You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kubiak fired after 8 seasons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Joe_is_the_best


Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 7660
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Really don't want to fire Kubiak till after the season.

If we fire him now it might invigorate the team to 2 or 3 victories putting us out on contention for #1.
Why not? Give the new coaching staff time to evaluate the roster, and get a head start on the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 18142
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Really don't want to fire Kubiak till after the season.

If we fire him now it might invigorate the team to 2 or 3 victories putting us out on contention for #1.
Why not? Give the new coaching staff time to evaluate the roster, and get a head start on the draft.


What new coaching staff? You don't hire a staff a midseason. All that would happen is Wade would be interim HC.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggio7


Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 12804
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Kubiak will get "fired." I think he will leave under health reasons.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 3042
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Really don't want to fire Kubiak till after the season.

If we fire him now it might invigorate the team to 2 or 3 victories putting us out on contention for #1.
Why not? Give the new coaching staff time to evaluate the roster, and get a head start on the draft.


What new coaching staff? You don't hire a staff a midseason. All that would happen is Wade would be interim HC.


I've got no problem with that. I'm under no dillusion that Wade is a great coach, on the contrary he would ensure we get the #1 pick and Kubiak would be gone. Win/win situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4824
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
canyon1 wrote:
Calm down guys my FEAR I have is that we hire Kyle Shanahan bec we wouldnt have to change the offense. and Kubiak would just go to Washington. I dont know why but I see that as a Bob McNair and Kick Smith move.


Smith's short list last time included Mike Sherman and Hue Jackson. Praying for Jackson if the list hasn't expanded.

If Lil Shanny is the guy, my hope is that his domineering father, from whom Kubiak picked up a lot of his more stubborn and wrong-headed coaching tendencies, has been the reason that Washington's offense has tanked in season two of the Robert Griffin era.


If we got Hue Jackson and drafted Teddy Bridgewater with all of our offensive weaponry, we could turn things around pretty quick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 15002
Location: Waterford, WI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenney


Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 11926
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.


I agree with this whole-heartedly, which undergirds my dubiousness regarding moving forward with Smith as a General Manager and my apprehension about just how much this roster will need to be turned over under a new regime.

This system has gone as far as it can go, and moving away from it has serious ramifications. Duane Brown may not be a left tackle in a more power and man based blocking scheme. Chris Myers can't play in a non-zone scheme. Arian Foster is elite in this scheme, but his success is due largely to his preternatural vision and cutback ability, something that is secondary in other running schemes (not to mention his upright running style makes straight-on, inside running something for which he is not well-suited). The bottom-three receivers may all need to be washed-out now that Kubiak's ridiculous emphasis on a receiver's blocking ability will no longer be at the fore in the evaluation process. We will need Tight Ends who may actually serve as reliable, quality blockers, as well.

This season is an unmitigated disaster, and it portends to a much longer rebuilding process than we seem willing to admit at the moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 15002
Location: Waterford, WI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.


I agree with this whole-heartedly, which undergirds my dubiousness regarding moving forward with Smith as a General Manager and my apprehension about just how much this roster will need to be turned over under a new regime.

This system has gone as far as it can go, and moving away from it has serious ramifications. Duane Brown may not be a left tackle in a more power and man based blocking scheme. Chris Myers can't play in a non-zone scheme. Arian Foster is elite in this scheme, but his success is due largely to his preternatural vision and cutback ability, something that is secondary in other running schemes (not to mention his upright running style makes straight-on, inside running something for which he is not well-suited). The bottom-three receivers may all need to be washed-out now that Kubiak's ridiculous emphasis on a receiver's blocking ability will no longer be at the fore in the evaluation process. We will need Tight Ends who may actually serve as reliable, quality blockers, as well.

This season is an unmitigated disaster, and it portends to a much longer rebuilding process than we seem willing to admit at the moment.


I don't think its THAT bad. Many other schemes run our blocking formation (Packers for sure), so the line will be ok, besides replacing Wade and Derek. I think our defense is the problem (outside qb and rt). I think we need STARTERS AT olb, ilb, olb, de, nt, cb, s. MAYBE you can keep Mercilus and kick Reed inside, but right now, both suck. Smith may walk and Mitchel isn't good, I don't care what anyone says. You have Cushing as the only ILB signed through the off-season.

I think the new off-season format (free agency before draft) benefits us the most this year. Fill everything you can in free agency and draft remaining needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 33914
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Really don't want to fire Kubiak till after the season.

If we fire him now it might invigorate the team to 2 or 3 victories putting us out on contention for #1.
Why not? Give the new coaching staff time to evaluate the roster, and get a head start on the draft.


What new coaching staff? You don't hire a staff a midseason. All that would happen is Wade would be interim HC.


I've got no problem with that. I'm under no dillusion that Wade is a great coach, on the contrary he would ensure we get the #1 pick and Kubiak would be gone. Win/win situation.


Why risk it?

Literally no benefit. Ride the cold hand of sucktitude into a 2-14 season and fire the lot of them.

New HC, OC, DC, ST.

Draft Teddy.
Cut Schaub.

Resign JJ Watt.
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 33914
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I miss when Hue Jackson was a HC that other people saw?
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
canyon1


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 720
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hue should not be our HC.... I would be completely ok with him as our OC. Ray Horton is the man we need to be hiring for HC. As for DC someone that has worked with Horton in the fast for many years. I dont know who that is but I am sure someone like that is out there. As for ST coach ...ours has sucked for so long so almost anything is an improvement.

I really don't want RICK SMITH anymore. Sure he has been doing well with the 1st round picks but with how much we trade down for more picks it seems to be a waste bec they normally turn out to be a bust. So the trading down has been pointless. I love to trade down more draft picks the better but when you pick the way we do it almost seems pointless.

As for a GM i would want. Someone from the Bengals organization. Last few years I have been loving their drafts and been a little jealous. I mean look at their draft picks lately and we all had talked about wanting them at some point or another
_________________
My Teams
NFL: Texans
NBA: Pistons
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 43756
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A caller on 790 made a good point tonight. Sure Rick Smith has done a good job with drafting talent in the early rounds, but what the heck has he done in the later rounds?

His 4-7 round draft picks

2007:

CB Fred Bennett
S Brandon Harrison
OT Brandon Frye
OG Kasey Studdard
LB Zac Diles

2008:

OLB Xavier Adibi
DT Frank Okam
S Dominique Barber
QB Alex Brink

2009:

CB/S Glover Quin
TE Anthony Hill
TE James Casey
CB Brice McCain
S Troy Nolan

2010:

LB Darryl Sharpton
TE Garrett Graham
CB Sheddrick McManis
OG Shelley Smith
WR Trindon Holiday
WR/TE Dorin Dickerson

2011:

CB Roc Carmichael
S Shiloh Keo
QB TJ Yates
OT Derrek Newton
DE Cheta Ozougwu

2012:

C Ben Jones
WR Keshawn Martin
DE Jared Crick
K Randy Bullock
OT Nick Mondek

2013:

DE Trevardo Williams
OT David Quessenberry
WR Alan Bonner
DT Chris Jones
TE Ryan Griffin

Only one player has been a major difference maker on our roster that was picked in the late rounds. The jury is still on the 2013 draft picks. Rick Smith is still a pretty good GM, but his late round drafting seem questionable to me.

If we were to fire him after the season, how about bringing in a guy from either the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots or Packers organizations. Teams that have been good year in and year out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texansfan


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5626
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
A caller on 790 made a good point tonight. Sure Rick Smith has done a good job with drafting talent in the early rounds, but what the heck has he done in the later rounds?

His 4-7 round draft picks

2007:

CB Fred Bennett
S Brandon Harrison
OT Brandon Frye
OG Kasey Studdard
LB Zac Diles

2008:

OLB Xavier Adibi
DT Frank Okam
S Dominique Barber
QB Alex Brink

2009:

CB/S Glover Quin
TE Anthony Hill
TE James Casey
CB Brice McCain
S Troy Nolan

2010:

LB Darryl Sharpton
TE Garrett Graham
CB Sheddrick McManis
OG Shelley Smith
WR Trindon Holiday
WR/TE Dorin Dickerson

2011:

CB Roc Carmichael
S Shiloh Keo
QB TJ Yates
OT Derrek Newton
DE Cheta Ozougwu

2012:

C Ben Jones
WR Keshawn Martin
DE Jared Crick
K Randy Bullock
OT Nick Mondek

2013:

DE Trevardo Williams
OT David Quessenberry
WR Alan Bonner
DT Chris Jones
TE Ryan Griffin

Only one player has been a major difference maker on our roster that was picked in the late rounds. The jury is still on the 2013 draft picks. Rick Smith is still a pretty good GM, but his late round drafting seem questionable to me.

If we were to fire him after the season, how about bringing in a guy from either the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots or Packers organizations. Teams that have been good year in and year out.


I think your list demonstrates how good of a job he has done. All you are looking for in those later rounds is special teams guys who can develop into rotational players. If you get lucky you hit on a few gems who end up as bona-fide starters.

There are quite a few of those guys who have played NFL games which is a testament to Rick Smith's drafts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YellowSCRE4MS


Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 1872
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to bring in whoever is in charge of getting those Late round WRs from Green Bay and late round DBs from New England. They hit the nail with those picks especially Green Bay with WRs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 3042
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
A caller on 790 made a good point tonight. Sure Rick Smith has done a good job with drafting talent in the early rounds, but what the heck has he done in the later rounds?

His 4-7 round draft picks

2007:

CB Fred Bennett
S Brandon Harrison
OT Brandon Frye
OG Kasey Studdard
LB Zac Diles

2008:

OLB Xavier Adibi
DT Frank Okam
S Dominique Barber
QB Alex Brink

2009:

CB/S Glover Quin
TE Anthony Hill
TE James Casey
CB Brice McCain
S Troy Nolan

2010:

LB Darryl Sharpton
TE Garrett Graham
CB Sheddrick McManis
OG Shelley Smith
WR Trindon Holiday
WR/TE Dorin Dickerson

2011:

CB Roc Carmichael
S Shiloh Keo
QB TJ Yates
OT Derrek Newton
DE Cheta Ozougwu

2012:

C Ben Jones
WR Keshawn Martin
DE Jared Crick
K Randy Bullock
OT Nick Mondek

2013:

DE Trevardo Williams
OT David Quessenberry
WR Alan Bonner
DT Chris Jones
TE Ryan Griffin

Only one player has been a major difference maker on our roster that was picked in the late rounds. The jury is still on the 2013 draft picks. Rick Smith is still a pretty good GM, but his late round drafting seem questionable to me.

If we were to fire him after the season, how about bringing in a guy from either the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots or Packers organizations. Teams that have been good year in and year out.


The jury is still out on the 2013 picks, but many of the other players have been serious contributors. James Casey, Jared Crick, Keyshawn Martin, Ben Jones, Yates, Keo, Carmichael, Sharpton, McCain etc... Many of these and other players aren't necessarily starter level players but have made some serious contributions. I also wonder if it's bad picking of these players by Rick Smith or the inability to coach a player up by our coaching staff. There don't seem to be many players that were ever able to take their game to a better level after getting here. Is that on Rick Smith or the coaching staff?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group