will be gone and even if he isn't, this is a very deep class at OT, which works in our favor. We go BPA here and go Watkins.

1b: HaHa Clinton-Dix--FS--Alabama
To me, this is the one guys that we HAVE to come away with in this draft. With FS being arguably our biggest need and Haha being a top caliber safety, I think we have no choice but to pull the trigger on him if he falls into the laps of our second pick. McLeod has been nice but at the end of the day we need a true center-fielder and reliable last line of defense, which he is not. McLeod can be our nickel/slot corner, which he is more suited for. Clinton-Dix is a ball hawk and a good run stuffer to boot. Our safeties should be set for years.

2: Brandon Scherff--OT--Iowa
With Saffold departing, we have a gaping hole at RT. Luckily for us, this draft class is loaded at OT's which allows us to get a very good one at this spot. While Scherff may not be here, there will be one who presents a great skill set and great value. So if not him, then insert someone else. Scherff is a tough, nasty lineman who would be perfect for Stacy's power running style and keeping Bradford off his back.

3: Michael Bennett--DT--Ohio State
Again, luckily for us, this class is loaded with talent at another position of need for us--defensive tackle. Langford has been up and down this season and while he shouldn't be replaced completely, an upgrade would be nice. Bennett has been a very good penetrating DT this year for Ohio State and would add a great piece to a rotation of Brockers and Langford. This situation is similar to our second rounder: If Bennett isn't here at this spot, there will be another great talent at the position, so if not Bennett, then fill in the blank.

4: David Fales--QB--San Jose State
One thing is obvious. We NEED a backup developmental QB behind Sam, just in case the unspeakable happens again. Clemens has played decent these past couple weeks, but I think the consensus is that NO ONE wants to see him start again. Fales can be that game manager who could come in if needed and not be a huge detriment, yet also make some plays. I'd like to have Fales on this team.

5: Dexter McDougle--CB--Maryland
This pick may be the homer in me, being a Maryland fan but McDougle was playing good football this season and was working his way up towards a higher draft pick and then went out for the season with a shoulder injury which drops him to this spot. If he can pick up where he left off, then we could have ourselves a nice talent at corner for a 5th rounder. Not too shabby in my books.

^El Ramster^
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Fales, but Id be cool with everything else-- although I think with where we will be with the first pick will be Clowney/Matthews territory so if we pass on either of those and take Watkins without a trade down I wont be too thrilled. I have to look more into this OT from Iowa that everyone is raving about.
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be significantly over the cap in this scenario. Finnegan saves $7m, but almost all of that would go to signing JA. This leaves nothing for the rookies.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Scherff pick, he is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I have him in my upcoming mock as well. I think he could end up in the late 1st round though by the time the draft rolls around...

Like RSB99 stated, this scenario doesn't really work out financially...

TommyC376 on the sig...
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
We would be significantly over the cap in this scenario. Finnegan saves $7m, but almost all of that would go to signing JA. This leaves nothing for the rookies.

I don't think we'd be significantly over. If that cap remains static at $123M, we'd be right at it depending on what you think Asamoah gets.

But you also have to consider that the new TV deal starts paying out in 2014 which means more TV revenue which means a salary cap increase.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

I don't think we'd be significantly over. If that cap remains static at $123M, we'd be right at it depending on what you think Asamoah gets.

But you also have to consider that the new TV deal starts paying out in 2014 which means more TV revenue which means a salary cap increase.

Even if we weren't over though, we'd be right up against the cap yet again...

I think they'd be looking to give themselves some flexibility for the unforeseen and moving forward...

TommyC376 on the sig...
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

We're at $122+M in 2014 obligations right now, so for all practical purposes we may as well have no cap space since you need about $500k-$1M as buffer for injuries and whatnot. Finnegan saves us $7 M.

With 2 high first round picks, we're looking at a solid $7M to sign rookies. That means you need to find roughly $5M in net savings in order to sign JA. I don't see how you can do that without cutting 2 of Dahl/Wells/Langford.

Title Town USA wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

We're at $122+M in 2014 obligations right now, so for all practical purposes we may as well have no cap space since you need about $500k-$1M as buffer for injuries and whatnot. Finnegan saves us $7 M.

With 2 high first round picks, we're looking at a solid $7M to sign rookies. That means you need to find roughly $5M in net savings in order to sign JA. I don't see how you can do that without cutting 2 of Dahl/Wells/Langford.

I think Dahl is gone for sure. He might be brought back cheaper but he's gone.

As I said, though, 2014 is the year of new TV money...so there's likely to be a salary cap increase.

ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

As I said, though, 2014 is the year of new TV money...so there's likely to be a salary cap increase.
Would be great, but not something you can count on right now. An extra $5M or so would go a long way. Personally, even if we do get that money, I'm hoping we restructure a few deals to lessen cap hits down the line for guys like Long.

Title Town USA wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

Would be great, but not something you can count on right now. An extra $5M or so would go a long way. Personally, even if we do get that money, I'm hoping we restructure a few deals to lessen cap hits down the line for guys like Long.

It is something that can be counted on. That's how the cap works. It works based off of a percentage of revenue. The guesswork is whether or not that adjustment to it will come in 2014 or 2015.

kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

It is something that can be counted on. That's how the cap works. It works based off of a percentage of revenue. The guesswork is whether or not that adjustment to it will come in 2014 or 2015

Which is why he said you can't count on it. It can't be factored in for 2014 until it's set in stone. I think you're missing what he's trying to say...

In the proposed scenario above, at this point and time, there is a good chance we'll be over the cap limit, or so up against it that we have little to no flexibility...

TommyC376 on the sig...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: