You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D82's Top 5 Breakout Candidates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: D82's Top 5 Breakout Candidates Reply with quote

I'm sure we've all had it with some of the repetitive discussion topics going on...so here we go, my list of our top five breakout candidates for the 2015-2016 NFL season.

Qualifications
- Must have played at least one full season in the league
Yeah...that's basically it.

Breakout Candidates
1a. Tyrone Crawford, DT
1b. DeMarcus Lawrence, DE
2. Joseph Randle, RB
3. J.J. Wilcox, S
4. Terrance Williams, WR
5. Morris Claiborne, CB

^^^El Rammy

Last edited by Desperado82 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:17 am; edited 8 times in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5 Morris Claiborne, CB

A highly-touted prospect coming out of LSU, Claiborne was a player that the Cowboys had as being the highest ranked DB on their boards since Deion and was the 2nd ranked player on their board in the 2012 draft. They coveted him enough to swap 1st round picks with the St. Louis Rams and also gave up a 2nd round pick during the draft in order to acquire him.

Since then, Claiborne has had an average rookie year where he showed some promise, to being a player that most Cowboy fans have all but given up on due to injury, inconsistent performance, and his walkout on the team last season.

However, things seem to have taken a turn for Mo. He has shown up to offseason practices with a better demeanor and an apparent eagerness to prove that he is a much better player than his on-field efforts thus far have shown.

With the Cowboys electing not to pick up his fifth-year option, Claiborne enters what could very well be his last in Dallas barring a Pro Bowl/All-Pro effort. With the Cowboys commitment to improving the DL this off-season, I believe with an improved pass rush the secondary will benefit...and I think a player with Claiborne's playmaking skills will take advantage of this and have a career year.

^^^El Rammy
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this via the twittersphere and it fits in nicely here.

Quote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 8m8 minutes ago
Stephen Jones: Morris Claiborne had "a very good offseason, if not a great offseason. He's really got a chance to have a big year for us."

I'll believe it when I see it, but man, Mo being a late bloomer would go a long ways into helping out the secondary.

Kiltman on the sig & avy
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Seen this via the twittersphere and it fits in nicely here.

Quote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 8m8 minutes ago
Stephen Jones: Morris Claiborne had "a very good offseason, if not a great offseason. He's really got a chance to have a big year for us."

I'll believe it when I see it, but man, Mo being a late bloomer would go a long ways into helping out the secondary.

Mo playing up to potential would certainly help us out. It would free us up to let Jones basically just "roam" and make plays.

^^^El Rammy
-prime-time-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mo your number 1 or number 5?

I used to think he could still be something but after learning that he got down to 149lbs I now no longer think so.

last I heard he was at 172 and still trying hard to get back to his playing weight.

sig by El Ramster
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-prime-time- wrote:

I used to think he could still be something but after learning that he got down to 149lbs I now no longer think so.

last I heard he was at 172 and still trying hard to get back to his playing weight.

Number five.

He stated he was at 172 back in what, May? No reason to think he couldn't add on 18 lbs in 3 months.

^^^El Rammy
-prime-time-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
-prime-time- wrote:

Number five.

He stated he was at 172 back in what, May? No reason to think he couldn't add on 18 lbs in 3 months.

I'm not so much doubting he can get back to playing weight, I just feel like a massive weight loss and gain like that coupled with his surgery can't be good for someone trying to improve. He had to have been completely out of shape this off season.

sig by El Ramster
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: D82's Top 5 Breakout Candidates Reply with quote

I'd imagine the rest of your list would go Wilcox, Lawrence and Crawford (if he isn't considered a breakout already). The last guy being Escobar, Randle, Williams, or Whaley. I don't see a definite choice.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mo actually got his ish together that would be incredible. Unlikely. But incredible.

Especially since this is the last year of his deal. So if he shows his worth we can either keep him - or let him go. If we let him go I'd like a high comp pick. Especially since we are likely to get a 3rd or 4th from Hardy.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
If Mo actually got his ish together that would be incredible. Unlikely. But incredible.

He just needs Larry Allen to treat him the way he treated Jose Cortez. Basically, rip the facemask off of his helmet while he's still wearing it. Or, to try to literally rip his head off while his helmet is still on his head. Whichever.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Superfluous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Terrance Williams (I pray)
2. Claiborne
3. Demarcus Lawrence
4. Hitchens
5. Escobar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously Randle is set up to be this team's huge 'breakout'

for me

1. Randle
2. Lawrence
3. Crawford (non-Cowboy fans are not aware of him)
4. Byron Jones
5. Gregory

sig by El Ramster
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 Terrance Williams, WR

Williams is a player who looks like he could complete our version of Fitzgerald/Boldin. While he had over 600 yards receiving and 8 TDs last year in just his second year in the league, he only caught 37 receptions...leaving many feeling as though he left a lot on the field and some questioning why it seemed as though Romo was "freezing" him out at times.

Then this off-season, Williams admitted to not giving it his all when he thought the ball wasn't coming to him at times throughout the season.

Now, I give Williams props for admitting he didn't perform at his best and stating he would work even harder this year. The guy certainly has the talent to be yet another weapon in Dallas's offensive arsenal if he improves upon a few things (effort/route running).

Word out of the OTAs/mini-camps was that Williams benefited greatly from being the #1 guy while Dez was out with his contract situation. If T-Will can indeed take that next step as a player, it would go a long way in getting some attention off of the Cowboys most dominant weapon (Dez).

^^^El Rammy
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see him in the 60 catch range. As far as taking off a couple plays goes, I'd probably take the play off when we're inside the 10 and Tone comes to the huddle and says Dez, run a fade. Ready... BREAK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really too concerned with HOW many receptions T Williams has as long as they are significant like the one posted above or a TD when Dez is triple covered.

I thought he had close to a breakout season last year. He was the man in the wild card game. In only his 2nd year? That's pretty significant for a number 2 WR.

As far as a list is concerned, here is mine:

1. Sean Lee
2. Mo Claiborne
3. J. Randle
4. G. Escobar
5. B. Jones

1. I say S. Lee because, in spite of his history, he hasn't played a significant number of snaps in 2 years. He has to prove he can meet or exceed his past level of play.

2. Mo Claiborne. We gave up a lot for this kid. He was brought in to be a shut down corner. Perhaps the hype was too much for him and he was a bit overwhelmed? Whatever the reason, he needs to at LEAST be servicable as a DB for me to consider a "breakout year." And I am being generous.

3. J. Randle, some have stated earlier in other posts that he was drafted with the intention of being Murray's replacement. He has shown ability. Let's see him take it to the next level. In all honesty, this team really has no choice but for him to meet that expectation.

4. G. Escobar. We have been thru a plethora of TEs drafted in the top 3 rounds to find that compliment to Witten, with no success. Witten isn't getting any younger. It is about time one pays off.

5. B. Jones. Another CB taken in the 1st round. This NEVER works out for us. Much like the TE situation. But if this kid is as head strong and talented as we are lead to believe, that trend could end right here. Again, in order for our defense to truly have teeth, we need one of these DB's to live up to expectations.

There you have it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: