Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 FA Outlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYCharger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Any chance we admit a mistake, cut Cox and go after Talib, Grimes or either one of the Bears FA corners. Just a thought. Im not convinced that Cox is that bad yet, I think it has alot to do with our coverage/system. Pagano really knows how to make CB's look bad. Brought this up because I read that Cox doesn't have any gauranteed money after this year.

It costs us more against the cap to cut Cox than to keep him. He may not have guaranteed money but that signing bonus proration kills us.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCharger wrote:
Wilkieray wrote:
Any chance we admit a mistake, cut Cox and go after Talib, Grimes or either one of the Bears FA corners. Just a thought. Im not convinced that Cox is that bad yet, I think it has alot to do with our coverage/system. Pagano really knows how to make CB's look bad. Brought this up because I read that Cox doesn't have any gauranteed money after this year.

It costs us more against the cap to cut Cox than to keep him. He may not have guaranteed money but that signing bonus proration kills us.

Pretty much this. Acee's been loving him some prognostication on possible cuts ever since Gehlken took over doing the day-to-day beat-writer stuff from him. Problem is, though KA will very rarely admit it (and when he does it's typically through someone else like Krasovich, Mike G, or Annie), he's not all that wise on how the financial side of things in the league work - and part of that may be that the club has requested a gag on (or won't specifically give out) the way in which cap-hits are divvied up. We actually eat somewhere around an $8m total cap-hit in 2014 if Cox is cut thanks to the proration of the signing bonus he got. Moreover, very, very rarely do you see GM's, especially ones very early in their tenure, give up on a free agent (or early draft pick) after only one season one way or the other.

The solution to the defense is actually pretty simple (aside from injecting some more athletic, play-making talent), it's the exact same type of adjustment that we made with the offense this current season: We're using a scheme/approach that's counter-intuitive to the strengths and more importantly that leaves out weaknesses extremely prone and open to being exploited. We're not scheming around the talent we have, rather trying to force square pegs through needle-eyes. It's something simple enough that McCoy should be able to figure it out and remedy it in a single-offseason (at least to see the kind of turnaround that we saw this season in regard to our offense of the previous two seasons), be it changing staff (i.e. Pagano out) or simply dropping the hammer and insisting in a change in scheme/approach on the defensive side of the ball from Pagano (more press, less soft zone, better use of overloads to cut the field in half for less-experienced QB's, all around emphasis on better technical tackling in camp).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is no chance in hell Cox gets cut this year and he shouldn't. The problem is the scheme, not the talent. I bet with a DC who is willing to play press then the DB's will look far more effective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: