Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another Season Over?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Another Season Over? Reply with quote

I was sitting today at work thinking of how many times our season was in essence done for the year around the half way mark, and as most of you (those that have been here the last 10-12 years know) this around the time we start looking toward the draft, or even next season.
How nice would it be to be a team like the Saints or Colts (who spent 1 season in the dumps but are back right where they were when Manning was running things, now under the flagship that is Luck at 7-3 and went 11-5 his first season as the Colts QB) we seem to not be able to get it right in South Beach (unless the ball is round and shooting for hoops, seems like finding the endzone is taboo here) Our recent loss has me looking to the draft and wondering what is next for us, hence the reason I got thinking, and it has been so for the last several seasons. Other teams get it (Colts) why cant we get it together and really make this once great ball club shine bright like its states name sake?

So to my point, I am convinced we are done with this season and I think we win 2-3 more games with 4 being the cap, leaving us where we always are 7-9/8-8. I ask you will we as a team ever get it right, or are we stuck to live in the basement of our division rebuilding every 2-3 years to finish in the middle of the pack? Will we see the playoffs soon or are we to wait another 5-6 years until we luck up and get a "Wild Card" spot, I really think we have a lot of work to do, and it starts from the top down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if its cus i am a dolphins fan,but its extremely had to watching a miami game atm. They stink and dont play good football. I actually was watching the raiders/giants game and even tho they both arent that good it was better than watching miami play.

hard to say if we ever get it right, its been over 10 years and we havent. With how bad our line play is atm, prolly still 2 years away from doing much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its what an ineffective GM does to a team....when you move out proven talent and strong leaders and you fail to hit on draft picks in the second and 3rd round you are destined for mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I support Ireland, gave him the benefit of the doubt, only to see yet another slate of ineffective drafting. How can a team be playing this poorly and not have any rookies able to get significant playing time?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
I dunno if its cus i am a dolphins fan,but its extremely had to watching a miami game atm. They stink and dont play good football. I actually was watching the raiders/giants game and even tho they both arent that good it was better than watching miami play.

hard to say if we ever get it right, its been over 10 years and we havent. With how bad our line play is atm, prolly still 2 years away from doing much.

Eh?

Excuse me but I don't quite get this sentiment. Surely the team has issues (chief among them, the offensive line), but I in no way think Miami is playing "bad". My pre-season prediction for this team was 7-9, which was around the expectations of most other Dolphins fans on this board, and we seem to be on pace or close to it at least. Also, aside from one game (at New Orleans), we've been competitive pretty much all game so it's not like this team doesn't have its moments. To me, this team is just incredibly (and frustratingly) medicore, but that's how I assessed them before the season anyway.

I think a lot of this "we suck" sentiment comes from starting 3-0 and raising expectations of hopeful fans. And then Bullygate just made matters worse. Personally I'm going to keep watching for the rest of the season and hope we can improve. I'm disappointed as well, but it's not like most of us didn't expect an up and down season.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nacho in some respects, (I myself said 9-7 this season) starting 3-0 did do a lot to get some of us excited about this season.
What I am saying is year in year out being in the middle, the ending result is always the same, another year gone and the Dolphins right in the middle, if what we are doing is not working (proven as it happens each season) can we learn, will Ross say ok, we need to do something different cause what we are doing is not cutting it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah right my mistake, i didnt realize rushing for 2 yards for an entire game, letting a 3rd string running back rush for like 5 ypc, and letting the tampa defense in the backfield as soon as they snap the ball was good football.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
ah right my mistake, i didnt realize rushing for 2 yards for an entire game, letting a 3rd string running back rush for like 5 ypc, and letting the tampa defense in the backfield as soon as they snap the ball was good football.

There are certainly some things we are doing bad, I mentioned the offensive line which is the major issue our running game struggles most of the time. But overall, we aren't playing "bad football". I mean, if every team in the NFL was judged by the thing they do worst, in the worst game they played, I don't think there is a single team out there playing good football. Not one.

Also I never said we were playing "good football," you were the one making the assertion, I was just disagreeing with it. What I said is we're playing to our overall talent level, medicore. Of course some units (the defensive secondary for example) are playing good. It is easy to get sucked into all the doom and gloom after dropping to a winless team and being in the middle of this bullying controversy, but let's not forget the rest of the season. We're 4-5. Like all teams hovering around .500, we have our strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs.

I honestly think if we had virtually any other team's offensive line we would be 6-3 or better right now. But sadly, we have ours... and it's been our Achilles heel this whole year (which is really annoying considering virtually everyone knew it was our largest area of need this off-season, and something we didn't address even with all the money we threw around... it should surprise no one that it sucks).

Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically speaking teams that are 4-5 make the playoffs 11% of the time. So is the season lost? From a playoff stand point its not looking good as we are now in a must win probably every game mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is your emotions cloud logic and every time someone points it out the overly sensitive ego takes over and the whole point is missed. The illusion is that you have just been insulted. The reality is you've been offered a solution.

Stop reinvesting yourself into the Miami Dolphins (or any sports franchise) on a season to season basis. All team building is a multi year plan and each season is supposed to represent a different level of development depending on your roster.

When the current coaching staff was hired and the current system was implemented, I knew immediately the Parcells effect had to be repaired and there would be growing pains. But I told myself that as long as we where better than we where the year before I would ride with the team. But because of an overly emotional trigger finger fan base and an owner who may be tapped in, I may have to remake this commitment in 2014. That's the sad part for me. 4-5 and listing to everyone cry for the reset button. It's like watching someone play a video game and they keep starting over when they don't hit the ground running.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best think for everyone is to stop following the team so close. As hard as it will be, take a step back. Dont look at their off season moves and just watch when you have a chance. It hit me today. There is nothing wrong with the coaching, its the players. I have never seem a worse screen team. That would be the perfect play for a team giving up so many sacks. Rule number one in constructing a team, invest and secure the O and D-line. You cannot do anything without a line.
Russ57

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets pretend we are the GM of the dolphins in 2013. If I am not mistaken these are the draft picks:

1st Round (Assigned #12 Overall)
2nd Round (Assigned #42 Overall)
2nd Round (Colts Subject to change)
3rd Round (Assigned #77 Overall)
3rd Round (Chicago #82 Overall)
4th Round (Assigned)
5th Round (Assigned)
7th Round (Assigned)
7th Round (Dallas Ryan Cook)

We have Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, and Sean Smith. You don't "have" to get rid of them. The money is there to keep them.

Ireland decided to part company with all the guys above and to spend big in FA. Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler, Dustin Keller, Tyson Clabo, and Brent Grimes were added.

Now imagine you are the GM. You know what talent you have, the number of draft picks you have, and the money you can spend on FA's. You should be licking your chops. You should be able to add enough talent, given what you have to work with, to make a big impact.

We know what impact Ireland's choices have made so far. Here are the draft picks:
1 - Dion Jordan (has played very little), 2 - Jamar Taylor (hasn't done anything really), 3 - Dallas Thomas (hasn't seen the field), 3 - Will Davis (hasn't done anything really), 4 - Jelani Jenkins (again hasn't done much), 4 - Dion Sims (has played some but hasn't been impressive by any means), 5 - Mike Gillislee (hasn't done anything), 5 - Caleb Sturgis (the only starter of the bunch so far) 7 - Don Jones (special teams contributor)

So let me see, out of nine draft picks we netted one starter (kicker), one guy that has played limited minutes and shown the potential to be an impact guy on passing downs only (DE), one guy who looks merely okay and certainly no better than another player (Charles Clay) picked in a latter round (TE). The remaining six draft picks have not contributed enough to mention.

Dustin Keller was hurt so we can't judge him. Brent Grimes seems like a good pickup. Everyone else is a dissapointment and most are clearly worse than who they replaced.

If that was what you had to show for results, given what you had to work with......in number of draft picks, exsisting talent, and FA money to spend.....how do you defend keeping your job?
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
Lets pretend we are the GM of the dolphins in 2013. If I am not mistaken these are the draft picks:

1st Round (Assigned #12 Overall)
2nd Round (Assigned #42 Overall)
2nd Round (Colts Subject to change)
3rd Round (Assigned #77 Overall)
3rd Round (Chicago #82 Overall)
4th Round (Assigned)
5th Round (Assigned)
7th Round (Assigned)
7th Round (Dallas Ryan Cook)

We have Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, and Sean Smith. You don't "have" to get rid of them. The money is there to keep them.

Ireland decided to part company with all the guys above and to spend big in FA. Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler, Dustin Keller, Tyson Clabo, and Brent Grimes were added.

Now imagine you are the GM. You know what talent you have, the number of draft picks you have, and the money you can spend on FA's. You should be licking your chops. You should be able to add enough talent, given what you have to work with, to make a big impact.

We know what impact Ireland's choices have made so far. Here are the draft picks:
1 - Dion Jordan (has played very little), 2 - Jamar Taylor (hasn't done anything really), 3 - Dallas Thomas (hasn't seen the field), 3 - Will Davis (hasn't done anything really), 4 - Jelani Jenkins (again hasn't done much), 4 - Dion Sims (has played some but hasn't been impressive by any means), 5 - Mike Gillislee (hasn't done anything), 5 - Caleb Sturgis (the only starter of the bunch so far) 7 - Don Jones (special teams contributor)

So let me see, out of nine draft picks we netted one starter (kicker), one guy that has played limited minutes and shown the potential to be an impact guy on passing downs only (DE), one guy who looks merely okay and certainly no better than another player (Charles Clay) picked in a latter round (TE). The remaining six draft picks have not contributed enough to mention.

Dustin Keller was hurt so we can't judge him. Brent Grimes seems like a good pickup. Everyone else is a dissapointment and most are clearly worse than who they replaced.

If that was what you had to show for results, given what you had to work with......in number of draft picks, exsisting talent, and FA money to spend.....how do you defend keeping your job?

It's this ^^^ thought process that is the source of great and un necessary pain.

1. Please understand that when the system changed due to yet another coaching change the players have to change along with it. Jake Long would have been useless here and you would have killed ireland for not seeing the signs of his decline. Sean Smith does not fit Coyle's defense and Danelle Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler are younger and faster with a higher upside than Dansby & Burnett.

2. Think about this. You are judging a draft class half way through it's first season. I have no empathy for self punishment.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
The best think for everyone is to stop following the team so close. As hard as it will be, take a step back. Dont look at their off season moves and just watch when you have a chance. It hit me today. There is nothing wrong with the coaching, its the players. I have never seem a worse screen team. That would be the perfect play for a team giving up so many sacks. Rule number one in constructing a team, invest and secure the O and D-line. You cannot do anything without a line.

Or... just stop getting so emotionally invested?

I've been this sane so long as a Dolphins fan because my first love is the NFL, my second love is the Dolphins. While I want my team to do well, I enjoy watching and being a fan of the NFL in general, and that is more important to me.

Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all reality Miami has been a dead beat team the the last decade. Jimmy Johnson came in after Shula and breathed some new life in a good team and after 5 years of building Miami into a division winning playoff team Jimmy quit.
Miami has been a dying organization since that day. Wannstadt stepped in and rode what Jimmy built until he killed it in 3 short seasons. In the 10 seasons since Miami has had 4 no talent coaches 2 useless GM's and an owner that has no clue how to build a winng organization in the NFL.
As a life long ( 40 years ) Dolphin fan just this year I have finally faced the truth that has been evident the last 7 or 8 years that Miami is no longer an elite franchise in the NFL and never will be with Ross as an owner.
With only 2 winning seasons the last 9 years Miami is what it is , a losing franchise and I personally do not believe this is going to change in the next 5 to 10 years. I hate this knowing what a proud winning tradition Miami has had, but just like the Raiders and Browns the Dolphins glory days are in past history.
My final thoughts on this long rant of mine is that I have promised mysely that I will never be excited about anything in the future of this franchise but a changing of GM and at some point the owner.
I still love the Dolphins and will root for them every game knowing there will be way more loses then wins.
Go PHINS!
CaptainStubing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the phins just don't give up. they are erratic but just when everyone leaves them for dead, they come back to life.

you have to appreciate their scrappiness, at the very least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: