Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Honey Badger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTPanthersFan58

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Honey Badger Reply with quote

Just wondering, how was Tyrann Mathieu played this season? I knew he was going to go mid or late in the draft because of his "attitude" which is absurd to me since he's a top talent on defense. Was really hoping Carolina was going to take him with the 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Annnnndddd you've been siged.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been ok, he has been getting vastly overrated because of who he is but he has been descent. He gives up catches but normally pulls the guy down in a second. Pretty good for a rookie though I guess. Definitely a lot of room for improvement

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
He's been ok, he has been getting vastly overrated because of who he is but he has been descent. He gives up catches but normally pulls the guy down in a second. Pretty good for a rookie though I guess. Definitely a lot of room for improvement

Pretty tough to win rookie of the month by just playing "ok" Wink

But you're right. He's had his fair share of rookie mistakes and has struggled in coverage. But he is an excellent tackler and an effective blitzer and has made some huge plays so far this season.

I couldn't be happier with how he has performed and I think he has a very bright future on this team.

About time he got in the end zone though!
younggun1273

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has let up some passes in coverage but has shown to be a surprisingly good tackler for his size and has made some plays in the secondary as well. He has been a good player and I think he is going to develop nicely as a playmaking safety for us.

Justo on the sig
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him as well, his coverage needs work, but we knew that when he was drafted.

sig made by mike23md
younggun1273

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind is that he did not play safety in college. He is still learning how to play the safety position and can only get better as he gets more comfortable and learns more about the position.

Justo on the sig
biggio7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to jump in for the Cards fans but he is the same player he was in college. You are describing the same way he played. I knew how he'd be. I wanted him in Houston but his place was with PP and the Cards. From what I've been reading though, he is playing more slot and nickel not so much at safety. Is this true? If true, he's not really learning a new position just a different defense. He played all over the field at LSU. He didn't play deep safety but at times he was a rover and played the middle of the field. He was always around the ball. His instincts were a big part of it but also, teams went at him too cause he wasn't the best in coverage. But he is a sure tackler and seemed to make a big play more often than not when it counted.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
Not to jump in for the Cards fans but he is the same player he was in college. You are describing the same way he played. I knew how he'd be. I wanted him in Houston but his place was with PP and the Cards. From what I've been reading though, he is playing more slot and nickel not so much at safety. Is this true? If true, he's not really learning a new position just a different defense. He played all over the field at LSU. He didn't play deep safety but at times he was a rover and played the middle of the field. He was always around the ball. His instincts were a big part of it but also, teams went at him too cause he wasn't the best in coverage. But he is a sure tackler and seemed to make a big play more often than not when it counted.

Early in the season he was playing mostly nickel and slot, but he's started to play a lot more safety in recent weeks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

Early in the season he was playing mostly nickel and slot, but he's started to play a lot more safety in recent weeks

That's good. Whatever keeps him on the field. I'm pulling for him, obviously.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
shawn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to elaborate a bit more, on his coverage.

One on one coverage has never really been his strong suit. Even before he got kicked out of LSU he was not really ever projected to be a number one, lockdown type of corner. He is decent in coverage, an surprisingly good tackler, and can also contribute on pash rushing. I think Arians is trying to make the safety thing work just to have the guy on the field at all times, because his playmaking ability is out of this world. But his coverage needs adjustments whether he is playing FS or in the nickel. Being a playmaker is not enough for this league.

sig made by mike23md
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's things like this...

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/2805/ftp-mathieu-feels-teams-avoid-his-side

that aren't going to help Tyrann. He's got to know that he's under a microscope and you don't go drawing a bunch more attention to yourself with this sort of crap in the media - especially when you made a dumb rookie mistake that resulted in a 70 yard TD on Sunday.

I like the heads-down / just going about his business as a rookie learning the NFL Tyrann ... he's been good and I really like his instincts already as a rookie, but what he doesn't need is the wrong type of media attention going forward.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the confidence and the competitiveness of the kid.

He wants to be challenged, tested at every chance.

He is one of my fav players atm
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

Not really. It is still just 4-5 snaps a game, a rarely are any of those in any kind of a traditional safety role. He plays in an around the box on a great majority of his plays.

His instincts, athleticism and tackling make him a force in the running game from the slot, he can blitz and create pressure. He is an average cover guy who will make tackles.

That is exactly the guy he was at LSU minus the big time PR's and less turnovers forced. If we can get more turnovers out of him his value is going to shoot upwards, but as of now, we essentially have a starter, as a rookie, in the 3rd round. I don't think we can complain too much about that.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: