Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kubiak fired after 8 seasons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
Was Kubiak really a bad coach? I mean you guys did make it to the AFC Divisional Round right?

Could this just be a case of horrendous QB play from Schaub?

Kubiak was a really good coach who had terrible luck

Texans would have made 4-5 playoff runs if not for some crazy things. We probably lost 6-7 games in our almost playoff seasons because of kicking mishaps

Kubiak made a pro bowl QB out of a guy who probably should have been a carrer back up

I agree it was time to move in another direction, but to say he was a terrible coach and we won inspite of him is just bitterness towards him

So many things wrong here I don't know where to start, but I just thank goodness that McNair no longer buys into this absurd Cubs-esque "bad luck" theory when it comes to Kubiak which led to this perpetual "if only" mentality with this franchise. Kubiak not only lacked the capacity to coach victories out of teams we were LESS talented than which has led teams like the Giants, Saints, Ravens and others to Super Bowl championships he had the unique capacity to keep inferior opponents within striking distance with his abysmal feel for the game, poor grasp of details like clock management, and complete lack of a killer instinct. The mere fact that you want to give him CREDIT for sticking with a "backup quality" QB for 7 years is almost as absurd as McNair allowing him to shield Schaub from "pressure" by leaving a playoff caliber team with a failed backup clone like TJ Yates and limited UDFA like Keenum as the only fallback options. Harbaugh and Carroll will likely again be duking it out for the Super Bowl this year (AFC is a joke) because they didn't care that Alex Smith was a #1 overall pick or that the team had just spent a bunch of money on Matt Flynn, they did their job which was to win friggin football games.

Kubiak was a good man, and brought respectability to our franchise in many ways, but with an ample 8 year sample size, he is right where I always said he was at 61-64 which is fine if your goal is mediocrity. That was an acceptable goal when we were an expansion franchise that got off to an ugly start, but at a certain point you have to strive for GREATNESS and Kubiak simply was not the guy who would ever get us there. Personally, I think Wade Phillips in his prime was one step ahead of Kubiak as a coach who could get you to consistently "above average," but similarly the sample size has proven out that he's a guy to get you to Wild Card births. It cannot go unnoticed that his DEFENSE was largely responsible for the 2nd half fade last year and playoff loss and he's been exposed with questionable prominent roles for guys like Keo, McCain, Ball, Bradie James, his failure to fix talented but flawed players like Kareem, Mercilus, and Swearinger or find a way to coax more meaningful production out of Barwin, Reed, or even Joseph who has faded.

I for one am hopeful that Bob swings boldly like the 49ers did with Harbaugh and frankly even Chip Kelly is looking pretty good with a 5-2 record with his "backup quality" QB and a defense it would take anyone years to rebuild. I think Bob may have already waited too long as Sumlin, Sarkisian, Peterson, heck even Briles should at least be on the table when discussing bold moves. I don't have a front runner yet, but in terms of "type" I am hopeful we don't go with a retread Del Rio type as I think Andy Reid was a very unique situation with a guy who needed change for change sake and had become his own worst enemy with power into personnel that he doesn't mess with in KC. Fox is the other that fits this model, but again, when Peyton is your de facto OC a great defensive coach like Fox can make things happen. While I don't want a style over substance guy like Ditka or even Cowher (whom I always thought got credit for Lebeau's hard work), I do think that it is the right time for a LEADER that understands the need to occasionally inspire, be bold and bring some swagger, fun, and fearlessness to the field as 8 years of this nervous nelly crap has beaten up the fanbase as much as the players. It's a new day!

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
.Buzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m

Not just changes with Gary Kubiak. Texans terminated contract of special teams coach Joe Marciano.

#BortlesKombat
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Quote:

Not just changes with Gary Kubiak. Texans terminated contract of special teams coach Joe Marciano.

I haven't been this happy in a long time.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
Quote:

I haven't been this happy in a long time.

UK, you're black? Laughing

I agree though Applause Applause Applause

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Quote:

At first, I was Shocked then I was all Applause now am I all Dancing

Honestly, hate to see someone lose a job, but Marciano if anyone deserved to be fired... it was you.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Quote:

YES!!! Today is awesome!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Quote:

#JDI
Texans02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubiak is a good man, so I won't celebrate his firing. However, I think it became clear it was time to move on.

I have to celebrate Marciano being shown the door a little, because that guy has held the job far too long in spite of consistently abysmal performance from our ST and our ST players doing better when they move to other teams.

So what was the straw that broke the camel's back? Was it the humiliating losing streak alone, or was it Kubiak constantly trying to sneak Schaub back in the line-up?

Yes please!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it was time to move on, but to say Kubiak couldn't coach is just bitterness.

As of right now im leaning towards ken wisenhunt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I agree it was time to move on, but to say Kubiak couldn't coach is just bitterness.

your a smart guy but your decision making skills are TERRIBLE, you honestly want Ken or are you just trolling us all?
YellowSCRE4MS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

your a smart guy but your decision making skills are TERRIBLE, you honestly want Ken or are you just trolling us all?

Laughing No deal to Ken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10102000/ken-whisenhunt-radar-houston-texans?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Guess the texans are interested in him and I'm not as dumb as you all think

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10102000/ken-whisenhunt-radar-houston-texans?ex_cid=espnapi_public

That still doesn't make it a good idea, which is really what we're all taking issue with here.
CAS22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumlin hasn't signed his extension yet....

I want O'Brien but his buyout is $6.75MM so who knows if he's leaving Happy Valley.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

That still doesn't make it a good idea, which is really what we're all taking issue with here.

Bingo, hiring Ken would be a stupid decision for this franchise

also, we hired Jed Hughes to assist in the search for the next head coach. Not sure how I feel about that, any inside to this guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: