Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The goodbye Jay Mock Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
My issue with the Foles trade is that I think they require a 1st. And I just don't know what they woukd want to do at QB. Vick is getting long in the tooth, and is injury prone, so they would need to sign a new QB or hope they could draft a QB that can learn and play the system better than Foles. Would Chip be looking at an uber-mobile QB like Manzel (if he declares) or do they want to spend a 1st to get a QB they think can be elite in the system? Desean is having his best year and Cooper has been solid, and they might have the inside track to bring Maclin back (and we all know hoe much Chip loves speed).

I just doubt they would part with Foles without a significant moe being made at QB. Their offense was so stagnant at times I think the price would be over inflated for Foles if he just plays average from here on out.

It depends if Philly really wants to trade Foles. If they are serious he will dealt for a 2nd rounder like Cassel, Smith, Kolb and McNabb. If they really don't want to deal him they will ask for a 1st knowing teams wont bite more than likely. Don't under estimate the power of coaching ego either. Foles is a Andy Reid pick not a Chip Kelly pick.

True, I still think there will be a someone who would overbid for him, and Emery won't do that. There is a deep draft class at QB this year, and Emery/Trestman could also have that same ego. They didn't pick Jay, and Trestman even compared Tebow to Anthony Calvillo, his starting quarterback in Montreal, after he worked Tebow for the draft. So Trest is not short of confidence in his own abilities either. lol

So they have the full spectrum to go for, solid athletes, players who have great physical tools like Thomas, highly efficient players, etc. It will be interesting to see what Trestman and Emery go for in the offseason, because they will get their man this year. I think they will draft a QB. He might not start next year, but they won't risk skipping this class for what may be a weak class the next offseason. They'll be drilling on him and trying to get any technical flaws tempered out of him.

My question is will the QB talent in the 2nd round really be that good?

With the teams ahead of us in the 1st and 2nd round that need QB help I see little to no way that the top 5-6 guys make it to the Bears.

And then we are picking between Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron who are not great QB prospects compared to other 2nd round QBs like Dalton and Kaepernick.

Unless we are going to invest out 1st round pick I think we are looking at a long shot to replace Jay anytime soon.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
if we are replacing Cutler with Nick Foles I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Why?

He is producing, has the physical traits and not nearly the injury history.

I think what your seeing of Foles right now is not what your going to get. Watch the game vs Dallas and I think you see what he is going to be. Foles has been in the league 2 years and has already suffered a broken hand plus a concussion. So ofcourse he doesnt have nearly the injury history(not in the league nearly as long) but he isnt bullet proof.

For me this is a pretty obvious downgrade from Cutler and seems relatively pointless. Isnt he also under contract next year? Its only year 2 of a 4 year deal I'm pretty sure.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
My issue with the Foles trade is that I think they require a 1st. And I just don't know what they woukd want to do at QB. Vick is getting long in the tooth, and is injury prone, so they would need to sign a new QB or hope they could draft a QB that can learn and play the system better than Foles. Would Chip be looking at an uber-mobile QB like Manzel (if he declares) or do they want to spend a 1st to get a QB they think can be elite in the system? Desean is having his best year and Cooper has been solid, and they might have the inside track to bring Maclin back (and we all know hoe much Chip loves speed).

I just doubt they would part with Foles without a significant moe being made at QB. Their offense was so stagnant at times I think the price would be over inflated for Foles if he just plays average from here on out.

It depends if Philly really wants to trade Foles. If they are serious he will dealt for a 2nd rounder like Cassel, Smith, Kolb and McNabb. If they really don't want to deal him they will ask for a 1st knowing teams wont bite more than likely. Don't under estimate the power of coaching ego either. Foles is a Andy Reid pick not a Chip Kelly pick.

True, I still think there will be a someone who would overbid for him, and Emery won't do that. There is a deep draft class at QB this year, and Emery/Trestman could also have that same ego. They didn't pick Jay, and Trestman even compared Tebow to Anthony Calvillo, his starting quarterback in Montreal, after he worked Tebow for the draft. So Trest is not short of confidence in his own abilities either. lol

So they have the full spectrum to go for, solid athletes, players who have great physical tools like Thomas, highly efficient players, etc. It will be interesting to see what Trestman and Emery go for in the offseason, because they will get their man this year. I think they will draft a QB. He might not start next year, but they won't risk skipping this class for what may be a weak class the next offseason. They'll be drilling on him and trying to get any technical flaws tempered out of him.

With the teams ahead of us in the 1st and 2nd round that need QB help I see little to no way that the top 5-6 guys make it to the Bears.

And then we are picking between Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron who are not great QB prospects compared to other 2nd round QBs like Dalton and Kaepernick.

Unless we are going to invest out 1st round pick I think we are looking at a long shot to replace Jay anytime soon.

That's why it's highly unlikely they force the issue. If they don't extend Jay (and I wouldn't rule it out by any stretch) then he's getting tagged and they'll draft his potential replacement or long term backup (if he is eventually extended) somewhere between rounds 3 and 5 IMO.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Honestly we don't know if Foles would be that good either. I trust Trest and Emery to be able to get a QB in the draft to at least play well enough to manage the game efficiently, especially if we keep the same level of talent on the offensive side that we have now, especially when considering Jeffery can still improve and we should have no issue getting a better #3 and back up TE. I believe Foles would be a good starter, but I don't see him being elite by any means, nor do I think a 2nd couldn't be developed to manage and make the same plays Foles likely will from here on out.

Also to consider is what contract Foles will want financially. He may not be comfortable going into his contract year without a deal being made to extend him, while drafting a rookie would also allow for a longer evaluation period for Emery to give him a fair market extension. Foles would likely want a bigger deal than he is worth considering how inflated his stats have been this season, several INTs have been dropped, I remember two being dropped against the Giants.

I'm not against it, I'll be happy with whatever Emery and Trestman choose. They'll look at it from every angle and hopefully make the right choice.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: