Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ramssuperbowl99's Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Ramssuperbowl99's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

So this year isn't really what many fans envisioned, and with 2 premium picks plus some dead money coming off the books (GOODBYE JASON SMITH), I think this is the offseason where we can truly start to say, "this is our year".

First things first, team goals for the offseason.

The overall identity of this team will be somewhat reminiscient of the Chicago Bears teams of 5-6 years ago (with upside at the QB spot). Excellent special teams, great defense, and a power running identity should finally give Sam Bradford the weapons he needs to excel, and even if he is simply above average, this team should win 9-11 games.

Arrow Improve run defense, particularly on the right side

This will be accomplished in a few ways. The first is easy - extra experience for a young defensive line combined with an improved offense should limit the number of rushing snaps they face and simultaneously prevent them from getting too tired out. To further remedy the exhaustion factor, depth and skill at the DT position will be addressed.

The Rams rank a very solid 10th and 12th when opponents rush to the left (Robert Quinn is a god), but rank a much more disappointing 20th and 22nd when opponents rush to the right side. In terms of personnel, part of this is simply not fixable as Chris Long more than offsets this deficiency in his game with his tremendous pass rush ability. However, that other DT position is much more upgrade-able.

Arrow Improve rushing game up the middle and to the right side

The Rams rushing game to the left side is quickly developing into a force (Jake Long is also a god), ranking first in the NFL off the left end and 9th to left tackle. Rankings of 17th and 28th on the right side need to be addressed, and given that the OT is a chief source of this error, will need to be addressed early.

In addition, developing the interior OL has become an area of emphasis in the offseason. While no one likes going into a season with a new OL, the extra picks the Rams have are a luxury in this department that are quite handy given the cap situation.

Arrow Upgrade secondary personnel to allow for increased bump-and-run CB usage

Despite Cortland Finnegan being a walking doormat for WRs this season, often being assigned to the best WR and coming in at a horrible 31st in pass defense against the #1 wideout. Despite this, the Rams actually rank in the top 15 of pass defense this season overall. However, that one area of weakness points out in dramatic fashion that upgrades are in order. Trumaine Johnson has demonstrated he can come in and be a solid CB opposite Janoris Jenkins, but the FS spot is an area of sore weakness.

Other goals this season that aren't quite as pressing include:
1. Establishing a back-up QB, particularly a developmental QB
2. Find an upgrade along the WR core
3. Bring in an upgrade at the strong side LB spot
4. Groom an internal replacement for both Jake and Chris Long, who's contracts becomes much more up in the air starting in 2015
5. Bring in a home-run hitting change of pace back
6. Bring in a fullback (this isn't hard)
7. Bring in a developmental CB to groom as a nickel back

Now that we know what we need to do, we can talk about how we want to do it.

First up, the unpleasant part, cuts.

The Rams have virtually no cap space unless they make some cuts, so this is a necessity. Further, they have a few key players that are not worth their salaries, so without further adieu, here's the list:

1. Cortland Finnegan ($7 M cap savings)
2. Scott Wells ($4.5 M cap savings)
3. Harvey Dahl ($4 M cap savings)
4. Kendall Langford ($4 M cap savings - will be brought back)

There will be other savings (bye-bye Isaiah Pead), but these are the key ones. Before you ask why I would cut Langford when DT depth is such an issue, it's to bring him back at less.

With a total of $19.5 M in savings, the Rams still don't have that much room for FAs given their draft pick situation. With 2 first round picks (and high ones at that), the Rams will also have to save about $9 M of this money to sign their draft picks and maintain some buffer for flexibility during the season. This gives them just over $10.5 M to work with.

FA Signings:
Jon Asamoah, RG, 5 years/$30 M ($6 M cap value)

In my opinion, the Rams need a fairly extensive overhaul of their offensive line, but instead of focuses on band-aids like a Dahl or Wells, they go big time and bring in a legitimate stud. Asamoah is one of the most underrated players in the NFL. He's quite good in pass protection, but what really makes me love the fit is his ability in the run game. He is excellent pulling to the left side, allowing the Rams to continue to emphasize running to Jake Long's side and can take most DL one-on-one with no problem. Given that the Rams will have a new starting RT and C, it's important for me to get an established player between them. At 26, this isn't just a short term move either.

Kendall Langford, LDT, 1 year, $2 M ($2M cap value)

Langford has been productive enough to earn another nice payday, just not quite what he would have been paid on his original deal. Being put in a deeper rotation should help alleviate some of the concerns about his age.

We have an extra $3 M to work with, and I could see that being divided among a backup QB (if no draft pick is used), an OLB (though with the exception on Dunbar, there are no real fits), or even a S. I will rather pocket the money for now, perhaps even restructuring a contract to help us in the future, but you can assume it goes to one year deals on whichever under-the-radar veteran you like the most.

The Draft:
The key part of any offseason, the Rams have a ton of ammo to work with this draft.

Pick 1a, 5th overall (from WSH): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

No major surprise here. In my opinion, this is the most complete OT to come out of the draft in a long while, and having him slip to number 5 is a major coup for the Rams. Matthews has a very well-built 6'5", 305 pound frame and offers virtually no weaknesses in his game. His technique is outstanding, he's solid in both the run and pass game, he rarely makes mistakes, and he's among the smartest players you'll see with a tremendous motor to boot. There is no reason he couldn't step in and be a productive player from day 1.

TRADE: Rams trade pick 1b (8 overall) for the 19th pick and 51st pick.

While we could land an impact playmaker at 8, there really isn't anyone that fits our needs. By trading down to one of the OT hungry teams (that missed out on Matthews muahaha), we put ourselves in a spot to add a playmaker and get a 2nd round pick to boot.

Pick 1b, 18th overall: Ra'Shede Hageman, LDT, Minnesota

Given my emphasis on improving the rushing defense to the right side, you might be confused as to why I didn't stand pat at 8 and take Louis Nix. Quite simply, I don't think he's a fit for the 4-3 defense. He's a great athlete and has a surprising amount of pass-rushing ability for a 340 pound man, but that ability would largely go to waste in our scheme. Hageman, on the other hand, is going to be supremely disruptive. His major concerns include conditioning, which is always a red flag, but he'll be able to take enough plays off between Langford and Brockers, and with Long and Quinn on the outside will almost always have only 1 blocker to beat. He's not only going to be able to help stop the run (and not just limit gains, but provide a solid source of TFLs), he'll provide an extra boost in the pass rush as well. This is a bit of a luxury pick, no question about it, but having these additional first rounders really has provided the Rams with a foundation along the defensive front.

Pick 2a, 40th overall: David Yankey, LG, Stanford

I love this guy. Typical Stanford OL in almost every sense of it: he's mean, barrel-chested, entirely neckless, just angry enough, with a 40 pound butt that lets him drive DL away like they were nothing. He's really developed the pulling aspect of his game, and his ability to seal edges on the right side is definitely noteworthy (particularly when one of my goals was to improve this team's ability to go to the right side in the running game). Balance and getting to the second level are still things to work on, but I think that's easily fixable with good coaching (which we have in spades). A former offensive tackle, I'm not worried one bit about him holding his own in pass protection. Even if there are some struggles, having Jake Long to his left is going to go a long way to minimize their impact. Another Day 1 starter.

Pick 2b, 51st overall: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

Cortland Finnegan is on his way out of football, so what better thing to do than take the closest thing to him in the draft? Dennard has the "Little Brother" mentality to the T, playing really physical bump and run coverage consistently. He doesn't back down from any receiver, and at 5'11", 190 he'll be able to hold his own with the physical WRs in the NFC West. I also love his ability in the run game - he sheds blocks as well as anyone and isn't afraid to stick his head in there and lay the lumber. He's also well coached in terms of going for strips and finishing picks, meaning you could see an increase in turnovers generated. Given that I want to play more bump-and-run, he's a great scheme fit to boot.

Pick 3, 72nd overall: Tre Boston, S, North Carolina

The Rams FS situation is a disaster right now. Boston is a former corner who has played S the past few years, and as you'd expect from a CB convert, has shown great ball skills, the ability to force turnovers, enough raw coverage ability to go man on man occasionally, and has struggled a little bit providing run support. Given that the DL and LB will likely be much stronger against the run, I'm not too worried about the lack of run support and am more excited about him as the last line of defense. His range should allow our DBs to play more aggressively, and that's just a massive improvement for this defense.

Pick 4, 104th overall: Seantrel Henderson, RT, Miami

I can already hear you guys: "but Rams, we already have bookend tackles with Long and Matthews, why are we taking another one?" Quite simply, because this guy in Bourdreau's scheme is going to be a monster. At some point in the relatively near future, Jake Long won't be producing like he is now. Jake Matthews will immediately step in on the left side of the OL, but who is going to take over on the right side? Henderson has perfect size for a RT at 6'8", 345 pounds. He's got a little too much baby fat, but that's not a problem for the Rams, who will stash him away. His natural strength is ridiculous, but he needs to develop the bend and leverage necessary to translate into the running game. He also needs to work on the bend in the pass game as well, but there's more upside here than you'd think given his size. He's actually a better pass blocker than a run blocker at this stage of the game.

You take him, wait 2 years, and watch as your internal replacement becomes a monster. The conditioning and work ethic are legitimate concerns, but I think going in the 4th round will light a fire under him big time, and in our scheme this kid could flourish.

Pick 5, 136th overall: Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon

In a really poor year for OLBs on the FA front, the Rams are going to struggle to get above-average production out of the position provided Dunbar isn't back. Lokombo is a great athlete with some upside and ability to rush the passer, and should also be able to help provide support against the run. He's fast enough where he could see some special teams play as well.

Rounds 6 and 7 are up to you, honestly. Most of our needs (with the exception of FB and a backup QB) have been addressed.

Here is the projected starting lineup:

QB - Sam Bradford
HB - Zac Stacy, Daryl Richardson
WR - Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Stedman Bailey
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks
OL - Jake Long, David Yankey, Barrett Jones, Jon Asamoah, Jake Matthews

DL - Chris Long, Ra'Shede Hageman, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn (good luck)
LB - Alec Ogletree, James Lauranitis, Boseko Lokombo
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Darqueze Dennard
S - Tre Boston, TJ McDonald

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
jjab360

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people understand how much of a risk you would be taking by trying to completely revamp the offensive line.

The best O-lines in the NFL aren't the ones with the most top draft picks and high-priced Free Agents, but the ones who have been playing together the longest and have the most experience. Adding a ton of young players on the O-line is just like adding a ton of young players at WR. Not only do you not know what you're going to get, but there's almost guaranteed to be a ton of rookie mistakes on a unit that could possibly get Bradford hurt again.

Our O-line has actually been good this year, as in top 12 good, if we replace Williams at LG and add another depth player that can backup at RT/RG, then we really don't need to throw any more resources at it than that.

Dahl and Wells have more left in the tank than people think, interior O-linemen have the longest shelf life in the NFL other than QBs, Ks, and Ps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with jjab. An overhaul of the oline is simply a huge step back when it's actually a strength of this team.

And I really don't understand how everyone thinks Yankey will last until the Rams second RD pick. Also, with ATL likely picking ahead of STL I can't see them passing on Matthews. Good mock, but unrealistic.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love some of it and hate some of it.

No good developmental/backup QB again would be a risk we cannot take. I am cool with the trade down and landing Rashede, but using the extra 2nd on a corner (McLeod can play slot corner) isnt great value IMO. Also Im not sold on Boston and there are other S prospects I like more. Also 3 OL in one draft AND big money OL FA signing for Fisher is highly unlikely.

Also, where the heck is Austin Pettis?

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Brett Hundley
3. Jameis Winston
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
I don't think people understand how much of a risk you would be taking by trying to completely revamp the offensive line.

The best O-lines in the NFL aren't the ones with the most top draft picks and high-priced Free Agents, but the ones who have been playing together the longest and have the most experience. Adding a ton of young players on the O-line is just like adding a ton of young players at WR. Not only do you not know what you're going to get, but there's almost guaranteed to be a ton of rookie mistakes on a unit that could possibly get Bradford hurt again.

Our O-line has actually been good this year, as in top 12 good, if we replace Williams at LG and add another depth player that can backup at RT/RG, then we really don't need to throw any more resources at it than that.

Dahl and Wells have more left in the tank than people think, interior O-linemen have the longest shelf life in the NFL other than QBs, Ks, and Ps.

Ok, think about this then...we'd have 4 young OLs that will be with us for the foreseeable future instead of two veterans that are nearing the "over the hill" designation that will need to be replaced.

So yea, it's a risk for 2014 but the argument you're making would also argue it's a good move for the future beyond 2014.
-------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the draft, I don't like that we failed to address the QB position. I also thought Tre Boston played like complete poop against South Carolina this year so that definitely affects my opinion of him.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
I'm aware. This unit would be below average starting the year, even with outstanding play from Jake Long.

jjab360 wrote:
You can make this argument about adding rookies anywhere. Alec Ogletree has been below average this year, for example. But you deal with that because his production in future years is well worth the temporary downgrade.

jjab360 wrote:
Looking at the overall OL grade is silly since I'm not replacing everyone on it. Outside of Long, they've been well below average. We're among the worst teams in the league in terms of running to the right side, we're below average in terms of pass protection on the right side, and even you readily admit that we need to upgrade the LG situation.

jjab360 wrote:
They sure as hell aren't worth what we are paying them. If you would want to bring back Wells at the C spot for the veteran minimum, that's fine. But like I said in my write up, I'd rather fix the problem than stick another band aid on it.

Title Town USA wrote:
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
No good developmental/backup QB again would be a risk we cannot take. I am cool with the trade down and landing Rashede, but using the extra 2nd on a corner (McLeod can play slot corner) isnt great value IMO. Also Im not sold on Boston and there are other S prospects I like more. Also 3 OL in one draft AND big money OL FA signing for Fisher is highly unlikely.

I get the concern with the lack of a backup QB. I certainly never want to watch Kellen Clemens again.

Here's the problem though - who would we take? I think we can agree that the OL is a substantially higher priority than a backup QB. So who is around at 51? AJ McCarron? I'd rather deal with a journeyman for a year than put a 2nd round or high 3rd round pick into a guy who is never going to be an NFL starter. The problem is, most of the guys we'd want (the Derek Carr's of the world) are going to be gone by 51.

Pettis would be buried on this depth chart. No disrespect to him, but the WR reps need to be going to Austin/Cook/Quick/Givens. Maybe he beats out Bailey for the 4th option.

Title Town USA wrote:
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
As far as the draft, I don't like that we failed to address the QB position. I also thought Tre Boston played like complete poop against South Carolina this year so that definitely affects my opinion of him.
I'd have liked to put more resources into the QB and S position. See what I wrote above on the QB side of things.

Unfortunately, this year for safeties it's Haha in the mid-first or a whole lot of meh.

Title Town USA wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
I'd have liked to put more resources into the QB and S position. See what I wrote above on the QB side of things.

Unfortunately, this year for safeties it's Haha in the mid-first or a whole lot of meh.

I'm not yet even sold on Clinton-Dix. For me, the best option is probably a CB/S hybrid type player like Joyner, Exum, Olomu, etc.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

I get the concern with the lack of a backup QB. I certainly never want to watch Kellen Clemens again.

Here's the problem though - who would we take? I think we can agree that the OL is a substantially higher priority than a backup QB. So who is around at 51? AJ McCarron? I'd rather deal with a journeyman for a year than put a 2nd round or high 3rd round pick into a guy who is never going to be an NFL starter. The problem is, most of the guys we'd want (the Derek Carr's of the world) are going to be gone by 51.

Pettis would be buried on this depth chart. No disrespect to him, but the WR reps need to be going to Austin/Cook/Quick/Givens. Maybe he beats out Bailey for the 4th option.

So he is going to go from #1 this year to getting burried and/or getting cut? That doesnt make sense.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Brett Hundley
3. Jameis Winston
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I'm not yet even sold on Clinton-Dix. For me, the best option is probably a CB/S hybrid type player like Joyner, Exum, Olomu, etc.
Boston has CB experience as well, it's part of the reason I selected him.

DEE RAWL wrote:
So he is going to go from #1 this year to getting burried and/or getting cut? That doesnt make sense.
That's what happens when you spend the 33rd and 8th overall picks on his position in back-to-back years.

Title Town USA wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

DEE RAWL wrote:
That's what happens when you spend the 33rd and 8th overall picks on his position in back-to-back years.

Yea, like I said though, my opinion of Boston has been affected by how badly SC burnt him and NC this year. Is that fair? Probably not.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

DEE RAWL wrote:

Yeah and he still beat out the 33rd pick for the starting spot 2 years in a row and he wasnt even taken by this FO/coaching staff so what does that tell you?

I can understand if they brought in a FA or draft pick to take his place but in your scenario offseason they havent.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Brett Hundley
3. Jameis Winston
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Yeah and he still beat out the 33rd pick for the starting spot 2 years in a row and he wasnt even taken by this FO/coaching staff so what does that tell you?

I can understand if they brought in a FA or draft pick to take his place but in your scenario offseason they havent.
If Austin Pettis is really starting, then our WR core is in trouble. I'm projecting Quick to take another step forward. Austin will certainly start over him. Like I said before, he could beat out Bailey, but the 4th WR doesn't see much time in this offense anyway due to Jared Cook.

I can't believe you're getting so riled up about Austin Pettis.

Title Town USA wrote:
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

If Austin Pettis is really starting, then our WR core is in trouble. I'm projecting Quick to take another step forward. Austin will certainly start over him. Like I said before, he could beat out Bailey, but the 4th WR doesn't see much time in this offense anyway due to Jared Cook.

I can't believe you're getting so riled up about Austin Pettis.

Oh no, Im not getting worked up I apologize if it came off that way. Im simply saying I dont see him losing his job if we dont bring in anyone else. If there was a time for him to lose his job to someone on the roster currently (Quick) it would have been this year. And I know he isnt flashy or big name, but he is the most reliable and polished WR we have.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Brett Hundley
3. Jameis Winston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: