Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 11 GDT Lions at Steelers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the winner is?
Lions
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Steelers
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
Why did we fake a FG?! That looked like the dumbest decision ever. Didn't see it or why but from the time on the clock and the score not to mention the distance, why would you not take the FG?

Really, with how the game had unfolded up until that point, I don't think anyone expected the Steelers to begin a 8+ minute drive. There were over 12 minutes left, and they must have seen something on film to make them think it was a good decision. (The hole was initially huge on the play, but the Steelers reacted well.)

I disagreed with the call at the time, and it was clearly a significant play in the game, but some blame must also be placed on the defense for how they were manhandled (especially during that long drive).

Sorry what drive? Sorry again I wasn't able to see the second half and nothings worse to lose and not really know how it happened. TL, if you don't mind who played well and who played bad in this one? I know Mathis has been alright for us, but I seem him get burned quite a bit and don't see why Slay doesn't get more of a chance. I know he gets beat but he is in position to make a play when he does. Did he get any playing time this game?

Slay didn't stand out during the game, if he was even on the field. It seemed like his snaps went elsewhere, which is a shame: he's certainly raw, but has upside.

After we failed on the fake FG attempt, the Steelers went on a 8+ minute drive that ended in a TD. Before that point, it seemed like we'd have plenty of time to get the ball back and rectify the failed attempt, but that wasn't the case: we next touched the ball down by 3 with 2-ish minutes left, and Stafford was forced to throw it up late in the game (which happened to get intercepted). On the play prior to that pass, Ross dropped a wide open pass past the first down marker.

Houston didn't have a great game by any means: he was an ineffective tackler for the most part, and seemed threaten by Brown's speed, playing off him considerably despite having safety help over the top. Quin was solid: broke up another would-be TD in the end zone. Both Levy and Mathis dropped easy INTs. Delmas forced an incomplete pass on a key 3rd down, which was initially ruled a catch: he insisted that the pass was dropped, and Schwartz challenged the play.

It's hard to limit the blame to just one aspect of the team this week. The defense struggled, the offense failed to make needed plays, and the coaches seemed to outsmart themselves. Warford had a dominant game, though, and Bell was very good before leaving due to injury.

Thanks. In the first half we dropped or missed out on a couple INTs that would have kept points off the board. We really need a play maker in the back end that gets picks. We just don't get INTs and its really killing us.

I wouldn't say that... we have 11 picks this year, the league leader has 13. I do agree we should have held onto the easy ones today, though. That was probably the difference in the game

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game was doomed from the start. The Steelers have never lost in those uniforms once they were brought back.

R.I.P. Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about hot n cold. We could beat anyone in the NFL if we played like we 2nd QTR. But we were Jagsesqu after that. That ;long drive BTW was 8 Min and went 97 yards. Their line is garbage and we got no pressure it seemed.

Fortunately Pack lost but Bears won. We have .5 game lead on them is all.

Sig bet
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our D has a long way to go.. we need some DEs and cbs in the worst way. On offence we need some catchers...

A lot of plays missed by both sides. Tampas not gonna be any easier so lets hope they don't take them lightly.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was watching the game @ a bar, why did they kick the fg on there opening drive(or 2nd 1 i forget which 1) where staff missed megatron on the 4th n 5? we should have won that game with how bad we played minus the 2nd quarter n we had a chance to go up by 10 where we stalled at the 1 yard line or w/e we were..
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It it what it is and unfortunately everyone seems focused on a few plays when in reality the Lions had so many opportunities to win this game it was almost funny.

Lets put a few things in perspective.

The Lions are a dome team and were playing outdoors in the rain and at times the rain was very heavy.

Many will say the Lions have to overcome the elements and that's true however its not really a good grasp on reality. A dome team is always going to struggle in poor weather simply due to inexperience.

I'm not picking on Stafford but it certainly wasn't his best game. In the first quarter he missed some wide open plays that would have changed the rhythme of the game by having the a steelers down early. I'm not surprised by his performance because a wet ball is just that much harder to throw.

The receivers were having problems with drops but again, finger tip catches and off balance grabs become that much harder when its wet. The difficulty in securing a wet ball is exaggerated when Stafford throws a rocket that's to high or behind the receiver. It's just makes a hard catch that much harder. On a positive note that wet ball prevented what easily could have been three more interceptions.

In the running game field conditions made Bush ineffective. His skill and yardage is dependant on the quick cuts and change of direction he can achieve. It's also dependant on secure footing which wasn't present yesterday. I didn't notice if he tried other footwear but it was obvious cleats weren't getting the job done. During inclement weather in the CFL RB's and CB's have had good success using a running shoe and placing staples in the sole. I could be wrong but I just didn't notice any attempt at alternative footwear.

In the running game it was pretty obvious that Bells running style was more effective on the rotten field. Straight ahead power was the way to go.

It was pretty obvious in most facets of the game that any position requiring good footing was at a solid disadvantage. It's really unfortunate Stafford and the receivers couldn't take advantage of that. Corners having to react to the receivers route places them at a disadvantage and with the exception of the 2nd quarter the Steelers secondary was full marks for the game.

While I've been pleased with Durham's progress yesterday seemed to indicate that once CJ is neutralized the Lions are inadequate at the 2 and 3 receiver slots.

So once again CJ neutralized by the secondary and Bush neutralized by the field and the Lions had nothing on offence.

I don't blame them for all the pass attempts on the goal line. They obviously felt they had seen something from up top they could capitalize on or simply weren't confident with the lack of footing and time remaining.

The missed fake was a gamble gone wrong. I saw comments earlier about why do that with a rookie holder, in the rain. My response would be why not? It was the ultimate surprise because no one expected it. Its one of those calls where the coach is a hero when it works but a bum when it doesn't.

From a personal perspective and not relating to just this game but I've been somewhat disappointed by the defensive line. I recognize they are doing O.K. With QB pressure and hits but I'm really not impressed by the lack of sacks. While its only one category I think its the most important in terms of getting inside a QB's head and making them get happy feet. I haven't looked at the potential free agent crop but I would like to see a very effective DE brought in to assist with the development of Ansah and Taylor. They both have great potential but I think they as well as Young wouldn't be hurt by adding a really competent veteran. At least in Ansah's absence Taylor has been getting more snaps. I view him as an excellent prospect and experience is key in his development.

So all told a disappointing although not totally unexpected result. Hopefully the experience in this game pays dividends down the road. The Lions still control their destiny and both the North crown and playoffs are very much within their grasp.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
It it what it is and unfortunately everyone seems focused on a few plays when in reality the Lions had so many opportunities to win this game it was almost funny.
Yes. We should have won by a blowout but we didn't capitalize on opportunities and we didn't make the right decisions.

Quote:

The Lions are a dome team and were playing outdoors in the rain and at times the rain was very heavy.

Many will say the Lions have to overcome the elements and that's true however its not really a good grasp on reality. A dome team is always going to struggle in poor weather simply due to inexperience.

We need to learn how to play in the elements though. The playoffs aren't going to be all dome games.

Quote:
I'm not picking on Stafford but it certainly wasn't his best game. In the first quarter he missed some wide open plays that would have changed the rhythme of the game by having the a steelers down early. I'm not surprised by his performance because a wet ball is just that much harder to throw.

The receivers were having problems with drops but again, finger tip catches and off balance grabs become that much harder when its wet. The difficulty in securing a wet ball is exaggerated when Stafford throws a rocket that's to high or behind the receiver. It's just makes a hard catch that much harder. On a positive note that wet ball prevented what easily could have been three more interceptions.
Yes. Both Stafford and the receivers missed on some big opportunities. I am really disappointed in Stafford this game. Big misses. Did Calvin get hurt in the first half? He didn't seem to get targeted too much in the second half.

Quote:
In the running game field conditions made Bush ineffective. His skill and yardage is dependant on the quick cuts and change of direction he can achieve. It's also dependant on secure footing which wasn't present yesterday. I didn't notice if he tried other footwear but it was obvious cleats weren't getting the job done. During inclement weather in the CFL RB's and CB's have had good success using a running shoe and placing staples in the sole. I could be wrong but I just didn't notice any attempt at alternative footwear.

In the running game it was pretty obvious that Bells running style was more effective on the rotten field. Straight ahead power was the way to go.
Bush shouldn't have seen the field in the second half. Bell should have gotten everything in the second half to build on a huge second quarter.

Quote:
It was pretty obvious in most facets of the game that any position requiring good footing was at a solid disadvantage. It's really unfortunate Stafford and the receivers couldn't take advantage of that. Corners having to react to the receivers route places them at a disadvantage and with the exception of the 2nd quarter the Steelers secondary was full marks for the game.

While I've been pleased with Durham's progress yesterday seemed to indicate that once CJ is neutralized the Lions are inadequate at the 2 and 3 receiver slots.

So once again CJ neutralized by the secondary and Bush neutralized by the field and the Lions had nothing on offence.
I just don't think that they adjusted well. Stafford was having a bad game so I didn't expect anyone outside of Calvin to do anything. I think if Stafford was on his game and we used Bell more, then it wouldn't have been as bad.

Quote:
I don't blame them for all the pass attempts on the goal line. They obviously felt they had seen something from up top they could capitalize on or simply weren't confident with the lack of footing and time remaining.

The missed fake was a gamble gone wrong. I saw comments earlier about why do that with a rookie holder, in the rain. My response would be why not? It was the ultimate surprise because no one expected it. Its one of those calls where the coach is a hero when it works but a bum when it doesn't.
I think we were trying to get too tricky. If would be smart if it works and it looked like they were thrown off guard but should have just put points on the board. This is hindsight though.

Quote:
From a personal perspective and not relating to just this game but I've been somewhat disappointed by the defensive line. I recognize they are doing O.K. With QB pressure and hits but I'm really not impressed by the lack of sacks. While its only one category I think its the most important in terms of getting inside a QB's head and making them get happy feet. I haven't looked at the potential free agent crop but I would like to see a very effective DE brought in to assist with the development of Ansah and Taylor. They both have great potential but I think they as well as Young wouldn't be hurt by adding a really competent veteran. At least in Ansah's absence Taylor has been getting more snaps. I view him as an excellent prospect and experience is key in his development.

So all told a disappointing although not totally unexpected result. Hopefully the experience in this game pays dividends down the road. The Lions still control their destiny and both the North crown and playoffs are very much within their grasp.
We do need another DE on the other side.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

Good, objective writeup

I like how you pointed out that there are multiple reasons why we lost. It's hard to point at one thing; although I think the defense is the most significant thing.

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a game in recent memory where I can spread the blame around so evenly. Stafford missed throws, receivers dropped passes, running backs struggled at times, key blocks were missed, defensive line failed to provide consistent pressure, defenders missed tackles and dropped sure INTs, and the FG unit failed to execute. Even then, we were close.

But being close doesn't make for a Super Bowl contender. It shows just how far away we really are.

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't think there's a game in recent memory where I can spread the blame around so evenly.

Well said sir.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Yes. We should have won by a blowout but we didn't capitalize on opportunities and we didn't make the right decisions.

Quote:

We need to learn how to play in the elements though. The playoffs aren't going to be all dome games.

Quote:

Yes. Both Stafford and the receivers missed on some big opportunities. I am really disappointed in Stafford this game. Big misses. Did Calvin get hurt in the first half? He didn't seem to get targeted too much in the second half.

Quote:

Bush shouldn't have seen the field in the second half. Bell should have gotten everything in the second half to build on a huge second quarter.

Quote:

I just don't think that they adjusted well. Stafford was having a bad game so I didn't expect anyone outside of Calvin to do anything. I think if Stafford was on his game and we used Bell more, then it wouldn't have been as bad.

Quote:

I think we were trying to get too tricky. If would be smart if it works and it looked like they were thrown off guard but should have just put points on the board. This is hindsight though.

Quote:

We do need another DE on the other side.

Yes, the team needs to learn how to play in the elements but that doesn't just happen. Unlike learning to run a route by repetition over a few weeks the Lions only have a maximum 7 outdoor games per year so the experience takes time to accumulate. Generally a few seasons. The experience can be hastened by practicing outdoors during wet or unseasonal weather I'm just not sure if they do it.

I agree with you about hindsight and the play calling. As a result of watching Bob Stoops stubborn streak of continuously, " going for it," I'm always a fan of taking the points especially early.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't think there's a game in recent memory where I can spread the blame around so evenly. Stafford missed throws, receivers dropped passes, running backs struggled at times, key blocks were missed, defensive line failed to provide consistent pressure, defenders missed tackles and dropped sure INTs, and the FG unit failed to execute. Even then, we were close.

But being close doesn't make for a Super Bowl contender. It shows just how far away we really are.

I agree with you for the most part. There were errors committed by every unit of the team. So often when playing in inclement weather or on a terrible field mistakes are what win and lose games.

With the bolded part I'm not sure how I feel.

In the NFL anytime you're the visiting team it's going to be tough to win. We saw the Bronco's make a number of un characteristic mistakes at Indy which resulted in their first loss of the season. My point is in the NFL there is a great deal of parody and a large number of unexpected losses. I really feel those games have to be viewed as part of a body of work.

I really feel the biggest impediment for the Lions yesterday was the weather. Every aspect of their game from push on the defensive line to Bush's running style were negatively impacted. Stafford is a big armed QB that throws with authority. The weather impacted his grip as well as the grip of the intended target. It even impacted the Steelers ability to corral the ball on a couple of errant throws I thought were guaranteed interceptions.

This game has the potential to be a huge learning opportunity for every member of the team including the coaching staff. Hopefully they can review the tape and realize how the weather changes the players limitations.

While the loss is frustrating and a dissapointment we saw some good things to. The team didn't quit. They were down 14 early and fought back. It's just sad they couldn't put anything together in the second half.

So, while I agree with most everything you said I'm less inclined to view this game as a definitive statement about where they are on the road to contention and eventual Super Bowl WIN. Wink

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I agree with you for the most part. There were errors committed by every unit of the team. So often when playing in inclement weather or on a terrible field mistakes are what win and lose games.

With the bolded part I'm not sure how I feel.

In the NFL anytime you're the visiting team it's going to be tough to win. We saw the Bronco's make a number of un characteristic mistakes at Indy which resulted in their first loss of the season. My point is in the NFL there is a great deal of parody and a large number of unexpected losses. I really feel those games have to be viewed as part of a body of work.

I really feel the biggest impediment for the Lions yesterday was the weather. Every aspect of their game from push on the defensive line to Bush's running style were negatively impacted. Stafford is a big armed QB that throws with authority. The weather impacted his grip as well as the grip of the intended target. It even impacted the Steelers ability to corral the ball on a couple of errant throws I thought were guaranteed interceptions.

This game has the potential to be a huge learning opportunity for every member of the team including the coaching staff. Hopefully they can review the tape and realize how the weather changes the players limitations.

While the loss is frustrating and a dissapointment we saw some good things to. The team didn't quit. They were down 14 early and fought back. It's just sad they couldn't put anything together in the second half.

So, while I agree with most everything you said I'm less inclined to view this game as a definitive statement about where they are on the road to contention and eventual Super Bowl WIN. Wink

Can't disagree: this could absolutely turn out to be a great learning experience that pays dividends down the road. I was hoping that we'd prove why we belong on top of the NFC North; instead, the team showed me that they weren't ready for the spotlight. Sure, it's just one game in less-than-ideal circumstances, so I'm probably exaggerating, but there were too many plays that the big players make... that we couldn't come up with. We need those.

Team Stylish
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyguy1609 wrote:
i was watching the game @ a bar, why did they kick the fg on there opening drive(or 2nd 1 i forget which 1) where staff missed megatron on the 4th n 5? we should have won that game with how bad we played minus the 2nd quarter n we had a chance to go up by 10 where we stalled at the 1 yard line or w/e we were..

Staff didn't miss Megatron on the 4th and 5, he hit him perfectly and Calvin got both hands on the ball he just flat out dropped it.

It's getting really annoying how often that happens...as great as Calvin is and as much as he can take over a game when he's on he drops way too many easy ones...it's almost like your better off putting it in a position where it's a difficult catch because he honestly seems to handle them better than the easy "hit him in the hands" type balls.

2014 AAL: Larry Webster III
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
flyguy1609 wrote:

Staff didn't miss Megatron on the 4th and 5, he hit him perfectly and Calvin got both hands on the ball he just flat out dropped it.

It's getting really annoying how often that happens...as great as Calvin is and as much as he can take over a game when he's on he drops way too many easy ones...it's almost like your better off putting it in a position where it's a difficult catch because he honestly seems to handle them better than the easy "hit him in the hands" type balls.

Seems like from last year to now this is happening a lot more than usual. I don't think its an injury. Just mental focus. He has the hands shown in the amazing catches he does make.

Maybe he sees an easy pass and considers it an easy catch and is looking downfield? Someone of Megatrons talent shouldn't be dropping the passes he has been dropping.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 35 of 36

Jump to: