Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The goodbye Jay Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: The goodbye Jay Mock Offseason Reply with quote

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Starting Cap Space: 47 Million[/COLOR]

Releases [20.1 million Saved]

DE Julius Peppers [15 million] Post June 1st cuts the cap cost in half.
WR Earl Bennett [2.3 million]
P Adam Podlesh [1 million]
WR Eric Weems [1 million]
RB Michael Bush [800K]

[color="#FF0000"]Cap Space: 67.1 million[/COLOR]

Re-Signings [28.8 Million Spent]

OG Matt Slauson 4 years 14 million/6 guaranteed

He has been a pleasant surprise at LG and brings increased size and physicality to the line. This line should be kept together and allowed to grow together.

Year 1: 2 million base/1 million guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 2 million base/1 million guaranteed [3]
Year 3: 3 million base/1 million guaranteed [4]
Year 4: 3 million base/1 million guaranteed [4]

CB Tim Jennings 4 years 28 million/12 guaranteed

He is a perfect fit in the defense and has been durable for the Bears while forcing a ton of turnovers. But Jennings is not a #1 CB and he does not fit in a system that runs man coverage so I think his price tag stays reasonable and the Bears can afford to keep him.

Year 1: 2 million base/3 million guaranteed [5]
Year 2: 4 million base/3 million guaranteed [7]
Year 3: 4 million base/3 million guaranteed [7]
Year 4: 6 million base/3 million guaranteed [9] *restructured or cut

DE Corey Wootton 3 years 15 million/6 guaranteed

He is young, verstaile and has stayed healthy and while he is not dominant he can start and provide a nice rotational player while grabbing 7-8 sacks a season.

Year 1: 1 million base/2 million guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 3 million base/2 million guaranteed [5]
Year 3: 5 million base/2 million guaranteed [7] *restructured or cut

K Robbie Gould 3 years 10.5 million/5 guaranteed

He is consistent and can kick at Soldier field which is not easy.

Year 1: 1.5 million base/1 million guaranteed [2.5]
Year 2: 2 million base/2 million guaranteed [4]
Year 3: 2 million base/2 million guaranteed [4]

DT Henry Melton 4 years 30 million/10 guaranteed

Lower guarantees on the deal protect against a slow recovery from the knee injury and if Melton is healthy he cashes 4 years at just under the franchise tag. This deal should be fair for both parties.

Year 1: 2 million base/2.5 million guaranteed [4.5]
Year 2: 5 million base/2.5 million guaranteed [7.5]
Year 3: 6 million base/2.5 million guaranteed [8.5]
Year 4: 7 million base/2.5 million guaranteed [9.4] *restructured or cut

CB Zack Bowman 2 years 3 million/1 guaranteed

Year 1: 1 million base/500k guaranteed [1.5]
Year 2: 1 million base/500k [1.5]

CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 2.5 million/500k guaranteed

Year 1: 500k base/500k guaranteed [1]
Year 2: 1.5 million base [1.5]

1 Year Deals [8.33 Million Spent]

S Anthony Walters [RFA] 1,323,000
WR Joe Anderson [ERFA] 550K
C Taylor Boggs [ERFA] 480K
LB Jerry Franklin [ERFA] 480K

LB James Anderson [1.5 million]
LB Blake Costanzo [750K million]
OT Eben Britton [1 million]
LS Pat Mannely [1 million]
FB Tony Fiametta [750K million]
P Tress Way [500K]

Extensions [2 million saved]

WR Brandon Marshall [1 year 9 million reminaing] 3 years 36 million/20 guaranteed [4 years 45 million/20 guaranteed]

Marshall will want an extension, he deserves an extension and with Cutler leaving the Bears should avoid the head ache with Marshall and sooth him with some money. Marshall has 4 good years left with his size and a game not reliant on speed and the Bears can still afford to extend Jeffery in 2 years, by extending Marshall again like they do with Briggs. This downm. needs to be together till the wheels fall off of Marshall and I am willing to sacrifice in other areas down the road.

Year 1: 4 million base/5 million guaranteed [9]
Year 2: 5 million base/5 million guaranteed [10]
Year 3: 8 million base/5 million guaranteed [13]
Year 4: 8 million base/5 million guaranteed [13]

LB Lance Briggs [1 year 6.5 million remaining] 2 years 10 million/6 guaranteed [3 years 16.5 million/6 guaranteed]

The Bears guarantee his base salary for 2014 and extend him for 2 years at 6 million a season. Briggs gets a fair deal and more guarantees and he gets to retire a Bear. Briggs is the defender who seems to be holding it together physically.

Year 1: 2.5 million base/2 million guaranteed [4.5]
Year 2: 4 million base/2 million guaranteed [6]
Year 3: 4 million base/2 million guaranteed [6]

[color="#FF0000"]Cap Space: 41.2 million[/COLOR]

Free Agency [37.5 million Spent]

S Jarius Byrd [Buffalo] 5 years 41 million/20 guaranteed

The pass rush market is probably going to get beat up by re-signings and franchise tags being handed out, so the Bears focus on fixing the secondary in free agency and drafting young, high upside, and cheap DL talent. Byrd is one of the best safeties in the league. He makes plays in the run game and in the pass game and he would give the Bears their first play making safety since Mike Brown. The safety play this season has been brutal this season and the hesitation that Byrd will cause will help a young DL.

Year 1: 5 million base/4 million guaranteed [9]
Year 2: 3 million base/4 million guaranteed [7]
Year 3: 3 million base/4 million guaranteed [7]
Year 4: 4 million base/4 million guaranteed [8]
Year 5: 6 million base/4 million guranteed [10] *restructured or cut

DE Michael Bennett [Seattle] 4 years 34 million/16 guaranteed

Michael Bennett is one of those free agents that makes too much sense, like Jermon Bushrod last season. The Bears have been for a pass rusher and probably will be shopping in the 2nd tier of guys, which leads them to Bennett. Added to the fact that he fits a need and a price point, Michael is the brother of Bears TE Martellus and may lead to a slight discount to reunite the brothers. Bennett can rush from the inside and out he is versatile and relentless and would be a huge upgrade over what Peppers is bringing right now.

Year 1: 4 million base/4 million guaranteed [8]
Year 2: 4 million base/4 million guaranteed [8]
Year 3: 4 million base/4 million guaranteed [8]
Year 4: 6 million base/4 million guaranteed [10]

CB Tarell Brown [San Francisco] 5 years 35 million/15 guaranteed

The Bears should move on from Charles Tillman whos health is too in question on a regular basis and his play has declined. Phil Emery has shown that he will not be sentimental and that he is paying for the future not the past. Brown is young and physical and he has shown in San Francisco that he is capable of playing against top WRs.

Year 1: 5 million base/3 million guaranteed [8]
Year 2: 3 million base/3 million guaranteed [6]
Year 3: 3 million base/3 million guaranteed [6]
Year 4: 3 million base/3 million guaranteed [6]
Year 5: 6 million base/3 million guranteed [9] *restructured or cut

C Brian De La Puente [New Orleans] 5 years 33 million/15 guaranteed

The Bears are 1 position away from being one of the most talented offenses in the league. The C position is a weakness right now and the Bears can address it with a Pro Bowl player in his prime who knows this system from his time with Kromer. De La Puente gives the Bears a C that can match up against Fairley, Sug and Raji.

Year 1: 6 million base/3 million guaranteed [9]
Year 2: 2 million base/3 million guaranteed [5]
Year 3: 2 million base/3 million guaranteed [5]
Year 4: 2 million base/3 million guaranteed [5]
Year 5: 7 million base/3 million guaranteed [10]*restructured or cut

TE Garrett Graham [Houston] 4 years 12 million/4 guaranteed

The Bears have no depth at TE and they do not have a TE that can catch a pass outside of Martellus Bennett. With the amount of 2 TE that the Bears run and the risk that Bennett gets injured the Bears need to invest in another pass catcher. Graham is a solid all around TE, but is a better reciever and has caught a lot of passes for the Texans as a #2 TE.

Year 1: 1 million base/1 million guaranteed [2]
Year 2: 1 million base/1 million guaranteed [2]
Year 3: 2 million base/1 million guaranteed [3]
Year 4: 4 million base/1 million guaranteed [5] *restructured or cut

LB Akeem Jordan [Kansas City] 1 year 1.5 million/1 guaranteed

The Bears need a back up veteran LB that can work behind Bostic and captain the special teams.

Year 1: .5 million base/1 million guaranteed [1.5]

Draft [3.7 million]

1[20] DT Ra'Shede Hageman [Minnesota] 6'6" 311lbs.

The Bears need more of an impact from the interior DL and more depth as Melton comes back from his ACL injury. You can never have too many good DLmen and Hageman fits all of Emery's criteria as he is an elite athlete and he is scheme diverse as he can play UT and 5 tech. Hageman is a former basketball player and TE and he is incredibly quick and athletic and he has been dominating the Big 10. Hageman's power and length allow him to impact a pass without having to get a sack. He can bull rush and collapse the pocket and he is talented at knocking passes down at the line of scrimmage. Hageman gives the Bears a dynamic 3 man rotation with Melton and Paea.

*Trade* The Chicago Bears trade 2[52] and a conditional 4[2014] to the Philadelphia Eagles for QB Nick Foles.

3[84] DE Chris Smith [Arkansas] 6'2" 268lbs.

With the addition of Michael Bennett the Bears have a player that can get them a conistent rush and be a leader to a young group. At LE they can rotate Corey Wootton and Shea McClellin hoping that both will take a step and improve. The Bears need to continue to add athletic young pass rushers that can rotate in making sure we have a consistent rush throughout the game and despite injuries. Smith is an explosive SEC rusher who has produced against top compeition and while he may not have the length he has the first step and power to affect the QB.

4. CB Bennett Jackson [Notre Dame] 6'1" 190lbs.

The Bears address the glaring need at CB with Brown, but they need to add players with starting potential down the road. Bowman and McManis are good special teamers and back ups, but neither is a long term starter at CB. Jackson is a leader of the Irish defense and is physical and will tackle, which is a must. Jackson might now have a ton of flash, but he can play.

5. WR/KR Dri Archer [Kent State] 5'8" 175lbs.

The Bears continue to add sub package back up offensive weapons to fill out their depth. Archer is a lightning quick slot WR that can also line up in the backfield and makes plays from multiple positions. He can also contribute in the return game. The Bears have the size covered in their WR core and now they need to add speed, even if it is only as a threat and decoy. He is a lot like Tavon Austin from last years draft and he goes in a more appropriate round and vlaue position.

6. S Jeremy Deering [Rutgers] 6'2" 200lbs.

There has been an influx of talented Rutgers DBs in the NFL drafted at all different stages of the draft and they have had success. Rutgers DBs are tough, well coached and athletic. Deering has the size and range to develop as a back up safety and to have an impact on special teams. The Bears need depth and Deering has more than enough talent to warrant time to develop.

6. RB James Wilder [Florida St] 6'1" 236lbs.

The Bears need a powerback to replace Michael Bush at a much more reasonable price tag. Wilder is big and he runs hard, which is more than we can say for Bush at this point.

Depth Chart

QB: Foles, McCown
RB: Forte, Ford, Wilder
FB: Fiametta
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Archer, Anderson
TE: Bennett, Graham, Onubon
LT: Bushrod
LG: Slauson, Brown
C: De La Peunte, Boggs
RG: Long
RT: Mills, Britton

RE: Bennett, Smith, Washington
DT: Melton, Paea
NT: Hageman, Minter
LE: Wootton, McClellin
SLB: Anderson, Costanzo, Franklin
MLB: Bostic, Jordan
WLB: Briggs, Greene
CB: Brown, Jennings, Bowman, Jackson, McManis, Frey [NB]
FS: Conte, Deering
SS: Byrd, Walter

LS: Pat Mannely
P: Tress Way
K: Robbie Gould
Nads786

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid look at a world without Cutler. My concerns:

-Jarius Bryd plays FS or can he play SS? I think Conte will be back and having two FS's seems redundant

-No other QB drafted in a deep qb draft? I would take the 3rd round WR and instead draft a QB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played high school football with Dri Archer and he has always been fast he would be a great pick up.

I don't necessarily think Nick Foles is the answer. I have a feeling any team that signs him could be running into a Matt Flynn situation, where he was great coming in for the packers but didn't really do much outside of that organization (and look where he is now.) If the bears do decide to replace cutler, I think they should draft AJ Mclaron (that guy from Bama)

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
I played high school football with Dri Archer and he has always been fast he would be a great pick up.

I don't necessarily think Nick Foles is the answer. I have a feeling any team that signs him could be running into a Matt Flynn situation, where he was great coming in for the packers but didn't really do much outside of that organization (and look where he is now.) If the bears do decide to replace cutler, I think they should draft AJ Mclaron (that guy from Bama)

Matt Flynn had 0 physical talent.

Nick Foles has a ton of physical talent and I think he would fit the Trestman offense far better than the Chip Kelly offense.

Cousins, is the type of QB Trestman has had success with in the past.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I would hate the free agency portion of this mock…I don’t like the idea of paying any safety that kind of money and there is no way Brown is that money either especially when you consider he will be 29 years old where we sign him…Tim Jennings isn’t going to take the same kind of money as Brown…as much as I am a fan of De La Puente I’m not sure we pay him that much…Bennett’s contract would be ok but the rest would be a concern in the long run.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Have to say I would hate the free agency portion of this mock…I don’t like the idea of paying any safety that kind of money and there is no way Brown is that money either especially when you consider he will be 29 years old where we sign him…Tim Jennings isn’t going to take the same kind of money as Brown…as much as I am a fan of De La Puente I’m not sure we pay him that much…Bennett’s contract would be ok but the rest would be a concern in the long run.

-I will pay for top safety play because it can have a positive effect on the guys in front of him. Great safety play like great pass rush can cover up mistakes.

-De La Puente is getting 6 million plus the good centres are getting 7ish so it would not shock me to see him break 7.

-Brown is a tough one and it is probably steep for him I agree.

I more wanted to show that without Cutler we have a TON of space to play with 40 million.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Marshall staying without Cutler. I don't think he'll sign an extension.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
I don't see Marshall staying without Cutler. I don't think he'll sign an extension.

He wants to win and with the talent he has around him, he knows he can be part of a great offense with the talent and coaching here. Jay won't be leaving to go to an elite team, he would be overpaid to go to a team that likely in a rebuilding mode. Marshall has been happy here and knows with Jeffrey on the other side, he won't be double and triple teamed like last year. He's going to put up numbers wherever he is, Cutler isn't the major reason for his success. Plus Marshall seems to relish the support he has gotten in Chicago. I don't know if he would take any sort of pay cut, but I would bet he is really happy in his situation here, rather than take a chance on going to a team and dealing with what he did in Denver and Miami's coaching and locker room issues.

Next year I'm adopting all the NFC North rivals

Thanks to chisoxguy7 for the awesome sig!
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we are replacing Cutler with Nick Foles I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
KG1187

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of restructuring and extending Briggs. Tillman and Briggs were drafted the same year and they both suffered prolonged injuries this season. Its been well documented in this forum about age, injuries, and recovery time. Briggs will be a year older by the end next season and he has already lost a step in coverage this year. The only way the Bears should extend Briggs is if he plays well and injury free next season. Leary about extending a player on the wrong side of 30 before you absolutely have to. Also the Bears should have a ton of cap space so the need to clear an extra million or two doesn't seem necessary. Granted the Bears do need to spread the money around with so many departures.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
if we are replacing Cutler with Nick Foles I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Why?

He is producing, has the physical traits and not nearly the injury history.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with the Foles trade is that I think they require a 1st. And I just don't know what they woukd want to do at QB. Vick is getting long in the tooth, and is injury prone, so they would need to sign a new QB or hope they could draft a QB that can learn and play the system better than Foles. Would Chip be looking at an uber-mobile QB like Manzel (if he declares) or do they want to spend a 1st to get a QB they think can be elite in the system? Desean is having his best year and Cooper has been solid, and they might have the inside track to bring Maclin back (and we all know hoe much Chip loves speed).

I just doubt they would part with Foles without a significant move being made at QB. Their offense was so stagnant at times I think the price would be over inflated for Foles if he just plays average from here on out.

Last edited by Sugashane on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
KG1187

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
My issue with the Foles trade is that I think they require a 1st. And I just don't know what they woukd want to do at QB. Vick is getting long in the tooth, and is injury prone, so they would need to sign a new QB or hope they could draft a QB that can learn and play the system better than Foles. Would Chip be looking at an uber-mobile QB like Manzel (if he declares) or do they want to spend a 1st to get a QB they think can be elite in the system? Desean is having his best year and Cooper has been solid, and they might have the inside track to bring Maclin back (and we all know hoe much Chip loves speed).

I just doubt they would part with Foles without a significant moe being made at QB. Their offense was so stagnant at times I think the price would be over inflated for Foles if he just plays average from here on out.

It depends if Philly really wants to trade Foles. If they are serious he will dealt for a 2nd rounder like Cassel, Smith, Kolb and McNabb. If they really don't want to deal him they will ask for a 1st knowing teams wont bite more than likely. Don't under estimate the power of coaching ego either. Foles is a Andy Reid pick not a Chip Kelly pick.
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be the most realistic offseason mock I've ever seen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

I just doubt they would part with Foles without a significant moe being made at QB. Their offense was so stagnant at times I think the price would be over inflated for Foles if he just plays average from here on out.

It depends if Philly really wants to trade Foles. If they are serious he will dealt for a 2nd rounder like Cassel, Smith, Kolb and McNabb. If they really don't want to deal him they will ask for a 1st knowing teams wont bite more than likely. Don't under estimate the power of coaching ego either. Foles is a Andy Reid pick not a Chip Kelly pick.

True, I still think there will be a someone who would overbid for him, and Emery won't do that. There is a deep draft class at QB this year, and Emery/Trestman could also have that same ego. They didn't pick Jay, and Trestman even compared Tebow to Anthony Calvillo, his starting quarterback in Montreal, after he worked Tebow for the draft. So Trest is not short of confidence in his own abilities either. lol

So they have the full spectrum to go for, solid athletes, players who have great physical tools like Thomas, highly efficient players, etc. It will be interesting to see what Trestman and Emery go for in the offseason, because they will get their man this year. I think they will draft a QB. He might not start next year, but they won't risk skipping this class for what may be a weak class the next offseason. They'll be drilling on him and trying to get any technical flaws tempered out of him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: