Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

As A Fan, Is The Patriots Lack Of Media Access Frustrating?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: As A Fan, Is The Patriots Lack Of Media Access Frustrating? Reply with quote

Just a little thought that popped into my head that I have never asked of anyone on FF before and I think maybe it's just me, but I find the lack of media access the Patriots provide is mystifying, interesting and frustrating at time.

I understand exactly where it all comes from: The media is an unnecessary distraction. But as fans of the NFL where media access seems to be everywhere, with TV interviews, podcasts and of course the press conferences etc. the Patriots trotting out BB and Brady every week, spouting the same company lines every week (I'm sure every Patriot is trained on how to deal with the media and answer questions without saying anything really) gets a little tiresome and boring. Sometimes you'll get BB in inspiring form (Tebow acquisition and Hernandez situation) where his shooting down of questions IS the entertainment, but I feel I'd prefer it if there was a little more transparency with the team and the nature of answers differed a little more than they currently do.

I don't know, maybe I'm on my own, of course I'm nitpicking here, clearly they aren't doing anything wrong because they are consistently contending for SB's but purely as a fan, sometimes the non-game media for the Patriots fans is lacking a little.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all used to it - at least I am. It's been more than a decade (damn) of the same culture. The media hates it which I find pretty funny. But it gives them more room for speculation - good for talk radio but bad for journalism.
InRodWeRust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it seems like anytime I watch a recap of a Pats game on NFL Network or ESPN all they talk about is our opponent and how they won/lost and what they need to do in the future. Once in a blue moon they might mention an injured player coming back for the Pats but that's really it.

Do you remember when the Pats were 1-15?
Adopt-a-Patriot 2013: Duron Harmon - Safety Final 2013 Stats
Int: 2 Tot Tack: 24 Pass Def: 4 Fum Rec: 0
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not at all

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would do Hard Knocks just once before Brady retires.

But that is about the extent of my frustration.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
I wish they would do Hard Knocks just once before Brady retires.

But that is about the extent of my frustration.

This is the kind of thing I'm on about. Hard Knocks is just never going to happen and we all know it, which is a shame.

I believe that the Bill Belichick Football Life is the only time there has been a lot of media access, but of course, was only shown 2 years after everything had happened.

I'd love if we could get something else like that or at least not have to wait half a decade for something of that nature to surface.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first it was but I have gotten used to it (winning football games does help too Wink). In fact, I have grown to love BB's divisiveness of the media, it has its own form of entertainment.

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I could sell video of BB addressing the media as a sleep remedy on an infomercial.

Having trouble sleeping well have I got the solution for you. Introducing the Bill Belicheck press conference. Put it on and you'll be sleeping in no time.

It's actually a good thing to keep somethings from the media I just think he takes it way too far. The majority of the things are so insignificant what's the big secret. His monotone voice doesn't really help either.

It's too bad because I'd love to see Gronk be able to let loose a bit more. What a great personality he could be but Belicheck just won't loosen the leash. He's a peacock you gotta let him fly.

Props to Mack on the sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
I feel like I could sell video of BB addressing the media as a sleep remedy on an infomercial.

Having trouble sleeping well have I got the solution for you. Introducing the Bill Belicheck press conference. Put it on and you'll be sleeping in no time.

It's actually a good thing to keep somethings from the media I just think he takes it way too far. The majority of the things are so insignificant what's the big secret. His monotone voice doesn't really help either.

It's too bad because I'd love to see Gronk be able to let loose a bit more. What a great personality he could be but Belicheck just won't loosen the leash. He's a peacock you gotta let him fly.

There is no upside from a football point of view and only downside to 'letting loose' or disclosing info in press conferences.

I watch football to see the Pats win. If I wanted to see trashy personalities or 'reality' programming I would watch Jersey Shore. I'm glad Belichick sees it the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the opposite. I love it. I don't at all envy other fans' dutifully defending the most recent boneheaded insinuation or prediction their player/coach has made. I like to see them play football well, I enjoy it when they win. I don't need to know what they all think/do outside football. And if keeping shtum about it makes the football on the field better, then that's all to the good.

More than that, the epic blandness of Belichick's deadpan pressers I find hysterically funny.

Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's press conferences are more entertaining than any season of Hard Knocks could ever be.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Bill's press conferences are more entertaining than any season of Hard Knocks could ever be.
Yeah, if you're into Wes Anderson movies.

Which I am.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been on the other side of the coin for a few years, consider yourselves lucky.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Having been on the other side of the coin for a few years, consider yourselves lucky.

Ah, yes.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Naq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy being the San Antonio Spurs of the NFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: