Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahoda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes Reply with quote

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=1495

Top 5 impact rookie draft classes:

1. Lions
2. Packers
3. Jets
4. Bears
5. Panthers
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:

1. Lions
2. Packers
3. Jets
4. Bears
5. Panthers

I am not an insider, so I could only read the first paragraph or so. Do they mention Warford? He has been our best rookie and they do not mention him. If I were making this list, I think I would have put New York first. Richardson has been a flat out stud and Geno Smith, playing the most important position on the field, has been much better than people expected, even if he does learn on the job and commit rookie mistakes. However, I think the list looks good and the Lions do have a strong case with Warford, Ansah, and Fauria. I think saying Slay has contributed is a bit of a stretch, although i think he will end up being a fine player later on in his career here.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes Reply with quote

CutParisLenon wrote:
ahoda wrote:

1. Lions
2. Packers
3. Jets
4. Bears
5. Panthers

I am not an insider, so I could only read the first paragraph or so. Do they mention Warford? He has been our best rookie and they do not mention him. If I were making this list, I think I would have put New York first. Richardson has been a flat out stud and Geno Smith, playing the most important position on the field, has been much better than people expected, even if he does learn on the job and commit rookie mistakes. However, I think the list looks good and the Lions do have a strong case with Warford, Ansah, and Fauria. I think saying Slay has contributed is a bit of a stretch, although i think he will end up being a fine player later on in his career here.

Sam Martin; Devin Taylor is starting right now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
CutParisLenon wrote:
ahoda wrote:

1. Lions
2. Packers
3. Jets
4. Bears
5. Panthers

So is LaAdrian Waddle. Riddick has also been great on special teams.

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN Ranked Top 5 Impact Draft Classes Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
CutParisLenon wrote:
ahoda wrote:

1. Lions
2. Packers
3. Jets
4. Bears
5. Panthers

True, I suppose I am undervaluing the great job Martin has done (minus the debacle against Cincinnati).

It would be very close between Detroit and New York.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny that they rank 3 NFCN teams and the one they didn't ,traded their entire draft away to get 3 first round picks. Laughing

Sig bet
Moparguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
I find it funny that they rank 3 NFCN teams and the one they didn't ,traded their entire draft away to get 3 first round picks. Laughing

That is a great point. Its amazing how much better the talent evaluation has become this year. Think back 6 months ago Here is what we were looking at on the O-line

Lt- Riley Reiff The Lions seemed poised to take a true LT in the draft and keep Reiff at RT. He ended up starting at LT since. And has been very solid. There seems to have been no drop off in the pass protection with the Backus retirement and the run blocking has been somewhat better

LG- Sims He was viewed as the surest bet coming back from a good 2012 season. This year he has been solid again, but honestly he is probably the weakest link at this point.

C- Raiola- A too small over the hill center who had declining skills and a big mouth. He his the weight room and refocused and has been one of the best centers in the NFC all year.

RG- Warford- A 3rd round pick that most viewed as the 3rd-5th best guard in a very good draft for them. But he was still considered a steep drop off from the top 2. Turns out not only has he been the best of the guards. But he is probably the best OL drafted this year and has been a top 5 rookie overall.

RT- Fox/Hillard/Waddle- Nobody knew what to expect in the crap shoot. Fox won the starting job and had talent but could not stay healthy. He lost the job to journeyman Hillard who has been simply a solid tackle over the year. He too gets injured and they are forced to turn to undrafted rookie Waddle.

He has been excellent since he began starting. The job is clearly his now and he looks to be a long term player at RT.

The Lions had a great draft. The only real mistake was drafting Slay. He may get better. The Lions simply need to stop thinking they are so much smarter than everyone else in the 2nd round. Besides Delmas none of them have worked out. For whatever reason they bypass the obvious and draft someone "better" who again turns into a dud.

Ironically fans last year wanted a various DB's and they drafted a WR. They DB's seem to have been better. This year most fans wanted a WR (like Keenen Allen) and they drafted a DB. Wrong both years
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Ziggy Ansah: has flashed some great playmaking ability, but has been understandably inconsistent. Given that this pick was made long-term, the production they have gotten from him so far is just a bonus.
2) Darius Slay: has probably been their worst pick when draft position is taken into account, but he does have talent. Still in development.
3) Larry Warford: this pick was a huge fan favorite and he has not disappointed. He's solidified that right guard spot and has been great next to (a rejuvenated) Raiola.
4) Devin Taylor: Some surprise and frustration with this pick, but all of the injuries on the d-line have certainly vindicated it. He's been solid, drawing raves from the coaches for his underrated performance.
5) Sam Martin: Another surprise pick, which infuriated a lot of fans, Martin is already a top-5 punter - he's 5th in the NFL in average, 4th in net average, 3rd in yards per punt return, and has the second-longest punt this season. The 4.7 net yards per punt increase the team has seen on his 41 points adds up to a 192-yard difference in yardage over Harris last year. For comparison sakes, that's almost twice as many yards as Reggie Bush has added in rushing yards over Leshoure from last year. Given expected draft slot value, this was their best and most impactful pick.
6) Corey Fuller: not on the team
6) Theo Riddick: has been part of the reason that Martin's average return yards has been so low, and has had a few touches on offense. Good value out of a sixth-rounder.
7) Michael Williams: didn't make the team
7) Brandon Hepburn: didn't make the team
UDFA Joseph Fauria: has 9 catches and 5 touchdowns.
UDFA LaAdrian Waddle: has dominated his opponents in his two starts since injuries put him into action. It should be his job to lose at this point.

The irony of the Lions' draft this year is that two UDFAs are outperforming their top two picks, who are not contributing to their potential yet. Scary good rookie class.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
1) Ziggy Ansah: has flashed some great playmaking ability, but has been understandably inconsistent. Given that this pick was made long-term, the production they have gotten from him so far is just a bonus.
2) Darius Slay: has probably been their worst pick when draft position is taken into account, but he does have talent. Still in development.
3) Larry Warford: this pick was a huge fan favorite and he has not disappointed. He's solidified that right guard spot and has been great next to (a rejuvenated) Raiola.
4) Devin Taylor: Some surprise and frustration with this pick, but all of the injuries on the d-line have certainly vindicated it. He's been solid, drawing raves from the coaches for his underrated performance.
5) Sam Martin: Another surprise pick, which infuriated a lot of fans, Martin is already a top-5 punter - he's 5th in the NFL in average, 4th in net average, 3rd in yards per punt return, and has the second-longest punt this season. The 4.7 net yards per punt increase the team has seen on his 41 points adds up to a 192-yard difference in yardage over Harris last year. For comparison sakes, that's almost twice as many yards as Reggie Bush has added in rushing yards over Leshoure from last year. Given expected draft slot value, this was their best and most impactful pick.
6) Theo Riddick: has been part of the reason that Martin's average return yards has been so low, and has had a few touches on offense. Good value out of a sixth-rounder.
UDFA LaAdrian Waddle: has dominated his opponents in his two starts since injuries put him into action. It should be his job to lose at this point.

The irony of the Lions' draft this year is that two UDFAs are outperforming their top two picks, who are not contributing to their potential yet. Scary good rookie class.

I agree with all of this.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Corey Fuller can be a good WR in this league.

The guys has some impressive tape.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Williams was IR'd, I believe due to an injury prior to final cuts so it's hard to say he "didn't make it." He may well have beat out Fauria for the 3 spot. I'm kind of glad he didn't at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:

Very well said.

I believe this was by far the best draft during Mayhew's tenure. It also coincides with the addition of Brian Xanders.

Xanders was brought on board to create a data base to allow the Lions to better evaluate both prospects and players. It appears the early results of Xanders contributions have been outstanding.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Michael Williams was IR'd, I believe due to an injury prior to final cuts so it's hard to say he "didn't make it." He may well have beat out Fauria for the 3 spot. I'm kind of glad he didn't at this point.

I think they may have kept Fauria anyway. At least on the practice squad.

That said, I like what Michael Williams brings to the table and we could definitely use him right now with Scheffler out of the picture. We only have two TEs on the roster, and one of them is essentially just a big wide receiver they employ almost exclusively in the red zone.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: